HiPix and Time-Warner HD, Kansas City MO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-23-2001, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering the HiPix as HDTV tuner/input for my home theater, and I live in Kansas City, MO where Time-Warner offers HBO-HD, and Showtime-HD. They also carry the local PBS station, KCPT, in HD. There is a wait list on getting the HD boxes, and I am told that if you are an HBO or Showtime subscriber you will get the HD versions of them for free, but a box is necessary to decode the HD signals and they charge 9.95/mo for the box. I currently have Time-Warner Digital Cable and cable modem access with Road Runner.

Has anyone out there used a Time-Warner HD box? What kind of outputs does it have?
Will a card like the Telemann Communications HiPix be able to tune and decode HBO-HD if I am a HBO subscriber?
Will the Telemann card be able to tune and record the Standard Definition signals on Time-Warner digital cable?
Additionally, does anyone know the resolution the source of the movies on HBO-HD?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Chris Brechnitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-23-2001, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The HD cable box you are referring to has analog output, either RGBHV or component video.

The HD PC cards, like the HiPix, have a RF 8VSB input, which is obtained from either off the air, via an antenna from a local DTV station, or from a Dish 5000 w/HD Modulator.

The two pieces you want to use are not compatible to record HDTV, or for that matter, anything.

HBO-HD is broadcasting 1080i. Currently, the only way to digitally record HBO, Showtime or Dish Network HD PPV is using the Dish 5000 w/HD Modulator, with recording devices that accept 8VSB input. The Dish equipment has been discontinued for over a year and is expensive ($1000-$1500) and hard to find. You can check the AVS Classified Ads and eBay for Dish 5000/HD Modulator packages.

At some point in the next year or so, there will be HD cable boxes with 1394 output, which may work with the recently introduced DVHS recorders from JVC & Mitsubishi.

Unfortunately, there is no definitive information available, on when & how HDTV recording will become commonplace. Try reading some of the recent threads in this forum for more details.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 4 Old 09-23-2001, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Ken,
Thanks for the reply, but it seems like you may be incorrect in some of your assertions. The HiPix will record KCPT (the local PBS station) over the air.
Also the HiPix's literature says it will record 8VSB from digital cable. I was trying to find out if Time-Warner's HD from digital cable used 8VSB or QAM.
As for HBO broadcasting their HD at 1080i, perhaps I was unclear with my question. I was wondering how they got to 1080i. I am sure it would be no problem for their programs like "The Sopranos" or "Band of Brothers" to produce 1080i masters for broadcast, but do they? What about Hollywood titles? I doubt many Hollywood movies are HD telecined. I bet most of it is upconverted D1 or Digital Betacam.
Chris
post #4 of 4 Old 09-23-2001, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb72:
Thanks for the reply, but it seems like you may be incorrect in some of your assertions.
No, I'm pretty sure (99.9%) I'm correct, and will attempt to explain below.

Quote:
The HiPix will record KCPT (the local PBS station) over the air.
If you reread my reply, that's exactly what I said, that the HiPix will record from 8VSB sources, which is what your local PBS station broadcasts OTA DTV/HDTV in. You must use an antenna to receive DTV/HDTV this way.

Using the TWC cable box and the HiPix will not work.

Quote:
Also the HiPix's literature says it will record 8VSB from digital cable. I was trying to find out if Time-Warner's HD from digital cable used 8VSB or QAM.
If you need the TWC box for HDTV, then QAM is how TWC is delivering HDTV to you. Thus, you can not record it with the HiPix. This is what quite a few AVS members getting HDTV from TWC have reported.

Quote:
As for HBO broadcasting their HD at 1080i, perhaps I was unclear with my question. I was wondering how they got to 1080i. I am sure it would be no problem for their programs like "The Sopranos" or "Band of Brothers" to produce 1080i masters for broadcast, but do they? What about Hollywood titles? I doubt many Hollywood movies are HD telecined. I bet most of it is upconverted D1 or Digital Betacam.
All 16:9 programing on HBO-HD is native HDTV, 1080i. They actually do a lot of HD film transfers for both their series, like The Sopranos and Band of Brothers, and movies. If the aspect ratio is 16:9 and it's on HBO, it's native HDTV. What they don't do is maintain the original AR for their movies. They use a pan and scan technique to fill the 16:9 screen area, even if the movie was 2.35:1. This makes many AVS members unhappy.

Showtime, on the other hand, does limited native 1080i movies from HD film transfers, but in the original AR, and they also upconvert a lot more NTSC widescreen movies and series to 1080i. They are increasing the amount of native HDTV every month, but it's a slow process.

I hope this helps,
Ken

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page