8300HD and External SATA - It Works!! - Page 265 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7921 of 9018 Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Here is a 3-page PDF Parts List Set-Up with No-Enclosure. / Google Doc link for non-AVSF members:
This is what I have been using since Feb 2010 with no problems. I have swapped the WD1001FALS 32MB Cache for a WD1002FAEX 64MB Cache, both work without issues.
The reason I recommend using no enclosure is to eliminate the need to find a compatible enclosure that will not cause your Ext HDD to glitch during recording. Some enclosures that worked in the past have changed the chipset inside and may no longer work as well as they have in the past.

Updated 08/08/12:

Tested the new "beta" Passport Version 3.1.124 and it does Prompt for a Format of a New Ext HDD.

Updated 07/12/12:
Not sure when it happened, But I just noticed the "beta" Passport Version the DVR was running has been updated, again. I checked to see if it would prompt for the removal of the Ext HDD, and it does. I have not tested to see if it prompts for a Format of a NEW Ext HDD.

Prior beta version:
Passport Vers: 3.1.091
OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp

New Passport version:
Passport Vers: 3.1.124
OS Vers: (did not change, PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp)

AFAIK, there is no firmware for using an Ext HDD on the 8642HDC (Black DVR) running Passport.

Updated 03/15/12:
Still working great....The days are numbered for my 8240HDC, TiVo Premiere is now my DVR of choice. and will become my Whole Home DVR solution.

Updated 11/05/11:
Currently beta testing Passport Echo Vers. 3.1.091 and PowerTV Vers. 6.20.75.106sp, This update has fixed the formatting issue with the 8240HDC.
I strongly suggest you set all recordings and series recordings to "Save Until Manually Erased" -- The Blue Diamond ♦ next to the recording indicates this setting.
After a CableCARD update was pushed to the DVR, I lost all recordings that were marked "Save Until Space Is Needed".
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26515535-

Updated 06/25/11:
Still running Passport Echo Vers. 3.1.086 and PowerTV Vers. 6.20.75.103sp, Without issues. Other than no "New" Ext HDD formatting.
Waiting for Cox to deploy an update for the 8240HDC to once again recognize a "New" Ext HDD for formatting.
Cox Arizona has confirmed several times an update is testing, to be released summer 2011.

Updated 12/23/10:
Both Cox San Diego and Cox Las Vegas have now updated to Passport Echo Vers. 3.1.086 and PowerTV Vers. 6.20.75.103sp, and compromised eSATA External HDD Expansion on the 8240HDC.

Updated 12/06/10:
I just discovered that with the new Passport IPG, in PHX AZ, my 8240HDC will no longer format a "New" External HDD. The one that was previously formatted while running SARA still works. I am hoping and contacting Cox to find out why. The 8300HD still will format a New Ext HDD. Cox Arizona acknowledges the problem and states they are working with Rovi Corp to try and resolve the issue. The same issue was reported by a customer with Blue Ridge Communications using Passport Echo Vers. 3.1.086 and PowerTV Vers. 6.20.75.103sp

Updated 11/10/10: External HDD working as expected. NOTE: The following Software Versions Will NOT Format a New Ext HDD.
Just downloaded Passport to my 8240HDC

• Version: Passport Echo 3.1.085 - Sep 13 2010 16:20:06
  • OS Version: PowerTV 6.20.75.103sp - Jun 2 2010 2:20:38 PM

Updated 11/05/10: Still no issues, Still on SARA, should be upgraded to Passport Echo around 11/10/10. I will report back how the transition goes.

Updated 8/27/10: Swapped the WD1001FALS 32MB Cache for a WD1002FAEX 64MB Cache. Still solid performance, no issues to report, Still on SARA, waiting for delayed CoxPHX transition to Passport.

Updated 8/15/10: Still solid performance, no issues to report, Still on SARA, waiting for delayed CoxPHX transition to Passport.

Updated 5/14/10: I just wrapped my bare Ext. HDD in a SIIG CE-PR0112-S1 Hard Disk Protector Sleeve for 3.5" Drive, Really reduces the noise and vibrations, but doesn't raise the temperature.

