post #5731 of 9018 Old 10-03-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

Those databases have been of tremendous help to this thread, certainly better than my initial feeble attempt to summarize things, and if there were an AVS Hall Of Fame, xnappo would be in it. This has got to be one of the most difficult threads to keep track of and those databases make it a breeze.

Kudos also need to go to all those who have added their experiences to make the databases what they are.

Agree 100%, except TWC should be PAYING him for doing it! After all, it's their totally crappy software that causes such a DB to have to be available and maintained.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5732 of 9018 Old 10-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Might be better to say LOUD clicking. Normal operation of a HDD always includes some level of clicking, but generally of a soft, almost feminine nature.

Yes. The OP used "weird" and "clicking" in the same sentence, which led me to believe it was something more than - to use your wonderful imagery - the sound of 1" vibrant red fingernails tapping on the stem of a martini glass.
post #5733 of 9018 Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 AM

While waiting for my Esata cable to get here, my 8300HD has started to record some HD programs with extreme video and audio distortion. Its as though the picture and sound are both tearing. Its constant enough that the programs are painful to watch.

The unit's drive is near filled up which of course is why I'm adding an external. Have others had this problem? Fragmentation? Buffer underrun? Any solution?

I can't start testing a new drive while there is an existing issue. Too many variables.

(TW-Sara 8300HD, planning to try to crack the FreeAgent mystery.)
post #5734 of 9018 Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Sadly no. Last time I had to transition boxes I just rented a second box for 20 days or so until I was caught up.

Not sure - I don't have much experience there. Anyone else know?

Regards,
xnappo

Thanks xnappo.

Reseating the cables didn't do much. I'd hate to switch boxes right away and lose all my recordings. Have their been reports of Apricorn cases causing the glitches? I'll probably try that next. Is there another good case that you recommend, rather than trying a new Apricorn?

Thanks!
post #5735 of 9018 Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM

this is a monster thread but very useful. I have only read sporadic pages concerningvantec nexstar 3 and then threads from last two pages. It seems to me the much beloved Apricorn enclosure is begining to show some failure or quirks base on some recent posts, or is it just me? Looking at the database, I would say people have been using the vantec nexstar 3 almost as much as apricorn with success, as long as it is with WD caviar16 drive. is this safe to say and anyone want to chime in on the longevity of the vantec/WD combo or apricorn enclosures? What about the calvary external drives which uses WD caviar16 inside. I see two success on the database, but anyone care to report any long term issues/success?
post #5736 of 9018 Old 10-03-2007, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

I have a wierd issue w/ clicking noises. If I turn the 8300HD off, my 500GB Seagate eSATA (forgot the model #, not a 'Freeagent') will make a single clicking noise every 5 minutes. It also happens if I'm watching something on-demand or anything that's not recordable.
If I leave the box on, no clicks, and everything seems fine. No glitches during playback, FF and REW is ok, etc...

Any ideas anyone?

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Just one: While I can't address the conditions under which you hear that click, I can tell you that clicking is *never* a noise you want to hear from a hard drive.

That's the first thing I thought.
I say it's a wierd problem because it only happens when the box is off...or when watching stuff that's not buffered/recordable, like on-demand.

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #5737 of 9018 Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

That's the first thing I thought.
I say it's a wierd problem because it only happens when the box is off...or when watching stuff that's not buffered/recordable, like on-demand.

Based on a comment someone else made, it sounds to me like the external drive is trying to establish a connection to the main unit. It keeps trying because the main unit is off and you hear the clicking. When the main is on, there is no clicking becasue there is a connection. That also makes me think it's not the drive itself doing the clicking per se, at least not like the heads were hitting the disks or something.

Cheers, Dave
post #5738 of 9018 Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post

this is a monster thread but very useful. I have only read sporadic pages concerningvantec nexstar 3 and then threads from last two pages. It seems to me the much beloved Apricorn enclosure is begining to show some failure or quirks base on some recent posts, or is it just me? Looking at the database, I would say people have been using the vantec nexstar 3 almost as much as apricorn with success, as long as it is with WD caviar16 drive. is this safe to say and anyone want to chime in on the longevity of the vantec/WD combo or apricorn enclosures? What about the calvary external drives which uses WD caviar16 inside. I see two success on the database, but anyone care to report any long term issues/success?

