8300HD and External SATA - It Works!! - Page 268 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8011 of 9018 Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You may need to do a little research on other sites about why your computer is not recognizing the drive and allowing you to proceed with a format. I do remember seeing similar problems when I was trying to solve a somewhat related problem I was having.

I used this site with success: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-US/categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolombowski View Post

I have Windows 7 on my laptop and Vista and XP on desk tops. The drive does not appear in my computer. Yet it does show up in device manager but I think device manager tracks drivers. When I plug the USB in the message shows that Windows has installed the driver for a USB Mass Storage Device. But it does not show the drive in my computer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 9018 Old 03-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I had to swap out to a new 8300HD and the new DVR does not read my 1TB Apricorn DVR Expander. When I boot up I get the message that it is connected to an external hard drive but it does not add capacity. I want to format the Apricorn and I have tried connecting it to my computer via the USB port. It shows up in the device manager but not in my computer. I can't find a way to reformat it.

Any advice on how to reformat it or get the 8300HD (SARA) to add the recording capacity?

I just go into Computer Management under Administrative Tools and find the drive. Then you have to initialize it before you can format it.
post #8013 of 9018 Old 03-31-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post

I just go into Computer Management under Administrative Tools and find the drive. Then you have to initialize it before you can format it.

When you say Computer Management can I get to the Administrative Tools through the Control Panel?

You know, a guy could get into this HT thing and drop a couple of bucks!
post #8014 of 9018 Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=dgolombowski;18412007]When you say Computer Management can I get to the Administrative Tools through the Control Panel?[/QUOTE

Yes, either there or thru your Programs list.
post #8015 of 9018 Old 03-31-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

When you say Computer Management can I get to the Administrative Tools through the Control Panel?

When first connected the drive will probably show up as Unrecognized Volume or New Volume.
Yes, Win7 - Control Panel\\All Control Panel Items\\Administrative Tools\\Computer Management - Under Storage, select Manage, select Disk Management (If your ext. HDD is not listed, right click and select Refresh and Rescan Disks), Right click on the appropriate disk, [(Disk 0 is your main System Disk leave it alone!!!), If you only have one HDD in and none attached to your computer normally, then the ext. HDD will be Disk 1, If you have a total of two HDDs in and/or attached to your computer normally, then the ext. HDD will be Disk 2, and so on.], Initialize then Format, a quick Format in any file type is fine.

Or
In both Windows 7 and XP Pro, right click on Computer (or My Computer), select Manage, Under Storage, select Disk Management (If your ext. HDD is not listed, right click and select Refresh and Rescan Disks), Right click on the appropriate disk, [(Disk 0 is your main System Disk leave it alone!!!), If you only have one HDD in and none attached to your computer normally, then the ext. HDD will be Disk 1, If you have a total of two HDDs in and/or attached to your computer normally, then the ext. HDD will be Disk 2, and so on.], Initialize then Format, a quick Format in any file type is fine.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #8016 of 9018 Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that's all fine, however, I don't understand why his drive doesn't show up under "computer". I wonder if it will indeed show up here.

BTW, I think the drives may be lettered rather than numbered, I know mine are. The main drive is "C". Then the restore partition is D. Another drive I put into the case is "F". My external is all the way down to "L". I have no idea why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

When first connected the drive will probably show up as Unrecognized Volume or New Volume.
Yes, Win7 - Control Panel\\All Control Panel Items\\Administrative Tools\\Computer Management - Under Storage, select Manage, select Disk Management (If your ext. HDD is not listed, right click and select Refresh and Rescan Disks), Right click on the appropriate disk, [(Disk 0 is your main System Disk leave it alone!!!), If you only have one HDD in and none attached to your computer normally, then the ext. HDD will be Disk 1, If you have a total of two HDDs in and/or attached to your computer normally, then the ext. HDD will be Disk 2, and so on.], Initialize then Format, a quick Format in any file type is fine.

