Record Cable 8VSB with Hi-Pix? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-27-2001, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed the posts about using the Hi-Pix card to record HBO-HD from the Dish 5000/8VSB modulator combo. Unfortunately, with 8VSB modulators going for upwards of $800, it doesn't seem to be a very cost-effective solution.

It also seems possible to hack the DTC-100 to extract the ATSC bitstream, but a post I put up on the HDTV Hardware forum didn't seem to generate much interest.

So here's the next idea: TWC in Raleigh apparently uses straight 8VSB modulation for HBO-HD. The question is, can the Hi-Pix "tune" to high channel numbers? I believe that channel 223 on TWC is used for HBO-HD.

If the Hi-Pix/AccessDTV/WinHDTV cards can be made to tune to a high channel number, this seems like a decent route to HD recordable movies.

Any thoughts?

------------------
ABC = Another Boring Channel. Watch CBS on Monday Nights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-27-2001, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Are you sure that HBO-HD is transmitted “in the clear†8VSB at such a high channel number? TWC in Brooklyn, NY has HBO-HD on channel 38-1 or in that range and all the HDTV cards can tune it because its below channel 69.

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com
post #3 of 3 Old 06-28-2001, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know that it's transmitted as un-adulterated 8VSB. I'm not sure, however, how they modulate to such a high channel number.

The last time I had cable was long before HD was transmitted commercially, and I swore I'd fill the next cable guys's arse with rock salt that came on my property again. If I have to, however, I may have to modify that stance if it's the only way to record movies.

Unfortunately, this situation is not likely to last very long. The recent pressuring of Dish Depot not to sell 8VSB modulators makes me think that QAM is coming quick to cable delivery.

------------------
ABC = Another Boring Channel. Watch CBS on Monday Nights!
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page