Updated 5/08/10: I returned the Ext. HDD to my bare drive config. (no enclosure) w/ a harddrive cooler attached. With summer here the HDD was at 140°F in the enclosure. Bare HDD w/ the cooler, it dropped to 86°F. Still solid performance.

Updated 5/03/10: No Glitches since install on 2/07/10, Ext. HDD still installed in a Wintec FileMate 3FME3B2TB-R enclosure
I installed my bare HDD into a Wintec FileMate 3FME3B2TB-R enclosure on 4/16/10 to see if the drive glitched with that particular enclosure. And the answer is NO GLITCHES. But, in an enclosure, in the AV cabinet, the HDD gets mighty hot (though cooler than the DVR itself) while recording two HD streams and watching a third time shifted. But the combo does work. I will probably return to the Direct Connection, to avoid any heat build-up issues.

Recommended HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Enclosure: None (See PDF at Top of post) or Wintec FileMate 3FME3B2TB-R or Vantec NexStar 3 NST-360SU-BK Current reviews are that Vantec may have changed the chipset in their enclosure and some report the newer Vantec NexStar 3 may not be as successful.

BTW the WD10000LSRTL - Retail Box is the same drive as the WD1001FALS Bare Drive

Updated 4/16/10: No Glitches since install on 2/07/10 w/ the HDD Direct Connection

Thanks to "Jon8RFC" for this suggestion, see his comments: http://baseportal.com/baseportal/xna...b=main&Id==276

Try this, if you have not found a setup that works, it worked for me with the following drive WD1001FALS. I also have the SA8240HDC SARA v1.90.5.a113, in Phoenix. http://baseportal.com/baseportal/xna...b=main&Id==482

Instructions for a bare drive connection (no enclosure), I recommend adding a HDD cooler and a HDD Protector Sleeve
1) Connect drive to computer, delete all partitions, format HDD (If it is a brand new drive this should not be necessary)
....Instructions on how to reformat (using windows) an already DVR formatted HDD: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18414497

SARA IPG Instructions for connecting an External eSATA HDD
2) Unplug power from the DVR
3) Use an SATA to eSATA cable. (I-L) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00180F236/
4) Connect SATA connector directly to bare drive - eSATA connector to eSATA port on the DVR
5) Connect power to external drive. (power connection supplied by an auxiliary molex power supply: http://www.amazon.com/110v-4pin-mole...dp/B000MGG6SC/ with a SATA power converter cable on the end: http://www.amazon.com/ATX-Molex-Powe.../dp/B001ENSZ8Q )
6) Wait a few minutes for drive to spin-up.
7) Plug in power to DVR.
8) Wait until the time displays on the DVR
9) Turn on DVR and you should get a message to press A to format, wait until the second message that this drive now works with this DVR, Done.

Note the difference in power-up sequence between SARA and Passport.
Passport IPG Instructions for connecting an External eSATA HDD
First, Power up the DVR with TV on, (Ext HDD powered off.)
Second, Power up the connected Ext eSATA HDD with the DVR running, and you should be prompted to press "A" to format.
The Passport IPG now only recognizes the Ext if the DVR is running, not during the bootup process like it did with SARA.

Diagnostic Mode for Passport
To Enter Diagnostic Mode: Simultaneously press and hold the SELECT and EXIT buttons (on the DVR itself) until "DIAGNO" or "DIAG" appears. Release the buttons, then press EXIT and the the box tunes itself to the multi-page Diagnostics channel. After this process the Diagnostic pages can be accessed by directly tuning to that channel using the remote, once you know the channel.
Most likely the Diag Menu is a channel listed in the guide also.

MyWDDVRExpander.pdf 181.33203125k . file

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 9018 Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
With SA8300HD, may have to reboot a second time before it fully recognizes the drive....
post #7923 of 9018 Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am wondering what might have gone wrong here. I plugged in a sata drive; the 8300HD recognized it and formatted it. I rebooted the 8300HD; but no extra space showed up.

Is this normal?
post #7924 of 9018 Old 02-09-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Navigator doesn't display stats on the second drive.
The only thing that changes is the PERCENTAGE available.
post #7925 of 9018 Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

So if the percentage available does not increase...which it did not....then I gather that the added drive did not work.

