Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 37 Old 06-25-2001, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What's the current bottom line as to which is the preferred PVR Card: Hipix, WinTVHD or AccessDTV- and why?

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-26-2001, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's a long thread about this in the HTPC forum right now:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/011611.html

post #3 of 37 Old 06-26-2001, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I read all of it- but it is far more of debate of the sanctity of encryption than a review of the recpetion, picture quality, software suite, build quality and other issues that relate to the various products actual real-world use.

RANT: I don't have friends I like well enough to take the ungodly amount of time and trouble necesary to CD-R/DVD-R transfer a 16 GIG 2-hour program to. Let's face it, this is only network TV (or HBO for Dish 5000/Mod fans). Get over it and buy/rent thye DVD. Nothing is on HBO-SHO that is not on DVD.
END OF RANT.

So- What's the current bottom line as to which is the preferred PVR Card: Hipix, WinTVHD or AccessDTV- and why?

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #4 of 37 Old 06-26-2001, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I use and own the Hipix card. When the Hipix came out, it was the only player in town, so the choice was easy. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif You now have a choice of cards, well... sort of. While I like and would recommend the Hipix, there just aren't any of them out there to purchase. The Hipix is the only card that will allow you to trade files, and that's why I still use the Hipix. I could go out and purchase an AccessDTV card and probably sell my Hipix for a profit probably. But that means I wouldn't be able to trade files with others anymore. Until you start trading, you don't realize how valuable this feature is. There is such limited HD content out there right now, that ANY show you can get in HD is worth saving. Well... almost any show. So there's my vote - the Hipix.
post #5 of 37 Old 06-26-2001, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What is the "mode of transport" you use to trade HDTV programming recorded on a HiPIx Card.

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #6 of 37 Old 06-26-2001, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mkerdman:
What is the "mode of transport" you use to trade HDTV programming recorded on a HiPIx Card.

Murray Kerdman
It's fairly easy to swap hard drives back and forth if you so desired.

Chris

post #7 of 37 Old 06-26-2001, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

RANT: I don't have friends I like well enough to take the ungodly amount of time and trouble necesary to CD-R/DVD-R transfer a 16 GIG 2-hour program to. Let's face it, this is only network TV (or HBO for Dish 5000/Mod fans). Get over it and buy/rent thye DVD. Nothing is on HBO-SHO that is not on DVD.
END OF RANT.
This is incorrect. I watch Stargate SG-1 and The Soprano's in HD religiously on Showtime and HBO, and only the first season of each of these is available on DVD, and neither of the DVD sets looks as good as the broadcast does.

Also, any of the movies being shown in HD are better than their DVD counterparts. Remember, you are talking to a forum filled with perfectionists. Even the slightest enhancement in visual quality makes a difference to the bulk of people posting here.

Chris

post #8 of 37 Old 06-26-2001, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

END OF RANT.
I agree. Neither do I. What I use to trade files is removeable harddrives. Inclose makes an IDE drive bay that sells for $25. You just add your own harddrive and away you go. Very simple. This is the only feasible way to trade 60-80gb worth of data. Burning to a CD is definitely NOT the way to go.

[This message has been edited by KevinYee (edited 06-26-2001).]
post #9 of 37 Old 06-26-2001, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Remember, you are talking to a forum filled with perfectionists. Even the slightest enhancement in visual quality makes a difference to the bulk of people posting here.

Chris
"

I understand and agree.

That said, I took the time trouble and expense to obtain a Dish 5000/Mod (actually two) so that I can D-VHS/HDD/DVD-RAM HD (subject to avaliablity) record HBO/SHO.

It's the great value placed on "trading" HDD's or Backup tapes that seems excessive when compared to whether or not accessDTV or HiPix has a better experience in any single users system/network (with the ADTV Compaion).

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #10 of 37 Old 06-26-2001, 05:54 PM

I wonder if the recent price drop of the AccessDTV will impact the price of the hipix when they sell it again in july...

post #11 of 37 Old 06-26-2001, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Murray,
I don't want to join in the very tedious discussion about encryption vs un-encryted data since that is being beat to DEATH in the HTPC forum.

What I will add is my 2 cents about these 2 cards since I own(d) them both.

I had the Hipix and even with all the new drivers,etc. it was still pain to use - installation procedure was awful,new hardware caused it to go bonkers,lockups,etc.
I just could not trust it to do it's timeshifting 'thing' reliably. Which is what I really wanted it for.

I sold the darn thing (at a nice little profit) and now own the AccessDTV card for ~2 months.
It is rock stable on my CUSL2-C system and was as hard to install as a sound card.