Or
In both Windows 7 and XP Pro, right click on Computer (or My Computer), select Manage, Under Storage, select Disk Management (If your ext. HDD is not listed, right click and select Refresh and Rescan Disks), Right click on the appropriate disk, [(Disk 0 is your main System Disk leave it alone!!!), If you only have one HDD in and none attached to your computer normally, then the ext. HDD will be Disk 1, If you have a total of two HDDs in and/or attached to your computer normally, then the ext. HDD will be Disk 2, and so on.], Initialize then Format, a quick Format in any file type is fine.

post #8017 of 9018 Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

In Windows 7 - Control Panel\\All Control Panel Items\\Administrative Tools\\Computer Management - Under Storage, select Manage, select Disk Management (If your ext. HDD is not listed, right click and select Refresh and Rescan Disks), Right click on the appropriate disk, [(Disk 0 is your main System Disk leave it alone!!!), If you only have one HDD in and none attached to your computer normally, then the ext. HDD will be Disk 1, If you have a total of two HDDs in and/or attached to your computer normally, then the ext. HDD will be Disk 2, and so on.], Initialize then Format, a quick Format in any file type is fine.

Or

This isn't Windows Explorer, The reason it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer is because the drive has an unrecognized file format, (Proprietary DVR file format, ITFS & AVFS)
It will show up in the Computer Management Console though, When first connected the drive will show up as Unknown, Not Initialized Disk, (Image shown in last image - "DVR_Drive_to_Format.jpg"). And will need to first be Initialized, then formatted. See Images Below, in the Computer Management Console drives are numbered Disk 0 thru Disk x, (Disk x being one less than the total number of connected disks)
Windows 7 Home Premium - DVR Drive not attached

Windows XP Pro SP3 - DVR Drive not attached

Windows 7 - DVR Drive is attached - Disk 1, Unknown, Not Initialized Disk
In this image the DVR drive that needs formatted shows as Disk 1, Unknown, Not Initialized, Unallocated, Right click select Initialize Disk, then Format.

Windows 7 DVR Drive is attached - Disk 1, Unknown, Not Initialized Disk
In this image the DVR drive that needs formatted shows as Disk 1, Unknown, Not Initialized, Unallocated, Right click select Initialize Disk, then Format.
LL
LL
LL

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #8018 of 9018 Old 04-01-2010, 07:53 AM

I never got it to appear in computer management so I did a Google search and found a HP disc format program. My Vista desktop is a HP so I installed it there and the program recognized the drive. I did a quick format to FTFS. I had to go to work so I didn't get a chance to see if it now shows up in My Computer. From what I remember any format will do and the 8300HD will request to format the drive when I reconnect it. I will reconnect it to the DVR tonight and hopefully I am back up and running.

Although I got another 8300HD DVR I am concerned that this one will have updated firmware or software that blocks the use of the SATA drive. Scientific Atlanta still has use of an additional SATA drive in their support documents so I hope I am OK.

You know, a guy could get into this HT thing and drop a couple of bucks!
post #8019 of 9018 Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a power surge on Tuesday Eve, 3/30/10 while watching TV and recording 2 shows, since then I have been having some glitching during recordings. I have rebooted a few times and still I am getting a few glitches. Not sure if it is my DVR or Ext HDD. I hate to reformat my HDDs, But if it continues I'll have to try. My signal level is down to between -6 and -8dBmV, perhaps I'll try removing my splitter to the TV first to get those power levels back up .

I'll Report back.

Updated 04/06/10: I removed the splitter today, powered everything down and rebooted, signal level now at 0dB, glitching seems to have stopped.

Updated 04/05/10: Glitching has mostly stopped and I have not done anything other than reboot a few times. Power level still at -6dBmV, I have not removed the splitter.

post #8020 of 9018 Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 PM

IT WORKS!!

I put together external HD today using Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk SATA II WD1001FALS and Vantec NexStar 3 NST-360SU-BK Enclosure. I am with Cox in Phoenix running SARA on an 8300HD made in 02/2006. The setup runs just like Bryan_CoxPHX, BIGA$$TV and others have said except after formatting I had to boot again as others have described. I went from 53% to 5%.

