JVC Announces New 'HDVideo' Recorder Capable of HDTV Recording and Playback - The HM- - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
HDTV Recorders > JVC Announces New 'HDVideo' Recorder Capable of HDTV Recording and Playback - The HM-
jacmyoung's Avatar jacmyoung 05:50 PM 09-09-2001
Unless if they will sell it for under $500 and prerecorded HD materials can actually pass through the component output in full resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

kelliot's Avatar kelliot 06:09 PM 09-09-2001
Actually all I want is an HD PVR with a free EPG that will hold 10 hours or so.

I could give a damn if it can archive stuff.

------------------
Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 09-09-2001).]
jerndl's Avatar jerndl 06:10 PM 09-09-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by adidadi:
So let me get this straight. They introduce an expensive D-VHS which can't record off the air because of the lack of ATSC tuner and is unable to record satellite HD. What on earth can this do?
It can playback pre-recorded HD movies! Oops, I forgot, those aren't available either.

Jay

indygreg's Avatar indygreg 09:51 PM 09-09-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot:
Actually all I want is an HD PVR with a free EPG that will hold 10 hours or so.

I could give a damn if it can archive stuff.

i am with ken here. we have the double whammy right now - not much programming and no ability to time shift. about once every 2 months a good movie is on in the 2 hour window between when my kids go to bed and when we do.

greg

------------------
-------------------------
Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control
fjerina's Avatar fjerina 08:24 AM 09-10-2001
Does anyone know if Dish intents to provide a port module that is a DVI or 1394 so it would be compatible with the JVS HD recorder???
adidadi's Avatar adidadi 03:44 PM 09-10-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by fjerina:
Does anyone know if Dish intents to provide a port module that is a DVI or 1394 so it would be compatible with the JVS HD recorder???
That is the question of the week. Anyone, anyone....

------------------
Silence is overrated!
Ken H's Avatar Ken H 04:18 PM 09-10-2001
Quote:
Does anyone know if Dish intents to provide a port module that is a DVI or 1394 so it would be compatible with the JVC HD recorder???
Yes, I know. It's a sure thing. And you know too, even if you don't know you do.

From the JVC press release:
EchoStar's DISH Network is committed to offering the most satellite TV-delivered high definition channel choices in the U.S. and to that end, we plan to offer a wide set of compatible formats for viewing,'' said Mark Jackson, senior vice president of EchoStar. We are developing a set top box featuring DVI outputs as well as 1394 (5C) DTCP outputs. A 1394 connection can allow customers to record HD broadcasts in original form on a peripheral D-VHS device. We believe that D-VHS is an ideal and affordable recording and archiving solution for HD broadcasts and should accelerate the overall demand for digital broadcasts.''

This was confirmed by JVC at CEDIA, in direct response to my questions.

AND, there are already other options.

Get this one: some Panasonic TU-DST tuners work with the JVC, some don't. I am attempting to find out more on this very interesting topic.

More: The Sony cable STB (w/1394) should work.

More: The Mitsu promise module and/or new HAVI (w/1394)equipped HDTV's should work, too.

Gentlemen & Ladies, Start Your Recording Engines!

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-10-2001).]
CKNA's Avatar CKNA 06:51 PM 09-10-2001
Does anyone know, when they are going to ship it to retailers?.
mkerdman's Avatar mkerdman 06:58 PM 09-10-2001
"Get this one: some Panasonic TU-DST tuners work with the JVC, some don't. I am attempting to find out more on this very interesting topic."

OK, Ken. Does this hinge on the DST-51 (as opposed to the DST-50) being a device manuafactured after a certain date in 2000, which therefore is 5C aware?

What is the final MSRP of the JVC D-VHS?

Murray Kerdman

michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 07:03 PM 09-10-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by JeremyNeish:
I would like to agree with both sides of this "argument." Most importantly, I am thrilled that JVC decided to not cave in to the MPAA. The fact that this deck has component outputs is the best news I've heard in months. Not to mention all of the exciting HDTV programming news lately.
This deck has 1394/DTCP connectors--they cannot employ this technology without agreeing to treat any copy-protected material received through these connectors as specified in the DTCP Adopters Agreement. That agreement says that material marked "Copy Never" must be image constrained when displayed through analog component video outputs and "Copy One Generation" and "Copy No More" stuff must be image constrained unless accompanied by flags that prohibit the image constraint (which the content provider must employ if the material contains commercial interruptions). So, while this device will record copy-protected HD received through its 1394/DTCP connectors, you will only be able to view that copy-protected material in full HD resolution using a television with copy-protected digital inputs. However, if you archived a copy-protected HD recording and later bought a set with copy-protected inputs, you'd be able to view the recording in full HD with the new monitor.

