8300HD and External SATA - It Works!! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 9018 Old 06-06-2005, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Other than local network channels which should be sent in the clear, most other HD stations are/will be protecting their content and you won't be able to record onto a PC or MAC. This is the 5C copy protection you might have heard about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 9018 Old 06-06-2005, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
That is very true. HBO-HD here in Phoenix is the only one so far, but there will be more as time goes on and they complete the conversion to simulcast digital counterparts to the analogs sometime this summer. I'm glad I'm not into long-term archiving, it can get expensive and then pretty much be shut off on a whim.

Cheers, Dave
post #273 of 9018 Old 06-06-2005, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another Success story on my 8300HD:

The equipment bought:

BYTECC 3.5" USB+SATA External Enclosure - NewEgg $39.99

SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - NewEgg $80.00 + $5.99 shipping for both.

MC78EX-AB - 2 meter Shielded External SATA w/ Type A to Type B (eSATA) - MacGurus - $23.95 + $6.12 shipping

Total cost to double up my 8300HD memory: $156.05

Don't know the version code, didn't really care, just know it works great and my wife is pleased. If it hadn't worked it would have made a great PC backup. My location is Oklahoma City with Cox Cable.

Wow, the Bytecc case really is a bright blue flashlight as someone had mentioned before and that's no understatement. A small piece of electrical tape does the diffusion trick well but I'm still assured it's working.

The case gets somewhat warm but shouldn't be a problem, and no noise to speak of while it sits silently behind my cable box.

I wanted to thank Dmilani, and everyone else on this forum, for enlightening me, and everyone who reads about this. The knowledge to improve upon the 8300HD and it's smallish stock memory has turned into a great upgrade at a very reasonable price. I just had to register and say thanks folks, very much.
post #274 of 9018 Old 06-07-2005, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILANI View Post

Other than local network channels which should be sent in the clear, most other HD stations are/will be protecting their content and you won't be able to record onto a PC or MAC. This is the 5C copy protection you might have heard about.

hi folks

dimmilani...i was thinking that the set ups that i have seen online that use the sa3250hd to a g5 dual mac,,was done in the analog realm, hense i dont think that the encyption would be a problem...right now on the mechine one which i am typing , is connected to the analog out of the sah8300hd, and it is conneted to a pinnacle tvtv card..which is the cleanest card that i have had out of maybe 2 dousen card that i had tried ..there are also 2 other hauppage cards...but that is beside the point becasuse for some reason i am getting alot of junk on those two..but the way things are set up right now with dscaler it works pretty good...abd i can capture and archive...that way i am not connected to the hips to the sa8300hd that i have right now for archiving my shows and stuff..

i agree with doubledaz..for a cable company rental box it is spendid!..yeah it has a few flows...like i will kick you out of the show once the recorning is done regarless of what you want...which anoys me to hell!!! but regardless..it is a nice box...but i am a tinkerer and i need some new set up ideas!

does anyone have any system or know of such a set up so i can learn a little more about how to do it right the firt attempt,please let me know...

as far as hd and non digital, i guess it all depends on how it is captured and on what hardware, for the time being all digital realm recording is to eexpenmssive...and pluse most of teh channels are broadcasted in 480i..also at some point most of these shows...specially teh older oneswere film to analog recording and put on the acables so called digital system kind of a set up...so hd or no hd..unless it is done all in the digital realm it doesnt really matter...we are not talking hard dvd type playback.,.but capuuring adn seeing shows in the cable box..coming out of the telecos "feed"...i dont know about you guys but i dont buy techological terms at face value...specially some of the shows i wanna archive were shot 30 plus years ago...like the series combat on the action channel... so i dont think having a hd feed is gonna helpo in anyway in teh capture of some of the material...
plus with my recent setup that uses dscaler i can also process the analog picture with fdshow...which is an amasing piece of software and most of all it is freeware....

anyhow hope i didnt ramble toolong and the idea of the forum is to share whoughts and info to get some of our own projects and ideas goinng/flying...right???

thanks

Martin
post #275 of 9018 Old 06-07-2005, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I was not thinking you wanted to record down converted video. Most people on this forum are only interested in recording HD video in its native format.

