Panasonic Repair of Heat-Damaged TU-DST50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-23-2001, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received back from Panasonic my DST 50 which I had sent in for a heat problem repair under warranty. Here are some salient points.
1. the turn around time was very quick: 12 days door-to-door.

2 The unit now plays perfectly without any external cooling. The air above the vents feels quite hot.

3. I spoke to the Panasonic tech and learned that they had replaced a number of chips and reversed the air flow of the fan. He said that is why the vents now felt so hot. The air was now blowing out the vent. He was completely unaware of any modifications to add 5C copy protection.

Here are a some questions that come to mind:

1. Does anyone know whether they do/don't add 5C protection when they repair these units? Could this be added without the techs even being aware of it (i.e., just changing one or two chips in the protocol?
2. Is it desirable to have the 5C protection included? I think I recall a past thread where gridleak (Roger) mentioned that the DST 50 tied up on a protected tape, rather than ignore the protection.Am I accurate on this?
3. I have one DST 50, still under warranty, which plays fine if an external fan is used. Should I send this to Panasonic for repair or leave things as is?
4. Would reversing the fan myself be difficult for the units I have that are out of warranty?
Thanks for any and all advice.
Chazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-25-2001, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Chazz,

This might be the thread you were remembering. It has to do the the ability of the DST50 to interface properly with the JVC DH30000, and whether or not 5c and updated EPROM's had anything to do with it.

Unfortunately, the thread bears the stamp of the infamous Richard Adams, so everything he said has to be reevaluated in terms of a possible hidden agenda.

Regarding your questions:

The updates are accomplished by changing the programming on the four 1 mB EPROM's to a later version. I suspect that the technicians have an EPROM burner and a supply of blank chips, and burn the "latest" software version on a stack of blanks. The technicians would have no way of knowing what was in the software; it would just be part of the repair procedure to update the EPROM's on older machines.

It is possible to buy blank EPROM's from Panasonic, but not pre-programed sets, which is why I think the techicians do it themselves.

About reversing the fan, I would not recommend it unless you went to the trouble of measuring the internal temperature before and after the change. Radio Shack makes an inexpensive remote temperature guage that would do the job. If you do get inside the case please tell us what firmware version is marked on the eproms.

I've got a couple of questions:

1) Did they remove the heavy aluminum shield that lines the inside of the top? You should be able to tell by looking through the perferations on the top and comparing with your other DST50.

2) Did they say which chips were replaced?

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
post #3 of 7 Old 09-04-2001, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by gridleak:
Chazz,

If you do get inside the case please tell us what firmware version is marked on the eproms.

I've got a couple of questions:

1) Did they remove the heavy aluminum shield that lines the inside of the top? You should be able to tell by looking through the perferations on the top and comparing with your other DST50.

2) Did they say which chips were replaced?

Roger,
Thanks for you helpful reply. To answer your questions
1. They did not remove the heavy aluminum shield that lines the top.

2. The technician I spoke to did not know which chips were replaced but he said there were approximately 9 replaced.

3. The returned unit looks just like the 3rd photo (Photo 4a-50) in your post of 7-28-01. It has the black plastic extension of the top aluminum cover, and the 4 foam strips to create a compartment. The unit I sent to them (made in December, 1998) had neither the black plastic extension nor the foam. It would appear that either your DST50 was made after these changes were incorporated into the production line, or perhaps, your unit was sent in for repair by Panasonic. What was the date of manufacture of your unit?

4. The unit I sent in had a heavy copper foil on the front-left corner of the case. This was not present when the unit was returned.

5. I am still somewhat cautious about opening the top, so I can't give the firmware version on the e-prom.

6. All things considered, do you think it is better to have an unmodified or a modified DST50 (I have one modfified, 3 unmodified)?

Chazz
post #4 of 7 Old 09-04-2001, 08:07 PM

My Panasonic box cuts in and out even though I have the cover off it. I assume this is a heat issue. Is it hard to reverse the fan myself or should I leave this to a professional? Or am I simply way off and the cut offs are caused by some other glitch?

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
post #5 of 7 Old 09-05-2001, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Chazz, I'm off to Chicago on business. I'll check the age of my 50 when I return on Monday.

Pericles, if it happens during live viewing of OTA with antenna directly connected to the Panny, then it has to be the Panny or the antenna. Put the lid back on and slap it a little to see if it's a connection problem.

If it only happens with Dish then the 5000 and/or the modulator are possible culprits.

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
post #6 of 7 Old 09-05-2001, 06:32 AM

gridleak

It only happens with Dish programming. I wouldn't know with OTA because there is no local OTA content..hehe.

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
post #7 of 7 Old 09-05-2001, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

You see the problem. The pixels could come from the antenna, 5000, modulator, connection from modulator to the Panny box, or the Panny box. Start wiggling connections and banging on boxes.

I'm serious. Most of these problems are caused by bad connections. A case in point: when I arrived in Chicago and tried to use my laptop, the battery appeared to be dead, even though I had charged it overnight. I started calling around looking for new battery, and pulled the battery out in the process. Later I put the battery back in and now the laptop worked just fine. I'm using it right now.

I should change my moniker from "gridleak" to "connections" (with apologies to James Burk of course).

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page