Trouble recording with a demo HD1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-19-2001, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check your connection with the Fire wire. Mine does the same if I move the TV (to hook something up) and the wire "jiggles" loose.

------------------

"Flipping the switch late should be a crime!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-19-2001, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Good morning Nick, welcome to the HD recording forum. Folks here have lots of experience with your equipment, so I'm sure we'll get you going.

The symptoms you describe don't narrow things down to one probable cause yet, so I'll ask a few questions.

Is the TU-DST50's output switch (on the back panel) set to one of the hidef settings, and are you successfully viewing the component output on your HDTV?

Did you set the "D-VHS" switch on the HD1000 to "HS"? It's behind the door on the left.

If the above setup items are ok then it's just a question of which device is not working, so here's a list of possible causes:

1) Weak iLink connection.
There are two modes of communication on the iLink. One is control/status which must occur before anything else can happen. In your case that is working ok. The other is the actual video bitstream. Sometimes the iLink connection is good enough for control/status but not good enough for the bitstream. Try a different, preferably shorter, iLink cable. Check the jack on the HD1000 closely. They often become loose and unreliable. If the plug slides in and out too easily, or if you can wiggle the plug around while it's in the jack, then the jack could easily be the source of the problem. The jack on the DST50 is less likely to be damaged, but should be checked as well.

2) Dirty or worn heads.
This is probably the next most likely problem. The demo machines are weak recorders and strong players, so your machine may be worn sufficiently to prevent successful recording. If you have access to a known good DVHS recording, you may find that it will work in your machine. If that's the case then you will likely need to clean and possibly replace the heads.

If, after the above, nothing is changed, then you'll need to substitute another STB or recorder to narrow things down to one device.

That should be enough to get things starte

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
post #3 of 8 Old 07-19-2001, 11:15 AM

Nick -

I've tried 2 demo units. One arrived 100% DOA, and the other wouldn't record despite everything being set correctly. Therefore, I've been sticking with the consumer units myself. (To be fair, others on the forum have had good results with the demo units.)

------------------
Peter

[This message has been edited by peterd (edited 07-19-2001).]

Peter
post #4 of 8 Old 07-19-2001, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Good point, vettster. I forgot to check back before posting my epic tome.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
post #5 of 8 Old 07-19-2001, 02:02 PM

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

Went out a bought a shorter 3 foot firewire cable, but still no luck. The DST50 detects and can control the HD1000, but I still get a blank screen when I try and playback a HD recording.

Also rechecked the settings on the HD1000, it's set to HS record and all other cables/connections between my projector and the DST50 appear to be OK.

Out of curiosity I connected the HD1000 up to my TIVO and made an analogue recording. The recording, when played back on a TV, was fine.

I suspect there's something wrong with the firewire connections in the DST50 or HD1000. Fortunately, I can return both for a refund.

Looks like I'm back to the HiPix!.

Nick

post #6 of 8 Old 07-19-2001, 02:06 PM

Forgot to mention one thing: The firewire connection on the back of the HD1000 appears to be a bit loose (the cable pulls out very easily).

Is this something that can be easily fixed?

Thanks,

Nick.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-19-2001, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Nick,

The jack is on a little 1" square circuit board held by two screws inside the recorder. Unfortunately, Panasonic no longer stocks the whole circuit board, so it is irreplaceable. The jack itself is a standard item carried by Panasonic. To repair this you'll need some soldering skills, particularly in "unsoldering". You'll need to open the lid, remove and unplug the circuit board, and unsolder and replace the jack. Whether you or a friend can do it depends on your experience.

And there's no guarantee that will fix the problem. Look closely at the jack with a glass and see if it looks like this . If it do, then that's your problem.

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
post #8 of 8 Old 07-19-2001, 09:08 PM

I just bought a demo model HD1000 a few days ago along with a TU-DST50. When I try and play back a recorded tape, however, I'm getting a blank screen.

Here are the steps I'm taking when I try and record:

1. Turn TU-DST50/HD1000 on and tune the receiver to a digital channel.

2. Put a blank JVC DF-300 DVHS tape into the HD1000

3. Select the digital input on the HD1000

4. Use the DST50 menu to start recording with the HD1000

The HD1000 appears to be recording fine, but I get a blank screen when I try and play back the tape.

I've tried some of the suggestions in the HD1000 manual to deal with this: turning the DST50 on/off, stopping and starting the HD1000, but no luck.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Nick
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page