Panasonic Dish 5000 combo hook up? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2001, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have finally obtained a DST 50 / HD1000 and Dish 5000 with modulator. I have not yet purchased an HDTV monitor, so I am going to view things on an computer monitor for now. My question is how do I hook things to together, and what else do I need?

For recording it looks like I connect the Dish modulated output to the DST 50, and hook the DST 50 to the VCR with a firewire cable, and press record.

On playback, I think the signal goes back along the firewire and out of the Y Pb Pr outputs on the DST 50. Am I right so far? How do I get from Y Pb Pr to the RGB input (15pin D) on my computer monitor. Can one buy converters?

Referrals to any threads on this would be appreciated.

------------------
George Waters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2001, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know just how you feel, because I found it a very odd collection of hardware when I first got mine. It uses up a lot of A/V inputs if you hook it up as intended, but you probably don't actually need the analog outputs.

Do you have the manuals? They're not very good, but at least it's a starting point...

-Mark

Mark Schneider, Cable Solutions
Old 06-26-2001, 11:16 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

The TU-DST50 downconverts its output to NTSC. If you can get the S-video or composite video output to a conventional (NTSC) video monitor, you can confirm that the data is being received and recorded to (or played back from) the D-VHS tape.

If you can't use the NTSC output, and you don't have access to a component-to-RGB converter (Extron makes one called the CVC200, and Key Digital also makes one) then you might, as you suggested, be able to connect the Y output of the TU-DST50 to the green input on the monitor. I think it has to be the green input in order to get a stable image since sync information is provided sometimes on green but not (I don't think) on red or blue.

This presupposes that the computer monitor will take RGsB input. Many do.

------------------

Ron Gomes

Ron Gomes
Old 06-26-2001, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

George,
The device you need is made by www.keydigital.com. It's a component to RGB transcoder, part number KD-CTC. It was $200 when I got mine a few months ago. One of my recording stations is exactly as you described, and I have tried the transcoder with both a DST50 and a DST51. The monitor I use is a Sony Multiscan 20se. I believe any monitor capable of 1024x768 at 60 hz will work.

The resulting HD image is beautiful. The problem is you have to sit with your nose about a foot away from the screen to enjoy it

------------------
- gridleak... biased toward HD

-Roger
Old 06-26-2001, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, Ron, I didn't see your post.

------------------
- gridleak... biased toward HD

-Roger
Old 06-26-2001, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, last night when I attempted to connect it all together, I was suffering "connector shock" (the high tech version of sticker shock).

I have the manuals, so that helps, but I don't know what to do about the final video output. My aim is to use this set up for long term time shifting, that is storing some of current HDTV offerings until I can view them in HDTV when I get an RPTV, probably in the fall.

At the moment all I really need to do once I have hooked it together is to verify that I am really recording HDTV to the tape. Since I do not have a Y Pb Pr display, I was thinking of connecting the Y luminance output to one of the RGB inputs on my computer monitor so I can verify the recording in monochrome (eg green and white).

Alternatively, is the playback converted back to RF so I can use another STB (Unity Motion) to get me to RGB? More reading required!

------------------
George Waters
Old 06-26-2001, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
George,

You don't really need an HD monitor, and you don't really need any converters, you can use any TV with a video input. The TU-DST5x receivers have NTSC output, which should be good enough to verify that you are getting recordings. The 51 is somewhat better than the 50 in this regard, but either will work for your purpose.

Of course, if you really *want* to hook it up to a computer monitor, that's fine too, but you'll need a box to make it look good.

-Mark

Mark Schneider, Cable Solutions
Old 06-26-2001, 11:20 PM

The Key Digital product is available at www.copperbox.com for $179. Works well and is considerably cheaper than the Extron unit.

Regards, Peter