Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2001, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
mdv
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What does everyone here use to rewind their DVHS/SVHS tapes?

I've had bad experiences in the past with $20 rewinders so currently I'm using my HD1000 to rewind tapes.

Does anyone know of a good quality rewinder?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2001, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I have also had a bad experience with a cheap rewinder (RCA UVR-2Q). However, having been around the block a few times with PV-HD1000 recorders, I have a pretty good understanding of why rewinders work for some people and don't work for others.

As the heads on an HD1000 near the end of their useful life the recorder becomes more finicky about a variety of things, such as tape brand, tape length, climate, and tape tension. Because DVHS is digital, the recorder appears to work perfectly, until the signal-to-noise ratio falls to a critical level. Then, suddenly, the recorder has problems with a certain brand or length of tape, or with tapes that have been rewound in a rewinder.

If all your machines are perfect then using rewinders has no effect. Unfortunely, it also means that the only people in a position to evaluate rewinders are people with worn out HD1000's.

I use a JVC HR-DH30000 recorder as a rewinder.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Very fast and smooth.

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
Old 09-19-2001, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I am using a Mitsubishi HS-U776 rewinds a 120 tape in 43 seconds. So far so good.

------------------
RJW

RJW
Old 09-19-2001, 10:33 PM

I don't know about 'good quality', but I just bought a new rewinder on ebay a couple of days ago. I hate to use a $1000 VCR to rewind tapes...that's just wrong http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by mdv:
What does everyone here use to rewind their DVHS/SVHS tapes?

I've had bad experiences in the past with $20 rewinders so currently I'm using my HD1000 to rewind tapes.

Does anyone know of a good quality rewinder?

Mark

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331