Also, recording from the 3250HD via firewire in HD doesn't have to be expensive. I have a JVC 30K D-VHS recorder, and it works great as an archival device. You can get these pretty cheap today.
post #276 of 9018 Old 06-07-2005, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILANI View Post

Ok, I was not thinking you wanted to record down converted video. Most people on this forum are only interested in recording HD video in its native format.

Also, recording from the 3250HD via firewire in HD doesn't have to be expensive. I have a JVC 30K D-VHS recorder, and it works great as an archival device. You can get these pretty cheap today.

thanks for replying...i was just talking about what conclusions i came with with all this hd "concepts"..didint mean to sound harsh...and excuse me if i did...
i would really be interested in the project you mentioned with the d-vcr..i also looked into that...but it would take longer to convert and captuer and stuff...could you tell me how you had yours set up?

thanks

Martin
post #277 of 9018 Old 06-07-2005, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's simple. Connect the 3250HD via firewire cable to the 30K D-VHS. I use the IR blaster from my cable company to tune to the proper channel and record unattended.

-D
post #278 of 9018 Old 06-07-2005, 06:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by fultonmartin View Post

I bought the $34 external SATA enclosure from newegg.com (Item=N82E16817155903) and a 300 GByte Seagate Barracuda SATA drive (Item=N82E16822148064), plus the 221303D cable from Cruz Systems.

I placed my order late last night, for the EP-301SA enclosure and Seagate ST3400832AS 400gb drive from Newegg, and the 221303D Comax cable from Cruz. All should arrive in a few days and I hope to have success with SA8300HD from Charter, in Topanga CA.

Incidentally, the price for the cable has increased from the $12.50 shown when this thread first started, to a current value of $18.50.

Also, in retrospect I could have saved CA sales tax on the $302+$3+$24 Seagate drive price by buying it from YesMICRO.com for $295+$7 instead of Newegg. A bit less on price for the drive, a bit more for shipping, and not in CA so no sales tax. I had originally decided to get both from Newegg for convenience, but naturally right after placing my order had second thoughts.

By the time I called Newegg first thing this morning to cancel the drive they said the two items had already been packed, scanned, shipped and my credit card charged, which I found amazing at 8:30AM. They told me I could just refuse delivery when it arrived, if I wanted to. They would refund my money and I could then reorder the enclosure.

I think I'll just let it go. I can't wait for the capacity-expanding hardware to arrive, so who really cares about the extra $27 now.

Let's hope there's no problem with the Charter SA8300HD SATA port.
post #279 of 9018 Old 06-09-2005, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Owenrutz,

I don't understand your statement:
Quote:

I am not allowed to have URLs in my posts

I think the following document (presentation at CES) is what you wanted to show:

http://www.sata-io.org/docs/SATA-IO%...orum_Final.pdf

Pages 16 thru 20 of the PDF relate to the 8300 (though they clearly have an error in saying it is a SA9300).

I think that the confusion comes from the SATA II committee defining the new connector (with no name). According to the SAATA web site that committee changed names to SATA-IO and coined the name "eSATA" in January. Hence, people like CRUZ who had product available earlier adopted the SATA II nomenclature.

There should be no confusion re obtaining the correct cables if one simply goes back to the beginning of this thread.

Dave Hancock
post #280 of 9018 Old 06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Does anyone know if this capability has been extended to the Passport software on any cable system anywhere? We have Passport here in Charlotte and I'm just sick of you SARA folks being able to get more 8300 storage while we Passporters continue to suffer.
post #281 of 9018 Old 06-09-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Does anyone know if this capability has been extended to the Passport software on any cable system anywhere?

Not that I've heard of anywhere. Definitely not here in Orlando, FL.
post #282 of 9018 Old 06-09-2005, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I think that the reason that only SARA has the capability is that SARA was developed by Scientific Atlanta and they simply included the functionality as part of the product. Passport is developed by someone else and is probably paid for by the cable companies that need to use it. The external drive feature would have to be something that the cable companies want to pay for. So far, the cable companies seem to be cool to this idea (many of them don't even know that the capability is there). Part of their apathy is likely due to the lack of commercially available drives. So, until this catches on in a big way in the SARA universe, Passport systems are likely to be stuck with 160GB.

