DCT6412 Hard Drive Upgrade? - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 478 Old 07-14-2015, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc1240 View Post
Great posts on this forum thread, I have been trying to format my 1tb hard drive but the parted magic doesn't see the MotoSTB_1TB.bz2 file

that is on the usb stick. tried many different things. is there a trick(rename file etc..)

I just copied the downloaded file from send space (682Mb) to a 1Gb usb drive. do I need to put file on as an image ? or just try a different computer ?

Is the file too small and I need other things on usb for parted magic to see file ?

please help thanks
Also the MotoSTB_1TB.bz2 file is saved as a 7 zip file do I need to unzip? or save as a rar file?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 478 Old 07-14-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Great posts on this forum thread, I have been trying to format my 1tb hard drive but the parted magic doesn't see the MotoSTB_1TB.bz2 file

that is on the usb stick. tried many different things. is there a trick(rename file etc..)

I just copied the downloaded file from send space (682Mb) to a 1Gb usb drive. do I need to put file on as an image ? or just try a different computer ?

Is the file too small and I need other things on usb for parted magic to see file ?

please help thanks

actually the file is 682 Kb is this too small as I get no such file or directory exists in parted magic
post #453 of 478 Old 07-14-2015, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
actually the file is 682 Kb is this too small as I get no such file or directory exists in parted magic
Back in post 282 I mentioned that "the Unix command line gave a file or folder not found error for MotoSTB_1TB.bz2 so I renamed the file something simpler and it worked." It drove me a bit nuts at the time as I carefully checked the name over and over and it wouldn't work but a simple rename worked immediately.
A63
post #454 of 478 Old 07-14-2015, 04:12 PM

k thanks Alexander63 I will try that now, I keep getting "no such directory or file exists" error when I hit enter after typing the command lines.

I will let you know how it goes.
post #455 of 478 Old 07-14-2015, 04:23 PM

just tried it with the rename of Motorola and it still doesn't work ? did you guys save the file as a rar file or winzip or 7zip ? this is frustrating

everything went great but I cannot open file using command lines.

thanks for any help.
post #456 of 478 Old 07-14-2015, 06:31 PM

ok I think it is working now, all I did was when parted magic was running I hit partition editor then when I saw both drives(1TB, and the USB) I got both the /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sda then I did this --

I hit then partition at the top of screen then mount then mount dev/sdb1 this"mounted the USB drive" this put a lock symbol beside the USB /dev/sdb in the list.

Then I ran the ROXterm program and typed in the usual
bzip2 –d –c –f /media/sdb1/MotoSTB_1TB.bz2 | dc3dd of=/dev/sda

command and it started counting hope in a few hours it will work.

thanks for the suggestions will follow up if/when I am finished.

Last edited by johnnyc1240; 07-15-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: ommission
post #457 of 478 Old 07-14-2015, 09:32 PM

Finally, got it working took 2.5 hrs to format and then put it in cogeco 6416 III and it sees 1000Gb

thanks to TNO821 and NCTneo and A63 for all your help.

I could not of done it at all without the guide from TNO821

Cogeco S/W Ver. 78.55-A28po-51008-r-2, and firmware ver. 26.43

thanks all

Last edited by johnnyc1240; 07-14-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: ommission
post #458 of 478 Old 07-18-2015, 07:20 PM

"I just upgraded the hard drive on my old Motorola DCT 3416 to 1TB and decided to make a guide for it to make the process easier for others looking to do the same."

cargo1: Thanks for those great instructions!

Would you know whether they can be used for a Motorola DCT6416 as well? I assume that the Sata port at the back of the DCT6416 requires an eSata cable end also?

post #459 of 478 Old 07-20-2015, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac7 View Post
"I just upgraded the hard drive on my old Motorola DCT 3416 to 1TB and decided to make a guide for it to make the process easier for others looking to do the same."

Would you know whether they can be used for a Motorola DCT6416 as well? I assume that the Sata port at the back of the DCT6416 requires an eSata cable end also?