My reasons building my own instead of going with the WD DVR Expander were easy after reading the problems involved (on Amazon as well as this site) with the Expander glitching. After looking at the comparisons (new eeg) the Caviar Black and noting that the WD 1T isnt even supported I could not figure out why not pay the same money for a far superior drive?
So far Ive recorded 2 HD shows while watching a HD recording with absolutely no glitches at all.

Im no techie believe me, if i can do it anyone can.
post #8021 of 9018 Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a power surge on Tuesday Eve, 3/30/10 while watching TV and recording 2 shows, since then I have been having some glitching during recordings. I have rebooted a few times and still I am getting a few glitches. Not sure if it is my DVR or Ext HDD. I hate to reformat my HDDs, But if it continues I'll have to try. My signal level is down to between -6 and -8dBmV, perhaps I'll try removing my splitter to the TV first to get those power levels back up .

I'll Report back.

Try powering down and recording without the Ext HDD and see how it goes, then compare again with the drive reconnected. Many a power supply has been marginal after a power surge and that will definitely cause glitching on Ext HDDs. If it's a common enough voltage and current capacity, you might have another one laying around as a test. I have a few that work and I use as a troubleshooting tool. They are usually the first thing to fail due to constant on and heat buildup, etc.

vegggas
post #8022 of 9018 Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimirrx View Post

IT WORKS!!

I put together external HD today using Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk SATA II WD1001FALS and Vantec NexStar 3 NST-360SU-BK Enclosure. I am with Cox in Phoenix running SARA on an 8300HD made in 02/2006. The setup runs just like Bryan_CoxPHX, BIGA$$TV and others have said except after formatting I had to boot again as others have described. I went from 53% to 5%.

My reasons building my own instead of going with the WD DVR Expander were easy after reading the problems involved (on Amazon as well as this site) with the Expander glitching. After looking at the comparisons (new eeg) the Caviar Black and noting that the WD 1T isnt even supported I could not figure out why not pay the same money for a far superior drive?
So far Ive recorded 2 HD shows while watching a HD recording with absolutely no glitches at all.

Im no techie believe me, if i can do it anyone can.

Many people complaining of the WD kit were the ones that got an early 1st gen model of the 1TB. Others, including WD, say it's not supported on the HDC or glitches on the 8300 series and is due to the overwhelming number of users in TW markets where there software is crippling the port. Those running SARA or Passport don't have as many problems.

vegggas
post #8023 of 9018 Old 04-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is, somewhat, a matter of semantics, but it's an important distinction: To the best of my knowledge no version of Navigator blocks the use of SATA external drives. There are several hardware/software combinations where SATA external drives do not work properly, but that is due to bugs or various incompatibilities rather than any explicit decision to block external drives. ...at least so far.

-barry

Quote:

Although I got another 8300HD DVR I am concerned that this one will have updated firmware or software that blocks the use of the SATA drive. Scientific Atlanta still has use of an additional SATA drive in their support documents so I hope I am OK.

post #8024 of 9018 Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margoba View Post

This is, somewhat, a matter of semantics, but it's an important distinction: To the best of my knowledge no version of Navigator blocks the use of SATA external drives. There are several hardware/software combinations where SATA external drives do not work properly, but that is due to bugs or various incompatibilities rather than any explicit decision to block external drives. ...at least so far.