I'm one of the successes with the 500GB Cavalry drive and can report no issues whatever so far, which is a happy thing now that we are well into college football season. Keep an eye on buy.com - they occasionally offer it under $100 AR.
post #5739 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilan View Post

Thanks xnappo.

Reseating the cables didn't do much. I'd hate to switch boxes right away and lose all my recordings. Have their been reports of Apricorn cases causing the glitches? I'll probably try that next. Is there another good case that you recommend, rather than trying a new Apricorn?

Thanks!

Sorry - the Apricorn is really the most successful case out there. You could try swapping for another Apricorn - however I think it is unlikely that is the problem. I know it isn't free - but here another box is only $8 a month. You could start recording things on the other box until your old one is cleared out and then try that...

If you had any other combination of drive/case I would suggest that was the problem - but you are using the most successful combo...

Of course I am only guess here - no guarantees!

xnappo
post #5740 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Based on a comment someone else made, it sounds to me like the external drive is trying to establish a connection to the main unit. It keeps trying because the main unit is off and you hear the clicking. When the main is on, there is no clicking becasue there is a connection. That also makes me think it's not the drive itself doing the clicking per se, at least not like the heads were hitting the disks or something.

I didn't know that drives initiated the dialog. I thought that the controller polled attached devices.
post #5741 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't know that drives initiated the dialog. I thought that the controller polled attached devices.

I have no idea, but the fact that turning the box on stops the clicking (along with a similar comment by someone else) seems to say that some sort of handshake or something is taking place, doesn't it?

Cheers, Dave
post #5742 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I have no idea, but the fact that turning the box on stops the clicking (along with a similar comment by someone else) seems to say that some sort of handshake or something is taking place, doesn't it?

Sure, that's broad enough to agree with.
post #5743 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure, that's broad enough to agree with.

Anything I can do to get you to agree with me.

Cheers, Dave
post #5744 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

I know it isn't free - but here another box is only $8 a month. You could start recording things on the other box until your old one is cleared out and then try that...
xnappo

You may wan't to check with your cable co first about a temperary additional DVR.

I inquired to my cable co (Cablevision North Jersey) about it and they wanted to charge me $9.99 a month for an additional DVR service and $6.99 a month for the second DVR box rental.

8300HD
sara 1.89.17.1
WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
APRICORN EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT Enclosure
post #5745 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyv@cybernex. View Post

You may wan't to check with your cable co first about a temperary additional DVR.

I inquired to my cable co (Cablevision North Jersey) about it and they wanted to charge me $9.99 a month for an additional DVR service and $6.99 a month for the second DVR box rental.

AFAIK, that's the way it is here too, only it's a total of $23, which is way to steep if you ask me.

Cheers, Dave
post #5746 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

AFAIK, that's the way it is here too, only it's a total of $23, which is way to steep if you ask me.

Dickering may be an option. A friend here on Comcast who's got two boxes and premium packages went to them and got one more for free as part of a promotion. He claims he can "renew" the promotion every six months, though that sounds to good to be true. I believe he "mentioned" satellite in passing during his "negotiations" with them.
post #5747 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...the sound of 1" vibrant red fingernails tapping on the stem of a martini glass.

Talk about imagery... you nailed that one!

post #5748 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Indeed I have thought about a second 8300HD... but they DO charge 7 and change for a STB and undoubtedly would charge the DVR fee (10 bucks), so I'd expect about an additional 18 bucks per month. I had "decided" that my next TV would be cable card quipped, but my fave brand this year is going QAM tuners in all sets, but no sets w/cable card slots!

post #5749 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I'm really curious; what is the logic / reason behind charging extra for the privilege of recording ("the DVR service"), other than it gives the cableco an additional revenue stream? If they feel justified in charging more for a DVR box over a non-DVR box, why not just charge $17 for the box and service, instead of separating them? Do they actually incur an expense when you record?

Thanks,
Cactus
post #5750 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJack View Post

I'm really curious; what is the logic / reason behind charging extra for the privilege of recording ("the DVR service"), other than it gives the cableco an additional revenue stream? If they feel justified in charging more for a DVR box over a non-DVR box, why not just charge $17 for the box and service, instead of separating them? Do they actually incur an expense when you record?

Thanks,
Cactus

You will likely use more bandwidth if you record but a good answer would necessitate a discussion of how tech businesses operate.

When you buy a computer program as a download for eighty bucks the direct costs to the seller have minimal relationship to their cost of transferring it to you.

