JVC Announces New 'HDVideo' Recorder Capable of HDTV Recording and Playback - The HM- - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a link to a press release on a new Hd Recorder
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010907/72174_1.html

------------------
Robert Laird
robert@olyford.com

Robert Laird

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

For reference, some comments on this were made there , but the discussion should continue here.

------------------
The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!
Our Silent Angels
Please visit The Manny Page!

HBO is guilty of Crimes Against Filmanity!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

Our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please visit
post #3 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if this will have an ATSC tuner built in? The specs in the release talk about VHF and UHF channels, but does not distinguish NTSC and ATSC, and the statements in the release seem to imply that you need a separate STB to record ATSC. What I really want is the equivalent of a VCR, not something to hook to a second STB (especially since there aren't any shipping with IEEE 1394 outputs).
post #4 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
No ATSC tuner, DTV recording from IEEE1394 only.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

No ATSC tuner? Oh, well what can you expect for a first generation device.

I'm with acourvil, I want a HD-VCR.

So for me to buy one, it will have to have built-in ATSC tuner capability at least. I would prefer for it to also have 256QAM tuner (HD cable-ready) capability. Hey, I can wish can't I. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Stephen Couch
post #6 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The big question is will it work with TUDST50 and how much will it cost initially?
post #7 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
No ATSC tuner, DTV recording from IEEE1394 only.
Are you absolutely sure about this?

You mean they put in a tuner, but it only tunes NTSC?

If true, how completely and utterly braindead!

Does it have some sort of tuner output so that the built-in tuner/timer (it does have a timer, doesn't it?) can be used with an external ATSC tunerless decoder (do these exist?)

Or are the engineers that design these things on crack?

I second all of acourvil's and stephenC's comments.
post #8 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I did found an old post which indicated the original suggested price for this unit was $2,000. If this insane price holds true, it must at least have an ATSC tuner.

Or the engineers must not only be on crack, but wanted to sell the prototypes to replenish the supply.
post #9 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm as sure as the press release. It is very clear about this question.

------------------
tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-07-2001).]

post #10 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
I'm as sure as the press release. It is very clear about this question.
Well, if we're talking about the yahoo article to which the original post links, I disagree. I think it's clear as mud.

In fact, my initial read was exactly the same as acourvil's. I noticed exactly the same things and had exactly the same question. Then I looked at it again and thought they must be talking about satellite set top boxes, because they go on to talk about Echostar providing HDTV by satellite.

Now I've read it yet a third time and I can see that it seems carefully worded not to say that ATSC functionality is included, but simply that it is ATSC "compatible", so I must admit that your interpretation looks correct.

I must also stand by my earlier comments, and I would further add that I'm getting rather tired of having to do Clintonesque parsing of press releases in order to figure out what's what in the HDTV world. First CBS says O&O markets can get CBS via satellite, then they say oops, they meant to say "exclusive" O&O markets, as if that little word really makes things any clearer to anyone other than a lawyer. Now we have a device built for "timeshifting", according to JVC, that provides "Full Spec HDTV Compatibility", records all ATSC formats, and tunes all OTA channels, and more than that, it's forward and backward compatible with VHS, SVHS, SVHS-ET, converts analog to digital and back, and from the tone of the press release, generally does everything but wipe your rear, but guess what, if you want to actually record OTA HDTV, you still need another box to tune and demodulate the ATSC signal.

Gimme a friggin' break! It's no bloody wonder HDTV is going nowhere in the marketplace…..

[This message has been edited by joblo (edited 09-07-2001).]
post #11 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

joblo,

The HD world is no better or worse than the rest of the world we live in. Press releases are no different here than anywhere else, why would you expect something different?

JVC announced this product months ago, it never had a ATSC tuner, it doesn't now either.

And vastly contrary to your pronouncement, "It's no bloody wonder HDTV is going nowhere in the marketplace…..", the following was posted on AVS earlier today:

JULY BOASTS STRONGEST DTV SALES OF THE YEAR
------------------------------------------------------------------------
News Summary
Manufacturer-to-dealer sales of digital television (DTV) monitors and sets (monitors with integrated tuners) totaled 117,851 units with $222 million in revenue during July, according to figures released today by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA).

