post #151 of 155 Old 04-25-2006, 11:42 AM
usv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchee3
I have heard that when "copy once" 5c flagged material is recorded to a DVR, it evidently does not "count" the DVR recording as the "copy once," as some people have been able to copy DVR content to a DVHS and then were not able to make copies of that DVHS. This leads me to believe that it's not the setup of your boxes, but perhaps one is not 5c compliant, and the cable company has ALL content flagged "copy never." If this was the case, the non 5c compliant box would allow you to copy to your heart's content, and the 5c enabled DVR would allow you to copy nothing. Are you able to re-copy your dubbed DVHS's that you recorded off the non-DVR STB? If so, then they are "copy freely" 5c flagged. If they will not allow you to make another copy of the DVHS off of the original DVHS, then they are flagged "copy once."
Comcast regards their 6412 DVR recording of all programs as "Copy Once". Only "Pay per View" is set at "Copy Never". The problem is the 6412 stb records everything that is transmitted through the IEEE1394 port, and can't be copied to anything afterward. You can still copy to DVHS all programs that are "Copy Freely".

If Comcast would allow consumers to purchase their own 6412's from Canada and elsewhere, we could reroute the IEEE1394 port directly to the stb's tuner, by passing the hard drive. IMO this would not violate any copy protection schemes, because the resulting DVHS copy could still not be re-copied.

There was a law that allowed consumers to use their own equipment to recieve cable signals, as long as the equipment met the cable companies standards. Evidently the law has been changed, or Comcast has figured a way around it.

I haven't seen any mention in these threads of Comcast customers being able to record Premium channels to DVHS with their 6412 dvr. Many state that they "should be able to record to DVHS", but evidently none have been succesful when they actually tried to record these programs.

If anyone has been succesful, we would all appreciate learning how they accomplished this, as this would make DVHS recorders a viable entity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 155 Old 04-25-2006, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

You should be able to successfully record a 'live' program to D-VHS even if the program is marked copy-once.

Once its on DVR hdd that might be another story, but i've read conflicting comments here with some people saying copy on DVR hdd is a "digital copy" as far as 5c is concerned, making it copy never for copy once programs (and thus not transferring to d-vhs), while others say it does not matter, and copy-once programs can be recorded to DVR and then later dubbed to D-VHS.
post #153 of 155 Old 04-26-2006, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by usv
Comcast regards their 6412 DVR recording of all programs as "Copy Once". Only "Pay per View" is set at "Copy Never". The problem is the 6412 stb records everything that is transmitted through the IEEE1394 port, and can't be copied to anything afterward. You can still copy to DVHS all programs that are "Copy Freely".

I haven't seen any mention in these threads of Comcast customers being able to record Premium channels to DVHS with their 6412 dvr. Many state that they "should be able to record to DVHS", but evidently none have been succesful when they actually tried to record these programs.

If anyone has been succesful, we would all appreciate learning how they accomplished this, as this would make DVHS recorders a viable entity.
I'm not with Comcast, but on my cable system, I can record HBOHD to my 6412 and then to my DVHS without any problems.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #154 of 155 Old 04-27-2006, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usv

If Comcast would allow consumers to purchase their own 6412's from Canada and elsewhere, we could reroute the IEEE1394 port directly to the stb's tuner, by passing the hard drive. IMO this would not violate any copy protection schemes, because the resulting DVHS copy could still not be re-copied.

There was a law that allowed consumers to use their own equipment to recieve cable signals, as long as the equipment met the cable companies standards. Evidently the law has been changed, or Comcast has figured a way around it.

I'm on Comcast, 6412 model II. I have over 70 HD movies recorded originally to the DVR, then dumped to tape via a JVC 5U. These are from premium channels such as HBO-HD. And yes, I can make as many copies as I want from the DVR. However, since they each take two hours (or whatever the length of the movie) to make, I'm afraid it does not make for a very practical get rich quick scheme. Say I sell a copy for $10 on ebay. Tape costs $7, so that nets me $1.50/hour! Not including time & materials on advertising and delivering the product. I'd be a lot further ahead flipping burgers.

The only reason you might have an issue in your area copying this way is if the 5C flags aren't set correctly.
post #155 of 155 Old 04-28-2006, 03:52 PM

My experience is similar to theGreatWent's -- I've recorded more than a hundred hours of HD material from all my HD channels (including premium channels) from recordings on my Phase 2 Comcast 6412 over firewire to my JVC-HM5U in the past 15 months. I can record multiple-copies of "copy once" material from my DVR to D-VHS if I want to (which I don't do), though I assume I can't record FROM the D-VHS copies I've made of "copy once" material if the 5c "copy once" flag works as intended. it took me about a week to learn about the quirks in both units and make sure the firewire handshake is always obtained, and there are the odd dropouts on my recordings even though I do try to keep the heads clean. but despite its quirks and non-user friendliness, I love having the ability to record HD shows onto a non-hard drive medium for archiving, and D-VHS allows me to do this relatively affordably.

Comcast (Berkeley, CA)
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page