Does a VGA-out to IEEE1394-in converter box exist? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-03-2001, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seeing as I've got a lot of devices that output VGA output (my Skyworth, RCA DTC-100, etc) I was wondering if there's a device that converts a VGA output to a IEEE1394 signal that can be patched into an IEEE1394 recording device.

Does such a device exist, and if not, can one be made fairly easily?

-Troy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-03-2001, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 214
No, I don't think anyone makes such a device. Furthermore if made, it could not be authorized for 5C. The DMCA prevents such devices from being sold.

In any case it's a fairly complex device in that VGA video is full bandwidth and must be compressed 160:1. I don't think a black market device will be available anytime soon because of the expense involved, not the legal concerns.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 12 Old 10-03-2001, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Granted that there are (large) hurdles to such a device, but in the event of its existence, couldn't it be attached to a firewire equipped HTPC for archival and retrieval of the payload?

------------------
The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!
Our Silent Angels
Please visit The Manny Page!

HBO is guilty of Crimes Against Filmanity!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

Our Silent Angels Please visit The Manny Page!
post #4 of 12 Old 10-03-2001, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,
I am on the verge of building my HTPC.
The base componants for my HTPC will be a MS-6215 Slim PC and a HiPix card.
Since the MS-6215 has IEEE.1394 ports, I have been searching for software solutions that would let me pass MPEG2 video stream to and from my HTPC to the new Promise Module.
I am also looking into provideing an HAVi interface for the HTPC, so that the system can be control by HDTV.

I realize that none of this software is available now. But given a few months and open-source programing the software can be made available. An HAVi Linux API will be release shortly.

If anyone has any more infromation please let me know!
Sincerely,

------------------
Bruce.in.Cary

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
post #5 of 12 Old 10-03-2001, 08:19 PM

That is what essentially a HD MPEG encoder is , and they are at this time commercial only units priced starting at $80K+.

Now that being said , a commercial MPEG2 encoder 3 years ago cost $30K (now down to $20K) and that was equated in the consumer market with the Tivo/Replay units using a consumer Sony Standard Def encoder chipset for a few hundred. Now that's a consumer "alternative" of a similar product for a factor of 50x less ....

***They are at different ends of the Quality scale , but on the same basic scale ! , good enough for consumer use..**

Since it takes 6x the processing power to compress a HD image, it would make sense at this time if a consumer Electronic Manufacture wanted to make one , cost equates to about $3K on the street in it's consumer form... but the volume would have to be much higher than it would be now to justify the R&D given the SLOW HD Take up in the USA.

[This message has been edited by PostinHD (edited 10-03-2001).]
post #6 of 12 Old 10-04-2001, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally posted by Man E:
Granted that there are (large) hurdles to such a device, but in the event of its existence, couldn't it be attached to a firewire equipped HTPC for archival and retrieval of the payload?

Along these lines anything is possible. Yes, it could be built and even made to hack 5C and record anything and everything to a 1394 port. But it's a tall order and not worth the effort. Anyone with those skills is way too busy doing more constructive things.

Keep in mind too that a 1394 port on a computer is not exactly an open gateway to dump high data rate information on the harddisk. Just as an RS232 port alone does not make a PC into a dumb terminal. You need terminal emulation software such as HyperTerminal or ProComm. You will need some utility that can speak to your 1394 source and record / play the data in a format the source device wants to see.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #7 of 12 Old 10-04-2001, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Glimmie. My question got wrapped up in the hacking thing, to which I was not refering. I was just commenting about the fictious consumer HD MPEG2 encoder mentioned above whose fictious firewire output could be sent to today's firewire equipped HTPC (granted some software is required). I too have several HD component/RGB devices from which I would like to do personal archival.

------------------
Our Silent Angels

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-05-2001, 08:57 AM

Has anyone looked into this?
http://www.promax.com/PDF/Products/%20DA-MAX+.pdf

Sounds like it converts component to IEEE1394

void where prohibited
offer not valid in Alaska and Hawaii
post #9 of 12 Old 10-05-2001, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Sadly, under Analog Video Formats we find:

NTSC (525 line / 60 Hz) or PAL (625 line / 50 Hz)
Betacam, SMPTE or MII levels (With or Without Setup)

------------------
Our Silent Angels

post #10 of 12 Old 10-05-2001, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
No MPEGII encoder/decoder.

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
post #11 of 12 Old 10-05-2001, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
No, I don't think anyone makes such a device. Furthermore if made, it could not be authorized for 5C. The DMCA prevents such devices from being sold.
Actually, such a device could be made under the DTCP Adopter's Agreement, it just couldn't output copy-protected programming in full HD resolution over the VGA outputs. Non-copy-protected stuff moved over 1394/DTCP could be ouptut in full resolution. The restrictions for VGA are strange and different than for other high-definition analog and there's additional language that seems to draw a distinction between VGA incorporated into computer products and other uses of VGA. Any such conversion device--1394/DTCP-to-VGA, -to-HD-analog-component-video, -to-whatever--would be mildly expensive, though. It'd need interface chipsets for 1394/DTCP and chips for the other outputs and a reasonably powerful CPU as a controller, particularly if you wanted to do full Authentication and Key Exchange, necessary to receive "Copy Never" content. I'd estimate around $150 to make, depending upon what connections you put in it--multiple simultaneous outputs would cost more. I think that a box like this, with DVI/HDCP, VGA and HD analog component video outputs would be very handy in a 1394/DTCP world, though such a beast would probably cost at least $400 retail. (Don't trust my estimates, though--I'm just an engineer, not a finance guy. Mark-ups vary wildly depending upon what the market will bear: my current company, for instance, makes mobile phones, where the margins are paper thin. HD equipment, at least at the moment, is somewhat more precious).

-- Mike Scott

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #12 of 12 Old 10-05-2001, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steveh-:
Has anyone looked into this?
http://www.promax.com/PDF/Products/%20DA-MAX+.pdf

Sounds like it converts component to IEEE1394
At DV25 4:1:1 format , same as camcorder format