Dave Hancock
post #283 of 9018 Old 06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

"Passport Echo" is developed by Pioneer:
http://www.pioneerdigital.com/

For Passport users waiting / wanting SATA ... has anyone compared the earliest PTVOS (PowerTV OS) that supported SATA to the latest PTVOS version on Passport boxes? SARA and Passport both run on top of PowerTV ... so ... perhaps it's an issue of OS support (instead of Resident App support) and perhaps it will come if/when Passport upgrades to a newer OS. I would expect the PTVOS Passport uses to lag a little behind what SARA uses because ... well ... that's just the way these things typically work.

Anway ... just a ray of hope for Passport users.

Otherwise ... I wouldn't hold my breath.

Personally I think that SATA on the 8300s came about more via a deal between Scientific Atlanta and Silicon Image rather than any burning need/desire to support external drives on Scientific Atlanta's part. Yes ... external drives are cool. But, 1) SciAtl spends lots of $$$ on Silicon Image chips every year. 2) Silicon Image has a nice collection of SATA IP (licenseable patents) and this has given them something new to talk to stock analysts about and a proven model to point other manufacturers too. A little you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours ...
post #284 of 9018 Old 06-10-2005, 03:13 PM

My cable provider is Beaumont, Texas Time Warner - My 8300HD software is SARA 1.87.4.3

When I go to Diags and get to the Hard drive page it shows for DEVICE 2, UNAVAILABLE for all enties.

The local tech rep said that SA had disabled the SATA feature on all their 8300 boxes. I don't know if this is true. Id appreciate it if someone running SARA in an area where folks have successfully added a SATA external drive, would look to see if the diags show a different result for DEVICE 2. If so, then I'll believe the technician. If not, I'll still not know.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
post #285 of 9018 Old 06-10-2005, 03:30 PM

Hi folks,
Got our box upgraded today using the stuff that folks have been posting about and so far it works great!

Details... SA 8300HD running Sara 1.87.16.1 on Adelphia in North Royalton, OH

External SATA enclosure from newegg (Item#N82E16817155903)

300 GByte Seagate Barracuda SATA drive (Item#N82E16822148064) (also Newegg)

Cruz's Esata to sata cable (221303D)

Plug it in, reboot the box, follow the prompt to format and you're there! The gold external box from Newegg works great, is very quiet, and so far seems to run pretty cool with no noticable fan noise. Some of the folks mentioned having to carve on the plugs for the cable to get some of the other cases to accept the cable plug (ack!), on this case the Cruz cable fits perfectly.

New Question..

Has anybody seen the network functions turned on yet that allow you to record programs on one box and display it via a seperate box? The software looks to be capable, and the SA docs describe it working, sounds like it would very cool especially in light of having the expanded hard drive capacity. You would then be able to display recorded programming on up to 4 seperate boxes, and see the stuff in your box on any of the other 4 sets, the capability is there, just need to get Adelphia to turn it on! (or figure out a way to turn on ourselves)

The firmware also talks about being ethernet capable and even lists a place for an IP address via dhcp, but there's no ethernet port on my box...so I'm not sure how you'd get that to work. The box also gets an IP address via the RF network (also assigned via some sort of DHCP) and in theory you *should* be able to get to the box configuration via a web browser or telnet, but I haven't figured out the details for that either (yet!).

Thanks to all for doing the research to make this a painless upgrade!
post #286 of 9018 Old 06-10-2005, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The software and firmware you see is also for the 8300MultiRoom version with QAM connectivity to other STB's, the upcoming whole home media version under development and the DVR DVD recorder STB's. SA has got their software to work across multiple platforms instead of a differnt OS version for each STB, thereby streamlining the code. Those features not supported on a particular platform are just ignored. A good example of this is that the same software is also now on the 8000 DVR with none of the expandible or network capabilities.

Also, I know of NO MSO that is officially allowing or supporting SATA expandibility at this time. Right now, it works on a non-supported basis, so enjoy it, but beware that things can change. We went through this a few years ago with the 1394 ports on the 3250 and other STB's. They were "active" by default until MSO's had to start incorporating digital rights and other security features. Those that didn't have specific protection were forced to turn off the ports until things were straightened out.

vegggas

Helpful Links
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #287 of 9018 Old 06-10-2005, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

The software and firmware you see is also for the 8300MultiRoom version with QAM connectivity to other STB's, the upcoming whole home media version under development and the DVR DVD recorder STB's. SA has got their software to work across multiple platforms instead of a differnt OS version for each STB, thereby streamlining the code. Those features not supported on a particular platform are just ignored. A good example of this is that the same software is also now on the 8000 DVR with none of the expandible or network capabilities.

Also, I know of NO MSO that is officially allowing or supporting SATA expandibility at this time. Right now, it works on a non-supported basis, so enjoy it, but beware that things can change. We went through this a few years ago with the 1394 ports on the 3250 and other STB's. They were "active" by default until MSO's had to start incorporating digital rights and other security features. Those that didn't have specific protection were forced to turn off the ports until things were straightened out.

vegggas

while i'm sure what you say is true, i think the situation is probably different here since these external sata connections do encrypt, probably more than needed (e.g., the damned hd gets married to the box/authorization card combo...can't even be used on another system that protects the signal like can be done in the firewire, dvi, hdmi worlds).
post #288 of 9018 Old 06-10-2005, 05:37 PM

I just swapped out my SD DVR for one of these yesterday, and I have to say I love the HD. Has anyone used an external SATA drive with Cox in the Phoenix Area? I saw that Cox in another area worked (I think Oklahoma?), but I haven't seen anything about phoenix in this thread. I talked to 2 different tech guys on the phone and one told me that it wouldn't work but the other just implied that it wasn't supported and I was free to try it.

Thanks for all the great info in this thread.
post #289 of 9018 Old 06-10-2005, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not seen any posts in our local forum (see website in my profile) or the Phoenix thread here that indicates anyone in Phoenix has connected an external SATA drive. We have a very small thread from a while ago that shows some interest, but no one ever followed through as near as I can tell. I can ask the question and see if anyone pops up.

There should really be no reason why it wouldn't work though, although vegggas' caveat certainly applies. Cox personnel are probably the last people to ask since they rrely comment on anything that has not been announced or is not officially supported. The only way you are going to know for sure is to bite the bullet, order the parts, and press on. I'd do it, but I have enough trouble watching what I record now, so I have no need for more storage at the moment. My problem is trying to watch/record 4 progams at the same time.

Cheers, Dave
post #290 of 9018 Old 06-10-2005, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the info DoubleDAZ,
I think I will order the external box and cable, then just use a random drive I have sitting around as a test. Unfortunately, I am about to leave so that will have to wait until tomorrow.
post #291 of 9018 Old 06-11-2005, 08:19 AM

when i get my 8300hd might have to give this a try
post #292 of 9018 Old 06-11-2005, 03:56 PM
GBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarrior4u View Post

The firmware also talks about being ethernet capable and even lists a place for an IP address via dhcp, but there's no ethernet port on my box...so I'm not sure how you'd get that to work. The box also gets an IP address via the RF network (also assigned via some sort of DHCP) and in theory you *should* be able to get to the box configuration via a web browser or telnet, but I haven't figured out the details for that either (yet!).

Thanks to all for doing the research to make this a painless upgrade!

The IP address, to my knowledge, is used to access on-demand programming; the 8300HD has a built-in cable modem that is used for that purpose thus IP address and DHCP client.
post #293 of 9018 Old 06-12-2005, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I placed my order late last night, for the EP-301SA enclosure and Seagate ST3400832AS 400gb drive from Newegg, and the 221303D Comax cable from Cruz. All should arrive in a few days and I hope to have success with SA8300HD from Charter, in Topanga CA.

Incidentally, the price for the cable has increased from the $12.50 shown when this thread first started, to a current value of $18.50.

Also, in retrospect I could have saved CA sales tax on the $302+$3+$24 Seagate drive price by buying it from YesMICRO.com for $295+$7 instead of Newegg. A bit less on price for the drive, a bit more for shipping, and not in CA so no sales tax. I had originally decided to get both from Newegg for convenience, but naturally right after placing my order had second thoughts.

By the time I called Newegg first thing this morning to cancel the drive they said the two items had already been packed, scanned, shipped and my credit card charged, which I found amazing at 8:30AM. They told me I could just refuse delivery when it arrived, if I wanted to. They would refund my money and I could then reorder the enclosure.

