Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 9018 Old 09-26-2005, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

You might also try exposing it to a powerful magnetic field like the ones generated by the cranes at the junk yards that pick up cars. (OK, I'm just kidding on this one.)

Good one! But I might have to try that. I just priced a pci eSata card. OUch!
About $300us for the TEMPO. Might be easlier to just exchange the QV.

Why are things so hard? I was once told, "If it was so easy, everyone would be doing it!". Well, isn't that the idea of consumerism? Going out now to get a couple of large magnets for $1.50. (O, just kidding!! HAR HAR HAR)

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/

I just became a eExplorer Club member... o-yes. Now it allows me to send tech questions to Scientific Atlanta. Much joy!

I enjoy the thread's title "8300HD and External SATA -It works!!" Should be amended, DO NOT TURN POWER OFF, OR ELSE!!

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9018 Old 09-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by smook View Post

Good one! But I might have to try that. I just priced a pci eSata card. OUch!
About $300us for the TEMPO. Might be easlier to just exchange the QV.

Does your motherboard not have SATA ports on it?
post #723 of 9018 Old 09-26-2005, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Does your motherboard not have SATA ports on it?

Yes but it's the SATA port NOT the eSATA (Sata II). I don't think anyone here has eSata ports on their PC yet.

BTW this is my second experience with the QV300. After powering off the first QV300, I lost it forever too.

BTW How is everyone archiving their shows? Are you hooking up a DVD recorder and using the COPY function of the 8300HD? (Yes I know, we lose HD and can only output via RCA video to the DVD recorder). ANYONE have a better idea?
I need to archive some of my recordings. What's everyone doing about this issue?

-Bill.

I noticed HDMI output from the 8300HD, but I can't find a DVD recorder with HDMI input.
post #724 of 9018 Old 09-26-2005, 08:55 PM

Hi everyone. I didn't read EVERY message in this thread but I read a lot of them but didn't find my answer. Apologies in advance if I missed it.

I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD from Time Warner Cable in Kansas City. It has USB, Firewire and SATA connectors on it.

I want to archive the shows on the DVR to my PC. I don't care how I do it, I have a DVD Burner, external SATA drive (on my pc), etc. Basically I want to pull the shows off the DRV and store them on my pc in a format that is playable by the PC (avi, or something similar).

I read the scientific atlanta specs on their site, they say they do not support this because of copyright issues, but I'm certain I understand that - you can record anything to vcr tape, I'm not certain how digital copies are different.

Anyways, if someone could point me to a guide on how this may be accomplished, whether it be by burning a dvd or copying the files directly somehow, please let me know. Thank you!
post #725 of 9018 Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 PM

Oh, and assuming I cannot read the data files themselves (as they are stored by the DVR and may be encrypted somehow) with my pc, then does anyone have suggestions on making live recordings from the DVR playback to a PC via any type of video connector? I'm using a ATI Radeon X800 series video card and it has a DVI connector on it as well as an s-video connector.
post #726 of 9018 Old 09-26-2005, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

SA's support is through their cable co's distribution. No U.S. cable company supports external drive storage through the eSATA connection with the current software. Although I haven't seen it yet, I'm under the impression that support will come in the form of a new GUI and external management with the release of the media center DVR series. Then it will only have compatibility with the "supported" drives as listed from drive manufacturers.

Pepar,
Quote:
I am outraged that a company can include a feature on a product and then somehow give us a head fake on support.

Show me where your cable company said that it supported this feature, and announced that you could go out and buy drives and they would offer support on your private equipment. I've had USB ports (yes they are active for peripheral devices such as keyboards and IR extenders, etc) on Digital STB's since the late 90's and have yet to have any support ever announced or given.

Aratak, (and Smook)
Check out the HD recorders forum. There is no way to archive digital signals from the DVR, other than through compliant devices (D-VHS) connected to the firewire port. You are free to record any down graded analog signals you want with the archive to VCR feature.

