Closed Thread

post #31 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ken H,
Are you sure that you can not record an analog signal digitally. I spoke with JVC, and they said that you can, and in there spec sheat it says: "MPEG2 CODEC (encoding/decoding) for digital recording for digital recording of analog sources". So have you actually tried to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by speters:
Are you sure that you can not record an analog signal digitally?
Oops! I was wrong. You are correct that the unit will record an NTSC signal in digital format. Sorry about that, I edited my post above to reflect the correct info.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 10-11-2001).]

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #33 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One thing that escaped my attention before, is that the 30000 will record a 720p program and do the playback in 1080i. This will be a nice feature for those of us who have a local ABC DTV station but don't have a 720p display.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

post #34 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 02:40 PM

Maybe I missed it in the manual but I don't see how one can record any HDTV using this VCR. One still has to use the panny combo.

Jim
post #35 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

jblair,

Thanks for pointing out the manual. A lot of it applies to the Japanese version as well.

Mike,

It does have two 1394 connectors, one in front and one in back. It really looks like this is just an Americanized version of the Japanese DH30000; all the same functions and capability minus the BS connectors and with NTSC retuned to US channels. Also has standard US (RCA) component connectors, which will allow the use of higher quality cables.

Now I wonder if it has the same display problem as the Japanese version does.

------------------
-Roger
Analog -- Always out of adjustment.
Digital -- Always one more bug.

-Roger
post #36 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally posted by gridleak:
It does have two 1394 connectors, one in front and one in back. It really looks like this is just an Americanized version of the Japanese DH30000; all the same functions and capability minus the BS connectors and with NTSC retuned to US channels. Also has standard US (RCA) component connectors, which will allow the use of higher quality cables.
You're right! This is a horrible manual--no where in it is a picture in which that connector is labelled. It is, however, clearly visible if you blow up that side of the front view of the drawing, along with Sony's I.LINK logo (actually, it's completely undistorted when blown up, since it's drawn in embedded postscript). This manual is just as bad as the manual for the JVC RX-8010VBK crap receiver that I just bought.

I guess the second I.LINK connector was placed there for convenience in hooking up DV camcorders (it's probably the one they mean when they refer to the "DV connector")--it'd be kind of ugly for daisy-chaining your A/V network. All the other equipment I've seen have both on back, but this unit's ability to dub DV onto D-VHS is a unique plus (for camcorder owners--a technology that I've always thought was cool but have never found a personal use for).
Quote:
Now I wonder if it has the same display problem as the Japanese version does.
And what display problems are those?

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 10-11-2001).]

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #37 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

The DH30000 has two display modes for HD. One is full resolution 1080i that appears to be nearly equal in PQ to the Panny 50/51. The second mode is severely downrezzed, but probably still 1080i. I'll have to put a scope on it to find out because my monitor (a 50" plasma) scales automatically, and only reports the frequency of the input (33k I think).

There is no indication from the JVC, other than PQ, as to which mode it's in. Some source material will switch it to hi-rez mode and keep it there. Other sources will display in the mode the JVC is in at the moment. I have yet to find a source that will force it into lo-rez mode.

The problem is that the JVC will not stay reliably in the hi-rez mode. One trick has been to put a brief "hi-rez starter" clip at the beginning of every tape to try to keep the recorder in hi-rez.

It's pretty obvious now that this is some sort of faulty implementation of the copy protection requirements. I guess the question is: Will this flaw allow full resolution analog display of copy protected tapes?

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
post #38 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 06:12 PM

Does anyone know if this unit can be used to cross firewire
to component without recording ? Ie., would it serve as
a firewire to component converter box ?
post #39 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by samiam:
Does anyone know if this unit can be used to cross firewire
to component without recording ? Ie., would it serve as
a firewire to component converter box ?
Yeah, gridleak--inquiring minds wanna know http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif. After I asked you what the display problems were, I went and did a search on the HDTV Recorders forum for posts by you and read all about your experiences with the Japanese HM-DH30000 in combination with Panasonic's discontinued TU-DST51a and PV-HD1000--my hat's off.

Can you use the Japanese HM-DH30000 to watch an HD broadcast from the TU-DST51 without recording it? Or can you even monitor what's being recorded off the Firewire through the deck's HD analog outputs? I realize that this isn't something that you'd normally do, since the TU-DST51 has analog outputs of its own, but it might be a good reason for someone with a cable or DBS STB whose only HD output is 1394/DTCP (Sony's new cable STB being the only one such deployed, so far) and a set with only analog HD inputs to buy this deck.

Thinking about monitoring 1394/DTCP through analog HD made me think of something; I wonder what happens when the program being watched changes? Do the participants exchanging video data go through authentication again? What if you were watching a "Copy One Generation" program and switched to a "Copy Freely" program? Does the source and sink re-negotiate and stop encrypting/decrypting the stream? As an engineering problem, this is endlessly fascinating.