I think I'll just let it go. I can't wait for the capacity-expanding hardware to arrive, so who really cares about the extra $27 now.

Let's hope there's no problem with the Charter SA8300HD SATA port.

no problem..the serial port works on mine ian di am about ten miles away from toponga ca, so i know yours should work also..

good luck

Martin
post #294 of 9018 Old 06-12-2005, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

i also use a sa8300hd
and ..cant find the version!

where in the menu do i find the info to find out which version i am running...is it by holding the buttom for a few minutes and then click on the other side button and you get the 30plus page info deallie...but whre eis the software number and version.??

also it is too bad that the eserial is not capable of being connected to a dvr type maybe even hdvd type device so you can store your favorite shows for your libarary! that would be good...i think...hardrive and dvdr capabilities...i d sign on to that

thanks

Martin
post #295 of 9018 Old 06-12-2005, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Martin, I believe the software info is on page 3 of the "30plus page info deallie".

Cheers, Dave
post #296 of 9018 Old 06-13-2005, 11:14 AM

Does anyone know if this feature has been enabled for Time Warner NYC customers?
post #297 of 9018 Old 06-13-2005, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntermini View Post

Does anyone know if this feature has been enabled for Time Warner NYC customers?

From what I've read, no because Time Warner uses Passport software, not SARA. Check out the Time Warner thread from the 8300HD.
post #298 of 9018 Old 06-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

I am a Time Warner user in upstate NY and I have SARA but have not tried the external hard drive.
post #299 of 9018 Old 06-13-2005, 06:47 PM

Hi folks, I'm a new forum member in Mpls, MN (Time Warner) and got my 8300 HD about 3-4 months ago. This is the 1st DVR I've owned, and have a few questions that you may be able to answer for me. I got the HD version for the extra storage space, even though I don't have a HD TV yet. I understand now why TVIO was so popular, I've held off till now because I couldn't see paying $10 or more a month for basically a VCR with an HD, just to get a program guide which I already get and pay for from my cable company...

Now that I have had it for a few months, I have found that I have a hard time watching "live" TV on another set in the house without it, MAN, there's nothing like blasting FF thru 3-4 mins of commercials in 30 secs or so (though wish they would put in the skip 30 secs per button push like I heard TVIO has, but that's a small quibble).

The problem I have, is that I have recorded a number of programs, many of which I would like to archive, and do not have the option/ability (that I know of, at least) to get them to a DVD (I don't want them on a VHS tape, I prefer the digital format and small physical storage space, plus the ability to watch them on my PC if I so choose). I knew this going in, but thought that there would be a "work around" for it by now, as there has been in so many things in the PC world I live in, but as of yet haven't found a way to do it.

My DVR is full, even though I haven't recorded one thing in HD, and this has brought me to this crossroads. I haven't looked recently, but I believe all this HD/DVR rental stuff is raising my cable bill at least $10-20 a month, when it's all said and done (HD prog, DVR, remote control rental, etc etc etc...) I guess I don't mind the extra money, at least not if it would allow me to use this to it's full potential, that is, to replace my VCR.

The crossroads I am at, is I am trying to decide if I should break down, and spend $2-250 on the external SATA drive for this, (because this thing is consistently hovering between 92-100% full recently) or, since I don't have a way to get the recordings off the DVR and on to DVD, to go with another technology? I haven't researched it too much as of yet, I've just started to get to the very irritated point the last week or so, that's when I found this forum.

I was looking for 'answers' to the DVD backup/export issue, but didn't find a solution, although I did find some useful threads, such as this one. I have seen at least one DVR/DVD solution, didn't have time at that moment to look further into it, and lost the info, but I know that there must be something out there that will allow me to go from DVR to DVD in one unit, & preferably without having to integrate a PC into my entertainment center.

That's always an option, but not high on my list of preferences. Even with its idiosyncrasies, I do like the TW setup, but this inability is going to become an issue, & sooner rather than later, I can tell. I would assume that if I were to replace this unit with another (some sort of DVD/DVR combo unit), I would be spending (most likely) approximately the same amount that I would be to just increase the (non-exportable) storage capacity of this unit.

