DCT6412 Hard Drive Upgrade? - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 438 Old 08-10-2013, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Although I know this is a relatively old thread but I followed the fantastic instructions and upgraded my DCT 6412 III to a 1 TB drive ! It's an old unit but still works great! It's a workhorse. In my case, this is on the COGECO cable network in Canada. My DVR runs S/W 78.55 - A28p0-5.1008.r-2, firmware 16.79.

Thanks to everyone before who spent time testing and providing their results... smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 438 Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre.goyette View Post

Although I know this is a relatively old thread but I followed the fantastic instructions and upgraded my DCT 6412 III to a 1 TB drive ! It's an old unit but still works great! It's a workhorse. In my case, this is on the COGECO cable network in Canada. My DVR runs S/W 78.55 - A28p0-5.1008.r-2, firmware 16.79.
Thanks to everyone before who spent time testing and providing their results... smile.gif
Cool! Thanks for letting us know that it works on COGECO.
post #423 of 438 Old 11-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked: 10
I wanted to update the thread.

I am a Cox customer in Orange County, California and wanted to upgrade my DCH3416. My goal was to replace a 160 Gig with a 1 TB WD10EADS drive (no jumper used). I followed TN0821's instructions in post number #201 and those instructions can be followed with the following exceptions. There is no more free version of Parted Magic, so I downloaded the paid version (still only $5 and change--well worth it). You will note from the screen shot from the new version of Parted Magic that you can use the Partition Editor to determine the names for your drive and thumb drive (as opposed to the method TN0821 used in post 201). Also, I attached a screen shot showing how to navigate to the command line which is different then TN0821's instructions. The rest of the instructions are the same except that the location of the MotoSTB_1TB.bz2 file is different--it is now located at

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w24nfo

The other issue that I ran into is with the command to copy the image to your hard drive which TN0821 gave as follows:

bzip2 –d –c –f /media/sdb1/MotoSTB_1TB.bz2 | dc3dd of=/dev/sda progress=on progresscount=500

When I gave that command I got this error:

dc3dd of=/dev/sda progress=on progresscount=500
[!!] unrecognized option progress=on

I then gave this command:

bzip2 –d –c –f /media/sdb1/MotoSTB_1TB.bz2 | dc3dd of=/dev/sda

It originally did not work, but when i rebooted it worked fine--perhaps there was some issue with giving the incorrect command first. But it did show the progress in terms of the sectors written and the Gigs copied and the seconds so perhaps the "progress" parameters are no longer necessary--not sure. However, I wanted to make sure anyone else who runs into the same problem with the new version of Parted Magic will be able to get through it.

But the best news is after the image was written (took about 4 hours on an older dual core machine), I popped the new drive into the DVR and IT WORKED! Not only do I now have 1TB of space (I noted after 14 hours of HD recordings it showed 12% full--before the upgrade it would be 70 or 80% full with 14 hours), but the DVR works much better as well (i.e., the fast forward, rewind, etc) as well as the commands in the search menu as an example.

Thank you very much to everyone who contributed, especially TN0821 for the instructions on this.

post #424 of 438 Old 11-27-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update cmulder!

I have edited my guide (post #201) to include your update (though I haven't bothered revising the downloadable PDF, peeps will just need to whip out their tablet or smartphone or print post #201). Thanks!
post #425 of 438 Old 12-15-2013, 09:03 AM

Thanks very much for your detailed guide on upgrading the HD in the DCT6416. 

I went through the procedure with the upgraded Parted Magic and formatted a Western Digital: WD5000AVDS-63U7B1, 500 Gb drive with the MotoSTB_1TB.bz2 image file and at the end of formatting it showed a drive capacity of about 465 Gb.  I then installed it in a DCT6416 phase 3 running Cogeco S/W Ver. 78.55-A28po-51008-r-2, and firmware ver. 26.43 .  After installation, the drive only showed as 320 GB, with a recording capacity of about 160 Gb.

I noticed an earlier poster was successful at Cogeco but with an earlier version of firmware, perhaps with the updated firmware they no longer permit upgrading?

post #426 of 438 Old 12-15-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslst View Post

Thanks very much for your detailed guide on upgrading the HD in the DCT6416. 

