TU-DST5x Owners: How are you keeping it cool? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2001, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running hot...I think. I get break-ups when watching my video tapes and it's not the tape. I did the HD1000 head replacement one week ago so the only thing I can suspect is heat.(I'd like to put off the reseating of the chipsets as the great gridleak pointed out- I'm not that comfortable tinkering just yet)http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
Many forum members have mention the use of fans to keep this unit cool. Are you talking about ordinary house fans? That would be difficult to use with my entertainment center setup- not to mention unattractive. Are there little fans that are battery powered? If possible,I'd like to know what works best, where you can get one, and EXACTLY where this fan should be placed.
Hopefully this will fix my problem. If not, I guess I'll have to start thinking about tearing into the 50.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2001, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Vettster:

Here's a link to a thread that forum member videohot started that refers to the cooling issue:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum28/HTML/000340.html

I've ordered one of these devices and it is on the way. I'll post a review of it here once I have a chance to check it out.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

[This message has been edited by RickD_99 (edited 08-19-2001).]

HDTV Early Adopter
Old 08-19-2001, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone tried either drilling more ventilation holes in the cover, or running the tuner with the cover removed? The airflow design appears poor as is.
Old 08-19-2001, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

With better case ventilation, the fan might be unnecessary.
Old 08-19-2001, 09:19 PM

After reading this thread, I went and checked on my unit, which is currently BELOW the HD1000 vcr, and it's extremely hot! Tommorow I will move it on top of the VCR and maybe take the case off. argh...the nightmare of crawling behind my audio rack!

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
Old 08-19-2001, 10:02 PM

Keep the lid off, or you can raise the rear of the lid about an inch or so (after the screws are out). Note that the heat sinks near where the line cord goes in, have some voltage on them.

If you do remove the lid the cooling problem is quite apparent. The cooling fan for the CPU isn't aligned with the openings in the lid. Also the power supply (which gets very hot) doesn't have any ventilation openings.

I had sent the TU-DST50 back to Panasonic, because the picture would break-up after several hours of operation. When I got the unit back, I saw that they had used foam tape and a sheet of thin plastic to make a "duct" from the fan to the opening in the lid, and they had reversed the fan. Previously it blew down over the CPU, now it blows the heat up and out thru the lid openings. The unit still gets hot from the power supply. Additional holes in the lid would help.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:34 AM

May I make a suggestion to those having problems, I have a DST-50, and I was having serious problems with it. Borderline complete failure of the unit.

After much, much messing around, and after feeling a bit desperate... I started tweaking pots inside (actually I only tweaked one). Lo and behold... it works flawlessly now.

Let me emphasize, I had no idea what I was doing, I just know it worked. In fact in over two months of usage since I tweaked the pot, I have only seen sparklies twice (very brief and probably related to weak signal). And audio dropouts are also nearly gone (one per week - maybe).

Your mileage may vary.

Read all about my tweak: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/013996.html

scroll to the bottom

Jeremy

------------------
D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)
I want Buffy in HDTV!

"Done the Impossible" a Firefly Fan Documentary. www.donetheimpossible.com
Old 08-20-2001, 07:17 AM

What is a pot?

I am having the drop-out problem. Not all the time, but last week my video went out a couple of times and now it all makes sense...it's probably the heat.

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
Old 08-20-2001, 08:47 AM

Pot: Potentiometer, a knob, a dial. Basically a really small knob that adjusts voltage levels. In this case I have no idea what this particular pot does. I just know that it helped me alot.

If your's is only dropping out once in a while, this is fairly normal. Just make sure there is plenty of air space above the box. (I have about 4 inches.)

Jeremy

------------------
D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)
I want Buffy in HDTV!

"Done the Impossible" a Firefly Fan Documentary. www.donetheimpossible.com
Old 08-20-2001, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding pots:

If you've ever owned an older radio, the type that uses a potentiometer as the volume control, you may have experienced a common problem with pots. After a while they become noisey. A pot is an adjustable resistor. It contains an exposed resistance strip with a sliding contact to allow adjustment of the resistance. A pot that has been set to a certain value may change to some rediculous value, particularly after many heat cycles and environmental exposure.

This falls into the same catagory of repair as "reseating" chips. Simply rotating the pot several times around the position it is currently in will clean the wiper and resistance element, and allow it to return to the proper resistance value. Use a marking pen to identify the current setting before attempting this, and return the pot to its normal position.

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
Old 08-20-2001, 10:29 PM

I would certainly advise against turning any pots (potentiometers) until someone can find out what they do. There is no way to know how sensitive the adjustment is. If the adjustment is very sensitive there would be no way of getting back to the exact correct position. (I speak from experience from out repair department for professional electronic equipment, but that's another story.)

To cool my DST50, I use an old 4 inch diameter AC powered desk fan I once got at a local drug store. The only space in my "rack" is to the side of the dst50, so I have it to the right side of the dst50, blowing air sideways across the top of the receiver case. It does keep it cool to the touch.

I also have a picture from another member who has a 12 volt DC powered bare computer fan just sitting on top of the dst50, powered from a 12 volt DC wall wart power supply of appropriate current rating, and pulling air up out of the receiver. Apparently that works well and is very simple. I may try his version also to see which is better.

------------------
George Waters

[This message has been edited by waters (edited 08-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by waters (edited 08-20-2001).]