Forum Jump: 

post #5761 of 9018 Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitystream View Post

This is a good question. I had an 8240 hooked up to a Western Digital DVR Expander via eSata and kept getting glitches every 2-3 minutes. I then bought an Apricorn Xpander and saw the same glitches, so I knew it wasn't the external drive.

Then the cable company came out to fix an unrelated matter, and in doing so replaced my 8240 with an 8300. The glitches went away.

Now before I jump to the conclusion that it was the 8240, they also replaced some of my co-axial cable. They said I was getting very poor signal strength due to cheap wiring. So it's *possible* the glitches were due to the signal and not the 8300. I'll never know.

Anyone here w/ an 8240 and an external drive that works glitch-free?

Did you ever test to see if your glitches were a result of playback? Ie, could you rewind and not see the same glitch?

In any event your experience leads me to believe that it is possible that a new box would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 9018 Old 10-05-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

I'm sure the problem was the signal strength. The 8240 should work the same with an external drive as the 8300. As you know, the difference between the two is only the analog tuners. The specs for the 8240 indicate support for the external drive.

Agreed. WHENEVER you have glitching you can simply check your S/N ratio in the diags screens. If it is below 33 then it is your signal.

xnappo
post #5763 of 9018 Old 10-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Ok.

I just bought the Western Digital DVR Expander. I thought this was gonna be th easiest of all setups as I dont have to guy an exclosure, drive and cable, I thought i just hook it up.

Im in NYC (Queens) and I am running passport echo on a 8300HD. I unpluged the 8300HD from the rear, plugged in the DVR expander and the sata cables and waited a minute. Plugged back in the 8300HD and did the boot but it doesnt recognize the drive or ask to format or change the amont of space I have left.

I made sure the cable on both ends were secure and pushed in but im not getting anything.

Does anyone has any suggestions?
post #5764 of 9018 Old 10-06-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

I'm sure the problem was the signal strength. The 8240 should work the same with an external drive as the 8300. As you know, the difference between the two is only the analog tuners. The specs for the 8240 indicate support for the external drive.

Dave, my recent experiences point me to at least one sure fire way to increase the glitches... running way too tight on bandwidth. The last channel added (ESPN2 HD) started glitching like you wouldn't believe, it made a lot of things unwatchable. Not only that, but I also "know" the same issue happened at a different head end from me. VERY slowly, it got better. Then one of our more astute members noticed recordings were taking less disk space, a sure sign they were rate shaping. Problems went way down. THEN about a month ago, they dropped 4 analogs. BINGO, virtually NO glitches since then.

BTW, signal strength and s/n ratio were 2 items I did check frequently. At no time could I see any appreciable difference. Signal strength was consistently at or above what common wisdom said was OK.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #5765 of 9018 Old 10-06-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evperry View Post

Ok.

I just bought the Western Digital DVR Expander. I thought this was gonna be th easiest of all setups as I dont have to guy an exclosure, drive and cable, I thought i just hook it up.

Im in NYC (Queens) and I am running passport echo on a 8300HD. I unpluged the 8300HD from the rear, plugged in the DVR expander and the sata cables and waited a minute. Plugged back in the 8300HD and did the boot but it doesnt recognize the drive or ask to format or change the amont of space I have left.

I made sure the cable on both ends were secure and pushed in but im not getting anything.

Does anyone has any suggestions?

You might try a hot plug of the SATA cable; if I recall, that worked for a few...

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #5766 of 9018 Old 10-06-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilan View Post

Did you ever test to see if your glitches were a result of playback? Ie, could you rewind and not see the same glitch?

In any event your experience leads me to believe that it is possible that a new box would help.

yeah, I did test that. Sometimes the glitches were recorded and I could play them back, sometimes they weren't -- but mostly they were, so probably it was a signal issue.

My S/N ratio was like down to 8 or 10 or some really low number, the cable guy said.

Now that I've had a new wire installed 3 days ago, I've been glitch free ever since.
post #5767 of 9018 Old 10-07-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitystream View Post

yeah, I did test that. Sometimes the glitches were recorded and I could play them back, sometimes they weren't -- but mostly they were, so probably it was a signal issue.

My S/N ratio was like down to 8 or 10 or some really low number, the cable guy said.

Now that I've had a new wire installed 3 days ago, I've been glitch free ever since.

My glitches are definitely playback issues. Which is quite irritating, because I don't know how to isolate the problem (short of renting an additional box -which I am reluctant to do).

I may try another apricorn enclosure first.
post #5768 of 9018 Old 10-07-2007, 11:15 AM

I have been unsuccessful in adding my external drive that previously worked to my new hdc. It previously worked when I had just the 8300hd box but ever since I swapped out that for a 8300HDC it hasn't been able to work. It asks to format and then does nothing. I have tried letting it run over night and still nothing. When I reboot it just asks to format it again. Previously it took just a few seconds to format and then gave me a success message. Nothing this time. I've tried swapping out boxes twice more but still the same.

