Some Interesting Info on Mit's "Answer" To Recording HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just finished an Article in the new edition of THE PERFECT VISION that addresses the "new: Mits HDTV lineup.

1. Some of the sets come with the 1394/HAVI interface and also include an ATSC OTA HDTV tuner.

2. The new HDTV DVHS VCR will be released in approx 10/2001 which will allow (with the above sets) recording of OTA HDTV like CBS, ABC, etc.

3. The "promise module" will be available AT THE END of 2002. It will consist of an ATSC OTA HDTV Tuner and the 1394/HAVI connection allowing existing sets (by Mits) to be upgraded so that the DVHS VCR can be implemented.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT

There is still no way for DBS or Cable based HDTV to be recorded. No HBO...No Showtime...No HD PPV.

Estimates in the industry place the arrival of a HDTV STB with 1394 (5C) AND DirecTV/DISH at the earliest the end of 2002 but probably by the middle of 2003.

For an existing Mits owner, look at the cost of being able to record ALL forms of HDTV (when finally available):

1. Promise Module......................$1,000

2. HDTV DVHS VCR.......................$1,049 (list price)

3. HDTV DBS STB with 1394/5C...........$1,000 (estimated)

With "discounts" and such, the price will be a minimum of $2,500.

Here comes the big "rub." Mits has publically stated that they WILL NOT back DVI/HDCP...only 1394/5C. What would happen if DVI/HDCP takes off and content providers back DVI after supporting 5C?

Lee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 252
This forum in general needs to realize they have no government support is very little legal recourse to lack of recording or even viewing HDTV DBS and cable.

Cable channels, even the commercial supported ones are not protected under the communications act of 1934. They are not free signals. Therefore the distributors may take any steps they wish to encrypt or limit the access to these channels.

OTA on the other hand is protected in the public interest. Congress can and probably will prohibit the down rezzing or record prevention of HDTV OTA signals, even if they are received by cable or DBS.

But if HBO decides or their program suppliers dictate down rezzing or record blocking, they have the legal right to do so.

I don't like it anymore than anybody else here. But HBO and the ilke is NOT "broadcast TV".

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Lee;
Thanks for posting this information; I had the idea that firewire-sporting STB's were just around the corner, maybe a month or two; this blows that theory into the water.

For many folks, the ability to record HD OTA material will be very welcome (US Open, Jay leno, CSI etc.) and the fact that ATSC equipment will be built into the TV's will bring us back to a similar kind of situation as for all NTSC TV's.

One of the reasons I got DirecTV was because I could; I needed to buy the DTC100 for OTA, and figured why not also get DirecTV. As more HD programming appears on OTA broadcasts, the need to get HD programming from sources such as DirecTV and Dish will wane. The new HDTV's with builtin ATSC receivers effectively takes DirecTV/Dish completely out of the HD equation for Joe Sixpack who buys a HDTV from his local store. By later next year, I think the bigger question will be the availability of Firewire on Cable HD boxes, not sat receivers, so my feeling is that Sat STB manufacturers have a relatively small time window to capitalize.

------------------
"You can't argue with a confident man"
- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13
post #4 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,
I am one of those guys who has already budgeted the expanse for the Promise Module and D-VHS VCR. My sources indicate that the Promise Module will be available in the Spring of 2002.

I have already decided that there is a good possiblity that I will be switch from Directv back to Cable by the end of 2002 if Directv do not offer a IEEE.1394 STB. The other option that I have is too just turn off Directv and just use OTA. If the cable, DBS, and Content providers don't soon get their act together, you will see a lot of people dropping cable and DBS. Why would you pay for something that you get for free.

------------------
Bruce.in.Cary

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
post #5 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I am curious that you said "2. The new HDTV DVHS VCR will be released in approx 10/2001 which will allow (with the above sets) recording of OTA HDTV like CBS, ABC, etc."

Are you implying you can only record with this unit if you have a Mit set or will this product work with any OTA HDTV tuner?

Steve
post #6 of 13 Old 08-25-2001, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SDF77,

The new Mits HD-VCR will only work with the new Mits HD RPTV's when it arrives in October of 2001 along with the new Mits sets.

It will work with older Mits sets ONCE the Promise Module is installed which according to the article in The Perfect Vision will not be until THE END OF 2002.

The only way to get HD programming into and out of the new Mits HD-VCR is via 1394 (Firewire) with 5C copy protection of which NO EXISTING STB's in the marketplace have.

So the answer to your question is NO...it will not work with your existing STB. Neither will the new JVC HD-VCR.

Lee

[This message has been edited by LeeAntin (edited 08-25-2001).]
post #7 of 13 Old 08-25-2001, 07:37 AM

Quote:
The only way to get HD programming into and out of the new Mits HD-VCR is via 1394 (Firewire) with 5C copy protection of which NO EXISTING STB's in the marketplace have.
What about Panny DST50s which had 5C added after being returned to Panasonic for service? These babies have firewire.

Ben

Ben
post #8 of 13 Old 08-25-2001, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by LeeAntin:

1. Promise Module......................$1,000
Is that the official price of it????

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

post #9 of 13 Old 08-25-2001, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Lee,

I am new to HD and am currently shopping for HD equipment (I have none now), for use in early November. This will include a 50" plasma (Pioneer or Panny). Is there or will there be available shortly, a STB for OTA (and/or satellite box)that I can connect to a HD recorder, and what HD recorders are about to be released for what kind of input. Thanks.

Steve

Steve
post #10 of 13 Old 08-25-2001, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Chap,

The $1000 price for the PM is what Mits keep saying it will cost. "No more than $1000." It will also have to be installed by a Mits rep and no one knows if the installation cost is included.

SDF77,

The only way, today...or should I say this year, to be able to purchase an HDTV setup that includes display, STB and HD-VCR seems to be the Mits combo which means you have to buy a Mits HD-RPTV with the 1394 connection and OTA HDTV Tuner built in along with their new HD DVHS VCR. This should run about $7000.

JVC says it will also have a HD DVHS VCR but it will use the DVI connection and the only set to have JVC's DVI connection will be the D'aila RPTV which I believe costs about $11,000 plus the VCR will be $2,000.

Other than that...that's it.

Lee

post #11 of 13 Old 08-25-2001, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
The new Mits HD-VCR will only work with the new Mits HD RPTV's when it arrives in October of 2001 along with the new Mits sets.
NO!, The new Mit HD-VCR will work on any Intergated HD-TV that complies with IEEE.1394/5C/HAVi standards. Both Mits and Sony are releasing Intergated HDTVs with those standards. So the Mits HD-VCR will also work with the new Sony TVs that have the IEEE.1395 Firewire ports.

Yes its true there are no STB currently that have the IEEE.1394 ports. But I know that the new Sony HD Cable Boxes with Firewire ports will be available in the NEW YORK area sometime in the near future.

------------------
Bruce.in.Cary

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
post #12 of 13 Old 08-25-2001, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Embry:
But I know that the new Sony HD Cable Boxes with Firewire ports will be available in the NEW YORK area sometime in the near future.
So folks in NY with one of these cable boxes should be able to record anything for which "can copy" flag is true? Man, makes me sad that I left NY (and that's the first time I've said that...!)

------------------
"You can't argue with a confident man"
- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13
post #13 of 13 Old 08-25-2001, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally posted by chingko:
Quote:
What about Panny DST50s which had 5C added after being returned to Panasonic for service? These babies have firewire.

Ben
This has never been confirmed and probably never will be until 5C starts getting used.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page