Arlington, VA, 9/7/01 -- Manufacturer-to-dealer sales of digital television (DTV) monitors and sets (monitors with integrated tuners) totaled 117,851 units with $222 million in revenue during July, according to figures released today by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). The unit sales represent a 165 percent increase over the same period in 2000.

These figures mark the most successful month for DTV sales so far this year, with a 30 percent increase over June unit sales and a 39 percent increase over June dollar sales.

"Consumers are embracing the digital experience, which offers crystal clear pictures and enveloping sound," said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of CEA. "Manufacturers continue to introduce a wide variety of new DTV products including HDTV sets retailing for under $2,000.

Indeed, despite the economic turbulence, more and more consumers are turning on DTV, reinforcing our contention that consumer electronics provide maximum value. We expect to see strong numbers month after month as more consumers experience DTV."

Consumer dollar investment in DTV is projected to reach nearly $5 billion by the end of this year. CEA projects sales of DTV sets and monitors to continue their rapid growth in the coming years, with unit sales of 1.1 million this year, 2.1 million in 2002, 4 million in 2003, 5.4 million in 2004, 8 million in 2005 and 10.5 million in 2006.

About CEA:
The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) represents more than 650 U.S. companies involved in the design, development, manufacturing and distribution of audio, video, mobile electronics, wireless and landline communications, information technology, multimedia and
accessory products, as well as related services that are sold through consumer channels. Combined, CEA's members account for more than $70 billion in annual sales. CEA's resources are available online at www.CE.org, the definitive source for information about the consumer electronics industry.

------------------
tm

post #12 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

I must say I share everyone elses frustration at no ATSC tuner; it's very lame. I'm quite sure, even though I can't use the firewire record facility, that many folks like me would rush out an buy one if it had a HD tuner, given the huge bump in OTA HD material coming this fall.

As it stands, it will be of interest to those of us with the new Mits/Sony HDTV with firewire,Those of us with a HD cable box w/firewire, those of us with the Pany combo who want a replacement for the HD1000 and those of us who want to simply watch the pre-recorded movies with it (which as yet haven't been announced). It's really frustrating. It's not as though this is tough technology or that incorporating an ATSC tuner would have increased the cost very much.

However, the presence of component outputs is very good; do you all remember there was much discussion about this a few months ago.

------------------
"You can't argue with a confident man"
- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

[This message has been edited by HiDefGuy (edited 09-07-2001).]
post #13 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 05:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I agree with Ken.

I ahve spent thousands of dollars here this summer trying to put together a new edit suite that is state of the art for the new digital formats and be able to dump to DVD. Extra thousands of dollars were spent simply because of companies withholding important facts about their product's limitations and shortcomings. Nothing is as it seems until you own it and can find out for yourself. Then the companies weasel out of their claims by referring you to the fine print in a readme file on their web site that no normal person reads anyway. It's the new way of doing business!

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

Don Landis
post #14 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Ken,

Assuming that CEA’s rosy predictions come true, it’s still not all that impressive. Even if all the units sold were allocated just one per household, we would still be talking about only a 30% market penetration by 2006, far short of the 85% the FCC was originally looking for. And of course, they won’t be allocated just one per household, and many units sold this year may have to be replaced in less than five years, for reasons well discussed in these forums.

More to the point, note the press release cites manufacturer-to-dealer sales, and then follows that up with a quote about consumers “embracing†the “digital experienceâ€. Well, let me tell you, I “embraced†a $15,000 plasma display in a dealer’s showroom, myself -- told him truthfully it was the best TV picture I’d ever seen in my life! -- but I sure didn’t write him a check.

Frankly, this press release is just another of the sort that I was talking about in my previous rant, and I thank you for helping to make my point. All that press release really says is that dealers are getting plenty of inventory. I’m certainly glad to hear that. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

But the real test will be how well that inventory actually sells to the consumer….
post #15 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

And one more point: a “DTV monitor†doesn’t necessarily have anything whatsoever to do with HDTV. Doesn’t need an ATSC tuner, and doesn’t have to be capable of displaying true HD formats. Integrate an NTSC tuner with said monitor and you have a “DTV setâ€. Means absolutely nothing, as far as HD is concerned.
post #16 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

joblo,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it seems your understanding of how retail business works is entirely different than mine. Having worked in the consumer electronics business for a few years, I can tell you from direct experience they do not order product that they don't plan on selling in short order, it simply would put them out of business.