I went through the procedure with the upgraded Parted Magic and formatted a Western Digital: WD5000AVDS-63U7B1, 500 Gb drive with the MotoSTB_1TB.bz2 image file and at the end of formatting it showed a drive capacity of about 465 Gb.  I then installed it in a DCT6416 phase 3 running Cogeco S/W Ver. 78.55-A28po-51008-r-2, and firmware ver. 26.43 .  After installation, the drive only showed as 320 GB, with a recording capacity of about 160 Gb.

I think you will need a 1TB drive for this upgrade to work, different sizes or the wrong model of drive may not yield the desired results.
post #427 of 438 Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 AM

Thanks for the reply.  Guess I didn't read the whole thread, thought it would format up to, rather than only a 1 T drive.   I have 2 boxes so will have a go at trying the external drive format before I buy a 1 T drive.  Merry Christmas.

post #428 of 438 Old 12-16-2013, 04:02 AM

Get an error message, "The use of an external hard drive is not authorized on your account. Please remove the external drive."   Guess I should have read the entire thread, this has probably already been done before too.

post #429 of 438 Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Get an error message, "The use of an external hard drive is not authorized on your account. Please remove the external drive."   Guess I should have read the entire thread, this has probably already been done before too.

Yes, you will need to format a qualifying Western Digital 1TB drive in a PC, then install the drive inside your Motorola DCT-series DVR.
post #430 of 438 Old 12-19-2013, 04:52 AM

Finally went back and read the whole thread and realized how instrumental you were in making the process possible and how you got your "handle".  Thank you.

I'm now up to 3 DCT6416's from ebay and have 2 500 gb drives so have ordered a 500 gb formatted replacement drive from Palanghast Enterprises in Vancouver.  The plan is to just clone the 500gb drives.  Before reading the entire thread, I did an experiment last night cloning a DCT6416 formatted 160 gb onto a 500 gb WD  using Parted Magic.  It did not recognize the partition on the Moto 160 gb disk and refused to do the clone either as disk to disk or disk to image to disk.  Since reading the thread, 2 things stand out, first to write zeros to the disk to be formatted and secondly your reference to gforu which uses a bit to bit copy in cloning.

Thanks for your work, and also TN0821, in making the process possible.

Merry Christmas.

post #431 of 438 Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Finally went back and read the whole thread and realized how instrumental you were in making the process possible and how you got your "handle".  Thank you.

I'm now up to 3 DCT6416's from ebay and have 2 500 gb drives so have ordered a 500 gb formatted replacement drive from Palanghast Enterprises in Vancouver.  The plan is to just clone the 500gb drives.  Before reading the entire thread, I did an experiment last night cloning a DCT6416 formatted 160 gb onto a 500 gb WD  using Parted Magic.  It did not recognize the partition on the Moto 160 gb disk and refused to do the clone either as disk to disk or disk to image to disk.  Since reading the thread, 2 things stand out, first to write zeros to the disk to be formatted and secondly your reference to gforu which uses a bit to bit copy in cloning.

Thanks for your work, and also TN0821, in making the process possible.

Merry Christmas.

Writing zeros to the drive was only to prepare the original 1TB drive for the initial image that was formatted externally by my brother's DVR. Since I learned that the DVR formatting only took a few moments for a 1TB drive I assumed that most of the drive was left undisturbed. If the DVR only writes to a small portion of the drive then the 1TB drive image should therefore compress better with most of its contents being zeros (and boy did it ever!).

Also be aware that some cable companies are more reluctant than others to activate "unknown" DVRs on their system. I got both my DVRs from ebay and I am fortunate that my cable provider (Access Cable in Saskatchewan), are quite willing to activate DVRs purchased elsewhere so long as the DVR is a supported model. One of my DVRs had previously been on a Shaw Cable network so if I ever want to sell it I can advertise it with this in mind.
post #432 of 438 Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 PM

I treated a WD 1 TB drive as instructed in this thread and it has been working perfectly in my DVR for about a year. We rarely get over 40% percent full (even with 44 episodes of Duck Dynasty, 2 seasons of Girls (don't ask), and hours and hours of sports. I would like to upgrade to the X1 DVR with its 5 tuners but it only has a 500 GB drive, and that is just not enough storage. I realize the X2 will use cloud storage, but that may be a ways off. Has anyone tried a modified 1 TB drive in an X1?
post #433 of 438 Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Also be aware that some cable companies are more reluctant than others to activate "unknown" DVRs on their system. I got both my DVRs from ebay and I am fortunate that my cable provider (Access Cable in Saskatchewan), are quite willing to activate DVRs purchased elsewhere so long as the DVR is a supported model. One of my DVRs had previously been on a Shaw Cable network so if I ever want to sell it I can advertise it with this in mind.