I like the integration that TW offers (there's something to be said about one stop shopping, at least when it works), and the cost isn't so bad, but I really want the option to get programs off this thing to a DVD. This DRM cr*p is going to drive me nuts, I can tell, and I wish there was something we all could do about it other than sit back and take it. I have the right to record for my personal use any program broadcast on TV, at least until they overturn the Fair Use doctrine, but they are obviously implementing technology to render it useless, so now we're stuck with what they feel we should be happy with.. Sorry about the rant, it's just so frustrating.

If anyone has any suggestions to help my situation, I would love to hear them. I certainly like the technology, and the perks that come with it, but to not have the ability to get it out of my box and onto an external media is looking to become a showstopper. (and sorry for the log post)

ps, one last quick question, rumor has it that TW is selling out (at least in my market) to Comcast in the not too distant future, and I've heard grumblings about their internet service, I've Loved my Roadrunner, had it more than 5 years now... Anyone have thoughts on what may be coming down the pike for us in the Twin Cities in terms of service, costs, etc? Thanks again!
post #300 of 9018 Old 06-13-2005, 10:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I placed my order late last night, for the EP-301SA enclosure and Seagate ST3400832AS 400gb drive from Newegg, and the 221303D Comax cable from Cruz. All should arrive in a few days and I hope to have success with SA8300HD from Charter, in Topanga CA. Let's hope there's no problem with the Charter SA8300HD SATA port.

Well, yet another 100% success story to relate.

The unit was at 99% when I started (52 recordings). When the addition of the 400gb external drive was complete, the unit was at 26%. Essentially quadrupled the capacity of the box.

Took about 10 seconds to insert the Seagate drive into the terrific looking EP-301SA enclosure (with its built-in 80mm fan) and tighten all the screws. Took another few minutes to delicately insert the e.Sata end of the cable into the connector on the back of the enclosure, which was a bit snug on the top. But all went well.

Connected the Sata end of the cable to the SA8300, and then plugged the A/C adapter into the power connector on the enclosure. Nothing special happened, other than that the power light on the front of the enclosure lit up. But no comment from the SA8300.

Unplugged the SA8300 from the wall, let it sit for a minute, and then plugged it back in. Now it advised of a new device available that needed to be formatted, and did I want to do it. I gave it the "ok", and the message box went away. But it never actually told me it was finished, and I didn't know if it was in fact formatting the entire drive or just the VTOC. So I gave it 45 minutes while I did some fine-tuning on the Sharp Aquos using Digital Video Essentials.

Checked the list and capacity, and it still was at 99%. Unplugged the SA8300 from the wall a second time, and a minute later plugged it back in. Now a new message appeared, indicating that there was a device present that could be used by the DVR and did I want to use it. I gave it the "ok", the message box disappeared, and that was that.

I then checked the list and capacity, and now it was at 26%. My friend was absolutely ecstatic!

So... this is the second piece of Charter-dispensed misinformation that turns out to have been "yes" when Charter said it was "no". First, they said the HDMI port was not active (or at least not supported) and it was perfectly functional. Second, they said the SATA port was not active (or at least not supported) and it also was perfectly functional, just as many others on this thread from all around the country and from numerous different cable systems have attested to. I didn't see a Charter customer in the thread, so this may be a first (or perhaps I just missed it).

Anyway, case closed. Situation normal. 100% success.

Thanks to the thread starter. Wonderful.

[Edit] Addendum: The first attempt at recording following the presumably acceptable new dual-drive state failed. In other words, a timer recording did not record and did not create a new entry on the list. Nor did a manual recording succeed, and the red "recording" light did not come on, nor did the Guide show that recording was occurring.

It was necessary to pull the power plug for the SA8300 yet one more time, and a minute later plug it back in, to trigger the boot process one additional time with both drives active. Now all of the timer-recording and manual-recording features worked perfectly, and the recordings showed up in the list. WHEW!

I don't know if this one-additional reboot is absolutely necessary, or if some other anomaly might explain why recordings were not working before that. All I know is that thankfully the additional reboot corrected whatever was the problem and operation is now TRULY normal again, but with quadruple the original recording capacity thanks to the new Seagate.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page