Hipix 8vsb mod recording? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2001, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the hipix rf input receive the rf output from an 8vsb modulator? 5000, or 6000 receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2001, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Yes on the 5000+8vsb mod.

No on the 6000. There isn't any 8vsb mod for the 6000, only an 8vsb demodulator.

------------------
Vance
My HT Pics

Old 06-08-2001, 06:14 PM
Sil

Does the hipix have firewire out so you can record
to DVHS,or is it a matter of just getting a firewire
card aswell.

Sil
Old 06-08-2001, 07:43 PM
PVR

HiPix has no firewire.

The software saves ATSC streams to the hard disk in invididual one minute (140mb) files.

Someone has (early beta) software to convert them to a DV type AVI wrapper format so they can be spooled (via add on firewire card) to DV camcorders.

Someone on this forum has an IDE drive hooked to a firewire hard drive they use to transfer the HiPix files.

What are you hoping to do? Archive HDTV to tape?

The HiPix saves regular files in the filesystem that can be saved to any archive device. The problem is they are so big that most archive devices are not enough to store full movies.

If someone comes out with a 20gb DVD-R burner with cheap media they will have alot of customers from this forum!
Old 06-08-2001, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
To be very clear, the accessory needed for the Dish 5000 to output an 8VSB signal for Dish HDTV channels (and other Dish channels with DD audio) is called the HDTV Modulator.

There is an 8VSB module for the 6000, which receives OTA 8VSB signals.

These two Dish accessories are very different and should not be confused.

------------------
"better living thru modern expensive electronics"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 06-09-2001, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for clearing this up. The 5000 is an output module and the 6000 has an input module. I wish I had known that a week ago before buying two input modules that I dont need. If you need one for your dish 6000 let me know.
Old 06-09-2001, 07:05 AM
Sil

PVR I'm looking to go from the firewire to a DVHS
machine so as to substitute the TU-DST50/51 for
the hipix card and firewire card.Is it possible?

Sil
Old 06-09-2001, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
To be very clear, the accessory needed for the Dish 5000 to output an 8VSB signal for Dish HDTV channels (and other Dish channels with DD audio) is called the HDTV Modulator.
There is an 8VSB module for the 6000, which receives OTA 8VSB signals.
These two Dish accessories are very different and should not be confused.
Ken H-
What about these two products?
Can either be used successfully to record with my Panasonic PV-HD1000 and DST-51... if I bought a Dish 5000 &/or 6000?
TIA,
Kurt

1.) http://www.iphones.ws/hdadmod50ond.html

2.) http://stores.yahoo.com/hightech/8votamodford.html

1.) [from their website]

High-Definition Television links...

PRODUCT INFORMATION:
HDTV DIGITAL MODULATOR

The HDTV Digital Modulator enables an existing Model 5000 receiver to receive and deliver DISH Network HDTV programming. This is accomplished when the Model 6000 receiver/HDTV digital modulator combination is connected to the customer's existing compatible HDTV digital tuner/decoder and high definition television. The modulator interfaces with the model 6000 receiver using the high-speed data port located on the rear of the receiver.

HDTV Digital Modulator Features:

F-connector-type coaxial output. Designed to interface with an existing HDTV Digital Tuner/Decoder through the antenna input.
F-connector-type coaxial antenna input to allow pass-through of a terrestrial digital signal.
Seamless interface when used with compatible HDTV models. Allows the user to seamlessly switch between DISH Network High Definition, DISH Network Standard Definition and terrestrial digital or analog broadcasts, all using the Model 6000 remote control. See "Products Tested for Compatibility" below.
Output port provides for the use of an IR extender to support the seamless interface (optional).
Supports Dolby Digital 5.1 sound when present in the source material and used with a Dolby Digital Decoder. The Dolby Digital interface to an external Dolby Digital Decoder is achieved via the SPDIF output on the HDTV Digital Tuner/Decoder.
Programming:
At this time, the antenna must be pointed to the 61.5 satellite position to receive our HDTV HBO East Channel (Channel 861).

Price:
$299.00 (Requires Model 6000 receiver with dish antenna, an HDTV and HDTV decoder/tuner, not included.)

