post #1 of 5 Old 09-30-2001, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally posted by elm_sd:
I was thinking that mabee the Radeon 8500 just might be the all end answer to us older hdtv with out the firewire connection. This card is supose to have a firewire connection and support 480i, 480p, 1080i, and 720p with a DVI to componnent output
ALl we need is the proper software..

anythoughts

You talkin' about this ? So far as I can see, the Firewire connection on that board does not implement the DTCP copy-protection protocol--I would be very surprised if the DTLA ever licensed a computer interface implementing this, since it requires that the device store authorization signature keys, its own encryption keys and a Certificate Revocation List in a physically tamper-proof fashion, which would be hard to achieve on a graphics interface board. Moreoever, any decrypted copy-protected data must be handled in a physically tamper-proof fashion, which is impossible to achieve, since the only conceivable purpose would be to deliver such to the computer.

The Firewire connector on this board is for downloading DV data from digital camcorders and cameras and the DVI interface is for connection of the board to digital computer displays. IMO, it could not talk to a copy-protected HD recorder using this interface, unless it were using an illegal program and stolen keys. You'd have to keep stealing keys to keep such a program running, since as soon as the DTLA discovered the use of the stolen keys, they'd be put on the CRL for distribution and eventually become useless.

-- Mike Scott

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-30-2001, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's no fun it would seem to me that it would be the perfect interface between these new STB and Component HDTV. But I don't know enough about firewire in the first place

It was a nice idea!

------------------
Elminster

ELM_SD

Quality TV = C-Band
post #3 of 5 Old 09-30-2001, 09:31 PM

I was thinking that mabee the Radeon 8500 just might be the all end answer to us older hdtv with out the firewire connection. This card is supose to have a firewire connection and support 480i, 480p, 1080i, and 720p with a DVI to componnent output
ALl we need is the proper software..

anythoughts

------------------
Elminster

ELM_SD

Quality TV = C-Band
post #4 of 5 Old 10-02-2001, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's an interesting point and I guess I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Will 5C/DTCP send non copy protected material to an unauthorized box? Or will it refuse to talk at all?

- Tom

------------------
<FONT size="1">
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website . </FONT s>
<FONT size="2">And Free Dmitri Sklyarov!</FONT s>

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #5 of 5 Old 10-02-2001, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry:
That's an interesting point and I guess I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Will 5C/DTCP send non copy protected material to an unauthorized box? Or will it refuse to talk at all?

- Tom

To get a 5C source of a copy-protected program to talk to you, you must initiate an Athentication and Key Exchange (AKE) sequence. During this, you present credentials proving your right to receive the data that you've asked for which can be checked by the source. You're also supposed to check the credentials of the source and refuse to talk to it if it doesn't pass muster. Both you and the source check to see if you're on each other's current Certificate Revocation Lists, and if one finds the other there, it is not to communicate with it. There are two types of AKE--Full AKE, required for reception of "Copy Never" content, which uses a public-key scheme with very long keys and some hairy algorithms, and Restricted AKE, which is all that's required to receive "Copy One Generation" or "Copy No More" (replayed "Copy One Generation") stuff, which involves four sets of shared 64-bit secret keys. This last would be a lot easier to break, but not trivial and is designed for recorders other than PVRs, which typically have limited computational capability. Such recorders aren't given the public/private key stuff it takes to acheive Full AKE, so they can never establish a connection to receive "Copy Never". PVRs will be provisioned with such, since people will want to watch "Copy Never" through them for the pause and rewind capability, though they won't be allowed to archive it.

"Copy Freely" content is not encrypted and does not require any AKE, so you could probably write a program for a computer firewire interface to request and record such from a 1394/DTCP source. You could write a program to receive copy-protected data if you had stolen keys and the secret portions of the DTCP protocol, but that would be illegal under the DMCA. Stealing the keys would probably break other laws as well.

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 10-02-2001).]

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page