HD1000 won't play regular VHS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2001, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you using the composite output when you are trying to play analog tapes? You need to use it since only digital recordings will output through the firewire port to the DST50/51 and then through the component outputs on the STB.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2001, 11:37 AM

Jeff, I am not. I was using the DST50's component output. Thanks for telling me that.

Quote:
Originally posted by beavis:
Are you using the composite output when you are trying to play analog tapes? You need to use it since only digital recordings will output through the firewire port to the DST50/51 and then through the component outputs on the STB.

Jeff

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
Old 08-23-2001, 05:42 PM

Pericles

I am having the same type problem (see my post in this section about 9 days ago) complicated by the fact that my unit is one of the "demo" units and has been dropped. AVS member Gridleak (Roger) suggested seeing what happened on screen after pushing the program key. After that I started to get sound but still no picture. I may have a damaged circuit board or I may simply have to switch my TV inputs from S-video to composite (it is a Japanese TV with a great picture but I don't read Japanese and thus can't RTFM to be sure). There is one thing that I may have forgotten to mention last week; I also could not get VHS tapes to play in the other PV-HD1000 that I own that I left in San Francisco and it too was a "demo" unit. Since these machines are labeled ".... Use only with Panasonic DVHS demonstration tape" I am wondering if some of them simply have been disabled for VHS playback.

Good luck and please post if you get it working and whether your unit is a consumer or "demo" unit.

Milton Henry
Old 08-23-2001, 10:47 PM

Sorry if I keep asking dumb questions guys, but I am a beginner at this. I got my HD1000 a couple of weeks ago, and for some reason it will just not play analog VHS tapes. I do toggle the button on the front to analog, but that doesn't make any difference whatsoever. The tape spins, but no image. Can someone offer some advice?

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
Old 08-24-2001, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Milton,

I stuck a VHS tape in two different demo machines and they worked normally. The images were fuzzy and horrible, just like VHS should be. When the tape is inserted, the recorder reports "Analog Tape" on the hidef screen, but no image is there of course. The video comes out on the composite output. The position of the HD/Analog switch has no effect.

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
Old 08-24-2001, 04:16 AM

Roger

Thanks for saving me any more travel down that false path. Looks like all that is left for me to try is checking if my TV's inputs have some sort of S-video/D4/composite choice somewhere built in and/or repairing a circuit board.

By the way, you on the forum awfully late at night aren't you?

Milton