Products Currently Tested Compatible With The HDTV Digital Modulator:

Compatible TVs With Built-In HDTV Tuners:

Philips (Model #64PP990103) -> seamless IF (code 710)
Samsung (Model #HCH55 1W) -> seamless IF (code 730)
Zenith (Model #IQB64W10W)
Hitachi (Model #61HDX98B)
Compatible Set-Top Box HDTV Digital Tuners

Mitsubishi (Model #HD-1080) -> seamless IF (code 700)
Panasonic (Model #TU-DST50W)
Zenith (Model #IQADTV1W)
Unity Motion (Model #HDR-1000A)
Please note: This list will continue to grow as more HDTVs are introduced and tested. Models in italicized print have been tested compatible with the seamless interface.

HDTV DIGITAL MODULATOR INSTALLATION DIAGRAM:

Please note: This example includes a stand alone digital television tuner/decoder. If the HDTV set has a built-in digital television tuner/decoder, a separate tuner is not needed. In addition, the connections between the digital television tuner/decoder, the HDTV set and the Dolby Digital Decoder may differ from what is shown here.

Availability: Usually ships in 5-7 business days.
HDTVMOD6000Regular price: $399.00Sale price: $359.00

2.) [from their website]
Works in the back of Dish6000 model HDTV receiver, just plug into Module Port (2), re-plug AC in, IRD will update itself and recognize the module, you can start to receive 8VSB local HDTV over-the-Air broadcasting.

This amazing OTA module is so sensitive, that it blow IT815ST hands down (although IT815ST has Sat C/Ku input, we are only comparing on local DTV 8VSB input). With a cheesy rabbit ear indoor antenna placed on top of our demo HDTV set, a Toshiba Direct-view CW34x92, aiming to Detroit, which is 50miles away, we can only get steady signal on CBS, NBC, the others are either breaking up, and never scanned in by IT815ST. When we started using Dish6000 and 8VSB module, it gets all 5 stations, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX. The PBS is most valuable because it showed really good contents of mostly HDTV documentary, demo, and I found these are different footage than the GE3 PBS HDTV we got off Ku band.

After you follow instruction and manully enter local station digital channel number (All USA 177 DTV stations Channel Number here ), those local TV will be combined with Dishnetwork channels, so when you press "GUIDE", you can find listed just above your HDTV demo, HDTV HBO and HDTV SHO channels. You can customize the name when you setup local channels, so it will show the name FOX instead of local station like (WJBK).

For example, even Detroit is ranked only 9th market, it has all major channels you need. For example, (simply enter the DTV Channel NUmber in the Dish6000 setup screen to grab channels) Network Local Channel DTV Ch.No.
UPN(new!) WKBD 50 14
ABC WXYZ 7 41
FOX WJBK 2 58
NBC WDIV 4 45
CBS WWJ 62 44
PBS WTVS 56 43

8VSB OTA module for Dishnetworks 6000 Receiver
8vsbmodule

Quality Product Guarantee
Old 06-09-2001, 08:33 AM

[quote]Originally posted by reality intrudes:
[b] Ken H-
What about these two products?
Can either be used successfully to record with my Panasonic PV-HD1000 and DST-51... if I bought a Dish 5000 &/or 6000?
TIA,
Kurt
[quote]

Ken H-
Maybe you could make your answers into a separate thread also? I know I have been following this forum religiously and I hadn't gleaned the info you had included in your response to stbartguy.
Thanks,
Kurt
Old 06-09-2001, 12:02 PM
PVR

The first web site listed is just plain wrong. They show a Dish 5000 HDTV modulator and then (mistakenly) say it is for a Dish 6000... They are wrong.

The second web site describes the (completely different product) 8VSB card for the dish 6000.

This is basically the summary you need:

1> The Dish 5000 HDTV modulator is an 8VSB _OUTPUT_ device.
2> The Dish 6000 8VSB card is an 8VSB _INPUT_ device.
Old 06-09-2001, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PVR:
This is basically the summary you need:
1> The Dish 5000 HDTV modulator is an 8VSB _OUTPUT_ device.
2> The Dish 6000 8VSB card is an 8VSB _INPUT_ device.
That says it.
Now to find one (5000 HDTV modulator) at less than an appendage in price.
Kurt