As far as DTV sales not having anything to do with HDTV, again, your understanding of things is different than mine. Almost all DTV products are capable of HDTV, very few EDTV products have been made, and the buying public has not seen the wisdom of buying them instead of HDTV Monitors, which have fallen into in the same price range. It is true that many HDTV Monitors are being bought primarily for DVD use, but I believe these DTV sales are occurring with the idea of upgrading to HDTV as programming becomes available and easy to obtain.

And so as the market fails to embrace HDTV, in the last 48 hours we have a brand new DBS HDTV network start operations, one of the national TV networks announces almost all their entire entertainment programing schedule will be in HDTV for the first time, and another national TV network announces they will continue to provide almost their entire entertainment schedule in HDTV, for the third consecutive year. Ok, I give up.

------------------
tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-07-2001).]

post #17 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 08:04 PM

I would like to agree with both sides of this "argument." Most importantly, I am thrilled that JVC decided to not cave in to the MPAA. The fact that this deck has component outputs is the best news I've heard in months. Not to mention all of the exciting HDTV programming news lately.

However, leaving out the ATSC tuner is just plain silly. If they had included a tuner it would have been a home run. But at least we are at third base.

One more question, will this new deck play all of my HD1000 tapes?

Jeremy

------------------
D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)
I want Buffy in HDTV!

"Done the Impossible" a Firefly Fan Documentary.
post #18 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 08:26 PM

Now if someone comes out with a "box" that will enable my RCA dtc-100 RGB output to feed into the 1394 input of the HD-3000....... Come on RCA SUPPORT YOUR EQUPITMENT!

"Perfection is unobtainable" -Kevin Costner in "Tin Cup"
"However Kate Beckensale, Charlize Theron, and Liv Tyler come damn close"- Sam54
post #19 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 08:57 PM

The JVC reps with whom I spoke at the 2001 CES show in January, said it would play D-VHS tapes made with the present JVC Dish Network D-VHS recorder. I did not ask about HD-1000 compatability. Given that the present Japanese version of the 30000 will play the HD-1000 tapes,
suggests to me that it probably will.
post #20 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Great! Now when and where can I buy it?!!!
post #21 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like this US version is nearly identical to the DH30000 that some of us have purchased from Japan. That version had an NTSC tuner set for Japanese channel spacing, and BS capability. The US version has an NTSC tuner tuned to US spacing and no satellite capability.

I wonder if it has all the same bugs.

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
post #22 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

It is finally here. I am going to buy one as soon as possible.
post #23 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 09:32 PM

Several questions:
- Is this the same as the Japanese release?
- Can this deck record from a DST-50?
- Does this send full HD over the analog component outputs?
- Can I dub to or from an HD-1000?

Jeremy

------------------
D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)
I want Buffy in HDTV!

"Done the Impossible" a Firefly Fan Documentary.
post #24 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 09:36 PM

Excerpt from the story;
Finally. The wait is over. The video format that HDTV has been waiting for, will be making its way into living rooms all over the nation, in the form of the HM-DH30000U from JVC.
Notice: The i.Link/DV connection of this product conforms to EIA-775-A ``DTV 1394 Interface'' Specification, dated April 2000 (the ``Specification'') and use of this product with any other product, device, component, part or material that is not in conformity or compliant with the Specification may not be supported.

Does this mean that current HDTV's and satellites with equipment that don't have a 5c firwire port are outta luck???

post #25 of 48 Old 09-07-2001, 09:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
As for the ATSC tuner problem- I see it as a world wide compatibility issue. Enter the two piece system. In this way they make the VCR and then offer two tuner standards. COFDM for some countries and 8VSB for others including the USA. As the market grows, VCR's with tuners built in in both standards will become available.

