8300HD and External SATA - It Works!! - Page 118 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #3511 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ahh, in that case, I don't mind going a few pages back. But my searches ALWAYS suck at bringing up the correct info.I can spend hours looking for something on google and find nothing, while someone I know can find it within 4 minutes. Search engines just don't like me

Packing Protons - Freelance Videography

www.youtube.com/WPLJTV for 95.5 contests and concerts

www.youtube.com/NTV1978 for Geek stuff :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The external drives seem to be locked into the specific DVR that formats them. They can't be moved to another DVR, nor can they be attached to a computer. Thus, the files on the external drive are accessible only by the DVR that originally recorded them.

However, some smart guy ought to be able to crack the code and remove those restrictions; it's just computer code, after all.

Ok, now that I found my answer, here's a question. Could you connect the DVR to a USB/Sata multi switch conncector(Sort of like those Multiple Ethernet Port Connectors from netgear), connect the Drive to one of the outs, and a computer to another out. Then, install some kind of software that allows the computer to see the dvr drive and get the computer to see it that way? Wether that explination makes any sense or not, LmK .

post #3513 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by NV5655 View Post

Ok, now that I found my answer, here's a question. Could you connect the DVR to a USB/Sata multi switch conncector(Sort of like those Multiple Ethernet Port Connectors from netgear), connect the Drive to one of the outs, and a computer to another out. Then, install some kind of software that allows the computer to see the dvr drive and get the computer to see it that way? Wether that explination makes any sense or not, LmK .

DVR format different than PC. PC will *see* the drive, but it will appear unformatted. The PC will offer to format it.

But there's more; the DVR content is HEAVILY encrypted. Even if the PC could read the data, it could not do anything with it.
post #3514 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Ahh, in that case, I don't mind going a few pages back. But my searches ALWAYS suck at bringing up the correct info.I can spend hours looking for something on google and find nothing, while someone I know can find it within 4 minutes. Search engines just don't like me

It's not you. The AVS search engine has a lot to be desired. Just use Google instead. And, as you've just found out, some would rather instruct you on how to fish, rather then just giving you a fish - all in about the same keystrokes! Do as archiguy suggests and make a game out of it. After all, Google can turn up answers to just about every conceivable question under the sun - if you search long and hard enough. So why do we need forums you ask?

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #3515 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

It's not you. The AVS search engine has a lot to be desired. Just use Google instead. And, as you've just found out, some would rather instruct you on how to fish, rather then just giving you a fish - all in about the same keystrokes!

This thread got, in LARGE part, to this length from people who'd rather not fish because they can get the fish given to them. And from people like me who scold them for not trying to fish.
post #3516 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

This thread got, in LARGE part, to this length from people who'd rather not fish because they can get the fish given to them. And from people like me who scold them for not trying to fish.

I agree in principle with what you're saying. However, if a noob(or anyone else for that matter) finds AVS searching fruitless, and if the length of search hits is as long as the original thread, what have you gained? I'm guilty sometimes of responding the same way, but what have WE gained if we continue to tell people how to fish, over and over again. They haven't found the answer, and often leave because of the intimidation factor and sense of hubris of the more knowledgable members. In the end, no one is benefically served - either the original poster, or the 100s of lurkers seeking similar information. The thread then becomes as LARGE as it is with little or no technical content, because the 'regulars' would rather scold, then offer an easy answer.

Everyone likes a little a--, but no one likes a smart a--. Personally, I've been made to feel as stupid as a fence post sometimes because of the demeaning and belittling responses from other forum members. I usually just lick my wounds and seek alternative information elsewhere on the net. I always thought a forum and the thousands of threads were there to help people WITH an answer, rather then unintentionally chasing them away because WE (myself included sometimes) dish out more vinegar than honey. I will respectfully return to my corner after putting on my flame-retardent outerwear

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #3517 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Well, you got to admit, when the answer is right there only one or two pages back and somebody can't even do that much "research", then they richly deserve to be scolded. My personal limit on technical matters in threads like this is to read back 10 pages, plus the first page in case the answer is there. Granted, it may take an hour, but chances are I'll not only find the answer to my question, but I'll learn some other stuff along the way. If I can't find it, or the "answer" is still too confusing, I'll roll the dice and ask the question. The search function on AVS (along with the atrocious new spell-checker they installed with the site upgrade last year or the year before) is pretty worthless, as many have said.