It took awhile to get the Hipix stuff off my system to install the ADTV since the Hipix splatters itself all over the Windows Registry like Kudzoo. But once I got the Hipix software removed, ADTV took all of 5 minutes and I was up and running.

It never fails to record an HBOHD or SHOHD program from DISH and I have NO regrets that I sold the Hipix.

I worry a bit about the encrypted data if iTech goes out of business and the card goes poof but nothing I record with it is irreplaceable.
That stuff (like the Bruce Concert or the Ravens's Superbowl) which is truly a one time shot, gets recorded on my Panny DVHS.

Make up your own decision but from a former Hipix owner, I went from a VW to a Benz. I rarely use my Panny combo anymore.

Joe

post #12 of 37 Old 06-26-2001, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Joe,

Do you archive anything to the PV-HD-100 from HBO/SHO/Dish 5000/Mod?

I am contemplating the cost-benefit of buying a JVC 30000 later this year for archiving HD.

Yet, in my Consumer Electronic experiance (Beta, VHS, S-VHS, CED, Laserdisc, LP Vinyl, Origianl Master Recordings, Reel-to-Reel, 8-Track, Cassette, Dolby A-B-C, - God, I could go on....) formats are ALWAYS superceeded (D-VHS, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-HD!!!

Therefore, I have visions of 10 to 10,000 bulky degradable D-VHS or cumbersome HiPix "Tradeable" HDD & Tape copies of movies (and yes, some one-time-events) becoming so much nostalgia when the next generation of enrypted $14.95 shrink wrapped pristine transferred DVD-"A-Z Indigo Blue Laser"-HD's hit the shelvesand libraries are refilled AGAIN with the SAME titles- what an annuity for Speilberg, Lucas, WHV, Sony et al.

And so, ADTV's reliable OTA time shifting and one time record/viewing of HBO-SHO Movies (with a few demo "keepers" on a couple of $199 80GIG removable drives or backed up to tape when ADTV program is recorded to a seperate directory) seems more than adequate for now.

But, I've been wrong before!

Who would have thought that Non-Recording present day DVD would be such a hit that people would develop 600+ title persoanl libraries?

Rant mode off------------------------zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #13 of 37 Old 06-27-2001, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
wow, no one is mentioning the Wintv-HD at all. I wonder if there are any serious issues with this card or something. Does anyone know WHEN in july the Hi-Pix will start a re-shipmnet. Also is there a list that I have to get on NOW to get them when they come out? Thank you.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

post #14 of 37 Old 06-27-2001, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Joe,

Do you archive anything to the PV-HD-100 from HBO/SHO/Dish 5000/Mod?

I am not sure what you mean by archiving.
The HD1000 is a D-VHS so I can record from the 5000 and save the tapes for later viewing.

If you were thinking about using the HD1000 as a backup device for HD recordings from a disk over it's firewire interface, you can not.

I am going to use a 4mm DDS-4 DAT drive for archiving and later restore/playabck of HD stuff from the ADTV and the disk.
I have all the stuff now - I just need to get it all working.

Joe
post #15 of 37 Old 06-27-2001, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have the WinTV-HD and I like it, but there are some limitations:

The recording software is only a few weeks old and has no Pause, Rewind, or FF controls.

It can't record or playback sub-channels.

When changing channels you sometimes have to hit Mute again to get the sound back.

There is one ABC Towercam sub-channel that will reliably crash it.

Others have reported more serious problems that don't seem to affect my system.

On the good side it can play HiPix files after a simple renaming process, and I think it is available, at least from Hauppauge.

Be aware that ADTV just dropped their price 20% so other price cuts may follow from the competition.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
What's Wrong with Copy Protection .

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #16 of 37 Old 06-27-2001, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

IMO, HiPix for HD paired with a WinTV-D for SD.

WinTV-HD software development is way behind and ADTV has too much 'baggage' and won't work in conjunction with a WinTV-DVBs.

'mode of transport'? DVspoof, if you are so inclined.
post #17 of 37 Old 06-28-2001, 07:07 PM

Tom,

Do you have a Dish 5000 and modulator? If so do you have any problems with it and the wintv-hd?

Dave
post #18 of 37 Old 06-28-2001, 11:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Do you have a Dish 5000 and modulator? If so do you have any problems with it and the wintv-hd?
No, I don't have Dish. I think someone else posted that combination had problems with the WinTV-HD, at least with HBO.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

post #19 of 37 Old 06-30-2001, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

If I don't have a card in my system, can I play the files with just software for either the HiPix or the WinTV-HD?

