Dish 5000 modulators finally comming down in price? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-18-2001, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I noticed that none of the dish 5000 modulators are selling for the $1000+ price tag the ebay people are requesting. Have they finally started comming down to their original list price? Or is there a looming problem with them that no one wants them any more.

tim

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-18-2001, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Well the new Mits DVHS is coming out and is compatable with Sony and Mits TV's. These devices have been reviewed here.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 15 Old 09-18-2001, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No looming problem that I'm aware of.

And no sight of another way to record Dish Network or DirecTV HDTV either. So, my semi-educated guess, is that it's just a lull in the action. I would be surprised to see the modulator alone sell for less than $800, but one never knows.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 15 Old 09-18-2001, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Looming problem: Dish has announced that they have a proposal to allow them to cram more HD channels into less transponder space. This new scheme would not be compatible with Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulators.

------------------
Abdul
<FONT size="1">Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group
Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo
HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
It's not HD. It's HBO.
</FONT s>

Abdul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-18-2001, 04:45 PM
PVR

Slow economy...
post #6 of 15 Old 09-18-2001, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Abdul Jalib:
Looming problem: Dish has announced that they have a proposal to allow them to cram more HD channels into less transponder space. This new scheme would not be compatible with Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulators.
This will require new hardware in the Dish distribution system. Due to this, any changes in the receivers won't take place for quite awhile. And it's even more unlikely that the buyers on eBay are aware of the long term issues.

Bottom line: This issue is not affecting the price of the 5000 HD Modulator, at least for now.

For more details on this: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum28/HTML/000360.html

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #7 of 15 Old 09-18-2001, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great. I would hate to see the modulator become useless. Eventually I will have one!!!! I was afraid that some version of HDTV copy protection had been agreed to by dish or something and that the modulator wouldn't work in the future.

Tim

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-19-2001, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

This is disturbing info.
I use mine soley to record HD broadcasts and I have a complete spare 5000 and modulator that has never been opened.

Maybe it is time to pay the $5.00/month fee and activate this spare.

DISH will be getting some VERY loud complaints from me if they obsolete my 6000 and my 2 5000's!
post #9 of 15 Old 09-19-2001, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I smell a change though. My bet is that Dish is announce a date that they will be turning off the 5000s to occur several months after the new boxes come out and will provide a usage or purchase credit to current subscribed owners.

I'm not going to take a chance since any credit will never be close to what people are paying for these things.

------------------
Ken Elliott

Ken Elliott
post #10 of 15 Old 09-19-2001, 09:32 PM

This is just a rumor. There is no actual fact that Dish will use new compression for more bandwidth, so I have doubts that this will really happen. If it does, then I'll make them buy my hardware back from me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Abdul Jalib:

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
post #11 of 15 Old 09-22-2001, 04:46 PM

It's more likely that Dish will simply keep it's current HD lineup uding the old scheme, and add new content with the new encoding method, only available to owners of newer boxes.

------------------
Darren Rogers

[bold]The Eagle[/bold]
The eagle soars and flies in peace
And casts its shadow wide
Across the land, across the seas
Across the far-flung skies
The foolish think the eagle weak
And easy to bring to heel
The Eagle's wings are silken
But its claws are made of steel
The eagle stands for freedom
May we never let it die
And give thanks for all our blessings
As we watch the eagle fly
- Sidney Sheldon

NEC VT540 & HTPC in my stealth theather

Darren
post #12 of 15 Old 09-23-2001, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot:
I smell a change though. My bet is that Dish is announce a date that they will be turning off the 5000s to occur several months after the new boxes come out and will provide a usage or purchase credit to current subscribed owners.

I think you are right Ken, something is up. I have never seen so many modulators and 5000's for sale at one time. I think its the new copy protection issue.

Quote:

I'm not going to take a chance since any credit will never be close to what people are paying for these things.
What do you mean "what people are paying for these", I haven't seen a one single one actually sell on ebay in a while. Most of them go unclaimed because of riduculously high reserve prices. I think people would actually get some return on their investment if they put the reserve at half of the original retail price. I seriously think the modulator is worth that to me. However, going higher than that would require one to consider that maybe next month or later it could be turned off and useless.

Tim

post #13 of 15 Old 09-23-2001, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

two days a ago someone sold a modulator for $200 with the Buy it now option. It lasted almost a hour.

------------------
RJW

RJW
post #14 of 15 Old 09-24-2001, 01:05 AM

I just don't believe that the relatively small number of 5000s with HD modules out there is of any consequence to DISH or anybody else. I don't think they will deactivate them because of pressure from the MPAA or anybody else. As far as a the new compression scheme, I read that press release and I think it was more of someone promoting their new technology than a case of DISH seriously considering it. Too much equipment is out their including 6000s.

The prices on ebay are just a case of supply and demand. For a while there were very few listed, and a bidding war took place on one because a couple of guys had to get theirs right now. Lurkers saw that and thought they were suddenly in short supply, and snapped up a couple more at $1200. Then the lurkers who were waiting to sell theirs, saw that and put them all up for auction. And the people who wanted them, saw all these modulators appear and said, "What just happened?" and the frenzy and the bids subsided. When they get back up to $1200 maybe I'll list my extra one.

------------------
Jay

"Can I please just watch this the way it is supposed to be seen?"

[This message has been edited by J_Nemeth (edited 09-26-2001).]

Jay

"Can I please just watch this the way it was meant to be seen?"
post #15 of 15 Old 09-25-2001, 07:32 PM

Another point to consider is that my HD modulator and my 5000 are under extended warranty. Dish would have serious legal issues if they force me to get rid of this hardware. They could face a serious class action suit and I don't think they want to deal with that. Plus the 6000 models, which is their top model would become obsolete also. They are not out of bandwidth, so they are not even talking about new compression...so unless we have clear evidence, let's not promote rumors on here http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page