This Forum is actually very helpful and most of the participants are reasonable about providing assistance. If you want to see a forum where many of the participants are jerks and won't answer anything, try the HTPC forum. I wanted to build one a couple of years back but couldn't find even the basic knowledge clearly outlined in that forum. And that's some seriously complicated stuff. Questions would go unanswered, threads would die with no response. I just gave up after awhile.
post #3518 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I agree in principle with what you're saying. However, if a noob(or anyone else for that matter) finds AVS searching fruitless, and if the length of search hits is as long as the original thread, what have you gained? I'm guilty sometimes of responding the same way, but what have WE gained if we continue to tell people how to fish, over and over again. They haven't found the answer, and often leave because of the intimidation factor and sense of hubris of the more knowledgable members. In the end, no one is benefically served - either the original poster, or the 100s of lurkers seeking similar information. The thread then becomes as LARGE as it is with little or no technical content, because the 'regulars' would rather scold, then offer an easy answer.

There is something called "forum etiquette" and I'm sure it's at least referred to when one registers on AVS - it is on many other forums. Unfortunately, it seems that no one reads that (either). When I have a new topic I need info on, I search for the relevant thread, read the first page or two, and then the LAST THREE WEEKS of posts. The first pages sets up the topic and, usually, the thread, while the last few weeks of posts tells me what's going on NOW in the thread. Many times the info I seek is one place or the other. Additionally, the first page of long, ongoing threads usually has links to related information, and many times those links are updated by the original poster. This takes time and effort on the part or the poster, but it puts current information in an easily found location.

It is disheartening when this effort goes un-noticed, un-used and un-appreciated.
post #3519 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks. And the fact that the external drive is "on" 24/7/365 doesn't change your opinion? In the computer world, only servers see this kind of duty.

Pepar - long time no speak!
Indeed, very few applications see the kind of duty cycle these drives get (when used by avid TV watchers!). That said most other deployments of drives (e.g. servers) have many other heat generating items next to each other i.e. CPUs, other drives etc. In this instance it is just one drive in one case. This is a much more easily manageable environment.

In our older kits we used a polycarbonate case, which acted as an excellent insulator , hence we felt that using a fan was critical to maintaining a healthy drive temperature. That said, we still saw some temperature hot spots within the case. After much debate internally we changed our design to a solid aluminium case =without= fan. There is no question that our current kits run cooler than the older kits with fans (as long as the enclosure is not covered by anthing, and the vents are not blocked). Basically the metal housing acts as a large heatsink and keeps the drive at a nominal temperature. We also found that people prefer not having the hum of the fan (which can change in pitch). We also observed the highest cause of product failure was the fan. So by utilizing a passive heat radiation solution, we think the product is as reliable as it can be (given the limitations of the drive).

Another poster was asking who is neTegriti and why haven't we heard of their drives. Please note that neTegriti is an integrator that brands the kits. The drives themselves are all Maxtor drives. So you can be sure the drive quality is from a top tier brand.

The other question that keeps coming up is, "should I buy a kit, or buy the parts and build it myself". Buying parts is totally viable and may be cheaper. However, there are definitely combinations of drive brands, models and firmware revisions that are not fully compatible with the 8300HD. How much money you save depends on how many times you need to return the drive model to try something else until it works fully. If you buy a kit from us, we offer a no hassle 30 day money back guarantee (with NO restocking fee) if the item is not fully compatible with your system.

We have neTegriti 160GB, 250GB, 300GB, 400GB & 500GB DVR eSATA drive kits in stock.

Jesse Menczer
DiscounTechnology.com
+1 214 550 1214
post #3520 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscounTech View Post

Pepar - long time no speak!

Hey, I'm always glad when I can provide the opportunity for you to work in a commercial!

Quote:

If you buy a kit from us, we offer a no hassle 30 day money back guarantee (with NO restocking fee) if the item is not fully compatible with your system.

The topic at hand is whether or not your company "supports" your drives with Passport?
post #3521 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

Both that hard drive and the one on Weaknees say they are not compatible with Passport, but only with SARA.

Has anyone with Passport used either of those drives successfully?

We have many users happily using our kit with their Passport based 8300HD DVRs. That said, our web site still lists Passport as being incompatible.

Frankly we still haven't been able to bring ourselves to declare compatibility. Here's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong). The eSATA port now works fine on the latest Passport revisions, but many of the interface features are semi-broken by the usage of an external drive. So there is a trade-off of more storage space for less interface features, correct?

We are still uncomfortable advertising our product as fully compatible given these limitations. Yet we have satisified Passport customers. It seems to me that if the user has carefully informed themselves of the limitations it is a reasonable solution. However, for the many customers who just want an upgrade kit that is as simple as "Plug and Play" with no compromise, we're not sure what to do.

Advice? Clarifications?

Jesse.

Jesse Menczer
DiscounTechnology.com
+1 214 550 1214
post #3522 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah Jesse, Dr. Pepar and I did disagree a tad about the necessity of a fan!

I do take a little issue with "However, there are definitely combinations of drive brands, models and firmware revisions that are not fully compatible with the 8300HD." That implies that certain drives and models don't work. As if it's the drive's fault. Poppycock! It's that the software addressing the drive in the 8300 that is a god awful, alpha quality mess. Aside from a crashed head or a fried board in a drive, I'd bet you 100% of the ones that don't work in an 8330 work fine in any standard computer with a functioning SATA bridge. Yes, a slight distinction to some, but let's put the onus in the correct place.

Scarlett, having a single software platform for all of TWC does have some minor advantages. The fact that we are told SDV will only function on Mystro is more telling (and more important to us HD types). However, IMO the real reason is that this is their OCAP platform. Essentially this means that they can have far more complex "things" they can make available so as to sell us more stuff. The corporate-speak would probably run thus" "With this new software platform we will be able to bring you exciting and new video services that wouldn't have been possible with the software we are replacing." I could make that much better (it was top o the head) but I think you get the point.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #3523 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

The fact that we are told SDV will only function on Mystro is more telling (and more important to us HD types).

That isn't quite right. SDV will not function on Passport - it does work with Sara.

xnappo
post #3524 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:

A "chipset" means circuitry between the drive and the 8300HD, something to be avoided, IMO. And any reference to drive size is disturbing; either the capacity number is implying something about the chipset, or they puffed that number out there for marketing purposes as it's the largest currently available.

Well, I was mistaken about the chipset--just read too fast! The only chipsets used in the Apricorn enclosures are for the USB and Firewire versions. The USB version uses a Cypress chipset, and the Firewire version uses an Oxford chipset. The SATA version is a straight pass-through only. My apologies for the confusion.

I called Apricorn tech support to confirm that information, and while we were talking, I asked about the hard drive capacity. I was told that they have tested 750GB hard drives in the SATA enclosures, and it handled them with no problems. They have not tested any terabyte drives at this time.

Additionally, I asked about the SATA/USB combo enclosures and was told that the new SATA enclosures being shipped also include a USB interface. The SATA interface in those units is still pass-through only and should operate exactly as the SATA-only enclosures as long as the USB interface is not also used at the same time. Apricorn does sell some SATA-only refurbished enclosures for $29.

I asked if there should be any problem using the "optimized for streaming media" drives in these enclosures and was told they would work fine. I also verified that only SATA drives can be used with the SATA interface. Someone else had suggested that a PATA drive could be used inside the enclosure and then connected to an eSATA port. Not so, said the Apricorn tech.

Now, since Dave has reported that preliminary indications are that external SATA capability is going to be retained with Navigator, I am asking Santa for a 500GB Seagate DB35 hard drive, then I am going to put it inside my trusty Apricorn enclosure and see how well it works. I trust that cuzzin will be reporting on his experience with the Maxtor QuickView/Apricorn combination in the near future.

Scarlett

TWC Austin, TX--SARA 1.89.24.1--8300HD--Seagate ST3300831AS ext. SATA HD--Apricorn SATA enclosure
post #3525 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

We have many users happily using our kit with their Passport based 8300HD DVRs. That said, our web site still lists Passport as being incompatible.

Frankly we still haven't been able to bring ourselves to declare compatibility. Here's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong). The eSATA port now works fine on the latest Passport revisions, but many of the interface features are semi-broken by the usage of an external drive. So there is a trade-off of more storage space for less interface features, correct?

We are still uncomfortable advertising our product as fully compatible given these limitations. Yet we have satisified Passport customers. It seems to me that if the user has carefully informed themselves of the limitations it is a reasonable solution. However, for the many customers who just want an upgrade kit that is as simple as "Plug and Play" with no compromise, we're not sure what to do.

Advice? Clarifications?

Jesse.

The only known bug is loss of the ability to pause, rewind and replay LIVE TV. Those are still available during playback of recorded content. I can't remember anyone with 2.5.066 Passport NOT being able to expand their capacity with an external drive. And Passport seems less finicky than SARA.

As for your company's policy, it is all very understandable and justifiable. But, your sales to Passport customers are limited to those with a certain amount of Errol Flynn in them. If you went to the next step and instilled confidence with a policy change, you'd generate more buzz and, along with it, more sales.

Just my $.02.
post #3526 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:

The only known bug is loss of the ability to pause, rewind and replay LIVE TV. Those are still available during playback of recorded content. I can't remember anyone with 2.5.066 Passport NOT being able to expand their capacity with an external drive. And Passport seems less finicky than SARA.

As for your company's policy, it is all very understandable and justifiable. But, your sales to Passport customers are limited to those with a certain amount of Errol Flynn in them. If you went to the next step and instilled confidence with a policy change, you'd generate more buzz and, along with it, more sales.

Just my $.02.

I think we are very close to opening our doors fully to Passport users. It seems we just need to communicate VERY clearly the features that are lost. I'll let you know. But I suspect we may fully support Passport very soon. Note that we are also concerned / expect the return levels to be higher due to more people not checking their firmware version in advance. As ever we will offer our compatibility guarantee.

When you say "less finicky than SARA", which issues are you referring to?

Jesse Menczer
DiscounTechnology.com
+1 214 550 1214
post #3527 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Scarlett, having a single software platform for all of TWC does have some minor advantages. The fact that we are told SDV will only function on Mystro is more telling (and more important to us HD types). However, IMO the real reason is that this is their OCAP platform. Essentially this means that they can have far more complex "things" they can make available so as to sell us more stuff. The corporate-speak would probably run thus" "With this new software platform we will be able to bring you exciting and new video services that wouldn't have been possible with the software we are replacing." I could make that much better (it was top o the head) but I think you get the point.

I have no issue with all of TWC being on a single software platform. However, if they continue to handle the upgrades as they do now, we will not all be on the same version at the same time. New York SARA users had the 1.88.xx.xxx version long before Austin got it in February of this year! I know they have to test upgrades in limited markets, and even that isn't a problem for me. I just want to be sure that the external SATA drive feature will be retained before I spend more money on a SATA drive that cannot be used in a PC in the event that we lose that feature. Dave says that preliminary reports indicate that the external SATA drive will be available with Navigator, so I'm happy. I don't buy any VOD or Pay-Per-View special programs--or even subscribe to premium channels--so the additional "exciting" video services hold no allure for me. I just want a decent IPG. Still haven't heard from my local TW contact, and that is unusual. Even when he "doesn't know," I always get some response. Will post here when and if I hear anything.

Scarlett

TWC Austin, TX--SARA 1.89.24.1--8300HD--Seagate ST3300831AS ext. SATA HD--Apricorn SATA enclosure
post #3528 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Ah Jesse, Dr. Pepar and I did disagree a tad about the necessity of a fan!

I do take a little issue with "However, there are definitely combinations of drive brands, models and firmware revisions that are not fully compatible with the 8300HD." That implies that certain drives and models don't work. As if it's the drive's fault. Poppycock! It's that the software addressing the drive in the 8300 that is a god awful, alpha quality mess. Aside from a crashed head or a fried board in a drive, I'd bet you 100% of the ones that don't work in an 8330 work fine in any standard computer with a functioning SATA bridge. Yes, a slight distinction to some, but let's put the onus in the correct place.

Fundamentally I agree with you. If I was talking to the engineers at SA, I'd have some strong words with them about why on earth their product has such interoperatiblity issues. Even Maxtor and Fujitsu can't make a product that works with 100% of the SA boxes!!!!!!

That said, I'm talking about the "combinations of drive brands, models and firmware revisions" because that's all we actually have control over. You may want a differently designed 8300HD, but it's not realistically going to happen. So the permutations you/we can control are the other items in the "system". Thus as we all try to acheive interoperability it's the drive and it's firmware that we are putting the onus on.

Jesse Menczer
DiscounTechnology.com
+1 214 550 1214
post #3529 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Everyone likes a little a--, but no one likes a smart a--.

It's not the intimidation factor. I've been on the net as long as 1992 so I'm used to being snubbed, or being told to do something I may or may not have already done. It's more the search function on this site leaves alot to be desired. Especially in a thread that has about 200 pages. You type in 8300HD, and about 60 or 70 of those pages pop up, making the search almost worthless. I usually go through about 5-6 pages before I just give up in a long thread and ask at the end.

But, I'd much rather have someone who just happens to remember where the info I need in a thread is and post a link, rather than tell me to search, which just sounds uppity. I understand that the question gets asked alot, and that gets annoying.. But still... you've got to see how annoying it is on our end .

Quote:

There is something called "forum etiquette" and I'm sure it's at least referred to when one registers on AVS - it is on many other forums. Unfortunately, it seems that no one reads that (either). The first pages sets up the topic and, usually, the thread, while the last few weeks of posts tells me what's going on NOW in the thread. Many times the info I seek is one place or the other. Additionally, the first page of long, ongoing threads usually has links to related information, and many times those links are updated by the original poster. This takes time and effort on the part or the poster, but it puts current information in an easily found location.

It is disheartening when this effort goes un-noticed, un-used and un-appreciated.

It's definetly appreciated. Especially when you follow a thread for a while, and can't remember what post the latest driver link was in. It's appreciated, so keep it up . Most of my posts are made at work, when I can steal a few minutes of free time and browse. On a good day, I get back at 3 when I can search the thread a bit. On a bad day, I get home at 7PM and by then I barley have time to do what I need to do here. So just posting in a long thread, and having an answer in a thread notification emailed to me at the end of the day is a great time saver.

So, I really do get my research done when I can, the problem is when can I get it done?

post #3530 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I think we are very close to opening our doors fully to Passport users. It seems we just need to communicate VERY clearly the features that are lost. I'll let you know. But I suspect we may fully support Passport very soon. Note that we are also concerned / expect the return levels to be higher due to more people not checking their firmware version in advance. As ever we will offer our compatibility guarantee.

When you say "less finicky than SARA", which issues are you referring to?

Ummm, being a "guest" here on this predominately SARA thread makes me want to choose my words carefully.

There are posts from people with a particular drive/case combo, off-the-shelf or DIY, that works beautifully for them while fails miserable for the next SARA-ista. With no apparent difference between the two - the same SARA version. SARA-istas "*seem* to be limited to 300GB, while I'm eying my perfectly working and nearly full 500GB drive and considering a 750 gigger. Many Passporters are using 500GB drives with one or two (that I remember) successfully using 750's.

Require the Passport version before selling anyone a drive. Show them your wonderful customer service by educating them and assisting them in finding the version. A bit more work on your part before the sale will provide a positive experience and instill confidence in the customer. It will also reduce returns.

Again, just my $.02.
post #3531 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:

For instance, someone posts a long explination that someone is likley to ask a bout in the future. This post link gets stickied to the main post in that long thread?

I agree with you. Forums are a chain of communiques, which if followed, contain a ton of information. However, they are very very time consuming to absorb. Ideally, someone would create a synopsis from that wealth of knowledge, that the uninitiated could read. Similar to the role of a FAQ page. Then it would be easy and resonable to ask users to read the the synopsis before posting their question (which otherwise would inevitably have been asked 342 previous times in the thread). I've been on this thread for a LONG time and it looks like many of the same questions are being asked and answered today as there were in the first 10 pages.

Jesse Menczer
DiscounTechnology.com
+1 214 550 1214
post #3532 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

But, I'd much rather have someone who just happens to remember where the info I need in a thread is and post a link, rather than tell me to search, which just sounds uppity. I understand that the question gets asked alot, and that gets annoying.. But still... you've got to see how annoying it is on our end.

Obviously, I've not yet mastered telling someone to go fish without sounding uppity.
post #3533 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I agree with you. Forums are a chain of communiques, which if followed, contain a ton of information. However, they are very very time consuming to absorb. Ideally, someone would create a synopsis from that wealth of knowledge, that the uninitiated could read. Similar to the role of a FAQ page. Then it would be easy and resonable to ask users to read the the synopsis before posting their question (which otherwise would inevitably have been asked 342 previous times in the thread). I've been on this thread for a LONG time and it looks like many of the same questions are being asked and answered today as there were in the first 10 pages.

That was a big part of my point; the first post in this thread *is* exactly what you describe. And it is kept current by the original poster. Nobody knows it's there - nobody looks. (And you're makin' my point with your post. )
post #3534 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:

That was a big part of my point; the first post in this thread *is* exactly what you describe. And it is kept current by the original poster. Nobody knows it's there - nobody looks. (And you're makin' my point with your post. )

You are indeed correct. After many posts and many hours reading this thread over the last 18 months, I did not realize that summary exists. Which suggests either I'm blind, or we need to make this synopsis more obvious/visible.

DoubleDaz, with all due respect, I am disappointed to not see our neTegriti SA 8300HD eSATA Hard Drive upgrade kits listed in your synopsis. I believe we were the VERY FIRST company to offer a fully tested upgrade kit (which also comes with support and guarantee). I am surprised that we are not high on your list, let alone missing altogether. Several of the resellers that you do list are simply offering untested drives with restocking fees.

Jesse Menczer
DiscounTechnology.com
+1 214 550 1214
post #3535 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

You are indeed correct. After many posts and many hours reading this thread over the last 18 months, I did not realize that summary exists. Which suggests either I'm blind, or we need to make this synopsis more obvious/visible. .

It's something that everyone should just know, just like everyone should know that you don't run up to a group of people having a conversation and butt in rudely. How you would - politely - educate people as to forum etiquette is unknown. I've got the impolite method perfected, but it is counter-productive. davehancock has a sig festooned with links and pertinent information and even IT goes un-noticed, etc, etc.
post #3536 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

davehancock has a sig festooned with links and pertinent information and even IT goes un-noticed, etc, etc.

Not THIS Dave (or the other one either)

Dave Hancock
post #3537 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Not THIS Dave (or the other one either)

Oh gosh, sorry. It's vegggas.
post #3538 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Give credit where credit is due (and it is)

Dave Hancock
post #3539 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Give credit where credit is due (and it is)

Hit F5.
post #3540 of 9062 Old 12-04-2006, 05:14 PM

Have been following this thread for a good while now and initially added my eSata drive based on the great posts here. But since upgrading to a larger drive, I'm seeing the same playback glitches as most.

Base Info:
8300HD
SARA v1.87.xx
Vantec 3 USB/eSATA
Cox-LasVegas

Drives:
Seagate 300gb ST3300831AS (worked flawlessly)
Seagate 750gb ST3750640AS (works but has annoying playback glitches)

So far, tried swaping the eSata cable with one that is shielded but it made no difference. Before reverting to the 300gb drive, I have a new drive enclosure on order that includes a variable speed cooling fan. The 750gb drive seems to run pretty hot.

Cox - SARA v1.88.19.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page