HD1000 Demo Recordings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2001, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know...this has probabaly been covered but did a 10 minute search and gave up.

I've recorded most my movies using my "demo heads". Playback was perfect until I started getting the green pixelation, etc. I replaced the heads following Gridleaks advice, and now I have minor pixelation problems when viewing those movies taped with the old demo heads.It doesn't seem to be the tape though.

The movies I recorded with the new "consumer head" playback perfectly...no pixelation. So does that mean my movies that were taped with the demo heads are now useless unless I get another demo machine?
Thanks (again...)

[This message has been edited by Vettster (edited 08-22-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2001, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Vettster, you're messing up my perfect world.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I had planned to post (and gloat) on this topic tonight, describing how I just found another demo machine (for 600 bucks thank you) and immediately tried to record a movie (Phoenix). The resulting recording was completely unreadable on every machine I have, including the demo it was recorded on. I proceeded to "clean" the new demo machine with a DVHS cleaning tape (about five 15 second passes) until it finally started playing the tape properly. I then tried to copy it off to save the movie, but found that about three fouths thru the movie I started getting pixels.

I then replaced the cylinder with a new one. The results were fabulous (this was the part where I was going to gloat). I was able to read and copy the whole tape with only three minor and brief spots of pixels.

Consequently, I'm very surprised at your results. I think my demo was way more thrashed than yours, because none of my good machines could even bring up a picture at all, way worse than huge green blotches.

I don't want you to use a cleaning tape on your new heads. I only did that knowing that I would be replacing them anyway. There's also no point in adjusting the recording current yet, because that would be like closing the barn door after the horses have escaped. You definitely want to keep the demo as close to the same form as it was when it made the recordings.

I should point out that there are other sources of pixels besides the recorder. Bad iLink connections, bad STB, etc., so you should verify that the problem is solely the recorder.

I'll make some suggestions after dinner.

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
Old 08-23-2001, 07:55 AM

I had the same type of problem with tapes recorded on my demo machine from before I replaced the heads. They play, but they have the occasional (every couple minutes) little bit of pixelation. They had played back without issue before I got the new heads. The tapes are still very watchable, but it's annoying. All recordings I've made with the new heads playback perfectly. Fortunately, I didn't make many recordings with the original heads.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2001, 08:38 AM

Ok, this could be a stupid question, but how do you guys know which HD1000 unit is a 'demo' unit and which one is not a demo unit? I looked at mine in detail before I got it used from the store, and all it has on the back was a sticked that said "For home and office use". Does that mean that I don't have a demo unit?

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
Old 08-23-2001, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Pericles,

There's a fairly long list of relatively minor differences, but the easiest and most certain difference is the serial number. The demos range from B9SA30001 to B9SA30500.

Vettster,

I've had a chance to do more testing on my newest demo that I referred to earlier. With the new heads it records and plays back its own recordings perfectly, and it plays the one tape recorded before the head change. However, it does not make recordings that can be played on my other machines. That means there's something elso wrong with it.

I mention this because I think it applies to your situation. Your old heads may not have been the only source of problems, and you may have to find what else is wrong.

However, before looking for a second problem, make sure you installed the new heads correctly. There's an index hole in the upper cylinder that must align with an indentation on the lower cylinder. It's also important to clean the mating surfaces with ethanol before mounting the cylinder. A small speck of lint on one of the surfaces can cause the cylinder to wobble slightly when spinning. It doesn't take much to screw things up, because the tracks the heads lay down are only 0.002" wide.

More suggestions later..

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
Old 08-23-2001, 11:09 AM

The demos have 3 distinct markings that I know of: There is sticker on the back that says something like "for demonstation playback only"; There is a small sticker on the front next to the jog dial about "repeat play"; but the most obvious way to tell (especially since the stickers can be peeled off) is the ventilation on the top panel. The demos had almost the entire top panel slotted for better cooling. The consumer models have a smaller section slotted, I think on the right hand side of the top.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2001, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It has been observed that the old Panasonic HD Demo tape often does not playback properly on the consumer decks.

The solution is to redub the tape using two consumer decks; the dubbed version plays back perfectly.

I suspect the same approach might be successful with the movies recorded on the "demo" 1000s.

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
Old 08-23-2001, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...update time.

This morning I went through all my movies. The movies I recorded up until the last 5 movies before the head swap, play perfectly.Only the last 5 movies I recorded with the demo heads have the pixelation problem using the new heads. Five movies ago is when I started noticing the green pixelation on playback. So am I wrong to say that when I first noticed the problem, that the heads were going bad, is when I should've swapped the heads?

To simply state what I am trying to say: Use bad heads, get bad results? Use good heads, get good results? Am I wrong? How can I have recorded a perfect copy if my heads weren't "perfect"?

Confusing...

[This message has been edited by Vettster (edited 08-23-2001).]
Old 08-23-2001, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vettster:
Use bad heads, get bad results? Use good heads, get good results? Am I wrong? How can I have recorded a perfect copy if my heads weren't "perfect"?
Not necessarily. As the heads wear and/or get clogged the recording gets weaker, but it's all there. It's a digital recording, so all that's needed is bits that are slightly above the noise level. The only thing that could make a recording unrecoverable is if the tape was curling up against guides, or if the tape was slipping against the capstan. Those are conditions that can't be duplicated during playback.

As Todd pointed out, if you have another good recorder, all you have to do is get one good read, and re-record it. The dub will be perfect.

------------------
-Roger

-Roger