Some of you will recall that when VCR's first entered the scene in the late 70's the tuner was a separate item. I had my first home VCR as a 3/4Umatic consumer VCR and even it's tuner was a drop in module. My first VCR was a two piece VCR / Tuner system.

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

Don Landis
post #26 of 48 Old 09-08-2001, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maybe I missed it, but, based on the grey market units experiance and the press release, will thew Panasonic TU-DST50W be able to feed and control recording information (Dish 5000/Mod. HBO/SHO output & OTA HD) to the new JVC HM-DH30000U D-VHS?

Also, will the new JVC HM-DH30000U D-VHS be able to dub tapes back and forth with the the Panasonic PV-HD-1000?

Murray Kerdman

Murray Kerdman
post #27 of 48 Old 09-08-2001, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

About the lack of ATSC tuner: JVC wants to stay away from us using the tool to record from any other source than Firewire. Lemme explain:

say they did have an ATSC tuner built in (would add ~3% to their cost). We would immediately use it to record Dish HD
via modulator. Not good said MPAA and so indicated it to JVC which duly complied. This is the only reason I can think of. JVC's engs are not dumb.

To record anything it must come from a Firewire source.
It means 5C. It means that JVC is in clear of being accused of de-facto enabling an-authorized recording of HD-grade material.

Anyway, as good as this announcement sounds, it immediately puts the carriage ahead of the horse: we have a way to record, but not Dish or DTV, at least not w/o spending extra $2K to be able to do so (I assume Dish & Panny combo folx are happy enough with their existing setups and dont have spare $2K to spend w/o gaining anything extra).

I wish RCA would step in @ this point and deliver another 1-2-3 combination: DTC100M: the very same DTC100 we all love,
with may be improved tuner/ ability to combine and edit STB and OTA channel listings

PLUS:

"16x9time"-like little built-in module, that would allow internal MPEG-2 stream to be available for recording via a Firewire port AND an extra Firewire port for connection of external source of MPEG-2 stream. Add an extra "source" button on the front panel (we would now have: DTV, OTA, 1394), get an IR discrete code for it and this is something I would by.

If they want, they can even disable this port when a recording-restricted broadcast is detected (they already have the circuitry after all, to do just that with the HD output).

Offer an "uprade" program for current owners of DTC100, where we can trade in out old and beloved units http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif and get the new ones for say $300. Then, and only then will I spend
another $2 to get and HD VCR.

Anything else, for me @ least, means:

- get the VCR ($2K)
- get a separate OTA firewire-enabled tuner ($700)
- get a switcheroo box so that I can feed my Mits
from either DTC-100 (RGB) or Victor (YCrCb): $500 @
least.
- the whole setup would result in complete wiring mess and even my trusty Pronto would go crazy after I put in all the macros this setup would require

- and still I would not have ability to record HBO/Showtime/HDnet (mind you, so far none of which object to their content being recorderded ).

I've been saying all along: we have one party to thank for this mess: MPAA. So, thank you MPAA, but thank you. I wont be in line buying this woderful VCR any time soon. That's my $2K (which is 200,000 bigger than $.02 and thus oughtta hurt in economy like this) - may be JVC would finally get a spine and stop behaving like ameba afer me and hundreds of others stay away from this overpriced/1Y late/seriously castrated piece of equipment.
post #28 of 48 Old 09-09-2001, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
> Some of you will recall that when VCR's first entered the scene in the late 70's the tuner was a separate item.

This was true for some U-Matic VCRs, but I think Beta and VHS had built in tuners from the very beginning.

I think that including an ATSC tuner in a digital VCR is indeed something that should be a no-brainer. The fact that it is excluded does either suggest Hollywood pressure or massive brain death at the CE companies.
post #29 of 48 Old 09-09-2001, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I will not be buying one either. This dismal effort falls well short.

------------------
The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!
Our Silent Angels
Please visit The Manny Page!

HBO is guilty of Crimes Against Filmanity!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

Our
Please visit
post #30 of 48 Old 09-09-2001, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So let me get this straight. They introduce an expensive D-VHS which can't record off the air because of the lack of ATSC tuner and is unable to record satellite HD. What on earth can this do?

------------------
Silence is overrated!

Silence is overrated!
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page