Panasonic TU-DST50W - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-08-2001, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have an IR file for the Panasonic TU-DST50W that works? I can handle it in Crestron, Pronto or RC5/6 formats.. the one on Crestron's site doesn't work (at least with my unit).

Thanks in advance.

Rob
rob@bowman.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-08-2001, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Since this unit is usually discussed in the HDTV Recorders forum, I'm going to move it there for a better chance at a response.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 11 Old 10-09-2001, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting.. so maybe the IR file I have is valid, it just isn't working with my Crestron system for whatever reason.. definitely second the request for help from anyone that has gotten an IR repeater to work with this unit..

thanks,

rob
post #4 of 11 Old 10-09-2001, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

I've never had any difficulty using an IR repeater for the DST50. I use a Xantech blaster adhering directly to the front panel of the DST50 at the appropriate location.

The sensor is located at about the 2 o'clock direction starting from the letter "c" of the Panasonic logo on the front panel. It's about half an inch from the "c". The sensor location is delineated by a rectangular shaped area that is distinguishable from the rest of the front panel.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-09-2001, 02:17 PM
sr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's exactly were I placed the emitter. You can clearly see the IR receive window if you shine a flashlight over the area. What model repeater are you using? Do you have the discrete codes to turn the unit "on" and "off." The remote only toggles the power with the same command.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-09-2001, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

I also have my emitter using a Crestron system placed exactly over where you are describing (you can see a small rectangle unshaded area where the ir receiver is). it just doesn't work... and i know all my hardware is good, as i've used it with other equipment.... very strange.

rob
post #7 of 11 Old 10-09-2001, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

just got my panasonic working thanks to a pronto ccf file that richard weza sent my way.. the crestron ir file on crestron's site is definitely bad..

if anyone needs a working IR file in either the crestron or pronto format.. let me know via email, be happy to send it over.

rob@bowman.org
post #8 of 11 Old 10-09-2001, 09:48 PM
sr

It's interesting you ask that question. I just posted a request for anyone with knowledge on IR issues with the DST-50. I have a Niles repeater and have tried both Niles and Xantech emitters with no success. All other components in my HT work fine. The receiver responds to both the Pronto and it's own remote, but won't work through an IR repeater. I even experimented and moved the emitter away from the window and adjusted the level from minimum to maximum output...still does not respond. If anyone can help I would be thrilled.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-10-2001, 03:59 PM
sr

I downloaded the ccf file to the Pronto and it can control the DST50 if I use the remote control without the Niles IR repeater and flasher. I'm back to square one. Everything seems to point that the Niles repeater can't pass this signal. The red talk-back LED on the receive sensor and the green LED on the repeater will flash when a command is executed but that's where it ends. It's disappointing that both Niles and Panasonic cannot help. Both have no information regarding the frequency of the DST50 remote. Niles says the range of the repeater is between 20 kHz to 100 kHz, and also will repeat 455 kHz.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-10-2001, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Robert, thanks for the props. I just forwarded a file that Nick Beatty sent to me, he is the one who did the real work.

Rick

------------------
RJW

RJW
post #11 of 11 Old 10-10-2001, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know which Niles repeater I use; I'll check and report later.

However, there are two kinds of repeaters; one is "transparent" the other is not. Niles makes both kinds, and after unsuccessfully experimenting with the "non-transparent" version, I had to change to the "transparent" version.

Some words of explanation:

The word "transparent" here does not refer to optically transparent, but rather to electronically transparent.

The "transparent" Niles repeater system picks up an IR signal at the sensor, and repeats, nearly exactly, this signal at the IR blaster in the remote location.

The "non-transparent" version picks up an IR signal at the sensor and converts it to an IF frequency which can often be adjusted within a specific range before sending it on to the IR blaster. Unfortunately, different components like to see different frequencies and in my case, using the "non-transparent" Niles system, I was unable to adjust the IF frequency to suit both the RCA DTC100 and other components in my system. As soon as I changed to the "transparent" system, I had no problems with any of my components.

My advice is to use the "transparent" Niles system, especially if you add new components from time to time.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page