I had only rebooted once....there was a suggestion to do it again.

Any other suggestions? Is there a way to reformat the drive again in case something went wrong?

Thanks.
post #7926 of 9018 Old 02-10-2010, 10:01 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Try this, if you have not found a setup that works, it worked for me with the following drive WD1001FALS. I also have the SA8240HDC SARA v1.90.5.a113, in Phoenix.

1) Connect drive to computer, delete all partitions, format HDD
2) Unplug power from the DVR
3) Use an SATA to eSATA cable. (I-L)
4) Connect SATA connector directly to bare drive - eSATA connector to eSATA port on the DVR
5) Connect power to external drive. (power connection supplied by an auxiliary molex power supply with a SATA power converter cable on the end)
6) Wait a few minutes for drive to spin-up.
7) Plug in power to DVR.
8) Wait until the time displays on the DVR
9) Turn on DVR and you should get a message to press A to format, wait until the second message that this drive now works with this DVR, Done.

Thanks for the reply Bryan. If I am reading this correctly, he attached the drive to the computer and then to the cable box at the same time -or- it sounds like he formatted the drive first and doesn't have a case for the drive, just a typical power supply with SATA connections that will attach to the drive.

In essence, there will be a bare drive (with no case) and a power supply with the drive connected to the power supply via the SATA slot. He then connects the drive to the box via eSATA connection.

I'm not really savvy with computers but if the scenario is what I explained, I think I got it.

Am I close or missing the boat?

Thanks
post #7927 of 9018 Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Formatting your External Hard Drive using the computer is a separate procedure from connecting it to the DVR. This process allows your DVR to recognize the drive as a new drive and will force a new formatting by the DVR.
A) Use your drive in your enclosure, using the usb connection to computer. Google formatting an external hardrive with your operating system. It might prompt you to format immediately when you plug it in. If not you will need to use Computer Management/Disk Management. Just make sure you have the correct disk and you are not formatting one of your computers harddrives. Here is a good article on formatting: http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html

B) Once the hardrive is formatted remove it from the computer and the enclosure.

C) You now need an eSATA to SATA Cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00180F236/ I bought mine at Fry's Electronics.

D) You also need a Molex Power Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/110v-4pin-mole...dp/B000MGG6SC/ and a Molex to SATA power adapter http://www.amazon.com/ATX-Molex-Powe.../dp/B001ENSZ8Q

Now follow the steps above to attach the bare drive to the dvr. (Note the power is supplied by the Molex Power Adapter not the DVR)
I simply used a thick mouse pad to sit the bare drive on a shelf, directly placed on the wood it vibrated too much.

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #7928 of 9018 Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That's interesting to know. My only question is what is the advantage of doing this rather than just leaving the drive in the case? Or, are you saying that the existing case is not an esata case, just a USB case and your procedure let's one avoid having to buy an esata case?

Quote:

Formatting your External Hard Drive using the computer is a separate procedure from connecting it to the DVR. This process allows your DVR to recognize the drive as a new drive and will force a new formatting by the DVR.
A) Use your drive in your enclosure, using the usb connection to computer. Google formatting an external hardrive with your operating system. It might prompt you to format immediately when you plug it in. If not you will need to use Computer Management/Disk Management. Just make sure you have the correct disk and you are not formatting one of your computers harddrives. Here is a good article on formatting: http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html

B) Once the hardrive is formatted remove it from the computer and the enclosure.

C) You now need an eSATA to SATA Cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00180F236/ I bought mine at Fry's Electronics.

D) You also need a Molex Power Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/110v-4pin-mole...dp/B000MGG6SC/ and a Molex to SATA power adapter http://www.amazon.com/ATX-Molex-Powe.../dp/B001ENSZ8Q

Now follow the steps above to attach the bare drive to the dvr. (Note the power is supplied by the Molex Power Adapter not the DVR)
I simply used a thick mouse pad to sit the bare drive on a shelf, directly placed on the wood it vibrated too much.

post #7929 of 9018 Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay guys, I just pulled my external drive and tried using the jumper as suggested by Sparkdude. I thought the pins would be numbered, but they weren't so I took a shot at it with the chance of being right 50-50 (5-6 is either one from the right or one from the left.). Well after reconnecting, booting, etc. several times I always got the "bad connection" message and most of my recordings were inaccessible. I was starting to get nervous. I pulled the external and moved the jumper. Booted back up and voila!

I stress tested the recorder and I still got a minor amount of glitching. Perhaps a little less than one per minute, but the glitches were much less noticeable/disruptive. So while it seemed to help quite a bit, it was not an absolute cure. I'll run it for a a couple of weeks like this and report back.

Thanks again, Sparkdude.
post #7930 of 9018 Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I found this quote and it made a lot of sense to me:
Source: http://baseportal.com/baseportal/xna...b=main&Id==276

Jon8RFC writes:

My DVR is 8240HDC supplied by Time Warner Cable of San Antonio, TX.

"This has been a big, frustrating process to get everything working. I got it working and my conclusion is that many external enclosures use some form of processing to convert the SATA connection to USB and/or firewire (or any other additional port), but the eSATA connection on the enclosure is not pass-thru...it goes through the processor first. I used a computer expansion slot SATA to eSATA cable, then connected the SATA side to the drive, and the eSATA cable to the expansion slot cable, then to the DVR. This was my solution: no processing of the drive connections, just a straight connection to the DVR and power connection supplied by an auxiliary molex power supply with a SATA power converter cable on the end."

Updated 2/11/10
I have used this direct connection setup with a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS harddrive and have not had a single glitch since. This is why I recommend a direct connection to a bare drive and I found the WD Cavier Black to work flawlessly, I cound not get the WD Cavier Blue to work without glitches.

Updated 2/21/10
Still working fine no glitches with this Direct Connection
SA8240HDC SARA v1.90.5.a113
External eSATA WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS, Direct Connection

post #7931 of 9018 Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I see the rationale. It makes sense inasmuch as there really shouldn't be glitches from an external and perhaps the case board is the culprit. I'm not too excited about having a bare drive laying by my TV, but I just might give this a shot sometime

Quote:

I found this quote and it made a lot of sense to me:
Source: http://baseportal.com/baseportal/xna...b=main&Id==276

Jon8RFC writes:

My DVR is 8240HDC supplied by Time Warner Cable of San Antonio, TX.

"This has been a big, frustrating process to get everything working. I got it working and my conclusion is that many external enclosures use some form of processing to convert the SATA connection to USB and/or firewire (or any other additional port), but the eSATA connection on the enclosure is not pass-thru...it goes through the processor first. I used a computer expansion slot SATA to eSATA cable, then connected the SATA side to the drive, and the eSATA cable to the expansion slot cable, then to the DVR. This was my solution: no processing of the drive connections, just a straight connection to the DVR and power connection supplied by an auxiliary molex power supply with a SATA power converter cable on the end."

Updated 2/11/10
I have used this direct connection setup with a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS harddrive and have not had a single glitch since. This is why I recommend a direct connection to a bare drive and I found the WD Cavier Black to work flawlessly, I cound not get the WD Cavier Blue to work without glitches.

post #7932 of 9018 Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

If you feel the need to have an external case, I found this one that does not have any on board electronics: SABRENT EC-ESTK Aluminum 3.5" eSATA External Enclosure. I may even get one myself. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817366009

This case only provides power to the hard drive inside. It brings the drive SATA port straight out to the eSATA connector. This enclosure does not slow down the native drive speed at all, and cannot cause any compatibility problems that are often caused by USB/eSATA enclosures.

post #7933 of 9018 Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Intriguing, but I notice it says capacity to 500gb. I'm scratching my head about why that would be since basically all it does is supply power to the drive and provide a sata to esata link.

