Can I use AccessDTV to record DirecTV HD programming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-04-2001, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can I use AccessDTV to record DirecTV HD programming? I believe I have to get Dish Network to do this, but wanted to verify. I want HDTV, but I want to be able to RECORD it. TIVO has just spoiled me in that regards I'm afraid.

Thanks,
-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-04-2001, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chris,

If you can lay your hands on a (rare and discontinued) DISH 5000 receiver and the optional (and even rarer) 8VSB HDTV modulator cartridge that goes with it, then yes, you can record Echostar/DISH programming.

The trick, as I implied, is finding both these units (especially the modulator--there have been actual bidding wars on eBay for these suckers, which are almost literally worth their weight in gold). You see, the DISH 6000 (and all DirecTV STB's) don't output HDTV in 8VSB, which is what the accessDTV card needs as input to do its recording thang. The DISH 5000 with its 8VSB modulator is the only combination of STB equipment that will allow you to record satellite HDTV with your accessDTV card.

------------------
Scott Gammans
DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP MANUFACTURERS!
The Scooterplex Cinema 1
post #3 of 12 Old 09-05-2001, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Scott!

I also e-mailed the guys at AccessDTV, and they also mentioned that the Dish 6000 would work as well with the modulator.

"Our product can tune, time shift and record any 8VSB signal that is connected to our card using the ATSC (digital) tuner connection. Currently off the air content, some cable providers and the Dish Networks 5000/6000 satellite receivers with the 8VSB modulator are the only ways to achieve this capability."

I did notice that the "Dish Network 8VSB module" for use with the 6000 is available for $149 at dishusa.com, but I'm guessing that's not the same as the modulator.

I'm not going to buy a modulator off Ebay for $500+, so I guess I'll have to wait a year or two for a TIVO or other PVR which records HDTV.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-05-2001, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chriscic:
Thanks Scott!
"Our product can tune, time shift and record any 8VSB signal that is connected to our card using the ATSC (digital) tuner connection. Currently off the air content, some cable providers and the Dish Networks 5000/6000 satellite receivers with the 8VSB modulator are the only ways to achieve this capability."
This is incorrect. The Dish 6000 does not have 8VSB output, the 6000 8VSB module is for receiving OTA DTV signals only.

The Dish 5000 HD Modulator produces an 8VSB signal that the AccessDTV card can accept, just like another OTA DTV station. As mentioned before, this is the sole way to record digital HDTV from a DBS provider.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-05-2001).]

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5 of 12 Old 09-06-2001, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a note of clarification: it was the iTech/accessDTV representative that was incorrect, not me. I never said that the DISH 6000's 8VSB modulator would work with accessDTV; only the discontinued model 5000 and its 8VSB modulator emit an accessDTV-compatible HDTV signal.

I may not always be right but when I am I want to be sure that I get credit for it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Scott Gammans
DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP MANUFACTURERS!
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 09-06-2001).]
post #6 of 12 Old 09-08-2001, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

So since the AccessTV solution will not record DirecTV HD broadcasts, what will?

I've been reading alot of the messages on this forum but am still confused as to the solution to recording from DirecTV HD.

------------------
Craig
My Home Theater
post #7 of 12 Old 09-08-2001, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Colvin:
So since the AccessTV solution will not record DirecTV HD broadcasts, what will?
I don't believe any consumer-based equipment is currently capable of being used to digitally record DirecTV in HD; the only vaguely affordable means of recording DirecTV in 1080i is through component analog recording with a W-VHS unit which several forum members are currently using. However, the cost of tapes and less than perfect recording means that most of us are waiting with baited breath for PVR's or a HD STB with IEEE1394 to match with one of the several D-VHS HD recorders announced. If anyone know any different I'm all ears.

------------------
"You can't argue with a confident man"
- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13
post #8 of 12 Old 09-08-2001, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Nothing will record DirecTV HD signals today. The product from 169time may some day, but don't expect this to ever happen. If it does, then great.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-09-2001, 06:41 AM

Since a DirecTivo records the bitstream directly, why can't it record HD?

------------------
RCA F38310
post #10 of 12 Old 09-09-2001, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

I believe it can't for two reasons. One, it only has connections for 1 Dual LNB so it can't look at the second satellite. Two, it has no way to output in HDTV resolutions (ie. no component or RGB out)

------------------
Craig
My Home Theater
post #11 of 12 Old 09-09-2001, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Colvin:
I believe it can't for two reasons. One, it only has connections for 1 Dual LNB so it can't look at the second satellite. Two, it has no way to output in HDTV resolutions (ie. no component or RGB out)
The DirecTiVo is a full DirecTV Plus reciever meaning it can look at both (maybe even all 3) sats. My only guess as to why it couldn't record HD is the bit stream may stream to quickly for it's watered down hardware to write to disk. That and the lack of outputs.

-apnar
post #12 of 12 Old 09-09-2001, 02:13 PM
PVR

The DirecTiVo just wasn't designed to store or tune the HD channels. They left it off because their MPEG2 decoder (for playback) isn't capable of HDTV playback and they were targeting the "bigger market" (non HDTV).

Maybe someday they will do an HDTV version but it would certainly cost more.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page