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 10-11-2001).]

post #40 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the DH30000 will display firewire input whether you are recording or not. In fact you can select from several different firewire sources that are daisy chained to the inputs (up to 63 I suppose). This feature made the JVC popular here for dubbing and editing DVHS tapes, at least before we discovered how to use a hub with Panny equipment.

------------------
-Roger

-Roger
post #41 of 48 Old 10-12-2001, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Is there really a serious issue with having just one Firewire port on the back? I was under the impression that you can use a Firewire hub to connect devices together instead of daisy-chaining them. In fact, a quick search of Warehouse.com shows a number of three-, four-, and six-port hubs for under $100.

------------------
--Roland W. Fox

--Roland
post #42 of 48 Old 10-12-2001, 02:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxbat:
Is there really a serious issue with having just one Firewire port on the back? I was under the impression that you can use a Firewire hub to connect devices together instead of daisy-chaining them. In fact, a quick search of Warehouse.com shows a number of three-, four-, and six-port hubs for under $100.

Eh, maybe I was making too much out of it--I haven't worked with the physical standard, and didn't know that there were hubs. Never mind.

-- Mike Scott

post #43 of 48 Old 10-14-2001, 05:17 PM

If I were to purchase the Japanese version of the DH30000, would it be possible to digitally record the SD channels off of either dish or directv? I have a Panny 51 box, but I can't figure out how to make the SD channels come out of it. Would I be better off trying to get hold of one of the directv mitsubishi boxes with the firewire out? Does anyone know if that would interface properly with the DH30000?

And no, I don't want to use Tivo because 1) I can't archive the materials because installing Tivonet is beyond my meager technical capabilities, 2) I can't find a Tivo with component out 3) these postings have already boggled my fragile little mind 4) my husband will throw me out if I buy anything with an instruction manual he can read :-).

I think that I will never see
A sight as lovely as HD
Now if my panny STB
Would just record DirecTV
post #44 of 48 Old 10-14-2001, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ooblick
If I were to purchase the Japanese version of the DH30000, would it be possible to digitally record the SD channels off of either dish or directv?
No. This applies for any of the new DVHS recorders.
If you have the Dish 5000 w/HD modulator you could record the SD versions of Dish progamming that has DD audio, like Showtime & HBO.

Quote:
I have a Panny 51 box, but I can't figure out how to make the SD channels come out of it. Would I be better off trying to get hold of one of the directv mitsubishi boxes with the firewire out?
The Mitsu DirecTV box does not have Firewire output, for that matter no DBS STB has 1394 output.

For standard digital recording off the DBS systems, you have a few choices.

Dish Network had a combination DVHS recorder/STB for standard programming, it was made by JVC and both companies sold it.

DirecTV's equipment partners Hughes, Hitachi & RCA all had a two box system for digital recording of standard programming. You used a STB with a DB-9 connector, which connected to a DVHS VCR.

All of this equipment is discontinued, but still available with a little work.

post #45 of 48 Old 10-14-2001, 06:56 PM

Thanks Ken. I really wish these guys didn't make it so difficult. I'll look for the Dish/DVHS JVC unit.

I think that I will never see
A sight as lovely as HD
Now if my panny STB
Would just record DirecTV
post #46 of 48 Old 10-14-2001, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here is a link to the JVC version:

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4000000

post #47 of 48 Old 10-15-2001, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

As an HM-DSR100U owner, I should tell you there are some things about the unit that might annoy some people. For whatever reason, Dish does not support a stacked switch with the DSR100. If you have a dish pointed to 61.5 or 148 and want it to work with the DSR100, you'll have to use the SW64. I was cheesed because I ordered a Twin LNBf Dish 500 with my 6000 so I could point at 61.5 with my existing Dish 300. When I asked Dish about it, they basically said it was a mature product.

So, depending on your dish situation, you may not be able to record everything you want.

My unit will occasionally record nothing in the D-VHS mode, maybe once every ten or twenty events. There is enough data on the tape to bring up program information, but no program.

It is, however, the only Dish receiver that I know of that you can "blank" out the video on music channels. I like to fall asleep to music, but it annoys me to have the text on the TV (really lights up the room!) With the DSR100 and a regular VHS tape loaded, you tune in the music channel, hit "play", press "rew" after playback begins, then hit stop (or wait until the tape rewinds to the beginning). The "feature" causes the DSR100 to put up the audio, but not the music info, just what I want.

--Roland
post #48 of 48 Old 10-17-2001, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

If you only want music not TV, just wire your receiver to a pair of powered speakers. No need to turn on the TV.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page