VHS playback on demo PV-HD1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-10-2001, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone out there used a "demo" PV-HD1000 to playback an ordinary VHS tape via the composite outs to the TV's composite inputs? I have only used mine for HDTV until now and told my wife it should be no problem to do but I cannot get a picture or sound no matter what settings I use.

I should mention that this PV-HD1000 was dropped while I was moving and the front LED display no longer works but in spite of that it works just most demo machines for recording and playing back DVHS tapes (the DST51 set top box helps with its on screen display of recorder functions).

I have the HS/Analog switch pushed to analog and I tried playback through TV inputs that I know work (the ones I have the LD attached to currently). I have tried changing the VCR/TV switch, changing from ch. 3 to ch. 4 and back etc. I have gone through the (thin) manual and found nothing to indicate that this simple connection should not work.

I have not tried the coax out because I cannot believe that is the only way to see a signal from a VHS tape with this VCR. Any ideas?

Milton Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2001, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Is everyone on vacation?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2001, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Im here...waiting to read a reply....

------------------
Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #4 of 10 Old 08-14-2001, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Alright, alrighthttp://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Milton, I sacrificed one of my precious demos to verify that it plays a {yuk}http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif VHS tape. I have all the composite in/outs of my HD1000 array ganged together and connected to a NTSC TV thing so I can see and set the timers in the recorders when I use a hub setup. I tossed in a VHS recording and it showed up on the thing. I admit that my demos now have consumer heads, but the original demo cylinder had VHS heads too.

First question that comes to mind is: Does the menu show on your monitor when you hit the Prog button on the remote?

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
post #5 of 10 Old 08-14-2001, 03:07 AM

Inspired by gridleak's sacrifice, I also lugged down my troubled demo unit, which still has the original heads.
Using composite inputs to my monitor the unit worked perfectly on a VHS tape.The program button on the remote worked perfectly.

I am somewhat confused about your mentioning the Channel 3/4 switch. That comes into play if you are using an rf input to your TV, not the composite connections.

It is noteworthy that this unit neither plays nor records properly on D-VHS.

I do believe that using an HD1000 for VHS tapes is like using a Lamborgini to lug lumber back to the house from Home Depot.I definitely would not recommend playing rental VHS tapes, of unknown history, on it.

Chazz
post #6 of 10 Old 08-14-2001, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys (and for the sacrifice of playing VHS tapes)

Roger

I think pressing the program key on the remote helped somehow; I now get sound but no picture. The TV I am working with is a Japan only Toshiba and I don't understand all of the TV's features. I am beginning to suspect that I somehow need to reset the inputs I have tried from S-video to composite. When I first got sound with no picture I thought it might be the video cable but switching cables did not help. I will see if it is an input issue as soon as I can get my wife to translate the manual for me (she hates reading manuals).

Chazz

You are so dead on with the Lamborghini carrying wood analogy. In my caase I have lots of expensive toys that my wife and kids can't get much use out of since the content they want the most is not in HDTV and not on DVD yet (Barney and Blues Clues for the kids and Japanese dramas for my wife). As a stopgap measure I want to use the (broken front panel) demo PV-HD1000 until I can put most of the content they want on SVCDs or on one of my Firewire HDDs. The main reason I am not already capturing the Japanese dramas to the HDD is that I am having trouble getting the VoodooTV 200 working under Windows 2000 and am too stubborn to give up on it just yet. The VHS tapes for the kids are mostly pretty new plus I have a JVC head cleaning tape specifically marketed for DVHS VCRs. In addition, because of Roger's great posts on turning a demo VCR into a consumer machine, I purchased the $239 consumer head from Panasonic in the US before coming here and will try to follow his instructions and change the head AFTER I put all the VHS content onto other media.

There is enough good HDTV over here that I absolutely HATE to watch anything that is VHS quality and laserdiscs are barely tolerable. Even on a direct view TV with a resolution well below my DILA the quality of shows shot with good HDTV cameras is breathtaking. I suspect some of the cameras the Japanese have access to are higher resolution than the Sony HDCAM or the VCRs they use capture more of the signal and I also suspect that they are passing the full 28.2 Mbps HD rate that DVHS VCRs can capture. Wowwow just showed The World Is Not Enough in HDTV last night (I own the DVD) and though it looked better than the DVD (which looks good to me) it looks nowhere near as clear and sharp as the best stuff shot on video.

Milton Henry
post #7 of 10 Old 08-14-2001, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Chazz

I forgot to address the issue of trying the 3/4 channel switch. I only mentioned that to show how many different switches and buttons I tried to get SOMETHING out of the VCR.

Milton
post #8 of 10 Old 08-14-2001, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Milton,

Wow!! You have a wife that can translate Japanese manuals. You are the envy of every guy here. Let's see... I have this 153 page manual that...http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

It sounds like the damaged front panel is causing the problem. Maybe one of the buttons is stuck down, or the circuit board has shifted position.

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
post #9 of 10 Old 08-15-2001, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Roger

The play button on the front of the unit broke and fell out when it was dropped but if play was stuck I can't see how I could play DVHS tapes so successfully. I hope you are wrong about the circuit board because I don't see how I can fix it if that is what's wrong.

Sounds like you need a JVC HM-DH30000 manual translated; I hope to buy one soon and sweet talk her into doing a translation that I can share with you guys but don't hold your breath.

Milton
post #10 of 10 Old 08-15-2001, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

You may be right. I was thinking the left side was damaged.

The composite video of the HD1000 always outputs menu and program text regardless of the settings of the HS/analog switch. If your TV is set to composite input and you press either the Action or the Prog button on the remote you will see a blue screen and white text. If not then either the TV is set wrong, or the HD1000 is broken.

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page