PV- HD1000 goes into auto record...why? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-17-2001, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When I simply insert a tape into the PV-HD1000 while the TU-DST50 is tuned to an HD channnel, the VCR goes into auto-record.

Do others have this pproblem, and if so, what if anything can be done about it.

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-17-2001, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This happened to me again today when I popped in my copy of the SuperBowl to show a friend, and now I have a 5 sec. gap of garbage on the tape. I think it has to do with if you had set the timer to record a show, but the tape ran out and rewound before the timer hit it's out-mark. For example, you have 60 min. of tape left and you set the timer to start at 9:58pm and end at 11:00pm. The timer wants to record 62 min. of material, but the tape can't make it and runs out. TU DST50 thinks it hasn't finished recording, so goes into record when you stick in another tape.

Someone correct me if this is wrong. And remember to pop the tab on tapes you don't want sabotaged by your combo.

------------------
Jay

"Can I please just watch this the way it is supposed to be seen?"

Jay

"Can I please just watch this the way it was meant to be seen?"
post #3 of 8 Old 08-17-2001, 05:37 AM

Jay,

I think that you are right about this. I've the same problem several times. Definitely an annoyance.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-17-2001, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks guys, I'll try to "clear" my timers after all recordings.

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #5 of 8 Old 08-17-2001, 07:18 AM

My HD1000 automatically stards playing a tape when I insert it. Is that normal? It only does it with certain tapes, not ALL, so it's really weird...

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
post #6 of 8 Old 08-17-2001, 08:22 AM

When there is a tape in pvhd1000 and STB is turned on...it starts recording. Outragious! This only happens with my 50 and not 51.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-18-2001, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Pericles,

Most VCRs start playing when you insert a protected tape.

------------------
Robert

Robert
post #8 of 8 Old 09-16-2001, 08:34 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Nemeth:
I think it has to do with if you had set the timer to record a show, but the tape ran out and rewound before the timer hit its out-mark. For example, you have 60 min. of tape left and you set the timer to start at 9:58pm and end at 11:00pm. The timer wants to record 62 min. of material, but the tape can't make it and runs out. TU DST50 thinks it hasn't finished recording, so goes into record when you stick in another tape.
This is consistent with my experience with both the 50 and the 51. Furthermore, clearing the timer afterward is not always sufficient to prevent unwanted recording.

After an STB-programmed recording that fails to complete (because the tape runs out, or because you hit STOP before the end of the programmed interval), the STB will not return to a "safe" state until at least one other timer recording has been programmed and completed. Otherwise, if there is a recordable tape in the machine, and the STB is powered up, recording begins immediately.

So if I want to use a unit for playback after it's been used for an interrupted recording, I find that I have to program a short recording (even 1 minute should do) and let it complete before proceeeding.

This is enough of a nuisance that I'm usually very careful not to program more time than the tape can hold. I've found that all the tapes I use (Fuji ST-120s, Maxell ST-126BQs, ST-160s, and DF-300s, and JVC DF-300s and DF-420s) will reliably hold 3 minutes more material than the nominal tape length, so that's what I usually program.

------------------

Ron Gomes

Ron Gomes
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page