Experiences with the JVC HD-30000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-12-2001, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so I'm about ready to break down and get one - mainly for the ability to monitor (& "pause-edit") while recording. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

But, I figured I'd poll for feedback from existing owners. I've been following the various threads, and have been particularly concerned by Gridleak's seeming change of heart on these decks.

Any and all reports on your experiences are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Peter

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-12-2001, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

You can monitor your edits with two PV-HD1000 and a 50 or 51 set top box using a firewire hub.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-12-2001, 07:29 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Peter (and others) have been trying hard to achieve this, as detailed in this thread , but have had only limited success, hence Peter's question about the JVC. Do you have any more specific information beyond what's described there?

------------------

Ron Gomes

Ron Gomes
post #4 of 14 Old 06-12-2001, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Jeff -

Are you able to do this? If so, what brand of hub do you have? Please answer in this thread .

Peter

Peter
post #5 of 14 Old 06-12-2001, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Peter,
I just got a message from a JVC service rep regarding the ailing DH30000 I took in for repair on 4/24/01. They have ordered service manuals from JVC Japan, and will receive them in 60 days! Then they will continue their repair effort. Gee, maybe I'll get a service manual out of this.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I have another DH30000, but I find that I don't use it anymore, particularly since I've gotten the hub working with the HD1000's. Here's my 2 cents worth:

Pro
1) Tape transport is excellent, faster, quieter, and gentler than the HD1000.
2) Tapes made and played on the JVC offer preview during FF/Rewind.
3) Can monitor while copying.

Con
1) Difficult to keep in HD display mode.
2) Must unlink from DST50/51 before playing a tape.
3) Must put in DVHS mode manually if using SVHS tape.
4) Must set in HS mode manually before recording.
5) Can't use the STB timer because it frequently kicks the JVC out of HS mode.
6) Doesn't work with the Orange Micro hub.
7) Service, parts, manuals in English, etc don't exist.
8) One-second audio dropouts every half hour or so.

------------------
- gridleak... biased toward HD

-Roger
post #6 of 14 Old 06-12-2001, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the pros & cons!

Here's my take on the cons and whether they will or won't outweigh the pros for me:

Quote:
1) Difficult to keep in HD display mode.
8) One-second audio dropouts every half hour or so.
I'd like to hear more about these problems. For instance, do the dropouts depend on the DD decoder used (as seems to be the case with the HD1000)? It seems these affect the deck's utility as a primary playback source, but might be workable if concentrating on recording, editing and previewing/cueing.

Quote:
2) Must unlink from DST50/51 before playing a tape.
Why is this? How does it behave? Is it enough for the STB to be powered off? If not, maybe creative use of a firewire switcher would help (although #6 may suggest further problems with this approach). This would seem to impair the utility for editing and previewing/cueing quite a bit.

Quote:
3) Must put in DVHS mode manually if using SVHS tape.
4) Must set in HS mode manually before recording.
I've thought about #3 already. While some have suggested modifying every SVHS tape, I'd be more inclined to "hotwire" the switch which senses DVHS tapes (especially as I have no interest in using this deck for analog video). Do you think #4 is related to using SVHS tapes? Does it drop out of HS mode if using only DVHS blanks? If not, the hotwiring might do the trick. Otherwise, #4 might be addressed with creative use of Crestron remote macros.

Quote:
5) Can't use the STB timer because it frequently kicks the JVC out of HS mode.
Major bummer! This one also might also be addressed by having the recording externally controlled via the Crestron.

Quote:
6) Doesn't work with the Orange Micro hub.
This could be a <u>big</u> disadvantage given the setup I envision.

Quote:
7) Service, parts, manuals in English, etc don't exist.
Well, that's just something we have to live with if we're on the bleeding edge. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I look forward to hearing more about these problems. Meanwhile, it may be back to the other thread for me!

-----
Peter

[This message has been edited by peterd (edited 06-13-2001).]

Peter
post #7 of 14 Old 06-13-2001, 06:38 AM

Liked: 11
Audio dropouts:

Has anybody tried using an external Technics decoder with the 30000? Are the dropouts on the tape inself?

Hopefully, JVC will introduce the US version of the 30000 soon. This will then provide everything I need (I will keep my 5000 + mod of course). Let's keep our fingers crossed WRT compatability between the US/Japan versions!
post #8 of 14 Old 06-13-2001, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Robert - I'd go so far as to say "Let's keep our fingers crossed that there's ever a US version!" Other posts have suggested JVC is holding off on the US introduction. I'd love to have a US version (especially if it included an ATSC tuner), but the waiting game is not for me (i.e. I didn't bite on the 169time mod! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ).

-----
Peter

Peter
post #9 of 14 Old 06-13-2001, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Peter,

re: the hd display problem.

The DH30000 seems to default to a degraded display mode if it is turned off for more than a half hour or so. Some HD sources switch the DH30000 into full hd display mode, and some do not. While in full hd mode all sources display well but various actions, like FF, Rewind, record, and power off, will cause it to revert to the lo def display. It is truly annoying, particularly to those of us with large digital displays, where the flaw is very noticeable. Some, here, feel strongly that this is related to 5C copy protection, and I tend to agree. Although I haven't verified this, the lo def output has the appearance of a bandwidth limited hd signal. There is noticeable ringing, as would be expected with a sharp cutoff low pass filter. At this point nobody knows how to manage this problem.

re: audio cutout.

This was noted by Dylan in this thread and verified by others. The Technics decoder does not help.

re: unlinking from STB for playback.

The STB will immediately issue a stop command to the JVC when playback is attempted while the JVC iLink input is set to the STB. Turning off the STB or setting the JVC input to another port solves the problem.

If we ever get a service manual in English, I think we could hack this thing into shape, but until then, it's just more trouble than it's worth

------------------

-Roger
post #10 of 14 Old 06-13-2001, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

gridleak -

Thanks for elaborating. I still have a couple of questions, though (ok, http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/redface.gif you caught me, 3 or 4).

1. Which of these symptoms (such as the low-def display behavior) are related to switching the unit off? For instance, once set in HS mode does it stay for as long as it is powered up? (I'm happy to leave it on in a well ventilated rack installation.)

2. Re setting in HS mode manually before recording:
Do you think this is related to using SVHS tapes? Does it stay in HS mode if using only DVHS blanks?

3. What have you found when trying to use the hub? Is it the STB that complains? Does the hub work with just an HD1000 and a DH30000 attached?

4. (Slightly off topic...) Who did you get your machine from? I noticed in another thread that it wasn't Kwon. At least one importer suggests they include a translated manual...

Thanks again!

------------------
Peter

Peter
post #11 of 14 Old 06-15-2001, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Still looking for someone to elaborate on some of these problems.

Thanks

------------------
Peter

Peter
post #12 of 14 Old 06-16-2001, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The one feature that makes the JVC a mandatory purchase for the HD recording fanatic is its unique ability to play back both ATSC (North America and Korea) and BS (Japan) HD tapes without the need for an STB.
One can consider the JVC an HD multistandard VCR.

The audio dropouts only occur on ATSC tapes.

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
post #13 of 14 Old 06-16-2001, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry Peter, I kept forgetting to check on question number 2.

Regarding question 1, I need to make sure you understand that the JVC will ALWAYS record properly in hi def if the right buttons are pushed, namely mode is set to DVHS and speed set to HS. The problem I was referring to is it's tendency to slip into a down-rez'd display mode, when turned off for awhile. Leaving it on all the time would help, but occasionally some action (FF, changing tapes, etc.) will knock it back to the down-rez'd state. One solution is to record a 30 second "starter" on all your tapes, using some program material that always switches the JVC to hi def display.

On question 2, I still haven't verified this, but I'm fairly certain that it defaults to DVHS mode/STD speed when a DVHS tape is inserted. There is no "HS only" setting in the menu either.

On question 3, the STB doesn't complain, it just lets the JVC take over as master. The JVC can record from the STB, but the HD1000 records nothing but black.

I got my DH30000's from Michael and Kazu Reagan at videoit@pair.com. They charge a little more but did supply transformer, tapes, and a brief translation of the menu

------------------

-Roger
post #14 of 14 Old 06-19-2001, 09:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
tmitchmd,
I've noticed the audio dropouts on both Japanese BS tapes and ATSC tapes. I've even tried playing back these tapes from a PV-HD1000 (which works fine with BS tapes) and monitoring with the HM-DH30000. The dropouts still show up on both types. I have yet to find a way to get rid of them.

-Dylan

[This message has been edited by dahester (edited 06-20-2001).]

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page