HiPix or WinHD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2001, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have model 5000 with HDTV modulator and looking to record HDTV to hard drive. I need some suggestion on which card to buy and what are the pluses and minuses of both.

Thanks for any info you can provide,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2001, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The WinTV-HD and the Hipix are pretty much equivalent in terms of the hardware. They do use different demods, and the WinTV-HD can use video overlay to show an image on your computer monitor while viewing HD on another. The HiPix uses a VIP connector that is not well supported by graphics card manufactures.

Both can record, but at this time the HiPix software is better. It has more features and seems to be heading in the direction of a HiDef PVR. The WinTV-HD is also moving in that direction but at a slower pace software wise. I expect that at some point third party apps will appear that replace the manufacture supplied software and add features that are more useful to an actual home theater user. That will take a while though.

One important point is that you can actually purchase the WinTV-HD, while the HiPix has seen some manufacturing difficulties and is currently on back order. I'm not sure when the back orders will be filled, but it should be sometime in the next month.
Old 06-22-2001, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

By all means, IF you can find a Hipix then buy it! Only with the Hipix can you watch files recorded from a different Hipix/computer. What this means is that you can trade files with other users if you choose to do so. That feature alone makes the Hipix the only choice for me. If that feature is not important to you, then go with the other card.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

When I was using my WinTV-HD with version 1.7 software, HBO-HD from the modulator was unwatchable. It's fine on the HiPix. I don't know if Hauppauge addressed the issue in v 1.9.

[This message has been edited by balazer (edited 06-24-2001).]
Old 06-22-2001, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
In addition, the HiPix stores it's data using lots of individual files that are roughly 60 seconds long. This has some advantages if you're using Windows 98 or ME which doesn't support files larger than 2GB. The WinTV-HD stores the data in one big file
As far as I can tell the WinTV-HD stores it's data using files about 14 minutes long, just shy of the 2 GB limit. I've successfully recorded over an hour at a time and it does make multiple files okay, just not as many of them as the HiPix.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
Old 06-22-2001, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the info so far. I went to the website for WinHD and it says that it only displays everything in 480i.
Is this true, because I need to be able to watch HDTV in full resolution on my Panasonic HDTV.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

It's the AccessDTV card that encrypts the recorded data. Both the WinTV-HD and the HiPix store the ATSC transport stream in a modified but unencrypted format. The AccessDTV card uses the same demod as the WinTV-HD and can also use the video overlay feature of your graphics card. The software for the AccessDTV card is the most polished and consumer friendly at this point in time, but it costs more than either the WinTV-HD or the HiPix, it has a monthly fee to fully access all the features of the software, and encryption makes the files unplayable on any other machine. All of this makes this card a little less attractive to me.

In addition, the HiPix stores it's data using lots of individual files that are roughly 60 seconds long. This has some advantages if you're using Windows 98 or ME which doesn't support files larger than 2GB. The WinTV-HD stores the data in one big file.
Old 06-23-2001, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't get the WinTV-HD confused with the older and much cheaper WinTV-d model. The WinTV-d only displays at 480i, though it can record the full ATSC stream.

The WinTV-HD displays full HD resolution when in full screen though it will downconvert to 480i (or 480p?) if displaying in a window on your desktop.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

[This message has been edited by trbarry (edited 06-23-2001).]

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com