All 3 of my units are installed and activated, Cogeco is not too bad about activating third party units. Depends on who you get, one guy charged me a $15 activation fee but I went along with that as that is only one month's rental.

Now that I know the process,  will pick up a 1 Tb drive when I go to Toronto next week and save the shipping charge.  May also start cloning the computer hard drives as backups as well.

post #434 of 438 Old 12-24-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander63 View Post

I treated a WD 1 TB drive as instructed in this thread and it has been working perfectly in my DVR for about a year. We rarely get over 40% percent full (even with 44 episodes of Duck Dynasty, 2 seasons of Girls (don't ask), and hours and hours of sports. I would like to upgrade to the X1 DVR with its 5 tuners but it only has a 500 GB drive, and that is just not enough storage. I realize the X2 will use cloud storage, but that may be a ways off. Has anyone tried a modified 1 TB drive in an X1?

I haven't tried to upgrade the hard drive of an X1 (I haven't seen an X1). I would assume that you could simply pop in a 1 TB hard drive and it would format it for you in the same way that the DCX units do. I would be a bit surprised if you could use any hard drive size larger than 1 TB...I would think they would limit the size for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the really big ones are slower and may not be as well suited for DVR use. And of course the content owners don't like the idea of near limitless end-user storage, so I'm guessing that factors in at least a little.

But anyways, I would highly encourage you to pop a 1 TB hard drive into the X1 and see if it automatically formats it (I'm fairly sure it will and it will format the whole 1 TB, not just 500 GB). If you happen to have a 2 TB drive, you could also give that a shot, though I'm very doubtful that the X1 will agree to format a drive larger than 1 TB.
post #435 of 438 Old 12-24-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I just realized that this thread is so narrowly named. With all the new holiday traffic reading this forum, it is probably a good idea for me to briefly mention what this thread is all about:

This thread is about how you can upgrade your Motorola DVR hard drive to 1 TB of recording space. Despite the thread's name, the instructions discussed here work for the following Motorola DVR models:
DCX3400, DCX3500, DCH3416, DCH3412, DCH6416, DCH6412, DCT6412 Phase III, DCT6416 Phase III (The Phase III is important for the DCT models because it denotes the hard drive is SATA instead of IDE)

Some of the above listed models of DVR have only a 120 GB hard drive, so being able to upgrade it to 1 TB is a huge boost that means you will rarely need to delete recordings.

There is a step-by-step guide for performing the upgrade here.

If you have no interest in performing the steps listed in the guide, and instead are merely interested in getting 1 TB of DVR recording space, you really should just purchase a pre-formatted 1 TB hard drive from the following website (the prices came down quite a bit shortly after this how-to guide was posted, so you're really not saving a lot of money doing it yourself unless you already happen to have a 1 TB hard drive sitting around):
http://hdtvsales.ca/Motorola-HD-PVR-Expander-and-Hard-Drives/

-TNO821
post #436 of 438 Old 12-31-2013, 06:30 AM

Thanks to your work and also to DCTNeo, I finally got a 1 TB Western Digital drive and formatted it using your procedure and it works fantastically.  Cogeco is running a free preview channel, Oasis, till 15 Jan so I plan to fill the drive with that before the free preview runs out.   The WD10EZRX runs at 6 gb/s and I tried to get a jumper from the techie at Tiger Direct but he assured me the drive would automatically revert to Sata 1 at 3 gb/s.  I didn't trust him and manged to get a jumper from my brother so it is jumpered pins 5-6.   If I had more time I might have experimented without the jumper, but it takes 4 hours to reprogram the guide each time I disconnect it.  Right now I have 5 hours of HD recorded and it is indicating 3% full so that indicates about 168 hours total capacity.

Thanks again for your and DCTNeo's work, have a Happy New Year.

post #437 of 438 Old 01-26-2014, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad it worked for you. And thanks for the info that the Western Digital WD10EZRX hard drive is working well in the DVR!

-TNO821
post #438 of 438 Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I have updated post #201 to reflect the new version of Parted Magic. All of the screenshots should be accurate now.

-TNO821

Last edited by TNO821; 06-24-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page