Note that all rebroadcast of OTA material by cable and DBS cannot be copy protected, so you'd be able to view recordings of ABC's and CBS' HD programming in full HD glory through the component out, and pretty much any HD subscription cable/DBS stuff (because almost all the channels have commercial interruptions) with the exception of premimium cable channel movies (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, TMC, Starz), which'd be broadcast "Copy One Generation" and pay-per-view movies, which'd be broadcast marked "Copy Never".

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 09-10-2001).]
Ken H's Avatar Ken H 07:19 PM 09-10-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by mkerdman:
OK, Ken. Does this hinge on the DST-51 (as opposed to the DST-50) being a device manuafactured after a certain date in 2000, which therefore is 5C aware?

What is the final MSRP of the JVC D-VHS?
I do not have specific info (yet) on which TU-DST tuners will work with the JVC deck, or why some work & some don't. As mentioned above, I am working on this and will report back if/when I find out.

Your assumption regarding when units were manufactured and what effect that would have on the 5C issue is just that: an assumption. To my knowledge, there has never been any proof of 1) What (if any) 5C is incorporated into these units. 2) At what point in time (if at all), this took place. 3) All model 51 have 5C. 4) All model 50 don't have 5C. 5) Units made before the "5C start date" sent in for repair been modified to include 5C.

All of these discussions, and many more regarding the TU-DST tuners and 5C have been speculative. Panasonic refuses to answer questions on this subject and no one else knows for sure.

MSRP is $2000, street price should be about $1500.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm
Hot's Avatar Hot 02:23 PM 09-26-2001
Quote:
The new Echostar HDTV receivers due out next year are supposed to have IEEE1394, DVI and component outputs. This included the Echostar HDPVR-921.

I also only want a recorder for time shifting not archiving. I might be happy with the new Echostar HDPVR-921 alone. I might not need an HDTV VCR. I will have to wait and see.

------------------
Mike aka Hot
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 07:15 PM 10-01-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
I do not have specific info (yet) on which TU-DST tuners will work with the JVC deck, or why some work & some don't. As mentioned above, I am working on this and will report back if/when I find out.
As I was recently speculating that these might have been pulled from the market because they didn't properly implement copy-protection, it could be that some earlier ones are known not to implement Image Constraint of copy-protected content properly and that the certificate signatures of those were placed on the Certificate Revocation List provisioned in the new VCRs at manufacturing time. Other, later revisions might work with the VCRs because they contain corrected firmware that handles CP'd content correctly.

Just a possibility. If true, it could mean dire things for the owners of those STBs that don't work with the deck, since a future CRL upgrade picked up by their Panasonic HD VCR (possibly even through such being picked up by the STB from the HD DBS content and passed to it) could stop the VCR from talking to the STB. (In which case I'd think they'd be entitled to a refund or replacement for the STB, at least).

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 10-01-2001).]
steveh-'s Avatar steveh- 12:34 PM 10-02-2001
Could this JVC switcher be used as an intermediate device? Maybe run a component signal in and convert to ieee1394 out?
steveh-'s Avatar steveh- 12:35 PM 10-02-2001
whoops... forgot to add the link...
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...L003005&page=3

michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 01:01 PM 10-02-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by steveh-:
Could this JVC switcher be used as an intermediate device? Maybe run a component signal in and convert to ieee1394 out?
I don't think so--you'll notice on the detailed spec page , it describes those Firewire inputs as DV input/outputs. Firewire is also used to transport DV, the form of digital video stored by digital camcorders, which is unrelated to DTCP protected HD MPEG-2.

-- Mike Scott

steveh-'s Avatar steveh- 01:54 PM 10-02-2001
Found some more info on the JVC switcher with 1394IEEE.
http://www.jvc.com/pressbox/jsx777.htm

If you were to take the HD component output from a STB it's no longer an enrypted MPEG stream, right? It's analog at that point. If this thing can convert from component back to a digital format in theory you could record that signal... right, wrong?

An quote fomr the link:

Specifically designed to accommodate advanced A/V equipment such as D-VHS decks, DVD players and DV camcorders, the JX-S777 enables input and output switching among these components. To ensure superior picture quality and to prevent any sound or picture deterioration, the JX-S777 incorporates only the most advanced digital technology and precision components so that incoming and outgoing signals maintain their original high quality.

jacmyoung's Avatar jacmyoung 02:25 PM 10-02-2001
Please note "Digital signal format conversion circuit is not incorporated in the JX-S777."

This is just a switcher, no conversion from one type of signal format to the other.
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop