Time Warner Cable HD in Queens NY - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-04-2001, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone have any experience with the high definition cable service in Queens, New York. If Time Warner Cable delivers an 8VSB signal modulated to channel 3, that could be fed into the DST50/51 and PVHD1000 combo for timeshifting HD. Am I dreaming or is this possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-05-2001, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure about the channel 3 part, but TWC does deliver HBO-HD and CBS-DT via 8VSB. I don't see any reason why your Panny shouldn't be able to tune to the signal. Just connect the cable, set the STB to "AIR", and you should find CBS-DT on 46-1 and HBO-HD on 48-2.

------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C
post #3 of 14 Old 07-05-2001, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The user manual for the TU-DST51 states DTV cable will work if it is 8VSB. The instructions say to call the cable company and ask the following:
  • Is DTV available through your cable service?
  • What type of cable do you have? Standard Cable TV Signals (Cable STD), Harmonic Related Carrier (Cable HRC), or Incremental Related Carrier (Cable IRC).
  • Do you need a separate cable box to receive DTV signals?
The items in parentheses refer to the three possible cable settings in the DST51 menu.

The manual shows the cable connected directly to DST51's ATSC rf input. If a separate cable box is required it shows the cable going to a splitter. One output from the splitter goes directly to the ATSC input on the DST-51. The other output goes the cable box. The cable box is connected the NTSC antenna in on the TV set. From that I have to assume you couldn't use a channel 3 output from the cable box to the DST51.

The DST541 manual was written in 1999, when the cable situation was very uncertain. Not much different than now, I guess.

------------------
- gridleak...
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
post #4 of 14 Old 07-05-2001, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
sr

I called Time Warner Cable and spoke to both their Customer Service and Technical Representatives. Only the Technical Representative stated that they had two HD channels, CBS and HBO. She was not "trained" to answer questions beyond programming and suggested I use the Web site to ask technical questions. So that's what I did. Stay tuned for their response. It still seems that Dish is the leader for offering the most HD content, but only by a slim margin.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-05-2001, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

There are serious cost savings with cable HBO HD because you won't need the infamous and nearly unobtainable Dish 5000/HD-modulator.

------------------
- gridleak...
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
post #6 of 14 Old 07-06-2001, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
sr

Here is the reply I received from Time Warner Cable: "Currently we are broadcasting CBS in HDTV on UHF channel 46. In Manhattan only we are broadcasting HBO in HDTV on UHF channel 48. You will need to purchase a HDTV decoder box to view these channels if your TV is not HDTV ready. Please keep in mind that Time Warner Cable is not a provider of HDTV, as the signal is broadcast directly from the station. (Translation...you need a set top box to receiver UHF channels 46 and 48. It appears you can record this if you have the Panny combo.)

"Beta Testing for our new HDTV DTV converters has not yet begun. This box, when released, will allow you to see additional channels in HDTV. For your information Time Warner Cable will be providing HDTV service for these new HDTV converters using QAM 256 protocol. At this time we cannot provide any further information regarding the availability of additional HDTV stations carried on our cable system."

At this time, you get one channel in HD, in the future you will need their box to descramble the HD signal which uses QAM 256 protocol. (Translation...not very exciting news. If you have to use the cable box to descramble their HD transmission, you can bet that there will be no method for recording the signal. So this means Dish is still the best source for HD programming, and if your one of the lucky people to own the Panny combo/Dish 5000/Modulator, you are part of an exclusive few that can record HD. I have everything but the modulator, and that seems to be the hardest item to find.)
post #7 of 14 Old 07-06-2001, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

As usual with cable companies, one hand doesn't know what the other does. You CAN get HBO-HD in Queens. I know, I just checked again just in case they had killed the signal. They haven't. Just tune to channel 48-2 on your STB and you'll see.

------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C
post #8 of 14 Old 07-06-2001, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
sr

Vic, I won't even repeat what the first representative told me. Oh, well it should be good for a laugh. She told me that all their programming is high definition. So of course, I know she means digital, not high def.

Do you have the Panny combo by any chance? I'm just curious if you can actually record HBO HD. That's at least one source of uninterrupted movies in HD, and a whole lot less expensive and cumbersome then the infamous Dish 5000/modulator recording solution.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-06-2001, 06:48 PM

Our local Time Warner cable system for Brevard County, Florida, says that before they can supply a cable box, they need me to choose between RGB and YPbPr. (RF out is not available). I have not found out yet if the channels can be directly tuned at RF.

------------------
George Waters
post #10 of 14 Old 07-11-2001, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a newbie question about HDTV and recording. I understand that, if you want to record HD, you need special equipment. What happens if you record a show which is broadcast in HD using, for example, an SVHS machine? Obviously, you do not record the HD signal but is the program recorded at all in a lesser state? In other words, can you record an HD program and wind up with a good tape - albeit not an HD recording?

This is becoming an issue for me since Time Warner is making noises about finally being ready to start releasing their HD converters in NYC. I timeshift a lot and archive tapes so I need to know whether a program I want to save can be viewed in HD and preserved via recording even if the quality is not HD.

Thanks!

Lisa
post #11 of 14 Old 07-11-2001, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
You can choose to downconvert the HD programming to NTSC, which your S-VHS recorder will record just fine. But right now, none of the HDTV receivers will let you watch HDTV and downconvert at the same time. You can only do one or the other, unless you use two HDTV receivers.

The TWC box may have this functon, but don't hold your breath.

Welcome the AVS HDTV Forum. I'm sorry to be the bearer of (probably) bad news.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #12 of 14 Old 07-11-2001, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Ken, thanks for the quick response and for the welcome. Out of curiosity, what will be the level of quality of the downconverted tape? Will it be the PQ of digital cable, for example, or will it be better PQ?

Lisa
post #13 of 14 Old 07-11-2001, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Since the local DTV stations use less compression than digital cable or DBS providers, it should look better than anything else, except maybe a real good OTA analog recording.

If you get good OTA analog reception and have one of the JVC S-VHS decks with the ghost reduction tuners (9600, 9800) then you may be able to equal (exceed?) the digital OTA, otherwise digital OTA will be like recording a DVD to S-VHS.

Just for the heck of it, I gave it a try. I recorded the same program on a JVC 9600 from the SDTV, converted to analog & the analog feed. They both looked good, maybe the DTV had a little less color beat. If the source was HDTV downconverted, the DTV would probably look a little better.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #14 of 14 Old 07-12-2001, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Ken: Right now, I could live with a good downconverted recording. I am currently taping off of TWC analog cable using a JVC 9600. Assuming that I get one of the TWC HD converter boxes in the near future, my short-term plan is to archive an HD broadcast in the downconverted form. Since the channel I tape off of is not yet broadcast in HD by TWC, I will settle for the best possible tape I can currently get. Since I live in a condo in Manhattan, I am unable to install an outdoor antenna, etc... I may eventually try an indoor antenna just for the heck of it but, given the tall buildings, I don't think it will pick up the signals.

Thanks!

Lisa
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page