Mitsubishis HDTV D-VHS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-09-2001, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blurb in Widescreen Magazine July 2001:

Mitsu has formally announced plans to sell a DVHS in the US. The machine is part of a series of home theater components that can be networked and controlled through a menu on a new Mitsu HDTV set. The DVHS deck is capable of recording full, digital HDTV signals as well as analog signals.

Anyone heard about this??

------------------
Mark

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-09-2001, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How much do you want to bet this only has IEEE1394 outputs on it?

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

post #3 of 16 Old 07-10-2001, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Say, Mits delivers on its upgrade promise (so that the HD VCR is ~$600 (in my dreams) and the Firewire upgrade card is another $600) and we get a firewire combo for $1200,
where an HD tape can be played from Mits VCR back to Firewire enabled Mits TV, it is all good and I will gladly
pay $30 for HD tapes @ stores, for my favorite movies.

But, how do we _record HD to the VCR ? Will it have OTA
8vsb tuner ?

What about DirecTV ?

Looks like 169 is a company that was not.... this makes this
whole thing a complete mess !

post #4 of 16 Old 07-10-2001, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

It was stated I believe in the same WSR ( or maybe by Gary Merson in TPV)that the upcoming JVC will have component outputs. Of course these mags are written a few months ago so it could have changed. Lets hope it has not

------------------
John Tuohy

[This message has been edited by John Tuohy (edited 07-10-2001).]

All I ever want is everything
post #5 of 16 Old 07-10-2001, 02:46 PM

The problem with the Mits solution, it was discussed a few months ago, is that the Mits Promise Package would include an OTA tuner only, not a DBS tuner, so you couldn't tape DBS HDTV (i.e., HBO).

------------------
-- jas

-- jas
post #6 of 16 Old 07-10-2001, 04:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Pure speculation here--

If the tuner is OTA then it must be 8vsb. Therefore it will receive signals from the dish5000/HDTV combo. If this is so it sounds like a winner to me. Sounds like a Panny combo knockoff.

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01
post #7 of 16 Old 07-10-2001, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Chap: I am fairly sure it will only have a FW port for DTV. Here is why, (besides wanting to keep the MPAA happy)Mits Diamond TV's (the sets that this unit is made for) have 2 high band component inputs. One is for a HD STB (as far as Mits is concerned read DirecTV HD receiver.) The other is for a Progressive DVD player. This leaves no High Band Component input on the set and no reason to put one on the VCR. This would lead me to believe that we will still have no solution as to recording Satellite HD.
I was told tonight by my Mits dealer that the 2002 high end line is "ahead of schedule" and will be out next month.I asked if this includes the DVHS and was told yes.

Todd
post #8 of 16 Old 07-11-2001, 02:44 PM

From reading the news releases, the Mits D-VHS, won't have a HDTV tuner. It'll only have SVHS and Firewire inputs and outputs. And to record HD content, you need to connect the new RPTV's (that have an ota HD Tuner) to the D-VHS via FW. Yes, that means the TV has to tune the picture, unless they are planning on releasing a new STB in the near future.
http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....splay=features

D'Oh!
post #9 of 16 Old 07-11-2001, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Will the Mits D-VHS be able to record and play content with the DISH 5000/HD modulator/Panny TU-DST50 combination?

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

HDTV Early Adopter
post #10 of 16 Old 07-12-2001, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Greg: I am sure that at some point we will Sat STB's that have a FW port. I was told that Sony had planed to include one on the HD 100 but DirecTV has a prohibition of them at this point in deference to the MPAA.

Rick: Yes the 5000 and Mod will work as you can hook the Mod up to the DTV input on the TV and record as if it was a OTA channel.

Junkman: I had read the Twice link that you posted before but missed this last time:
"The D-VHS unit will also record non-restricted content output via other IEEE-1394 enabled devices."

This is big news!!
I am sure we will see a host of interesting ideas come form this !!

Todd
post #11 of 16 Old 07-12-2001, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by ToddD:

Rick: Yes the 5000 and Mod will work as you can hook the Mod up to the DTV input on the TV and record as if it was a OTA channel.

Todd
Todd:
I think you misunderstood my question. I was wondering
if the Mits D-VHS will act as a "bit bucket" for the DISH 5000/HD modulator/Panny TU-DST50 combo in the same manner
that the discontinued Panny PV-HD1000 D-VHS does? I just bought my Toshiba TW56X81 set a year and a half ago and have absolutely no intentions of buying a new HDTV with firewire
inputs/outputs just to be able to record! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

HDTV Early Adopter
post #12 of 16 Old 07-12-2001, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Rick: Sorry I did miss that! I would hope so. You will note this quote from the press release: "The D-VHS unit will also record non-restricted content output via other IEEE-1394 enabled devices."

I am hopeful that will be you. I have always been told that the output of the Pany 50 tuner fits this description.
This is one of those times were someone will have to try it out.

Todd
post #13 of 16 Old 07-13-2001, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by George G:
As I am Mitsubishi Dealer I can tell you that at the recent
Mitsubishi line show the DVHS machine I saw had only 1394 in and out and the only reason this machine will make it to market is because it incorporates 1394 Havi with the 5C copy protection scheme.What does this all mean?
It means that in a brilliant plan of interoperability Mitsubishi will give you the ability to control and have an on screen menu of all 1394 Havi devices from a single remote
and a single cable and at the same time the MPAA will control through the initial transmission of the bitstream what they will allow you to record and how many times and how many sequential if any copies you are allowed to make.

If the MPAA can now control the bitstream then what is the problem of adding a satellite tuner to the unit, such as JVC has done with the Japanese deck.

Bernhard

post #14 of 16 Old 07-13-2001, 09:39 PM

As I am Mitsubishi Dealer I can tell you that at the recent
Mitsubishi line show the DVHS machine I saw had only 1394 in and out and the only reason this machine will make it to market is because it incorporates 1394 Havi with the 5C copy protection scheme.What does this all mean?
It means that in a brilliant plan of interoperability Mitsubishi will give you the ability to control and have an on screen menu of all 1394 Havi devices from a single remote
and a single cable and at the same time the MPAA will control through the initial transmission of the bitstream what they will allow you to record and how many times and how many sequential if any copies you are allowed to make.

------------------
George

George
post #15 of 16 Old 07-14-2001, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I had the chance to talk with the L.I./NYC Mits rep about 2 weeks ago. He echo'd what has already been posted above:

1, The unit will only have the ability to attach to one of the new Mits RPTV's or an existing RPTV with the "promise module." It cannot be used with other equipment because as stated, it will only have 1394 input and output.

2. There are no plans at this time to release a 1394 HD STB.

Lee
post #16 of 16 Old 07-14-2001, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

I would agree that Mits most likely will not have a HD STB with FW in the near term. The most likely source for this is Sony. There was talk that the HD 100 was to have the ilink port on it but DTV made them remove it in deference to the MPAA. Maybe the Mits DVHS deck will signal that the MPAA is ready to accept 5c as a copy protection standard and we will see other 1394 devices. I would look for something from Sony as their new HD sets will also have the FW port on them and I am sure they intend to offer something to connect to it.

Todd
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page