Smook,
I think you electrically "popped" your drives SATA controller when you yanked the cable out while it was still powered up. Although the DVR is powered down, there is still an electrical ground (via the coax) through the cable. Yanking the cable out while still powered up could have shorted lines to ground and even without a ground, th elines could have shorted out to the chassis. End result - You MUST power down both devices before removing the eSATA cable.

vegggas
post #727 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

Smook,
I think you electrically "popped" your drives SATA controller when you yanked the cable out while it was still powered up. Although the DVR is powered down, there is still an electrical ground (via the coax) through the cable. Yanking the cable out while still powered up could have shorted lines to ground and even without a ground, th elines could have shorted out to the chassis. End result - You MUST power down both devices before removing the eSATA cable.

vegggas

I believe you are correct. I must have done this two times with two different drives. I will proceed to exchange the QV300 one more time for good luck and try once again.

Thank you for your help. CAUTION to everyone else who is using an external drive to their 8300HD.
Cheers!
post #728 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 07:18 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smook View Post

I believe you are correct. I must have done this two times with two different drives. I will proceed to exchange the QV300 one more time for good luck and try once again.

Thank you for your help. CAUTION to everyone else who is using an external drive to their 8300HD.
Cheers!

"Learn from the mistakes of others as you'll never get a chance to make them all yourself."
post #729 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 07:27 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Pepar,
Show me where your cable company said that it supported this feature, and announced that you could go out and buy drives and they would offer support on your private equipment. I've had USB ports (yes they are active for peripheral devices such as keyboards and IR extenders, etc) on Digital STB's since the late 90's and have yet to have any support ever announced or given.

Show me where I said that. And the "company" to which I was referring was SA. "They" put the port there . . . oh, man, you're making me repeat myself . . .

Every feature on my new car is "supported" by the mfg. Ditto every feature on my espresso machine, can opener, camera, vacuum cleaner, etc. Why should the 8300HD's SATA port be any different? If it's there and functional, it should be "supported." I have no issue at all that no one will support the actual external drive, but the port itself . . . .
post #730 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Every feature on my new car is "supported" by the mfg. Ditto every feature on my espresso machine, can opener, camera, vacuum cleaner, etc. Why should the 8300HD's SATA port be any different? If it's there and functional, it should be "supported." I have no issue at all that no one will support the actual external drive, but the port itself . . .

Unless you bought your dvr box, you don't own it. You are renting it. Therefore nothing is officially supported until you get notice from your cable company. If you bought the box and the box came with a manual that talked about adding external drives they yes, you'd have a point. But only folks I know who own their 8300HD boxes live up in Canada. Since its not officially supported the cable company can turn it off whenever they want to. Technically its not supports to be there, but it is. Kind of like a "we'll turn it on, but don't ask us for help with it because its not ready yet."

I got my 500GB drive and the cooldrive case setup on friday. So far no problems at all. It recognized it right away and formatted it quickly. My usage went from 88% used to 19% used. No problems with playback yet. The case doesn't get horribly hot either. I have it sitting on the very top shelf with open air all around it.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #731 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post

Unless you bought your dvr box, you don't own it. You are renting it. Therefore nothing is officially supported until you get notice from your cable company. If you bought the box and the box came with a manual that talked about adding external drives they yes, you'd have a point. But only folks I know who own their 8300HD boxes live up in Canada. Since its not officially supported the cable company can turn it off whenever they want to. Technically its not supports to be there, but it is. Kind of like a "we'll turn it on, but don't ask us for help with it because its not ready yet."

I got my 500GB drive and the cooldrive case setup on friday. So far no problems at all. It recognized it right away and formatted it quickly. My usage went from 88% used to 19% used. No problems with playback yet. The case doesn't get horribly hot either. I have it sitting on the very top shelf with open air all around it.

Mike
When you say that you have no problems do you mean that you have not noticed any data loss/dropouts/frameskips or freezing as I have reported? What make of drive do you have and what are the specs (speed cache size)? Also have you looked at the 8300HD diagnostic screens? What is the firmware version? What is the size and percentage of AVFS partition relative to the total size of the 500GB drive as compared to the same data for the internal 160GB drive?