My only thought is that since it is a drive I used previously that it will take forever to format it.

Any suggestions? Any one else who has had problems adding a previously used HD to a new 8300? Thanks in advance.
Here's what I have

8300 hdc
SARA 1.90.5.103
Seagate 500 gb internal in Smart Drive enclosure
post #5769 of 9018 Old 10-07-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhhouston View Post

8300 hdc
SARA 1.90.5.103
Seagate 500 gb internal in Smart Drive enclosure

Is the Seagate a 7200.10? If so those don't work well - neither do some 7200.9s. Check the database in my sig for successful combos.

You are sure that your free space did not go up?

xnappo
post #5770 of 9018 Old 10-08-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Is the Seagate a 7200.10? If so those don't work well - neither do some 7200.9s. Check the database in my sig for successful combos.

xnappo

xnappo et all
I have been checking this thread (& others) off & on & just finished reading this one. I post quite a bit on Digitalhome.ca about all things Rogers SARA 8300 & external drives. Check it out, like you guys we are always finding new issues & sometimes have a different spin on things that might be helpfull. I hope you don't mind if I post your HD data base on our site. It is truly a godsend to anyone new & old to all this. I've already posted some info, like that above, on our ext. drive thread. I've had quite a few 8000 & 8300s to contend with since they became available in Canada 3-4 yrs ago. I find it frustrating that the cablecos have thrown us to the wolves with this & all the others issues we contend with.
Now, since it's Thanksgiving in Canada I'd like to thank all the people who've shared their wisdom,time & patience here.ie... pepar,veggas,dmilani,riverside guy,davehancock,doubledaz, and of course xnappo & others. To my fellow Canucks who puruse these threads, happy Thanksgiving, EH!

Rogers 8300HD SARA 1.89.16.2
post #5771 of 9018 Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman71 View Post

I hope you don't mind if I post your HD data base on our site.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=907

But it would be great to have it more prominent!

Thanks,
xnappo
post #5772 of 9018 Old 10-08-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=907

But it would be great to have it more prominent!

Thanks,
xnappo

How true and how soon we forget. Posters there still ask what's recommended to use. Guess you wouldn't mind if I ask them to add to the summary post. I'll post it again as a reminder.
THX

Rogers 8300HD SARA 1.89.16.2
post #5773 of 9018 Old 10-08-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman71 View Post

Posters there still ask what's recommended to use. Guess you wouldn't mind if I ask them to add to the summary post.
THX

Yeah, that would be great!

Thanks,
xnappo
post #5774 of 9018 Old 10-08-2007, 09:56 PM

Thank you very much.

This thread is soooo long that when i searched I didnt check that far back.

I am up and running with a WD DVR expander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

You might try a hot plug of the SATA cable; if I recall, that worked for a few...

post #5775 of 9018 Old 10-09-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakemaster View Post

I'm one of the successes with the 500GB Cavalry drive and can report no issues whatever so far, which is a happy thing now that we are well into college football season. Keep an eye on buy.com - they occasionally offer it under $100 AR.

I have it working as well, but can't figure out how to post to the database.

Came with the right cable as well.

"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd."
post #5776 of 9018 Old 10-09-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldenpat View Post

I have it working as well, but can't figure out how to post to the database.

Came with the right cable as well.

Just click the 'New' link.

xnappo
post #5777 of 9018 Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 PM

I am new to this. I replaced a Hitachi 500gb drive in my enclosure with a 1TB Hitachi drive and it works great. I am trying to use the 500gb drive in my PC as a secondary drive but my PC does not seem to 'see" it so that I can reformat it. Any suggestions?
post #5778 of 9018 Old 10-10-2007, 01:10 PM

Wow! I keep running around 85% on the 500GB Samsung, and am deleting things I've no time to watch to make space for new stuff, like the new fall TV shows.

Just looked at newegg, that Hitachi is $359, a little pricey for me right now... Thanks for the info, tho!

daloosh

8300HD - SARA 1.88.23.100 - Cablevision
post #5779 of 9018 Old 10-10-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlemunyon View Post

I am new to this. I replaced a Hitachi 500gb drive in my enclosure with a 1TB Hitachi drive and it works great. I am trying to use the 500gb drive in my PC as a secondary drive but my PC does not seem to 'see" it so that I can reformat it. Any suggestions?

AFAIK, that is not possible. Simplistically, I think the SATA is "formatted" on the fly, though I'm not sure "formatted" is the right term. I don't think it goes through the entire drive like Windows does or anything like that and I don't believe the software recognizes any sort of partitioning like Windows does either.

