PV-HD1000 Demo heads - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-03-2001, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up an HD1000 that is a demo. They dealer claims it was at Panny for repairs. If this is true it should have the new "consumer"head?? The non rotating part of the head has the older part number VEGS0419.

Can someone who has the consumer version tell me what numbers are on the top of the actual head unit. Mine read
J D above the screws and B12 below the screws.

The machine records perfectly with Maxell Pro ST126BQ tapes.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-03-2001, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Where on the unit are those numbers that you need???
post #3 of 9 Old 08-03-2001, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

The numbers are on the rotating head itself, above and below the center point on top. They are about an eight of an inch high and are stamped on.

John
post #4 of 9 Old 08-04-2001, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

John,

The original upper cylinders in my two demo boxes were marked JD/B12. The lower cylinders were marked VEGS0419. I replaced the upper cylinders with consumer upper cylinders marked E06/JD.

My two consumer boxes came with upper cylinder nos. D13/JD and C22/JD. Both have lower cylinders marked VEGS0422.

I have two more spare upper cylinders: E06/JD and J08/JD, the J08 being the most recent purchase.

From all of the above the demo heads stand out as having the reversed number sequence starting with "JD". I would say it pretty certain you have original demo heads. You may be fortunate in having a demo machine that was used very little. The first sign that it's time to replace the heads will come when see clogging occur with new SVHS tapes, and/or difficulty playing back it's own recordings near the end of the tape.

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
post #5 of 9 Old 08-04-2001, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

In my case about 100 tapes, but my demo's were very worn. It's really not surprising to find worn heads on the demos. They were meant to loop the Panasonic Demo Tape all day long. You can throw a demo machine into repeat mode by holding down one of the front panel buttons for 5 seconds ("play" I think). I imagine a dealer would run the machines 10 hours a day for 6 or 8 months, and when it started acting up they'd throw it in the back room and bring out a new demo. Those "backroom gems" are what we're finding on ebay now.

Actually the HD1000's are remarkably durable machines. I think they could go through several head and pinch roller replacements before any major transport maintenance would be necessary.

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
post #6 of 9 Old 08-04-2001, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Roger,

After how many tapes you made did you noticed that the heads had to be replaced?

I have made about 100 tapes on my Panasonic thus far.

Paul
post #7 of 9 Old 08-05-2001, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Gridleak,

Thanks for your excellent response. I lucked out, the demo I got was a replacement for one of the floor models that died. They got it from Panny and stuck it in the back. I got a DST51 that was the same "new but demo". I'll probably run them for a while. On the other hand I really won't use them much, so maybe I'll eBay the set.

John
post #8 of 9 Old 08-07-2001, 06:56 PM
sr

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was in the WIZ at Union Square in NYC and saw a dusty demo unit, still with the do-not-sell sticker on the back and a price tag of $999. The sales rep would not budge on the price. If it was a consumer model, it might be a bargain compared with recent E-bay prices.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-07-2001, 08:42 PM

Just to reiterate - even tho the demo heads don't do as good a job or last as long for recording , they should last longer than the consumer heads for playback. So a demo unit would be a good backup unit later, when parts are no longer available. A demo also makes a good second machine as the playback and dubbing source unit to save wear and tear on the consumer deck used for recording. So, I think they are worth as much as the consumer deck.

------------------
joel@HI-REZ

joel@HI-REZ
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page