You can enter the diagnostic mode from the couch! Be careful with this one though, it may do other accidental things if you press the wrong buttons. Press and hold the Pause button until the Mail light starts to flash (around 10-15 seconds). Press Page Up and you will enter the diagnostic screens. This does not appear to affect the buffer or recording in progress
Thanks for any info that you can provide.
Andy.A
post #732 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY.A View Post

Mike
When you say that you have no problems do you mean that you have not noticed any data loss/dropouts/frameskips or freezing as I have reported? What make of drive do you have and what are the specs (speed cache size)? Also have you looked at the 8300HD diagnostic screens? What is the firmware version? What is the size and percentage of AVFS partition relative to the total size of the 500GB drive as compared to the same data for the internal 160GB drive?

You can enter the diagnostic mode from the couch! Be careful with this one though, it may do other accidental things if you press the wrong buttons. Press and hold the Pause button until the Mail light starts to flash (around 10-15 seconds). Press Page Up and you will enter the diagnostic screens. This does not appear to affect the buffer or recording in progress
Thanks for any info that you can provide.
Andy.A

It's a Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 500GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer.

I'll check the diagnostic screens tonight for the firmware version as well as partition sizes.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #733 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Unless you bought your dvr box, you don't own it. You are renting it. Therefore nothing is officially supported until you get notice from your cable company. If you bought the box and the box came with a manual that talked about adding external drives they yes, you'd have a point. But only folks I know who own their 8300HD boxes live up in Canada. Since its not officially supported the cable company can turn it off whenever they want to. Technically its not supports to be there, but it is. Kind of like a "we'll turn it on, but don't ask us for help with it because its not ready yet.".

Great Point Mike! We ALL need to keep this in mind.

An observation on the "break-up" issue that Andy has talked about: I have a 250GB 7200rpm Maxtor SATA with 16MB buffer. I've had this since March. I've observed that I have somewhat fewer break-ups on recordings made to this drive than made to the internal drive. This may be due to sample-to-sample variations in the 8300HD, or due to the 8300HD using a 5200rpm drive. It could also be due to the 16Mb buffer in the external drive. I also note, as others have, that when I ask the 8300 to do lots (record 2 HD shows, while watching a 3rd from the HD) that the incidence of drop outs on recorded shows increases. It then doesn't seem to make much difference what drive is being recorded to. It is likely a bus speed issue in the 8300HD.

Dave Hancock
post #734 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Great Point Mike! We ALL need to keep this in mind.

An observation on the "break-up" issue that Andy has talked about: I have a 250GB 7200rpm Maxtor SATA with 16MB buffer. I've had this since March. I've observed that I have somewhat fewer break-ups on recordings made to this drive than made to the internal drive. This may be due to sample-to-sample variations in the 8300HD, or due to the 8300HD using a 5200rpm drive. It could also be due to the 16Mb buffer in the external drive. I also note, as others have, that when I ask the 8300 to do lots (record 2 HD shows, while watching a 3rd from the HD) that the incidence of drop outs on recorded shows increases. It then doesn't seem to make much difference what drive is being recorded to. It is likely a bus speed issue in the 8300HD.

Dave
Thanks for the input. In theory the result that you have experienced is as it should be
What's puzzling to me is that I have experienced the exact opposite result. Programs recorded to the internal drive Maxtor 160GB 5400 rpm have no breakups (unless original program signal is crap). Programs recorded to the external drive Maxtor 160GB 5400 rpm have fewer and less severe breakups than the 300GB Maxtor QVX.
Andy.A
post #735 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I have not had any breakups or skipping since I did a hard boot last Thursday. The problems were getting worse, and the drive was getting louder. After the hard reboot, the drive is virtually silent again, and recordings are error free. I still think it comes down to an internal ram buffer memory issue that needs an ocasional reset that can only be done with a complete hard reboot (hold power while plugging in). In my process of doing a hard reboot, I also powered down the external drive while the STB was unplugged.

vegggas
post #736 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 10:19 AM

Quote:

I have not had any breakups or skipping since I did a hard boot last Thursday. The problems were getting worse, and the drive was getting louder. After the hard reboot, the drive is virtually silent again, and recordings are error free. I still think it comes down to an internal ram buffer memory issue that needs an ocasional reset that can only be done with a complete hard reboot (hold power while plugging in). In my process of doing a hard reboot, I also powered down the external drive while the STB was unplugged.

vegggas

veggas
Sorry I did not follow the steps to the hard reboot. Could you itemize the steps please. Also does that result in a reformat of both internal and external drives?
Thanks
Andy.A
post #737 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know that; I read all the problems had by posters here. I'm complaining about the fact that, somehow, the cable providers are getting away with this lame status of active, but not supported. Only a monopoly could do this; only a monopoly would have the mindset to think this is acceptable. And no flaming me on calling them a monopoly as SAT's but a gnat flying around their heads.

