Dish 5000/modulator Quirks - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-28-2001, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I finally have the complete HD recording system up and running (Panny combo/Dish 5000/modulator). I noticed some of the following operational quirks.

1. I connect the OTA antenna to the input of the modulator and the output feeds the DST50. When I turn off the 5000, I loose the OTA antenna signal to the DST50. I did an experiment and disconnected the modulator from the back of the 5000 with the antenna cables still connected, and the signal passed through the modulator causing the DST50 to pick up the signal. Is this normal to lose the OTA signal when the 5000 is turned off?

2. I subscribed to all the movie channels and verified this with Dish Network. When I'm tuned to an SD channel and I then use the remote's keypad to select another SD channel, it switches to that channel. However, if I'm selected to an SD channel, and punch in an HD channel (HBOHD 9940), a message comes up to subscribe to the channel and call Dish. If I select the demo channel (9943) it goes to it, and then I can channel up or down to select the three other HD stations. Once viewing an HD channel, I can no longer use the keypad to change channels, only the channel up/down switch.

3. The channel banner information comes up on all SD channels, but not on the HD channels. The only way you can verify the HD channel number your viewing is by monitoring the S-video or composite output after depressing the VIEW button on the remote.

Any words of wisdom on these issues would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-28-2001, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can only say these two things:

The OTA pass-through on the modulator attenuates the signal somewhat. You're probably better off with a switch.

The 5000/modulator has no on-screen display on the HD output. The modulator is passing the transport stream from the satellite signal to your ATSC receiver basically unchanged. (transcoded to ATSC, of course) It does not have the ability to modify the picture.

post #3 of 6 Old 07-28-2001, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

You might turn off your receiver overnight in order to get the latest software version. (7.42) That might fix the channel change problems.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-30-2001, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I use one of the $20 channel combiners with my 5000. I set the 5000 to channel four and bought a channel four combiner. The 5000 goes into the CH4 input and the OTA goes into the other. Works fine with no apparant effect on picture quality.

Al Keown
post #5 of 6 Old 07-30-2001, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
sr

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks Balazer for your reply. I realized I had the wrong channel numbers; HBOHD is 9440 and the demo channel is 9443. Now I don't get the "subscribe" message, but I still can't use the remote's keypad to change channels once tuned to an HD channel, the receiver only responds to the channel up/down button. Do you get this same symptom?

Your explanation for the missing banner is right on the money. To overcome the loss of video when I'm switching from an HD channel to an SD channel, I monitor the S-video output from the 5000 on my HTPC tuner card just to get a clue on where I'm at when the projector goes dark. Who the heck designed this mess! What makes me nuts is that the instruction manual that came with the modulator talks about a seamless operation. When you speak to Dish Tech support, they seem to be clueless on this topic. And don't even waste your time asking them about the purpose of the accessory ports on the modulator and 5000 receiver because they have no idea. I measured a small AC voltage on the outputs, but they didn't seem to change state at any point that could help automate switching.

Regarding the failure of the 5000 to pass through the OTA signal through the modulator, I tried plugging the modulator into a spare 5000 receiver, and this did not resolve the problem. If I unplug the receiver from the wall, the signal passes through. Either the 5000 introduces high loss (as you suggested), and this is normal, or (I hate to even think this) the modulator is not working properly. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare modulator to verify this.

By the way the receiver has the latest version of software.

Al, I'm not clear on your solution. You don't feed the OTA signal into the modulator, but instead you connect it to a Ch 4 converter; one input takes the OTA, the other input takes the modulator output (tuned to channel 4), and then the output of the combiner is fed into the STB's antenna input? Is this unit available at Radio Shack? Did you use this solution as a result of experiencing the same symptoms I mention?

I'm on a mission to simplify the task of just watching OTA/satellite HD/satellite SD channels without having to think what I have to switch next to watch a show. I was hoping that I could program some macros into the Pronto remote, but I've come across so many obstacles with this setup. I get a headache every time I change channels. It's nuts. OK I just took a deep breath, and am feeling better.

I know I can just get a 6000 receiver, but I refuse to give up without a fight.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2001, 06:20 PM

sr -

There have been some postings about the relay which switches the OTA pass-through wearing out. Given that, and given how rare the modulators are, I'd say either use a channel combiner or an A/B coax switch. If you choose the latter, you can get one which has IR remote control.

As to the seamless operation - don't expect this. Get a 6000, devote the 5000 to recording, and be happy. (BTW, the inability to input the channel # directly is a "feature" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif of the 5000.)

------------------
Peter

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page