-barry

It's not the hardware combinations that makes it incompatible with SATA drives because the hardware works fine with SARA software. The version of Navigator software they use on the HDC series DVRs fails every time. The Version of Navigator software they use on the HD series DVRs has at least a chance of working, although each release seems to offer either a new bug, or it may stop working completely.
Barring a Bad box where the SATA port has been damaged, It's always the software.

vegggas
post #8025 of 9018 Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

Barring a Bad box where the SATA port has been damaged, It's always the software.

vegggas

This is confusing - but it is better to say that if it is a drive/case known to work with SARA/Passport then it is always the software.

xnappo
post #8026 of 9018 Old 04-02-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

vegggas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

This is confusing - but it is better to say that if it is a drive/case known to work with SARA/Passport then it is always the software.

xnappo

Actually any approved expander kit will work with SARA software, unless the SATA port is damaged. No need to confuse things with trying to mix and match a case, drive and cable combination not designed to be running 24/7. Attempting to homebrew it and not following the manufacturers (STB and Drive kits) instructions can damage the SATA port, or the interface causing more problems.

vegggas
post #8027 of 9018 Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I recently recommended the 1TB WD eSATA HDD to a friend of mine who has the 8300HD from Cablevision and although it worked immediately, he's getting a fair amount of stuttering. As soon as he disconnects it, anything recorded on the 8300HD drive plays perfectly.

Can someone save me the time of combing through this very long thread and tell me why this might be happening? He was ecstatic about having the extra capacity but the stuttering on playback isn't acceptable to him and he's ready to return it...so, any suggestions I can pass on to him before he gives up on it?

TIA

Vin
post #8028 of 9018 Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

I recently recommended the 1TB WD eSATA HDD to a friend of mine who has the 8300HD from Cablevision and although it worked immediately, he's getting a fair amount of stuttering. As soon as he disconnects it, anything recorded on the 8300HD drive plays perfectly.

Can someone save me the time of combing through this very long thread and tell me why this might be happening? He was ecstatic about having the extra capacity but the stuttering on playback isn't acceptable to him and he's ready to return it...so, any suggestions I can pass on to him before he gives up on it?

TIA

He should try to get a second box to test with. His current box may have had the SATA port damaged or static spiked during installation. I say to get a second box for testing so that he can swap out and compare the two and keep the better one, or both if desired.
Note: Making or breaking the SATA connection with power on to either device can damage the chipset and cause these kinds of problems. The instructions specifically say to power down both devices before making the SATA connections.

vegggas
post #8029 of 9018 Old 04-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

He should try to get a second box to test with. His current box may have had the SATA port damaged or static spiked during installation. I say to get a second box for testing so that he can swap out and compare the two and keep the better one, or both if desired.
Note: Making or breaking the SATA connection with power on to either device can damage the chipset and cause these kinds of problems. The instructions specifically say to power down both devices before making the SATA connections.

vegggas

Thanks vegggas, these are the instructions I had given him:

To install the drive:
1. Turn off the DVR (hit the power button on the front of the unit)
2. Connect the eSATA cable to the drive and to the DVR (the eSATA connection is on the back)
3. Turn on the drive (if it has a power switch; otherwise just plug it in)
4. Turn on the DVR. At this point, you will be prompted by the DVR on your TV that a new drive has been attached and asked if you want to format the drive. You'll indicate "Yes" by hitting the yellow A (triangular) button on the DVR remote. A message will come up stating that the drive is being formatted.
5. After a few minutes, the message will disappear and you're all set.

He said he followed them to a tee and the drive was up and running in no time. He thought everything was perfect until he started seeing the stuttering on playback.

I told him a replacement DVR might be the solution but it isn't likely he'll pursue it.

Thanks again.

Vin
post #8030 of 9018 Old 04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Attempting to homebrew it and not following the manufacturers (STB and Drive kits) instructions can damage the SATA port, or the interface causing more problems.

vegggas

PPFFFFFFTTTT! Hahahaha.

xnappo
post #8031 of 9018 Old 04-06-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

vegggas

Not a bad idea to try a second DVR, but if the stuttering/glitching still occurs, return the WD DVR expander and build your own, using Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1001FALS and Vantec NexStar 3 NST-360SU-BK Enclosure (I have recommended this set-up and checked back on others using this set-up and they are having no glitches), or my set-up Direct Connection with no enclosure, (Recommended only if you're comfortable having a bare drive on your shelf, simply place it on a thick mouse pad).