Just my $.02.
post #738 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Andy,
I thought I explained this earlier, but here it is again in detail, and also on the first page of the 8300 link in my sig.
To do a hard boot and download of software (any SA digi STB), do the following.

Turn off the STB and wait 5 or more seconds.
Remove power (plug) from STB and wait 5 or more seconds.
- If you are resetting the external drive too, remove power from it at this point and wait 5 or more seconds, then re-apply power to external Drive and wait 5 or more seconds.
Press and hold the power button on the STB front panel. While the power button is depressed, re-apply power to the STB and continue holding the power button until it says boot and/or the LED display goes in a circle a few times (usually about 15 seconds). The STB will refresh all available software and modules on the system, as well as clear out the memory cache. The IPG and other data may take up to 30 min to fully download.

Pepar,
Here is one for you... Have you seen all those truck and SUV commercials where they are offroad and doing crazy stuff... Even though they boast they can do those things, they DO NOT SUPPORT ANYONE ACTUALLY DOING THEM. If you take your truck or SUV offroad and something breaks or is damaged, it will not be covered under warranty and labeled as abuse. Just because I CAN drive over a boulder, log, stream or even a curb, The manufacturer does not support my actions in any way, but the ability to do so is still there.

vegggas
post #739 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know that; I read all the problems had by posters here. I'm complaining about the fact that, somehow, the cable providers are getting away with this lame status of active, but not supported. Only a monopoly could do this; only a monopoly would have the mindset to think this is acceptable. And no flaming me on calling them a monopoly as SAT's but a gnat flying around their heads.

Just my $.02.

I don't really want to jump in the middle of this "argument" (because I think you have somewhat of a point), but what would you have SA and the cableco's do? Should SA make mulitple units with and without various options? Should the cableco's then order units without the connectors until they are ready to support the optional features? And then, when they finally get their acts together, should they then order new units to swap out all the old ones?

Now you and I both know this doesn't make any fiscal sense for either SA or the cableco's, not to mention all the current users who would have to do without. IMHO (meaning I'm right ) it makes a lot more sense for SA to make a single unit with all possible options. This saves them, and eventually us, a lot of money through volume purchases and streamlined manufacturing while putting some pressure on cableco's to support the optional features. Cableco's save money by not having to purchase multiple configurations and swap basic units for those with optional features, and over time, they can add support for the optional features to gain subscribers and increase customer satisfaction.

To be sure, many (most?) cableco's do not move fast enough to support these optional features. But, in their defense, the investment needed might simply not be justified yet due to the still relatively low number of potential users, not to mention minimal profits. And, I can think of a number of questions that might be floating around the boardrooms. In the case of SATA, will they support a certain configuration/set of external drives or will they try to support all those on the market? Or are they trying to develop a way to support only rented units and not those purchased by subscribers? In the case of 1394 (Firewaire), there may also be some legal ramifications that preclude quick support. Then too, it's always easier for the cableco's to let us be the guinea pigs and do all the beta-testing/troubleshooting for them.

Cheers, Dave
post #740 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Pepar,
Here is one for you... Have you seen all those truck and SUV commercials where they are offroad and doing crazy stuff... Even though they boast they can do those things, they DO NOT SUPPORT ANYONE ACTUALLY DOING THEM. If you take your truck or SUV offroad and something breaks or is damaged, it will not be covered under warranty and labeled as abuse. Just because I CAN drive over a boulder, log, stream or even a curb, The manufacturer does not support my actions in any way, but the ability to do so is still there.

vegggas - You're resorting to the "Professional driver on a closed course. Don't try this at home." argument? Bwaaaaa - ha-ha-ha!
post #741 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

I plugged in my new 300GB SATA enclosure and everything seemed to be going smoothly. It asked if I want to format the drive and I went ahead.

