HD Recording following Betamax? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-05-2001, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can't help but feel that the future of true HDTV may be following in the footsteps of Betamax; a superior format that lost a format war. How is it possible that only a few people can record this format? It came and went. End of story? All this expensive necessary equipment: modulator, 5000 unit HD1000 to record the new format. Why are these manufacturers such chicken s*@ts? They offer us equipment that can record HDTV (New Mitsubishi), boasting how it can record from firewire, but they don't have the balls to put that firewire on their decoders.
I have all of the latest, cutting edge BS eqipment; SDI, Vigatec, HDTV, projector, and EXPENSIVE audio equipment, but yet there is no means in sight for recording: NONE!!!!! If I were even to say: screw it and take the $ 3000.00 to $ 4500.00 plunge to buy this DISCONTINUED equipment, it seems as though it will not even work soon due to the changing Dish format which has been discussed on the forum.
How on earth do they ever expect HDTV to catch on? Seriously. This is a very flawed scenario.
Any bright news on the horizon after all of that?

------------------
Silence is overrated!

Silence is overrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-06-2001, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
It's just my gut feeling, but I'm expecting a buch of Firewire enabled STBs, recorders, and integrated TVs within the next six months.

I'm an optimist, I know...

Bert

------------------
STOP DFAST!!!
post #3 of 4 Old 09-06-2001, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Bert, I truly hope you are right. Do you suppose it will be the same high quality as the Dish 5000 and HD1000 set up if these firewire units do make it to market? Thanks.

------------------
Silence is overrated!

Silence is overrated!
post #4 of 4 Old 09-07-2001, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I'm just speculating... There is a demand (us), and it is growing - thanks to HD Net http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif - so there will be consumer electronics available to record. It is just a matter of time.

The studious etc have always been screaming about new recording media - CD, DAT, DVD or MP3. In the end the consumer will win, and the studios will realize that it wasn't the end of the world.

How would a company like Philips or Mitsubishi violate any laws by providing HD recording, that they aren't already violating by selling CD and DVD copiers/recorders?

Even regular music CDs have "CopyCode", remember?

Just my $0.02,
Bert

------------------
STOP DFAST!!!
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page