Although I do highly respect vegggas's opinions, I simply disagree on the topic of eSATA expansion. From my own experience, I got glitches using the WD Cavier Blue series w/ Direct connection, and no glitching with the Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB WD1001FALS w/ Direct connection.

post #8032 of 9018 Old 04-06-2010, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

To install the drive:
2. Connect the eSATA cable to the drive and to the DVR (the eSATA connection is on the back)
4. Turn on the DVR. At this point, you will be prompted by the DVR on your TV that a new drive has been attached and asked if you want to format the drive. You'll indicate "Yes" by hitting the yellow A (triangular) button on the DVR remote. A message will come up stating that the drive is being formatted.

He said he followed them to a tee and the drive was up and running in no time. He thought everything was perfect until he started seeing the stuttering on playback.

I told him a replacement DVR might be the solution but it isn't likely he'll pursue it.

Thanks again.

I believe that you are supposed to not only turn off the DVR/STB but also unplug it before making the eSATA connection. At least that's what my WD My DVR Expander instructions said.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #8033 of 9018 Old 04-06-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Good point. I know with my set up, you HAVE to unplug the STB to even get it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

I believe that you are supposed to not only turn off the DVR/STB but also unplug it before making the eSATA connection. At least that's what my WD My DVR Expander instructions said.

post #8034 of 9018 Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To install the drive:

Thanks again.

Wrong instructions. He probably spiked or damaged the SATA port by not powering down the DVR and then REMOVING the power cord first. The instructions are on a large sheet with the drive, power supply and SATA cable.
Link to PDF of official WD instructionshttp://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...079-701077.pdf

vegggas
post #8035 of 9018 Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Attempting to homebrew it and not following the manufacturers (STB and Drive kits) instructions can damage the SATA port, or the interface causing more problems.

vegggas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

PPFFFFFFTTTT! Hahahaha.

xnappo

Glad to see you agree xnappo, but we shouldn't laugh at them for not following the instructions!
Not following the manufacturers instructions, probably damaged the sata port.
Had they followed the manufacturers instructions, as I stated, it probably would have worked. Now it's another damaged box, destined to have issues trying to use the sata port.

vegggas
post #8036 of 9018 Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not a bad idea to try a second DVR, but if the stuttering/glitching still occurs, return the WD DVR expander and build your own, using Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1001FALS and Vantec NexStar 3 NST-360SU-BK Enclosure (I have recommended this set-up and checked back on others using this set-up and they are having no glitches), or my set-up Direct Connection with no enclosure, (Recommended only if you're comfortable having a bare drive on your shelf, simply place it on a thick mouse pad).

Although I do highly respect vegggas's opinions, I simply disagree on the topic of eSATA expansion. From my own experience, I got glitches using the WD Cavier Blue series w/ Direct connection, and no glitching with the Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB WD1001FALS w/ Direct connection.

It sounds like you made your own homebrew kit with a blue drive, that failed the first time, then chose a different drive and finally got a working solution. Are you saying you never tried a DVR Expander kit to day it didn't work? It is possible that you may have discharged some static charge in your DVR circuitry and that the next drive connected "seemed" to work. I wouldn't trust the DVR if was damaged earlier and get a replacement that worked from the start. Just my opinion.

vegggas
post #8037 of 9018 Old 04-07-2010, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds like you made your own homebrew kit with a blue drive, that failed the first time, then chose a different drive and finally got a working solution. Are you saying you never tried a DVR Expander kit to day it didn't work? It is possible that you may have discharged some static charge in your DVR circuitry and that the next drive connected "seemed" to work. I wouldn't trust the DVR if was damaged earlier and get a replacement that worked from the start. Just my opinion.

vegggas

Before moving to the Black Cavier, I disconnected everything from the DVR (power, coax, all audio and video connections) and let it sit for over 12 hours and retried the Blue Caviar, still too glitchy.