Yes, it works for a bunch of different Motorola DVR's. DCH or DCT 6412, 6416, 3412, and 3416, as well as the DCX3400 and more. But you can't use the eSATA on the back of the unit. It only works by replacing the internal SATA hard drive.
post #460 of 478 Old 07-20-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post
Yes, it works for a bunch of different Motorola DVR's. DCH or DCT 6412, 6416, 3412, and 3416, as well as the DCX3400 and more. But you can't use the eSATA on the back of the unit. It only works by replacing the internal SATA hard drive.
I'm with Cogeco, and I know their firmware of the DCT6416 doesn't allow for hooking up an external eSATA drive, but I wanted to use it to format a HDD larger than 160 GB, if that is possible. I tried to format larger drives inside the DCT years ago, but they were all limited to 160 GB.
After coming across that post by cargo1, it sounded that formatting a larger HDD via that eSATA port might get around that limitation. All I needed to do then is buy a SATE -> eSATA cable, provided that method does work.

post #461 of 478 Old 07-20-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd say finding a cable company and firmware version that allows for formatting a 1TB hard drive via eSATA is not very likely.

You'd be better off just following the directions in the guide in post #201. It's not that difficult and only takes an evening.

Last edited by TNO821; 07-21-2015 at 04:19 AM.
post #462 of 478 Old 07-21-2015, 05:11 AM

hey Tac 7, I think that it work for a 6416 on Shaw firmware, but I don't think so on Cogeco firmware.

If you follow the instructions on post #201 as TNO821 says, it should work fine, as mine did, I just had to do a couple of extra steps to get the

program to recognize the usb, (see my previous posts), takes about 4hrs to do it all.
post #463 of 478 Old 07-21-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
...You'd be better off just following the directions in the guide in post #201.
Quote:
If you follow the instructions on post #201 as TNO821 says, it should work fine...
Thanks all, will do.
post #464 of 478 Old 08-23-2015, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac7 View Post

hi Tac7.

You're welcome!

The Esata port on the DCT6416 and DCT3416 is active if you are using Shaw Canada.

It became available with Motorola's firmware version 16.76 update:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to...tware#DCT-34xx

-----------------------------
Version 16.76

Available for Models: DCT HD series
Available Date: November 2010 Cable One
Build Date: March 26 2010 16:14:56
New Features: Capability to support external DVR hard-drive via the external eSata interface port
-----------------------------

I dont know for Cogeco though.

Not sure if they disabled the ports and/or firmware updates for your box.

You can check to see what your firmware version is in the Diagnostic Menu. The instructions to get there are on my diagram in Step 2. You can also check port status there too.

Last edited by cargo1; 08-23-2015 at 10:26 PM.
post #465 of 478 Old 09-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
finally got my hands on a extra box to try this out on. this is an amazing post better than some blogs i have been reading.
tn0821 thanks very much for the detailed guide and posts.
i'll be working on a Motorola 3416... wish me luck
post #466 of 478 Old 09-08-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Stauffer View Post
finally got my hands on a extra box to try this out on. this is an amazing post better than some blogs i have been reading.
tn0821 thanks very much for the detailed guide and posts.
i'll be working on a Motorola 3416... wish me luck
Cool. I hope it works out for you. If you get stuck, just give us as much info as you can and we'll do our best to help you out.
post #467 of 478 Old 09-09-2015, 05:42 AM

bit

Thanks.
This might sound like a stupid question.
I read in post 201 that you might need the bit to get past the lid.
Been at it for a few hours now with a needle nose and all i managed to do so far is round out one of the screws. the dam thing won't budge. its getting really frustrating real quick.
once i get this one going, im planning to do a few more - for interested friends of mine. this is really a test to see if i can do it or not. because you have two links posted in 201 which bit is really the better one to buy and why? price isn't a concern since i'll be (probably) using it more than once. and i need it to last over the long haul. i don't want to be going back and forth with buying them over and over again.
post #468 of 478 Old 09-10-2015, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.
This might sound like a stupid question.
I read in post 201 that you might need the bit to get past the lid.
Been at it for a few hours now with a needle nose and all i managed to do so far is round out one of the screws. the dam thing won't budge. its getting really frustrating real quick.
once i get this one going, im planning to do a few more - for interested friends of mine. this is really a test to see if i can do it or not. because you have two links posted in 201 which bit is really the better one to buy and why? price isn't a concern since i'll be (probably) using it more than once. and i need it to last over the long haul. i don't want to be going back and forth with buying them over and over again.
I've only done it a couple of times, so I can't really speak to the long-term quality of the bit. I guess you'll just need to read reviews on those sites from people who have bought them. I got mine from newelectronx (I wasn't even aware that Amazon had it at that time) and it has worked fine, but I've only used it twice. If you plan to do this a lot, it would probably be a good idea to buy more than one.
post #469 of 478 Old 09-10-2015, 08:27 AM

Hi,

Is there a way to follow this post's method to upgrade to a 500GB hard drive in a DCH-3416? All the notes I see refer to a file with '1TB' right in the name so I was wondering if there is a 500GB option? I apologize if the question exists already, I didn't have time to read through all of the pages and replies.

Thanks!
post #470 of 478 Old 09-10-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong2004 View Post
Hi,
Is there a way to follow this post's method to upgrade to a 500GB hard drive in a DCH-3416? All the notes I see refer to a file with '1TB' right in the name so I was wondering if there is a 500GB option? I apologize if the question exists already, I didn't have time to read through all of the pages and replies.
No, it really has to be a 1 TB hard drive (a slightly bigger drive, such as 1.5 TB may also work. and I would guess that 2 TB or bigger would not be recognized at all by the cable box)

The original image capture was performed on a 1 TB hard drive. Because the cable box uses such a non-standard file system (a modified flavor of IBM GPFS), it is not possible to resize it to work on drives smaller than 1 TB. I believe there has been at least one report of a 1.5 TB hard drive being successfully used, but the partitions are still sized for 1 TB, so there's a lot of wasted hard drive space in that scenario.

We have had people attempt and fail to place the image on smaller hard drives. I myself tried to place it on a 750 GB hard drive with no success.
post #471 of 478 Old 09-14-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
No, it really has to be a 1 TB hard drive (a slightly bigger drive, such as 1.5 TB may also work. and I would guess that 2 TB or bigger would not be recognized at all by the cable box)

The original image capture was performed on a 1 TB hard drive. Because the cable box uses such a non-standard file system (a modified flavor of IBM GPFS), it is not possible to resize it to work on drives smaller than 1 TB. I believe there has been at least one report of a 1.5 TB hard drive being successfully used, but the partitions are still sized for 1 TB, so there's a lot of wasted hard drive space in that scenario.

We have had people attempt and fail to place the image on smaller hard drives. I myself tried to place it on a 750 GB hard drive with no success.
Thanks for the response! Now I know exactly what I need to purchase.
post #472 of 478 Old 09-15-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I've only done it a couple of times, so I can't really speak to the long-term quality of the bit. I guess you'll just need to read reviews on those sites from people who have bought them. I got mine from newelectronx (I wasn't even aware that Amazon had it at that time) and it has worked fine, but I've only used it twice. If you plan to do this a lot, it would probably be a good idea to buy more than one.
your in depth knowledge is amazing for only having to do this a couple of times. i was impressed after reading much of your information in this thread, now i am just blown away. impressive! the amount of knowledge you gained.
i'll take a look at newelectronx and amazon to see what i can get.
doing more than 1 motorola - i am thinking about it. just thinking about it. its not confirmed until i can successfully open and accomplish this dct3416. currently it'll do about 25 hours of hd recording. i need to push past that capacity, because i can't live with 120 hours of sd recordings. simply horrible.
accrording to this thread, i should be able to use both tuners in 1080i with a higher capacity hard drive. i've been seeing WD throughout the thread, but there are mixed reviews on exactly which to use. which would you recommend for this dct3416. please forgive me if i missed the post where this was already answered. i am deligently reading so that i don't have to post blindly with things that have already been answered.
post #473 of 478 Old 09-15-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
your in depth knowledge is amazing for only having to do this a couple of times.
Thanks, but I should clarify: I went through most of the steps in post number 201 many, many times. But once I opened my DVR, I never put those wacky screws back in (well I did once, when I needed to exchange the DVR for a different model, but you get the idea). So I think, in total, I have only used that screwdriver bit twice to open up two DVR's. My friends and family largely either don't have cable or don't care enough to want me messing around with their DVR, so my screwdriver bit hasn't seen much use. And here's a fun fact: My current DVR has never been opened. I decided that I really would prefer not having that much DVR recording space. Having only 160 GB keeps me on my toes so I don't have too much queued up junk to watch and makes me more selective about what I bother recording in the first place.

Quote:
accrording to this thread, i should be able to use both tuners in 1080i with a higher capacity hard drive. i've been seeing WD throughout the thread, but there are mixed reviews on exactly which to use. which would you recommend for this dct3416.
1080i HD recording on two tuners does not consume a lot of disk I/O...so the speed of the drive is irrelevant. The big thing is that these Motorola DVR's cannot handle the 6Gb/s setting. All those 6Gb/s hard drives that I've seen have a jumper that can be set to disable the 6Gb/s mode (putting it into 3Gb/s mode, which is what the DVR needs) so that shouldn't be a problem. Does the hard drive need to be a Western Digital? No, but that appears to be the brand most people reporting in this thread have used. And I just did a quick check at Amazon and I see the Western Digital WD10EZEX for about $53, which seems like a good deal to me. You could certainly try something else, but if it's a difference of only a couple of dollars I know that I wouldn't tempt fate. If you look at some of the posts shortly after number 201, you'll see various people report on which hard drive models they've gotten to work.

I suppose one thing to consider is how quiet you require the hard drive to be. The hard drive companies do manufacture drives that are advertised for use in DVR's. Their key differences vs. other hard drives are that they are more quiet and their hard drive heads have special logic designed to extend the life of the drive (I'm not 100% clear on exactly what that means, but I'm guessing it changes how often the hard drive heads decide to park themselves in order to minimize wear and tear, etc.).

Last edited by TNO821; 09-15-2015 at 03:05 PM.
post #474 of 478 Old 09-15-2015, 05:53 PM

that punch line is hollarious. i have to reiterrate it, just to make sure i heard you correctly. you've never opened your own cable box. wow, talk about irony. that one stole the show for me....

my family and friends are the direct opposite. they think i can fix anything electronic; and they always anticipate me doing favors for the luxury of their convenience. so, i'd say you got it good - very good.

you can say that again, those screws suck! do you by chance have a membership with newelectronx? i read some where that if you have one of these memberships, all the members from your forum get a discount of some sort. please tell me - you do?! and since i'm a member here now, may i please be privy to the promotional codes that you guys use to order from there... thanks in advance.... BIGGEST SMILE EVER....

that's excellent information - spot on! about the drives. i have some spare hard drives around here, that i would rather use (myself). if i have to, i can buy hard drives on the cheap - but availability is scarse. so i'll try to use what i have here and go with the recommendation that you gave for amazon. btw, thanks for that. $53 doesn't sound bad.

at the moment, i can't be tooooo picky about sound quality and whatnot. i'm aiming for things to workout. once i get this dialed in, i'll start being picky with sound quality and such. all this good information isn't going unnoticed tho. thanks, really BIG thanks.

i'm off to do some more homework - that reading that you mentioned to see after post 201 - is where i am heading. i'm sure i read it, but since you brought it back up - it is important that i view it again. cheers!
post #475 of 478 Old 09-17-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
that punch line is hollarious. i have to reiterrate it, just to make sure i heard you correctly. you've never opened your own cable box. wow, talk about irony. that one stole the show for me....
Yes, you heard right This endeavor was more of a challenge to see if we could figure it out. There was enough evidence (the fact that a website was selling 1 TB hard drives configured to work with Motorola DVR's, a couple of cryptic forum postings on some other site, etc.) to suggest that there was a method to get a hard drive larger than 160 GB to work in Motorola DVR's. So a bunch of folks started tossing out ideas and one of them worked! The rest was just the work required to make it easier for folks to perform the steps.

Quote:
my family and friends are the direct opposite. they think i can fix anything electronic; and they always anticipate me doing favors for the luxury of their convenience. so, i'd say you got it good - very good.
When it comes to traditional computers\laptops, I have a number of friends who are more than happy to have me lend a hand. But with these DVR's, no so much (most of my friends don't have a DVR...they're all using Netflix/Hulu/YouTube, etc.)

Quote:
you can say that again, those screws suck! do you by chance have a membership with newelectronx? i read some where that if you have one of these memberships, all the members from your forum get a discount of some sort. please tell me - you do?! and since i'm a member here now, may i please be privy to the promotional codes that you guys use to order from there... thanks in advance.... BIGGEST SMILE EVER....
No. I've only ever used them once to order the anti-tamper tabs and screwdriver bit...and that was years ago.

Quote:
at the moment, i can't be tooooo picky about sound quality and whatnot. i'm aiming for things to workout. once i get this dialed in, i'll start being picky with sound quality and such. all this good information isn't going unnoticed tho. thanks, really BIG thanks.
Yeah, in my tests I tried a few different hard drive models and none of them were noisy. Somebody brought up a concern that if you use one of the "advanced format" drives (they use 4k sectors instead of 512 byte sectors), it will cause the drive to perform more seeking and therefore will be noisier. I tried one and didn't notice any noise, so maybe it's not a big deal. Or maybe my hearing sucks
post #476 of 478 Old 09-19-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, you heard right This endeavor was more of a challenge to see if we could figure it out. There was enough evidence (the fact that a website was selling 1 TB hard drives configured to work with Motorola DVR's, a couple of cryptic forum postings on some other site, etc.) to suggest that there was a method to get a hard drive larger than 160 GB to work in Motorola DVR's. So a bunch of folks started tossing out ideas and one of them worked! The rest was just the work required to make it easier for folks to perform the steps.

When it comes to traditional computers\laptops, I have a number of friends who are more than happy to have me lend a hand. But with these DVR's, no so much (most of my friends don't have a DVR...they're all using Netflix/Hulu/YouTube, etc.)

No. I've only ever used them once to order the anti-tamper tabs and screwdriver bit...and that was years ago.

Yeah, in my tests I tried a few different hard drive models and none of them were noisy. Somebody brought up a concern that if you use one of the "advanced format" drives (they use 4k sectors instead of 512 byte sectors), it will cause the drive to perform more seeking and therefore will be noisier. I tried one and didn't notice any noise, so maybe it's not a big deal. Or maybe my hearing sucks
yeah, my situation is quite similar. i'm in the same boat. i don't really use streaming tv that much anymore. this is all being done as a test pilot for you guessed it.... friends/family. just a challenge i suppose, to see if i can or can't get it done.
i'm lucky that you've done all the hard work for us. so the learning curve, as you eloquently put it, is not so high now and all the information is centralized in one place. i would have to admit, i am a happy computer geek as well.
post #477 of 478 Old 01-03-2016, 02:01 PM

Link Dead

Could anyone upload "MotoSTB_1TB.bz2"

The links appear to be dead again.

Thanks
post #478 of 478 Old 01-22-2016, 07:17 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, in fact I am also new to the world of PVR... I just bought my first PVR and it is used, it is a Motorola DCT6416-III (software: 78.55 - firmware: 26.43). It works great

I am a subscriber of COGECO (Quebec).

I have read many of your threads (and those of other sites) to learn more about my device.

I want to replace the internal hard disk drive of the appliance by a bigger one.

If I understood correctly, with COGECO it will not be possible to format a disc by eSATA (inactivated) on my Motorola. The only option I have is to format a 1TB disk on a PC as described in the post # 201 from "TNO821" and then install it as an internal drive.

I have several questions:

Q1- The disk image "MotoSTB_1TB.bz2" now seems to be unavailable, sendspace.com does not seem to keep it for long... if one of you has it, would it be possible to make it available again ? Even better... long term...

Q2- I worry about the version "Parted Magic 2013.08.01" which is recommended, a short Google search led me to this alert published by its author shortly after its release:
"WARNING! A few websites on the internet are offering a file called Expired pmagic_2013_08_01.iso for free download. This version of USB Was released with a very destructive corruption bug in the Linux kernel. We removed this file from our official mirrors to minimize the damage and Quickly released Version 2013_08_10 to replace it. The 2013_08_01 release aussi included a bug in the OLD Secure Erase GUI That Would allow a user to erase an ATA disk through a USB interface. In Some boxes It Would brig the expensive USB device. The OLD GUI Would aussi set the secure erase password to NULL by default and using the disk was Lenovo BIOS is not feasible Because a password can not be Entered. Version 2013_11_11 Does not contenir thesis flaws and is completely Call safe to use. Sorry for Any inconvenience or loss Suffered by using this unofficial / unsupported FREE pmagic_2013_08_01.iso. You have been warned. "

Could we not use another free tool rather, less dangerous, as perhaps directly... Clonezilla?

Q3- I hesitate between two discs of 1 TB as the best purchasing choice for PVR:

Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400 RPM WD10EZRZ and Western Digital AV-GP 1TB WD10EURX

Both are the same price at the site Newegg.ca.

Blue - WD10EZRZ spins at 5400 which should allow it to be more durable than 7200 (it has a 2 year warranty), but will it be fast enough to all the video work of the DCT6416-III?

AV-GP - WD10EURX has a 3-year warranty but is it really better and more resistant with a PVR?

What is currently the best choice for a 1 TB hard drive in a PVR?

Thank you in advance for your answers, I arrived late in PVR universe but it is no less interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders