Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Pepar,

Taking the high road or low road is regionally oriented. Cable (TW) here has been very much taking the high road - but they have been having a significant success with their Digital Phone offering (and significant package deals). The local phone company and the SATs have been taking the low road in a desperate attempt to compete.

I'm tempted to switch back to SAT and the local phone with DSL - but the ONLY thing holding me back is the 8300HD with external 250GB drive (what this thread is all about).

So, you see a connection between the strength of one's technology offerings and the tactics one employs in marketing same? From the scenario in your market, TWC has a hot hand and is being high-minded in their marketing, while the other two slog away to maintain the status quo. Tools of the trade, I guess.

I seriously considered leaving cable and going SAT. My programming choices were pretty much a wash cost-wise from CATV to SAT, so I stayed with the devil I knew. Hi-def and HD-DVRs sealed it. At least for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9021 Old 08-24-2005, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The decryption keys for stored programs are located in the ram of the STB for first use, then it handshakes with the headend for continued usage. If you try to use your DVR after it has not been connected to cable for a while, it will no longer play back. You may get about 4 hours (+/- 2 hours?) of usage from stored content before everything times out and it becomes un-useable.
I do not have an NDA with SA, so this is conjecture based on the STB field and cable security general awareness. I do not specifically know exactly how the encryption/decryption process works, based on any STB manufacturers hardware or software platform.
Had to put that in...
vegggas
post #543 of 9021 Old 08-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post

Thanks veggas & pepar, that was what I was looking for.

I guess there is probably no way to have constantly expiring codes without re-encrypting the stored information. But having a static key coming from each account does not seem less secure than the static key in each box. I guess they could hold the key only long enough to actively decode the stored file, then make the DVR handshake to get it again, but there does not seem much point over the static solution.

v/r,
C-F

We think you should write them a letter. We're sure they will see the impecable logic of your position and make the change post haste.

post #544 of 9021 Old 08-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

The decryption keys for stored programs are located in the ram of the STB for first use, then it handshakes with the headend for continued usage. If you try to use your DVR after it has not been connected to cable for a while, it will no longer play back. You may get about 4 hours (+/- 2 hours?) of usage from stored content before everything times out and it becomes un-useable.
I do not have an NDA with SA, so this is conjecture based on the STB field and cable security general awareness. I do not specifically know exactly how the encryption/decryption process works, based on any STB manufacturers hardware or software platform.
Had to put that in...
vegggas

post #545 of 9021 Old 08-25-2005, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I sent them an e-mail yesterday and the fellow seemed excited during the call-back, talking about eureka, simple changes, briefing packets to management, maybe a bonus.

Then this morning's call-back was slightly incoherent: management reads foam?, pepper?, sarcasm? Killed the momentum?

I honestly didn't know what to make of it...

:P

v/r,
C-F
post #546 of 9021 Old 08-26-2005, 03:25 PM

Won't cable card II make the encryption issues more user friendly?
post #547 of 9021 Old 08-26-2005, 07:34 PM

Has anyone been able to get a SATA drive to work on a Passport box yet?

Regards,

Robert
post #548 of 9021 Old 08-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbienstock View Post

Has anyone been able to get a SATA drive to work on a Passport box yet?

I don't think so. The SATA ports are not yet activated on Passport-equipped units. However, I am about to buy an inexpensive Firewire drive to try as the DIAG info says "always activate Firewire" as the Firewire status. Being supported (by the cable operator) may be one thing and activated yet another. If the Firewire drive doesn't work, I'll use it with my laptop for external storage. In fact, even if it DOES work, it'll go with the laptop as I buy TWO 500GB Firewire drives to connect to the TWO Firewire ports.
post #549 of 9021 Old 08-30-2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Just tonight replaced the Seagate 400gb (ST3400832AS) I originally purchased with a Maxtor Maxline III 300gb (7L300S0). So far, 100% of the performance problems and glitches I've had with controlling "live" TV (both SD and HD) as well as playing back recordings (both SD and HD) seem to have disappeared completely!...

I just today read through all of the thread (2nd time for much of it) and after looking at all the options, etc. -- put my order in for the Cruz cable (2 meter) @ roughly $25 with shipping, and from NewEgg:

EXT SATA ENCLSR E-POWER EP-301SA - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$33.85)
HDD MAXTOR|16M SATA 7200 7L300S0 % - OEM (Qty=1,Price=$157.00)

Extended Warranty Fee: $0.00
Subtotal: $190.85
TAX: $0.00
Shipping and Handling Charge**: $9.98
Total: $200.83

Total with the cable will be ~$225

I paid about $20 extra for the higher-end 300gb Maxtor drive that DSperber suggested with the 5 yr. warranty. I figured that it's worth the money if it's quieter, and the extra warranty won't hurt.
(Newegg has the other 300gb Maxtor SATA drives for about $132 or so on their Labor day special).

Hopefully I'll have everything received, installed, and working before I leave for vacation on Sept 13th.

Will post results in a week or so - Cox SARA Fairfax, VA
post #550 of 9021 Old 08-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSanford View Post

I just today read through all of the thread (2nd time for much of it) and after looking at all the options, etc. -- put my order in for the Cruz cable (2 meter) @ roughly $25 with shipping, and from NewEgg:

EXT SATA ENCLSR E-POWER EP-301SA - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$33.85)
HDD MAXTOR|16M SATA 7200 7L300S0 % - OEM (Qty=1,Price=$157.00)

I ordered the same exact items as you last Wednesday and they arrived yesterday (of course the Maxtor drive last week at Newegg was $12 more expensive--Doh).

Took me about 1 minute to install the drive in the enclosure. I just picked up my SA8300HD yesterady and will install the 8300 and the drive this weekend.

XBL Gamertag: Robbo67
post #551 of 9021 Old 08-31-2005, 05:22 PM

My eyes are bleed from reading today...
Please catch me up...

Where is the best place to buy the 8300HD and External SATA ?

How is the return policy?

Are they the cheapest?

Do any store-chains sell these.

Have a Nice Day!
post #552 of 9021 Old 08-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Wireless member

Huh? Buy them? How much *did* you read?
post #553 of 9021 Old 09-01-2005, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Huh? Buy them? How much *did* you read?

...more specificly written...buy the external drive for the 8300HD.

Have a Nice Day!
post #554 of 9021 Old 09-01-2005, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDugan View Post

See: Maxtor QuickView Expander - 160GB External Drive
and: Maxtor QuickView Expander - 300GB External Drive
Froogle the part numbers to get add'l prices.
post #555 of 9021 Old 09-01-2005, 05:04 PM

MAXTOR 300GB SATA Hard Drive from newegg.com
Mapower MAP-H31SS-01 SATA Enclosure from newegg.com
Sonnet Technologies SATA Cable from macmall.com

Everything works great. Here's the diagnostic menu info
SARA Version v1.87.16.1
HDD Info: Maxtor 6L300S0
Capacity 279 GB
Partition Info: Partition Size 259 GB, Free Space 259 GB

The Serial ATA Enclosure is really nice. Brushed aluminum, super easy install, and very well made

If there's any other info I can provide, holler.
post #556 of 9021 Old 09-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Sorry to have snapped at you. Currently, the largest eSATA drive is 300GB. But soon there will be 500GB drives from Seagate. And there are eSATA RAID solutions that hit 1.6 terrabytes - and are absurdly priced for anyone but the most well-heeled. There are many choices and soon there will be many more, so it is not possible to point you to one drive from one vendor and say it's the best. AT least imho.
post #557 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to have snapped at you. Currently, the largest eSATA drive is 300GB. But soon there will be 500GB drives from Seagate. And there are eSATA RAID solutions that hit 1.6 terrabytes - and are absurdly priced for anyone but the most well-heeled. There are many choices and soon there will be many more, so it is not possible to point you to one drive from one vendor and say it's the best. AT least imho.

not sure why you say the largest esata drive currently available is 300gb...i have 400gb and i believe the hitachi 500gb drives are out ...
post #558 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
He was probably speaking of the largest drive with eSATA cabled enclosure, and not the largest bare SATA drive. But, product announcements and press releases are always coming out...

v/r,
C-F
post #559 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 09:29 AM

Quote:

I'm not a techie and get a bit confused with this.

This product is easy to identify as complaint with my 8300HD Cablevision box because it's advertized as such.
Maxtor QuickView Expander - 300GB External Drive
http://www.maxstore.com/product.asp?sku=2663284

But when I got into my local PC store I tend to get lost in the selection process. There's a lot of things called ~External Hard Drives~ but the box literture is a bit convoluting to me and I don't want to buy something that ultimately won't work for my purposes. That's why I'm putting my faith in the experts here.

I'm looking for clear alternatives to the Maxtor. They might be easy for you to pick but I'm foggy on this stuff.

A list of other model#'s that would simply plug into the 8300HD and work with a simple reboot would be greatly appreciated.

Have a Nice Day!
post #560 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Sorry to have snapped at you.

It didn't appear to me that pepar snapped, or owed any sort of apology. It seems that people somehow expect to get instant, FREE, answers on the Internet, and can't take the time to sort through what is already written.

Dave Hancock
post #561 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I'm not a techie and get a bit confused with this.
I'm looking for clear alternatives to the Maxtor. They might be easy for you to pick but I'm foggy on this stuff.
A list of other model#'s that would simply plug into the 8300HD and work with a simple reboot would be greatly appreciated.

There is no other vendor at this time other than Maxtor that provides a simple plug-n-play solution.
post #562 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

It didn't appear to me that pepar snapped, or owed any sort of apology. It seems that people somehow expect to get instant, FREE, answers on the Internet, and can't take the time to sort through what is already written.

WOW touchy. A visitor can't ask a question...who made you king of the sand box?

I do thank Tony57 for summing up what I couldn't figure out after indeed reading 19 pages. You just saved me time, money and headaches.

On page one ~other~ external drives are introduced into the thread. Talk goes to ports, cables, etc. I just got more and more confused. ~I am not a techie~.

More and more threads at AVSForum use summations, usually by the FIRST poster. This is a useful tool, especially when the topic strays a bit. Some thread are REAL BIG...years big.

My major criteria for visiting...
Was this plug and play the only model? (ANSWERED)
What is recommened Software version or requirements on 8300HD?
Does this software version vary from Cable co to cable Co?

Have a Nice Day!
post #563 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony57 View Post

There is no other vendor at this time other than Maxtor that provides a simple plug-n-play solution.

The above is correct - The Maxtor unit designed specifically for the 8300 is the only really simple (one item to buy) plug-n-play solution.

However, as noted in many previous messages - the solution this thread started with is "almost" as simple. An external SATA enclosure, a SATA drive, and the proper cable from Crus or other sources, saves a few bucks, and offers more choices in hard drive size, warrantee period, etc. Plus you can always move the drive to a PC if your needs change, etc.

Several people have indicated the specific hardware items they purchased, and I would suggest buying off the net (I bought mine from newegg and got very prompt delivery). Often the people at the local computer stores are more interested in selling you what they have on hand rather than what you might really need.

If your Cable system used the "supported" software then it should be fairly simple from there. If it doesn't use the right software, then even the Maxtor box won't help.
post #564 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:

On page one ~other~ external drives are introduced into the thread. Talk goes to ports, cables, etc. I just got more and more confused. ~I am not a techie~.

What is recommened Software version or requirements on 8300HD?
Does this software version vary from Cable co to cable Co?

FYI, when this thread was started, the only way to add storage was to 'build-your-own', as the Maxtor QuickView Expander was not yet available (or even known to become available).

Also, the QV expander will work with the 8300, but not for all cableco's. This is because not all cableco's software enable the SATA port (i.e., while SARA (used by cablevision) works, the PASSPORT software won't)
post #565 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSanford View Post

If your Cable system used the "supported" software then it should be fairly simple from there. If it doesn't use the right software, then even the Maxtor box won't help.

Yes, good point, I initially neglected to mention that the 8300 will work with the Maxtor QV ONLY if the STB's software enables the SATA port (i.e. cablevison's SARA allows an external drive, but cable co's that use PASSPORT with the 8300 will not).
post #566 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought I saw a Seagate over at Newegg the other day...
post #567 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

I thought I saw a Seagate over at Newegg the other day...

Good. I new that they were developing something along the lines of the Maxtor QV, but I didn't know that it was out yet.

Do you have a link?

Tony
post #568 of 9021 Old 09-02-2005, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good. I new that they were developing something along the lines of the Maxtor QV, but I didn't know that it was out yet.

Do you have a link?

Tony

Oops, my bad...senior moment...or is it a blonde moment since i don't really consider myself a senior...

anyhow, what i saw was a number of buslink models offered at compusa...sorry
post #569 of 9021 Old 09-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

not sure why you say the largest esata drive currently available is 300gb...i have 400gb and i believe the hitachi 500gb drives are out ...

Sometimes my information is a bit out-dated and technology moves fast. 300, 300, I have three hundred, do I have 400, 400, going, going, I have 400, do I have 500 . . .

post #570 of 9021 Old 09-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

But when I got into my local PC store I tend to get lost in the selection process. There's a lot of things called ~External Hard Drives~ but the box literture is a bit convoluting to me and I don't want to buy something that ultimately won't work for my purposes. That's why I'm putting my faith in the experts here.

This "expert" says skip the local PC store and buy online. Most online vendors have clear, concise information about each and every item they sell. Whether you like to read very little or delve in and study (what to some would be esoterica) every last detail, the info is there. My experience with B&M vendors is that they either give you no information or mis-information.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page