I admit, I have never tried a WD DVR expander, as I said in a prior post, when I was shopping for a WD DVR expander, (shortly after the first of the year) They were not available on any online site including WD, and local stores, NewEgg, specifically at that time listed them as discontinued. That is when I ran across this thread. My current "Homebrew" kit works flawlessly, I have no reason to believe my eSATA port is damaged in any way. The only problems I encountered were shortly after a power surge (last week). But that seemed to correct itself within a few days, and a few reboots, and the removal of a coax splitter.

It was only after I built my own, that I discovered all the complaints regarding the WD DVR Expander. I already posted this but I'll post it again for reference.

Apricorn specifically states: "DVR Expander does not work with Scientific Atlanta 8300-HDC models, only HD models are supported" - http://www.apricorn.com/product_deta...e=family&id=55

Western Digital's site does not list HDC boxes as compatible: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=334
Also,
WD Caviar Black = 5 Year Warranty
WD DVR Expander = 3 Year Warranty (WD-AV series HDD)

post #8038 of 9018 Old 04-07-2010, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Before moving to the Black Cavier, I disconnected everything from the DVR (power, coax, all audio and video connections) and let it sit for over 12 hours and retried the Blue Caviar, still too glitchy.

I admit, I have never tried a WD DVR expander, as I said in a prior post, when I was shopping for a WD DVR expander, (shortly after the first of the year) They were not available on any online site including WD, and local stores, NewEgg, specifically at that time listed them as discontinued. That is when I ran across this thread. My current "Homebrew" kit works flawlessly, I have no reason to believe my eSATA port is damaged in any way. The only problems I encountered were shortly after a power surge (last week). But that seemed to correct itself within a few days, and a few reboots, and the removal of a coax splitter.

It was only after I built my own, that I discovered all the complaints regarding the WD DVR Expander. I already posted this but I'll post it again for reference.

Apricorn specifically states: "DVR Expander does not work with Scientific Atlanta 8300-HDC models, only HD models are supported" - http://www.apricorn.com/product_deta...e=family&id=55

Western Digital's site does not list HDC boxes as compatible: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=334
Also,
WD Caviar Black = 5 Year Warranty
WD DVR Expander = 3 Year Warranty (WD-AV series HDD)

I wouldn't have tried the Blue series, apparently that didn't work too well for DVR applications.
And as I had explained earlier, the HD and HDC models are exactly the same for eSATA connectivity. The big difference is that SA's biggest customer, Time Warner cable, wrote their own software versions specifically for the 8300HD (with less memory) and the HDC (with more memory). TWC's own software left the functionality of the HDC's SATA port somewhat disabled, while the version written for the HD still appeared to work ok. This was the major reason that DVR expander companies put the disclaimer on their website. SA's website specifically lists the WD DVR expander as working on all the 8300 and 8240 series DVR's, including the SD, SDC, HD, HDC, and Multiroom versions of DVR's. Again, the software is the limiting factor and SA's own SARA software works fine with eSATA Expanders. You will also notice that Tivo will not support any other external connection, other than the WD DVR expander, because it is specifically designed to work for DVR's multi I/O streaming and 24 hour continuous use without buffer hiccups.
For the record, most of my customers have bought their expanders from brick and mortar locations like Best Buy, Target, Wal-mart, Staples and Costco for typically less than $100.

vegggas
post #8039 of 9018 Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

What ever version DVR Expander one chooses to go with is fine, as long as it works for them. My set-up works great, I'm not going to go out and purchase a WD DVR Expander anytime soon. And as for the Blue Cavier, I returned it and paid the difference for the Black Cavier.

post #8040 of 9018 Old 04-07-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Had they followed the manufacturers instructions, as I stated, it probably would have worked. Now it's another damaged box, destined to have issues trying to use the sata port.

vegggas

I completely disagree with the 'damage' part of your argument. Completely and totally. It is strange, I usually agree with you. Let's leave it be though.

I do agree that using a pre-packaged solution is the easiest thing to do if you are willing to spend a bit more.

xnappo
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page