Anyone using HDTV PC Cards? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-14-2001, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 71
They all have PVR functions. For instance, AccessDTV uses 9 GB of disk space for each hour. Not sure if that includes AC-3 audio.

Are they too new or not what they appear to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-14-2001, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well there are 3 different models at the moment (ADTV, Hi-Pix, WinTV-HD). They all record, btu only access DTV does time shifting. I am also almost positive they all do AC-3. I own the Hipix myself which I'm very pleased with at the moment.

The access is relatively new. The others have been out for a while. The WinTV-HD just recently got recording functions though the card has been out for a while.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

[This message has been edited by chap (edited 07-14-2001).]

post #3 of 11 Old 07-14-2001, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm surprised at the low HW requirements for these cards. If you have a 17" monitor which does say 1280x1024 at the most, how good can a 1080i broadcast be? Or if you hook it up to an HDTV display, how convenient will it be to switch channels and so forth? Do they come with remotes?

The interesting thing about the PVR functions is if they can get around the copy protection somehow. Or will these cards be obsoleted when material is only available thru the Firewire solutions?
post #4 of 11 Old 07-14-2001, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Those cards would be great if the files could be easily and fast copied to cheap removable media of some kind and then stored, with enough capacity on each media to hold a movie. This is not the case therefore these cards are worthless to me.

Bernhard

[This message has been edited by bb1987 (edited 07-14-2001).]
post #5 of 11 Old 07-14-2001, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As far as monitors go, I have yet to try to watch it on a normal monitor. I have a HTPC connected directly to my HDTV. ITs not complicated at all as far as changing channels. The Hi-Pix comes with a remote control so you can change the channels up and down, though I don't use it yet.

As far as backing up cheaply and easilly, if u get a Hi-Pix, and a FAST tape backup drive you should be able to stream it directly from the tape if u get something like Datman. As far as it being cheap,well thats another story all together :-p. I use DVSpoof myself which works fine, though there is a lot of time associated with backing up and restoring the movie.

I don't think they will be obsoleted by firewire solutions any time soon unless u plan on buying a tv with firewire inputs. As long as I keep the tv I currently have I should have no issues.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

[This message has been edited by chap (edited 07-14-2001).]

post #6 of 11 Old 07-14-2001, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an accessDTV card. The free PVR functionality that comes with it is primitive, sort of like the world's worst VCR. They have a pay service to make it more like a TiVo, but I have not tried that as their program data only covers OTA, whereas I get only satellite. With a Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator (rare), you can indeed record satellite HD with it. accessDTV encrypts the files, though, so that they can only be played back with the same card.

I use removable hard drives, at the cost of about $20 per hour storage. DAT tapes would be cheaper, around $3 per hour not counting the DAT drive cost, but the moderator over on the Home Theater Computers group locked down the thread on using accessDTV with a DAT drive! What's the deal with that?

The AC-3 sounds great.

HDTV looks great either on a high quality PC monitor or HD-ready RPTV/projector. For HDTV, the color is a bit weak on my 21" PC monitor, though - and it's a Trinitron tube, so it has stronger color than many monitors. Anyway, I use my RPTV normally.

The low hardware requirements of the cards is because they do the HDTV processing on board, thus their relatively high price ($400 for accessDTV.) I can play a DVD with ATI Player while watching HDTV, having my Duron 750 MHz PC drive two different displays, one for DVD and the other for HDTV - utterly useless, but it shows you how little horsepower the accessDTV card requires.

------------------
Abdul
<FONT size="1">Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group
DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality
Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator
HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker</FONT s>
post #7 of 11 Old 07-14-2001, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Abdul Jalib:
DAT tapes would be cheaper, around $3 per hour not counting the DAT drive cost, but the moderator over on the Home Theater Computers group locked down the thread on using accessDTV with a DAT drive! What's the deal with that?
Because I asked him tohttp://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
I got tired of having to argue with that Jah-Wren Ryel fellow and it was quickly going off topic.

I explained what I did and that I was 100% successful in that thread (http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/012153.html)

I have been getting email's about using my program and when it is a nice polished,user friendly program, I will make a new thread where I will tell folks where to download it. For Free of Course.

Since THIS thread is asking about how good are the HDTV PC cards, I can summarize my opinion in one sentence:

I have the ADTV card 'mated' with a DDS-4 DAT drive and I now have my Panny DST-51 and HD1000 listed for sale in the Classified forum.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Q (edited 07-14-2001).]
post #8 of 11 Old 07-15-2001, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The interesting thing about the PVR functions is if they can get around the copy protection somehow. Or will these cards be obsoleted when material is only available thru the Firewire solutions?
The cards don't get around copy protection. To the best of my knowledge none of them deal with security at all. It's just that none of the current HDTV is being broadcast protected. AFAIK none of the current cards would be able to display a protected broadcast from any source.

Of course the AccessDTV card adds its own encryption to the output files, but that is proprietary, and is a completely different matter.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
What's Wrong with Copy Protection .

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #9 of 11 Old 07-15-2001, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So if cable systems put out HDTV STBs with only Firewire outputs, then these cards can't be used with cable, or rather, cable operators WILL only offer HDTV STBs with Firewire outputs.

Any hints that Dish and DirecTV will implement copy protection at some point?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-16-2001, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q:
I got tired of having to argue with that Jah-Wren Ryel fellow and it was quickly going off topic.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I've crossed swords with that guy. He can be a real argumentative SOB. One of those people that thinks he knows it all and isn't willing to listen to anyone else.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-17-2001, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry:
The cards don't get around copy protection. To the best of my knowledge none of them deal with security at all. It's just that none of the current HDTV is being broadcast protected. AFAIK none of the current cards would be able to display a protected broadcast from any source.

Of course the AccessDTV card adds its own encryption to the output files, but that is proprietary, and is a completely different matter.

- Tom

Well the equipment makers have been talking about home networks -- BTW, Sony and Warners just signed on to 5C -- so I wonder if you can stream or send these files around your home. There are also new wireless standards in the works for supporting throughputs as high as 55 Mb/sec so a PC-based recording solution would be much more useful if you could shoot it around your home.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page