High price protestors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-19-2001, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noted a theme running through any thread that is about the "crazy" prices that any part of panny/dish combo is bringing on Ebay or else where. People seem upset that as demand for these out of production devices goes up, so does the price. I seem to remember something called the supply/demand curve from junior high. When was the last time you bought a consumer electronics product that apreciated in value? Call me crazy, but I happy to know that if I need the cash or get tired of HBO and Showtime HD movies, I can get my money back twice.

------------------
Joby in Fredericksburg

Joby in Fredericksburg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-19-2001, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Just don't forget, the demand will cease when a more elegant HDTV recording solution surfaces. I suspect this would be a VCR that uses low cost storage media like SVHS tape and has a built in tuner that can be subscribed to DBS providers. I see this as a VCR that is accessorized with three tuners, OTA, DISH Network, and DirecTV. Buy one or all three and connect them via firewire.

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01
post #3 of 4 Old 06-19-2001, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
As much as I wish that this stuff was cheaper. The "high" prices will actually help future supply. The free market works. It always has, and it always will.
Bert

------------------
STOP DFAST!!!
post #4 of 4 Old 06-19-2001, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I think everyone in this forum could see the demand coming a mile away. Demand has spiked mainly because the folks in the HTPC forum using WinTV-HD and HiPix cards need an 8-VSB source.

The two hard to find pieces are the modulators and the D-VHS recorders (although with the HM-DH30000 now available the D-VHS deck problem is going away; that leaves just the modulator).

This time last year I was just getting my HDTV recording rig together; I felt I was entering the hobby very late into the game. Anyone who wants 'the rig' now will pay dearly for it until a more commercial solution is available.

One piece of good news: it appears that the D-VHS tapes we're making now will be forward compatible with D-VHS decks yet to come.

-Dylan

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page