After a couple of minutes I moved the enclosure during the format and the light went off. It turns out the SATA cable was not firmly connected. The 8300HD indicated that the device was not working properly, as expected.

So I turned eveything off, secured the connection and rebooted. When the box came up it simply said that the external device is usable, and sure enough, my usage went from 93% to 31% as expected.

I fear that the drive format was interrupted and may not have completed properly. Nevertheless, the box seems to think it is fine. I did a test recording and it seems to work OK.

Should I be concerned that the drive is not formatted properly? Is there any way to force a reformat of the drive, short of connecting it to a PC?
post #742 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

I don't really want to jump in the middle of this "argument" (because I think you have somewhat of a point), but what would you have SA and the cableco's do? Should SA make mulitple units with and without various options? Should the cableco's then order units without the connectors until they are ready to support the optional features? And then, when they finally get their acts together, should they then order new units to swap out all the old ones?

Now you and I both know this doesn't make any fiscal sense for either SA or the cableco's, not to mention all the current users who would have to do without. IMHO (meaning I'm right ) it makes a lot more sense for SA to make a single unit with all possible options. This saves them, and eventually us, a lot of money through volume purchases and streamlined manufacturing while putting some pressure on cableco's to support the optional features. Cableco's save money by not having to purchase multiple configurations and swap basic units for those with optional features, and over time, they can add support for the optional features to gain subscribers and increase customer satisfaction.

To be sure, many (most?) cableco's do not move fast enough to support these optional features. But, in their defense, the investment needed might simply not be justified yet due to the still relatively low number of potential users, not to mention minimal profits. And, I can think of a number of questions that might be floating around the boardrooms. In the case of SATA, will they support a certain configuration/set of external drives or will they try to support all those on the market? Or are they trying to develop a way to support only rented units and not those purchased by subscribers? In the case of 1394 (Firewaire), there may also be some legal ramifications that preclude quick support. Then too, it's always easier for the cableco's to let us be the guinea pigs and do all the beta-testing/troubleshooting for them.

Oh heck, jump right in!

SA *does* make multiple units; check this 8300 PDF. I count fourteen. And cable companies *do* order the configurations that they want to offer. Of course, if they ever planned to offer external expansion, they'd order with the ports. And only turn them on when ready. So, "port not active" equals no support. "Port active" equals support. Or should in my book. They should leave the damn things OFF until they're ready.

BTW, an option is only an option until it's selected and implemented. And then it's a feature.
post #743 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Oh heck, jump right in!

SA *does* make multiple units; check this 8300 PDF. I count fourteen. And cable companies *do* order the configurations that they want to offer. Of course, if they ever planned to offer external expansion, they'd order with the ports. And only turn them on when ready. So, "port not active" equals no support. "Port active" equals support. Or should in my book. They should leave the damn things OFF until they're ready.

BTW, an option is only an option until it's selected and implemented. And then it's a feature.

I count 8! Several have been discontinued and 3 won't be available till 4th quarter. This forum is for 8300HD - and there are only 3 available right now:
1) 4006781 - Base HD Unit
2) 4006775 - MR HD Unit
3) 4009287 - MR HD Unit w/Internal Cable Modem
No choice on eSATA
No choice on USB (though not enabled)
No choice on HDMI
There was a choice on IEE 1394, but no longer

So the cable company really does not have much of a choice!!

Dave Hancock
post #744 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

I count 8! Several have been discontinued and 3 won't be available till 4th quarter. This forum is for 8300HD - and there are only 3 available right now:
1) 4006781 - Base HD Unit
2) 4006775 - MR HD Unit
3) 4009287 - MR HD Unit w/Internal Cable Modem
No choice on eSATA
No choice on USB (though not enabled)
No choice on HDMI
There was a choice on IEE 1394, but no longer

So the cable company really does not have much of a choice!!

Shhhh!
post #745 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Oh heck, jump right in!