Quote:

If you feel the need to have an external case, I found this one that does not have any on board electronics: SABRENT EC-ESTK Aluminum 3.5" eSATA External Enclosure. I may even get one myself. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817366009

This case only provides power to the hard drive inside. It brings the drive SATA port straight out to the eSATA connector. This enclosure does not slow down the native drive speed at all, and cannot cause any compatibility problems that are often caused by USB/eSATA enclosures.

post #7934 of 9018 Old 02-13-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Intriguing, but I notice it says capacity to 500gb. I'm scratching my head about why that would be since basically all it does is supply power to the drive and provide a sata to esata link.

It's like a lot of things when talking about using HDDs with cable boxes. What box you put a OEM dive in, what capacity, whether they provide multiple i/o channels all work just as designed when used with pretty much any computer (with a relatively late version OS). However, when hooking to some cable DVR, all these seem to come into play.

The responsibility for functioning with equipment that works as designed is 100% the function of the MSOs, and the DVRs they get paid for. Barring any possible DOA issues, pretty much ever drive, box, i/o situation works as designed, they store digital data and can read and write it reliably.

That being said, as users we see some combos seem to work for some folks in some areas. So we say "the XVY drive in a ABC case seems to work on more than 2 of the same DVR." BUT to me, it's more like the other way around... it's the MSO box working WITH a drive. Perhaps a subtle distinction, all I'm saying is don't blame the drive/box because it is NOT their issue.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #7935 of 9018 Old 02-13-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

This has absolutely nothing to do with use with a DVR. The description of the case itself says that it has a 500 gb cap. All I said was this seems weird inasmuch as the case is so simple that it has no processor board and is simply a means of enclosing a drive and providing power to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

It's like a lot of things when talking about using HDDs with cable boxes. What box you put a OEM dive in, what capacity, whether they provide multiple i/o channels all work just as designed when used with pretty much any computer (with a relatively late version OS). However, when hooking to some cable DVR, all these seem to come into play.

The responsibility for functioning with equipment that works as designed is 100% the function of the MSOs, and the DVRs they get paid for. Barring any possible DOA issues, pretty much ever drive, box, i/o situation works as designed, they store digital data and can read and write it reliably.

That being said, as users we see some combos seem to work for some folks in some areas. So we say "the XVY drive in a ABC case seems to work on more than 2 of the same DVR." BUT to me, it's more like the other way around... it's the MSO box working WITH a drive. Perhaps a subtle distinction, all I'm saying is don't blame the drive/box because it is NOT their issue.

post #7936 of 9018 Old 02-14-2010, 06:27 PM

You are correct in it has nothing to do with the dvr. That enclosure should support any size hard drive if it does indeed just pass through the connection to the cable. The fact it has a 500 gig limitation makes no sense other the the fact maybe the case came out when 500 gig hard drives were the biggest drive available at the time and it was a sales
hype thing. Most likely the description is old and has not been updated. Again this all assumes this enclosure does no processing.
post #7937 of 9018 Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking the same thing. This case came out quite some time ago and perhaps 500gb was THE biggest drive at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniez View Post

You are correct in it has nothing to do with the dvr. That enclosure should support any size hard drive if it does indeed just pass through the connection to the cable. The fact it has a 500 gig limitation makes no sense other the the fact maybe the case came out when 500 gig hard drives were the biggest drive available at the time and it was a sales
hype thing. Most likely the description is old and has not been updated. Again this all assumes this enclosure does no processing.

post #7938 of 9018 Old 02-17-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you all for the advice on getting an external SATA drive to work with the 8300HD. As noted a few posts back; booting twice did the trick. Now space used went from 80% plus to 40% plus. So it recognized the external drive.
post #7939 of 9018 Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 PM

I apologize in advance if there is a forum for this, but i have searched for hours and have found nothing

I have a 640GB WD caviar black (WD6401AALS) 32MB cashe external connected with a dock station (blacx) to a Explorer 8240HDC by eSATA. TWC is my provider.

The drive connects fine and records fine. Here are the big problems i encounter:

1) sometimes the drive will erase itself. Sometimes its bc the box turns off, other times its just random.

