Splitting 5000 modulator output? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2001, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am wanting to tape more info than a one shot 2 hour tape will hold. So trying to get inputs as to how people are connecting one than one HD1000 up. One thought was to split the modulator output from the 5000 and run it into two different DST50's with a HD1000 on each. This way I could record so that if a movie is 3.5 hours, I could turn them aon to overlap. Is there a better and cheaper way?

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2001, 09:41 PM

I split my signal with a radio shack amp and it works fine.Use rg6 cable and a high quality splitter
Old 08-17-2001, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

You can use a hub. One STB can feed many recorders, but one "master" recorder has to establish a window that covers the total time span from the first recording to the last.

There's another trick that Jeff Richards suggested that lets you make two separate recordings using a hub, 2 recorders and one STB. It's in the "view while copying... " thread. Basically, the master and the slave both record the first event, but the timer on the master is set slightly longer than the tape. The master rewinds, and the timer then records the second event on the master only. I tried it and it works.

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
Old 09-16-2001, 08:44 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun:
Am wanting to tape more info than a one shot 2 hour tape will hold. So trying to get inputs as to how people are connecting one than one HD1000 up. One thought was to split the modulator output from the 5000 and run it into two different DST50's with a HD1000 on each. This way I could record so that if a movie is 3.5 hours, I could turn them on to overlap. Is there a better and cheaper way?
dave
In this particular case--wanting to record a movie that lasts 3.5 hours--surely it would be simplest and easiest to just use a DF-420 tape, which can hold a 210-minute HD recording.

------------------

Ron Gomes

Ron Gomes
Old 09-16-2001, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What is a D-VHS/MiniDV/PC compatible multi port IEEE Hub?

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
Old 09-17-2001, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Second on that Radio Shack amp. I use a model with two outputs, one to the DSTU-50 and the other to the HiPix card.

I have through expermentation found the ATSC 8vsb signal to be a bit fragile. Too much gain and the receivers won't see it. Too much loss is obvouusly a problem as well. I did find the RCA DTC100 to be the most forgiving tuner in my system. It will decode the 5000 signal when both the Panny and Hipix won't.

Keep in mind that amplifiers can cause harmonics that result in beats or co-channel interfierence on analog channels. In digital, these defects can render the signal completly un-usable.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!