When a new trendy cell phone costs four hundred and a year later is given away with a two year contract, its not that the cost of the parts went down to nothing.
post #5751 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilo Hairy View Post

You will likely use more bandwidth if you record but a good answer would necessitate a discussion of how tech businesses operate.

Don't understand your bandwidth logic here. There is no increase in bandwidth taken just by recording a program, instead of watching it.

The rationale for these fees is that the boxes cost money, you are essentially renting them. The DVRs cost quite a bit more money than non-DVR STBs, so more money. Besides, TiVo created a business model charging monthly fees for program guides - cable is adopting that model (though you could argue the service).

Dave Hancock
post #5752 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJack View Post

Thanks,
Cactus

I thought the "service" was the guide that is used to program what you want to watch. Here the box is the same rent as a non-DVR box and of course with the harddrive inside is more expensive and problem prone.
Dan
post #5753 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Don't understand your bandwidth logic here. There is no increase in bandwidth taken just by recording a program, instead of watching it.

Don't know that the add'l $$$ for this is anything more than "because they can" but DVRs have two tuners and that means twice the data. YMMV, but we often are watching something while recording something else.
post #5754 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Don't know that the add'l $$$ for this is anything more than "because they can" but DVRs have two tuners and that means twice the data. YMMV, but we often are watching something while recording something else.

Ding, ding, ding. Exactly. Companies charge additional fees because they can. And they can because customers feel they are getting something of value for their money. Personally, I'd probably pay double what I'm now paying for my DVR, but please don't tell my cable co.

ps. and don't forget the hard drive cost as well as the extra service calls because the boxes are less trouble free than a plain STB.
post #5755 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Don't we all record some programs that we end up not watching and record and watch programs that without timeshifting, we'd have to miss?
post #5756 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilo Hairy View Post

Don't we all record some programs that we end up not watching and record and watch programs that without timeshifting, we'd have to miss?

Sure do, is that what you meant? I thought you were talking about cable bandwidth coming in, and couldn't see that.

Dave Hancock
post #5757 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just tried my freeagent ( freeagentpro) 500GB that I got earlier today and no sort of fiddling at all could make it format. I just got the error that something was wrong with the device.

Going to print out the known-working list and take it back to the store with me now and make sure I get the RIGHT drive/enclosure.

Btw, I couldn't figure out how to remove the hard drive from the enclosure. Not without deforming the enclosure anyway.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #5758 of 9018 Old 10-04-2007, 06:03 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

That also makes me think it's not the drive itself doing the clicking per se, at least not like the heads were hitting the disks or something.

I sure hope so...

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #5759 of 9018 Old 10-05-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilan View Post

I'll reseat the cables tonight.

Also, does the fact that I have the 8240 rather than the 8300 make a difference?

Thanks!

This is a good question. I had an 8240 hooked up to a Western Digital DVR Expander via eSata and kept getting glitches every 2-3 minutes. I then bought an Apricorn Xpander and saw the same glitches, so I knew it wasn't the external drive.

Then the cable company came out to fix an unrelated matter, and in doing so replaced my 8240 with an 8300. The glitches went away.

Now before I jump to the conclusion that it was the 8240, they also replaced some of my co-axial cable. They said I was getting very poor signal strength due to cheap wiring. So it's *possible* the glitches were due to the signal and not the 8300. I'll never know.

Anyone here w/ an 8240 and an external drive that works glitch-free?
post #5760 of 9018 Old 10-05-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitystream View Post

This is a good question. I had an 8240 hooked up to a Western Digital DVR Expander via eSata and kept getting glitches every 2-3 minutes. I then bought an Apricorn Xpander and saw the same glitches, so I knew it wasn't the external drive.

Then the cable company came out to fix an unrelated matter, and in doing so replaced my 8240 with an 8300. The glitches went away.

Now before I jump to the conclusion that it was the 8240, they also replaced some of my co-axial cable. They said I was getting very poor signal strength due to cheap wiring. So it's *possible* the glitches were due to the signal and not the 8300. I'll never know.

Anyone here w/ an 8240 and an external drive that works glitch-free?

I'm sure the problem was the signal strength. The 8240 should work the same with an external drive as the 8300. As you know, the difference between the two is only the analog tuners. The specs for the 8240 indicate support for the external drive.

Dave Hancock
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page