Dish 5000 Panasonic DST50 anomoly - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-01-2001, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Dish 5000. Its HDTV modulator output is connected to a Panasonic DST50, tuned to channel 4. The YPbPr output of the DST50 is connected to a CTC-1 converter to produce an RGB signal which I feed to a computer monitor. I have used this set up for months and I get a great picture from all of the Dish HDTV channels.

I added OTA signals over the weekend by connecting a UHF antenna (Radio Shack double bow tie) to the antenna input on the Dish modulator and scanned in the OTA channels. When I select one of the OTA channels in the Dish unit, the antenna signal apparently is routed back out of the HDTV modulator and arrives at the input of the DST50. I then use the DST50 to tune through the local channels. ABC shows up just fine. On CBS, besides the HDTV channel 6-1, there is a radar map on 6-2. If I tune to 6-2, the picture totally loses sync. Then whatever I tune to, OTA or Dish, the picture remains out of sync. This appears to be a DST50 problem since cycling it power is the only way to fix the sync.

Has anyone seen this problem on the DST50? Is there a fix? Am I doing something wrong?

I debated posting this on HDTV hardware, but the DST50 experts are all probably on this forum.

------------------
George Waters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-04-2001, 03:58 PM
sr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What is the manufacturer/model of this $17 device? This sounds great.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-05-2001, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

George,

What switch setting on the back of the 50? Native, or 1080i/480p? I have a similar setup with a CTC transcoder and a small monitor. If I set the 51 to native output there are some OTA stations that won't display. They must be something other than 1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i, because they will display properly when the 51 is set to the 1080i/420p position. Of course, they become 480p then.

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
post #4 of 4 Old 10-07-2001, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Gridleak, that was it.

I had forgotten the existence of the switch. It was in the all ATSC modes setting. When I switched it to 1080i/480p, I could then see the local OTA HDTV channel and its weather map perfectly. My monitor or the DST50 output must object to the output rate and get stuck until I power cycle.

Voodoody's hint about unplugging the 5000 to maximise signal throughput from the antenna also helped in the troubleshooting as I was finding hard to figure out how I had to set the Dish 5000 to allow the signal through, so now I have his baseline to compare with. It seems to me, when the 5000 is on, it needs to be tuned to any local DTV channel for the antenna signal to pass on through to the DST50. As a test I programmed in a non-existent DTV channel. This channel lets the antenna signal through just as well. I use the DST50 tuner to select the local OTA HDTV channel.

It all works now. Thanks to all.

------------------
George Waters
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page