Cheers, Dave
post #5780 of 9018 Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daloosh View Post

Wow! I keep running around 85% on the 500GB Samsung, and am deleting things I've no time to watch to make space for new stuff, like the new fall TV shows.

Just looked at newegg, that Hitachi is $359, a little pricey for me right now... Thanks for the info, tho!

daloosh

That's the problem. I suspect if you had 1TB, you'd still run 85% or more. The more space we have, the more we record, even though there are not enough hours to watch it all.

Cheers, Dave
post #5781 of 9018 Old 10-10-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

AFAIK, that is not possible. Simplistically, I think the SATA is "formatted" on the fly, though I'm not sure "formatted" is the right term. I don't think it goes through the entire drive like Windows does or anything like that and I don't believe the software recognizes any sort of partitioning like Windows does either.

I think he meant to re-purpose the old drive as a normal HHD, but his PC did not recognize the drive to format it for computer use.

If so, wlemunyon, you might look into the BIOS for the motherboard to make sure the SATA ports are enabled. Especially if you are using PATA primary drive or connected it to supplemental SATA ports connected to a separate SATA controller (or RAID controller) instead of ones directly off the chipset.

Or, you might need to go into the computer management console (right click My Computer) and find/delete the partition from the [correct] drive.

v/r,
C-F
post #5782 of 9018 Old 10-10-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post

I think he meant to re-purpose the old drive as a normal HHD, but his PC did not recognize the drive to format it for computer use.

You're right, my mistake.

Cheers, Dave
post #5783 of 9018 Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Did you use a SATA connection to your PC? I ask because early Sata drives had both SATA and PATA connectors. I believe only the SATA are internally connected.
post #5784 of 9018 Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 AM

I am getting freeze-ups as follows: I recently connected a Seagate ST3300601XS-rk drive (that is listed as working on this forum). Since then on four occassion I have had the 8300 totally lock up during playback. The remote does not work, the front power button does not work. Either I have to pull the plug and re-boot, or if I wait too long the box re-boots itself. Questions:

1) Known Solutions?
2) What buttons on the front do I press to force a re-boot?
post #5785 of 9018 Old 10-11-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Can you keep us informed as to the operation of the 1tb drive over the long run. I'm courious to find out if it runs stable over the next several weeks.
Let us know if you start getting any glitches, or if programs terminate early or if you get any performance issues at all as the drive fills up.

8300HD
sara 1.89.17.1
WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
APRICORN EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT Enclosure
post #5786 of 9018 Old 10-11-2007, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I am trying to use the 500gb drive in my PC as a secondary drive but my PC does not seem to 'see" it so that I can reformat it. Any suggestions?

Go to Help and Support from the Start Menu, and search for Disk Management. There are tips on adding a drive and the Disk Management Console should provide the facility for the additional drive to be identified, partitioned and formatted.
post #5787 of 9018 Old 10-11-2007, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genes View Post

I am getting freeze-ups as follows: I recently connected a Seagate ST3300601XS-rk drive (that is listed as working on this forum). Since then on four occassion I have had the 8300 totally lock up during playback. The remote does not work, the front power button does not work. Either I have to pull the plug and re-boot, or if I wait too long the box re-boots itself. Questions:

1) Known Solutions?
2) What buttons on the front do I press to force a re-boot?

Since this is an external drive, it is quite possible that they can switch what is inside and not change the part number. I would open it up and see what the model of the internal drive is and compare to the database.

xnappo
post #5788 of 9018 Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 AM

The PC is a year and a half old HP Media Center PC m7470n with 2 SATA connectors on the motherboard, the original hard drive is connected to the first SATA connector and I connected the Hitachi 500gb to the second SATA connector. In the BIOS it says the SATA-1 adapter is enabled. I go to Disk Management and rescan but it does not find the disk. I use DISKPART and rescan, but it does not find the disk.
post #5789 of 9018 Old 10-11-2007, 02:23 PM

I just connected a 500 MB Cavalry eSata external Hard Drive to the 8300. After a little playing around with it the drive was recognized, and I am down to 14% recorded space (from 67%) . I have not yet recorded anything, but we'll see. I read somewhere that Cavalry puts in different drives and you can get unlucky .

I do have a questions for those that have an external drive connected. Do you turn off the external drive at night? I know that the 8300 Hard Drive is always running, but it seems to me that I wouldn't need to have the external one on all the time.

If you do turn it off, does the order matter? How about when turning everything back on. If the external drive is left off, does the 8300 just go back to its internal drive?

Thanks.
post #5790 of 9018 Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 PM

You have to leave it on. If it tries to access it and it is off, then you must re-boot to be able to get at any recorded material on the external drive.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page