Status of Dish 5000 software updates? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-17-2001, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe this belongs in hardware, but we are the ones with the most to loose, so I'll ask here.

I'm currently running software ver. 673PBTEA-NX100 and boot strap 110BBTEA 2000. Works fine, but guide is slow and can't set up favorites with HD channels. I'm afraid to let it update to the latest version (742 ?). Has anyone let this happen and was it successful?

-Roger

------------------
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-17-2001, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm using 742. It works well. It lets you create a favorites list with HD channels.

post #3 of 18 Old 07-17-2001, 12:38 PM

I have also been using it with no problems.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-17-2001, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
gridleak,

Did you get offered 742 recently?
I always run in "Do Not Accept" mode, and passed on the last upgrade, especially after the previous one that screwed the pooch. This was weeks ago & I haven't seen anything since.

I've also read elsewhere that 742 is a keeper.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5 of 18 Old 07-17-2001, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's my impression from dbsforums that you only get ask if you power down the 5000, regardless of the settings in the menu. If you're set "do not accept", it will ask when you power on. I'm trying to decide whether I should power down (on a slow nothing-to-record night), and see what happens.

Orio and balazer, does using the favorites guide speed up the "recovering from the satellite" delay that's so annoying?

-Roger

-Roger
post #6 of 18 Old 07-17-2001, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I called Dish and asked for the upgrade, they confirmed 742 is current. They had me change my settings to accept without asking, turn the unit off, and to wait 10-15 minutes.

The 4 digit channels are accessible for the Favorites List & HDTV still works fine.

------------------
tm

post #7 of 18 Old 07-17-2001, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ken. Followed your lead, called them and it was done in 20 minutes. Works fine, although "Retrieving from..." is not any faster. I'm sure the new software will be spying on me so I'm going to start wearing aluminum foil hats.

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
post #8 of 18 Old 07-18-2001, 12:05 AM

Actually I received the update some time ago because after downloading some software to correct a possibly corrupted version, I forgot to reset it to "ask first". I am glad to have updated software because it allows setting up a HDTV favorites list. I included not only the HDTV Showtime and HBO channels but also those channels which sometimes have DD audio since the RF modulator also modulates the carrier with these channels. The 5000 is only used for these channels so it is very convenient to select them without having to switch to viewing the 5000 video output to determine the channel it is set to.

I am still experiencing problems with occassional lockups, once every few hours, where the 5000 outputs a videoless and audioless signal. I need to reset it by switching channels. The RF modulator was recently replaced because it would produce a correct picture on the DD audio encoded channels. Hence it is not the culpret. Is anyone else observing similar problems?
post #9 of 18 Old 07-18-2001, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, it isn't necessary to call for the update, but this way it got done while I was there and could check it out immediately. I think it's automatic if you turn your 5000 off at night.

Re your lockup, I wouldn't call that "occassional" -- once every few hours! There's an old thread here about it, where the blame is put on the STB. Something about messing with the RF connectors on the STB, loosening screws or the nuts on the F connector. One guy even got inside and adjusted some pots or caps on the ATSC input board with success.

The other possibility is the low output level of the modulator not meeting input requirements of the STB. I'm sure you've tried VHF line amps. I've got one modulator with a flakey antenna relay that had to be "actuated" a lot to keep the output clean.

Just some thoughts...

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
post #10 of 18 Old 07-18-2001, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

To be clear, Dish receivers will not even acknowledge an attempted upgrade, if they're on.

When off, and an upgrade is offered, they refer to the settings in Preferences.

If you select "Ask Before Accepting", you get an on screen message asking if you want to accept, cancel or reject, when you turn the receiver on after an upgrade attempt.

If you select cancel you get the same message every time you turn the receiver on, for a few days after the original attempt.

------------------
tm

post #11 of 18 Old 09-08-2001, 05:04 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Orio:
I am still experiencing problems with occasional lockups, once every few hours, where the 5000 outputs a videoless and audioless signal. I need to reset it by switching channels. The RF modulator was recently replaced because it would produce a correct picture on the DD audio encoded channels. Hence it is not the culpret. Is anyone else observing similar problems?
Sorry to resurrect an old topic; I fell behind and have been trying to catch up.

But this particular problem sounds very much like the Caller ID bug with the 5000. Specifically, if the Caller ID feature is enabled, and the receiver is connected to a phone line (which it will be, for most people), the modulator's signal is lost whenever the phone rings. It can only be recovered by changing channels or cycling the power. I believe the problem is still present even in the latest revision of the firmware.

Disable Caller ID and (I'm guessing) the problem will go away.

------------------

Ron Gomes

Ron Gomes
post #12 of 18 Old 09-08-2001, 08:05 PM

Dang! So this is why my screen would randomly go blank when I watch HD channels? Actually I called support yesterday and the guy had me upgrade the software and it no longer happened, but I will have to test this and see. Can someone confirm that the modulator really goes blank with incoming calls with the latest software?

Quote:
Originally posted by rrg:
Sorry to resurrect an old topic; I fell behind and have been trying to catch up.

But this particular problem sounds very much like the Caller ID bug with the 5000. Specifically, if the Caller ID feature is enabled, and the receiver is connected to a phone line (which it will be, for most people), the modulator's signal is lost whenever the phone rings. It can only be recovered by changing channels or cycling the power. I believe the problem is still present even in the latest revision of the firmware.

Disable Caller ID and (I'm guessing) the problem will go away.

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
post #13 of 18 Old 09-08-2001, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe I'm dense, but wouldn't this be pretty obvious:
phone rings... screen goes blank?

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
post #14 of 18 Old 09-09-2001, 12:57 AM

When the caller ID feature kicks in, it tries to display the phone number onscreen, as a result it forces the Dish 5000 into NTSC mode, which konks out the HD modulator. (Just like pulling up the Guide)

My reciever asked me yesterday if I wanted to update. I chose "No". Is there a new release?

Jeremy

------------------
D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)
I want Buffy in HDTV!

[This message has been edited by JeremyNeish (edited 09-09-2001).]

"Done the Impossible" a Firefly Fan Documentary. www.donetheimpossible.com
post #15 of 18 Old 09-09-2001, 06:25 AM

I have a digital phone system and the automated attendant answers the phone before you hear any rings...

Quote:
Originally posted by gridleak:

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
post #16 of 18 Old 09-09-2001, 06:33 AM

Ok, i have version 743 of the software, which is the latest, and I can now confirm that when watching HD, the screen does go blank when a call comes in. I am turning off the caller ID feature. I can't believe the Dish tech guy didn't know about this...

post #17 of 18 Old 09-09-2001, 07:52 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gridleak:
It's only obvious in retrospect, believe me. Especially if most of the time you're recording and not watching it live. Even if you are watching, the phone call itself is powerful misdirection.

Once I tumbled to what was going on, the evidence (from the other Caller ID boxes in the house) was clear: recordings went blank at the same time that calls came in.

It was (of course) from this Forum that I learned about the problem and the solution.

------------------

Ron Gomes

Ron Gomes
post #18 of 18 Old 09-09-2001, 09:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 114
The HDTV modulator does not support any graphics off the 5000. It will lock up anytime graphics like the caller ID is displayed. This was common knowledge early on about the 5000/HDTV mod. ie. disable caller ID.
The caller ID works great in the 6000 since the 6000 supports grapics on HDTV channels.

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page