I know what the SA website shows, it's said that for quite some time now, but I believe what they show there and what is ultimately sold for cableco use are 2 different things. I think some of that is left over from their ill-fated attempt to enter the retail market here in the US.

Be that as it may, I tend to agree with your "port active = port support" concept, but I'm not sure there is an actual on/off switch here, software or otherwise, unlike the 1394 port. Actually, we're daisy-chaining HDDs here aren't we?

Then too, I'm pretty simple-minded and believe that a good many folks here are more than satisfied with their ability to record more HD and don't care all that much about support/non-support.

And that is all the $.02 worth I have to offer.

Cheers, Dave
post #746 of 9018 Old 09-27-2005, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

vegggas - You're resorting to the "Professional driver on a closed course. Don't try this at home." argument? Bwaaaaa - ha-ha-ha!

No, just the simple fact that "off-road" vehicles are not warranted or supported for "off-road" use. They claim all that traction control and 4-wheel drive is for rainy or snowy highway driving. Break something while offroad and your warranty is not valid because it is considered abuse.

RaveD brought up a good point. How do you format the external drive? There is no support for reformatting the internal drive, but we figured it out. I wonder if the same process (found on the first post of the 8000 and 8300 SARA threads) will format both drives?
Anyone with empty drives willing to try it?

Re: Memory usage.
With larger drives in use, the memory required to map each program and constant recording and deleting may be causing a fragmentation of memory in the unit. Adding a much larger drive could also be affecting memory as the STB has to use a virtual mapping system for the file system on the new drive. Memory fragmentation is not cleared unless a reboot is done, but once running programs get corrupted, a hard reboot needs to be done to re-download the correct programs.

vegggas
post #747 of 9018 Old 09-28-2005, 04:58 AM

vegggas ,

I would be willing to reformat my external drive as a test. Since this might be the only way to recover from my bad disconnect of a couple days ago, and now the system is reporting it cannot see the external drive. BTW I'm waiting for the rma from Maxtor to get a new one.

Only caution I would like to clear up ...I don't wish to reformat my internal hard drive of the 8300HD just the external. Let me know what you think.

Send me the procedure and clearly let me know if it might affect my internal HD on the 8300HD.

Standing by. Cheers!
-Bill.
post #748 of 9018 Old 09-28-2005, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
(Posted this in the wrong thread last night and am at work now, so I cant test hooking the SATA cable up)

I recieved my Hitachi 500GB drive and cooldrive case yesterday. I mounted the drive into the case and powered it up without any SATA cables hooked. I did not hear the HDD spin up. Normally to me this means it's a bad drive. However, I have never used a SATA one before I am starting to wonder if a signal from the device 8300HD is required before the motor kicks in.

Any ideas before I call ZipZoomFly?
post #749 of 9018 Old 09-28-2005, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

RaveD brought up a good point. How do you format the external drive? There is no support for reformatting the internal drive, but we figured it out. I wonder if the same process (found on the first post of the 8000 and 8300 SARA threads) will format both drives?
Anyone with empty drives willing to try it?

I had a short discussion with Andy.A in another forum and I suggested that the internal reformat procedure would also reformat the external at the same time if it was connected, but how would you know for sure. The only way would be if after the reformat of the internal it popped up the external drive detected and do you want it formatted. I did it once but cannot remember if I got a separate message.

At this point the only sure method is reformatting the external in a PC and then reconnecting to the PVR. This results in the external detected and format question.

The interesting part is the reformat takes less than a minute to complete, so I guess it is only laying down a FAT.
post #750 of 9018 Old 09-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

While the box sees all the extra space of the new drive, and can record to the new drive, I still fear it was not formatted correctly.

I have found that when watching the live buffer while another program is recording (to the external drive) I get freezes that last up to 10 seconds, and some stutters. I am guessing it could be due to errors writing to the new drive hanging up the box.

So it looks like I have to connect the drive to my PC to reformat. Are there any special tricks for this?

Can it be done within Windows XP?

Do I need to reformat, or just use FDISK to remove the partitions?

How do I do a low-level format?

Can I save my recorded programs to another drive, reformat the drive in my PC, then copy those saved programs back to the new drive?

Thanks in advance...
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page