2) sometimes it will show all of my recordings, but says 0% for used space. if i try to select one of the recordings i just get a black screen. Any attempt to reconnect the external, or power off will erase all data. the box will reformat the drive after powering up whether the external is attached before or after reboot

3) some of the recordings dont always finish. some will record 3 min/60 or 40/60. random

PLEASE help! I had this problem with my 8300HDC also, and havent been able to find a fix. ill do anything at this point to fix this damn pos
post #7940 of 9018 Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

I'm guessing, since you have HDC boxes on TWC, you have the TWC Navigator software. I'm sorry to tell you that TWC seems to break the esata function every other release of Navigator, and they're currently on a broken cycle. Your symptoms are similar to mine and everyone else who has tried it. You'll probably find, if you keep at it, that it will also start deleting perfectly good recordings from your internal drive.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #7941 of 9018 Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I've now tried everything and nothing works very well to stop glitches at maximum stress. Tried the jumper on the new drive. Tried a direct connection, i.e., no case, just a straight power into the bare drive and Sata-Esata out to the DVR. Glitches remain.

I guess the next step is to ditch the Caviar Green and go with the Black.

Quick question. Can I leave recordings on the Green and start recordings on the Black and then later watch and clear out the Green? Pretty hard to get the external cleared out while you need to record new programming. I assume I can use both expternals but just wanted to make sure.
post #7942 of 9018 Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Okay, I've now tried everything and nothing works very well to stop glitches at maximum stress. Tried the jumper on the new drive. Tried a direct connection, i.e., no case, just a straight power into the bare drive and Sata-Esata out to the DVR. Glitches remain.

I guess the next step is to ditch the Caviar Green and go with the Black.

Quick question. Can I leave recordings on the Green and start recordings on the Black and then later watch and clear out the Green? Pretty hard to get the external cleared out while you need to record new programming. I assume I can use both externals but just wanted to make sure.

Yes, you should be able to swap drives back and forth. At least I was able to with my DVR. SA8240HDC SARA v1.90.5.a113
Try the Caviar Black with the direct connection and let us know how that works. I was not able to get my DVR to work without glitches using the Caviar Blue using a direct connection.

post #7943 of 9018 Old 02-19-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

In my "proof of concept" experiment, I used my most unreliable and noisy SATA drive. I am considering replacing the drive with a better unit.

Is there a recommended method to transfer the content from the old drive to a new drive?
post #7944 of 9018 Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

In my "proof of concept" experiment, I used my most unreliable and noisy SATA drive. I am considering replacing the drive with a better unit.

Is there a recommended method to transfer the content from the old drive to a new drive?

First, was your "proof of concept" experiment successful over time, without glitches?
Second, a new drive and a fresh formatting by the DVR is your best shot at success, and I believe that drive should be a WD Caviar Black, it has two processors and 32MB cache, my direct connect external setup has worked flawlessly for a couple of weeks now.
http://baseportal.com/baseportal/xna...b=main&Id==482

As noted above you can always swap drives back and forth to access recorded content. I am even able to hot swap the already formatted harddrives.

post #7945 of 9018 Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

Since the DVR uses a non-standard format, "HDD mirroring" routines
running under Windows (e.g. Norton Ghost) may or may not work.

Self-booting HDD Disk Utilities are usually downloadable from the
HDD manufacturer's website. You are looking for a utility that does
a track-by-track copy (aka "clone"). I would try this FIRST.....

Old General Purpose Disk Utilities running under DOS 5.0 would need
to have the manufacturer's disk driver software installed in order to
(hopefully) "see" the large disk sizes....but other problems may arise...

You might also research Disk Utilities that run under LINUX.

I don't recall anyone actually trying this....
And then there be the issue of whether you can clone one HDD
onto a much larger HDD and not be limited to the original disk size....

Apricot engineer said that in their lab they swapped DVR Expanders
all the time....this was a few years ago, under PASSPORT...
And Bryan_CoxPHX says he swaps HDD's under SARA....
Since HDD is controlled by the common, underlying PowerTV RTOS,
I would expect this would not be a problem using MDN NAVIGATOR,
which is, after all, just a display driver.

Note: I remain skeptical whether ODN NAVIGATOR will ever work right
with SATA in the 8300HDC....apparently it's too much of a time hog....
resulting in either glitches....or hangups....in all but a couple boxes....
post #7946 of 9018 Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

I don't recall anyone actually trying this....
And then there be the issue of whether you can clone one HDD
onto a much larger HDD and not be limited to the original disk size....

Actually many people have done it successfully. And how to do it is ... somewhere in this thread. I REALLY meant to link to it from the database page, but apparently never got around to it.

You do need to use special software, if I remember correctly the software in question is available for a free 30 day trial.

xnappo

[Found it!] http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...57&postcount=1

and for grins:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post14314149
post #7947 of 9018 Old 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

First of all, thank you to all of those who posted these very helpful replies. Once again, the AVS Forum community comes through.

To answer a previous question, I purchased a cheapo SATA box from Monoprice about 8 months ago. I determined that the drive would be compatible based on some earlier posts on this forum. I had to do that because my Seagate 750 gb sata drive turned out to be incompatible. Interestingly, the Seagate works fine with XP but not Windows 7. My PC dual boots, so there is a workaround when I need it.

Yes, the cheapo enclosure does in fact work. But as noted earlier, I put an old, noisy and likely to fail (soon) drive into the enclosure. It was recognized by the 8300HD, which did format the device, and after a few boots the available space has increased.

I do not know if the drive works "reliably" yet, as I only got it running two days ago. I did record a bunch of "junk" to test it, and will play with it this weekend. But I am assuming that all is well, so my next step would be to put in a better quality drive.

I get a kick out of Comcast. I called them a while ago, while still fiddling with the Seagate drive. They adamantly insisted that an external drive would not work. I would understand if they said "unsupported"....but to say it will not work when it clearly does is an unusual stance to take, in my opinion.

I will keep testing in the meantime.
post #7948 of 9018 Old 02-19-2010, 03:54 PM

After reviewing this thread and the associated database, I purchased a Vantex NexStar 3 and a WD Caviar Green 1TB (TSD-1000EADS) HD. I installed the HD in the enclosure, un-plugged the 8300HD, connected and powerered up the external drive, plugged the 8300HD back in and voila! The 8300HD recognized the external HD and asked to press A to format. After the format was complete I checked the amount of recording space that was used and it was still at 65%, so I re-booted the 8300HD again. This time I got a message saying the external drive was connected and working. After the re-boot was complete a check of the used space revealed that I am now using only 8% of the available space. Total cost: $124.98 and less than 15 minutes of assembly and installation. I had not seen much info from others on the TWC New England system, so thought I'd post this in case anyone is interested. I will also try to add this info to the database.
post #7949 of 9018 Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you stress tested your setup? I have the exact same setup and I get glitches when I record two HD programs while watching a recorded HD program. Works great when recording one program at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappee View Post

After reviewing this thread and the associated database, I purchased a Vantex NexStar 3 and a WD Caviar Green 1TB (TSD-1000EADS) HD. I installed the HD in the enclosure, un-plugged the 8300HD, connected and powerered up the external drive, plugged the 8300HD back in and voila! The 8300HD recognized the external HD and asked to press A to format. After the format was complete I checked the amount of recording space that was used and it was still at 65%, so I re-booted the 8300HD again. This time I got a message saying the external drive was connected and working. After the re-boot was complete a check of the used space revealed that I am now using only 8% of the available space. Total cost: $124.98 and less than 15 minutes of assembly and installation. I had not seen much info from others on the TWC New England system, so thought I'd post this in case anyone is interested. I will also try to add this info to the database.

post #7950 of 9018 Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 PM

I bought a WD Caviar Black 1TB drive and a ThermalTake Max 4 enclosure (I liked the cooling in this enclosure since it will be running 24/7) for my 8300 (SARA). Plugged it in, connected it to the (unplugged) DVR and rebooted. The first reboot got me a message that the external recording device wasn't working properly. I rebooted and got the message allowing me to format the drive, but the reported percentage of space used remained unchanged.

Rebooted once again and got the message telling me that the HD was working with the DVR and the percentage dropped from 38% to 4% (!).

So far, so good. No recordings yet to confirm everything is working without glitches, but the first hurdles are cleared.

Thanks a million to this forum for all the invaluable advice and information. You guys rock!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page