The reason I am asking is cause I have 2 computers (well more then that, but for the scope of this I'm just looking at the 2). One in the living room, and one in the bedroom. The living room one is an HTPC connected to my HDTV. The one in the bedroom is just your standard PC. I want to attatch my Dish 5000 to the one in the bedroom with one of the 3 HDTV recorder cards available, and be able to send the files over the network later to the one in the living room to view there.

Do I need to have a HiPix or WinTV-HD in the living room also to be able to watch the files, or is there some form of software that will play it back just fine?

I have a LOT of stuff in the living room as is, and I really just don't want to put any more in there so my 5000 will stay in the bedroom.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

post #20 of 37 Old 06-30-2001, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

So let me get this right if I get a hipix I CAN TRANSFER TO TAPE OR dvd-R Back up where I cant with the other CARDS.

HUGO
post #21 of 37 Old 06-30-2001, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I believe all the cards, HiPix, ADTV, WinTV-d, WinTV-HD, store in a similar format but the ADTV files are encrypted in some fashion so you can't convert them. The other formats are mostly a dump of the 19.3 Mbs ATSC bit stream.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:

post #22 of 37 Old 07-01-2001, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Hugo,

I don't know about tape since I can't think of any way to connect a D-VHS to a computer. You can use DV-Spoof to do this with which is discussed in other topics. As far as DVD-R goes, you can only do that if u drop your resolution, OR if you use multiple DVD-R.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

post #23 of 37 Old 07-01-2001, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the HIPIX card have hot keys for FF 15 sec. and RW 15 sec. like the other?
Jeff
post #24 of 37 Old 07-01-2001, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Hugo,

Well that really sort of depends. There are other recording devices that will record HD called W-VHS machines which don't do dolby digital. I'm sure Greg can assist you more with that if you have questions on it. If you have that then u can record from pretty much any HD sattelite reciever.

If you want to record to pretty much anything else you need a Dish 5000 with an HDTV modulator. Those are pretty damn hard to come by too.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

post #25 of 37 Old 07-01-2001, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 14
The W-VHS is an analog high-band recording device. It works pretty well, but as noted by chap, it will not record the HDTV Dolby Digital audio. Greg is the W-VHS master around here, he can answer further questions.

And they are a little pricey, even used ones go for $3k.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #26 of 37 Old 07-01-2001, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Is the dish 5000 the only dish out there you can record off.
Is there something coming out soon.

Thanks For the info Chap and Tom

Hugo
post #27 of 37 Old 07-02-2001, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Guys that answer that I'm leaning toward the Hipix.
The only issue was a thread I read A whiled back on the Hipix and putting out some heat of the board.
Has this been an issue to anyone?

Hugo
post #28 of 37 Old 07-02-2001, 09:44 PM

Another 2 cents. I am very happy with my WinTV-HD for viewing OTA broadcasts. The recording features are essentially still in beta form, however.

The principal advantages of buying the WinTV-HD instead of the Hipix when I got it were that it was actually shipping and is produced by a well-known company.
post #29 of 37 Old 07-03-2001, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The principal advantages of buying the WinTV-HD instead of the Hipix when I got it were that it was actually shipping and is produced by a well-known company.
The HiPix was the first HDTV card that came to market, even if it was in a very limited amount.

A well known Company means nothing to me. At least not when it comes to HDTV cards for PC's. Every one of those companies are pioneers, but Telemann was very open about their product and VP Ray Newstead answered personally almost every questions when the card was about to be released last year and he continued to be supportive and very honest as long as he stayed on with Telemann. You don't see that very often these days.

------------------
HDTV Society of Arizona: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/hdtvsocietyofarizona
<FONT size="1"> To subscribe to the HDTV Society of Arizona mailing list, send a message to:
HDTV Society of Arizona containing "SUBSCRIBE" in subject and reply to the confirmation message. </FONT s>

[This message has been edited by Desertfox (edited 07-03-2001).]

Jens Wellmann
President
PC DTV Technologies, LLC
post #30 of 37 Old 07-05-2001, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugomed:
Thanks Guys that answer that I'm leaning toward the Hipix.
The only issue was a thread I read A whiled back on the Hipix and putting out some heat of the board.
Has this been an issue to anyone?
Hugo
Yes. The board produces quite a bit of heat. And when you couple that with multiple drives in a system, I recommend at least two cooling fans and a tower case. I've had my system lock up when left running all day with just one fan going. Fry's has a little slot card fan (if you can spare yet another slot) which, if stuck next to (above) the HiPix, would help remove the heat. Or a second 12-volt fan, most towers can hold two in back. Unfortunately I don't have a closet or spare room for the HTPC, it's off to the side of my receiver, so fan noise is a problem.

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page