Old 11-06-2010, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_erv View Post

I have been using the same DVR the entire time. I am using this dvr leased from Charter. I do not know what operating system that it is running. I guess that I will find out when the used storage goes over 1TB to actually confirm it.

You can look at the very first post in this thread to determine your DVR Software.

Some Charter markets are using SARA, Chater is rolling out a New Guide the same as Cox is, The New Guide is Rovi Passport Echo.

Image of SARA (Scientific Atlanta Resident Application)

============================================================ ======

Image of Rovi Passport Echo 3.1 (looks very similar to TWC Navigator, But the two are very different)

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

You can look at the very first post in this thread to determine your DVR Software.

Some Charter markets are using SARA, Chater is rolling out a New Guide the same as Cox is, The New Guide is Rovi Passport Echo.

Image of SARA (Scientific Atlanta Resident Application)

============================================================ ======

Image of Rovi Passport Echo 3.1 (looks very similar to TWC Navigator, But the two are very different)

Based on that first post, my system is using SARA v1.89.31.1. As this thread may indicate (changes were made to the 8300HD), I prefer the older box that does not have the change. Maybe the change was only on the 8300HDC.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:31 PM

I've been lurking here for a while, trying to decide what to do. Cox in LV is now running Passport Echo 3.1.084. I finally took the plunge, and bought a 1tb WD Cavier WD1002FAEX, a Link Data 6' Sate to Esata cable, and PA-FNWSP5 fan splitter connector ( All from Frys in LV). I used an old ATX computer Power Supply and case w/ fan for my enclosure.
Installed the drive in the computer case, tied the Green and Black wires together so the Power Supply's on/off switch would work, and used the splitter to drive the Enclosure Fan from one of the Disk Drive power connectors. Turned the enclosure on , and then connected the Esata connector to the cable box, which was already powered up. Got the
message to format the hard drive, did so, and was off and running. No glitches at all. No need to power down the cable box and restart.

Diagnostic screen was accessed via the instructions to press Select and Exit on the box until DIAG appeared, and then press Exit. Diagnostic appeard on chanell 611. Was able to view the online drives and see that the 1tb was shown available, and my percent available went from 37% to 92%.

Thanks for all the previous inputs that made this so easy.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cox's New Guide IPG (Passport Echo 3.1) is always buffering the last two channels you tuned to. Even with the DVR turned OFF.

Unless you Select in Settings - Hard Drive Power Management:
Do one of the following:
• If you want the power to the hard drive to remain on, highlight the Always On option.
• If you want the power to the hard drive to turn off one minute after the set-top box turns off, highlight the On with Set-top option.

However, regardless of which setting you choose I believe the Ext. HDD will always be powered and spinning, just not buffering.

Quote:

Hard Drive Power Management

To set whether the hard disk drive powers off one minute after the set-top box, or remains on all the time:
1) Press the SETTINGS key.

Passport Echo displays the Quick Settings menu.

2) Press the A key.

Passport Echo displays the General Settings menu.

3) Press the PAGE - or + key repeatedly to highlight the Accessories category.
  • If the Accessories category is not expanded, press SELECT.
  • The Accessories category will expand to display various preferences (e.g., AC Outlet Use, RF Output, Power Manager and Set-top Clock).
4) Press the DOWN ARROW key to highlight the Power Manager preference.

The currently-selected Power Manager setting is displayed.

5) Press the RIGHT ARROW key to move to the Options column.

The Options column displays two options:

• Hard Drive Power
  • Settop Power
6) Press the UP or DOWN ARROW key to highlight the Hard Drive Power option.
7) Press SELECT.

The State column displays the following options:

• Always On
  • On with Set-top
8) Do one of the following:
  • If you want the power to the hard drive to remain on, highlight the Always On option.
  • If you want the power to the hard drive to turn off one minute after the set-top box turns off, highlight the On with Set-top option.
9) Press SELECT.
10) Press the EXIT key to exit the General Settings menu.

With the Power Manager set to "Hard drive on with settop" my DVR does indeed turn off both the Internal and External HDDs approx. 1 minute after DVR shutdown. Approx. 2-2.5 minutes before a Scheduled Recording with the DVR OFF, Both HDDs get powered up for that Recording.

Nice feature of the New Cox Passport IPG, will certainly save both power and wear on the External HDD, by not having it spinning 24/7 anymore.

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:

With the Power Manager set to "Hard drive on with settop" the DVR does indeed turn off both the Internal and External HDDs approx. 1 minute after DVR shutdown. Approx. 1 minute before a Scheduled Recording with the DVR OFF, Both HDDs get powered up for that Recording.

Nice feature of the New Cox Passport IPG, will certainly save both power and wear on the External HDD, by not having it spinning 24/7 anymore.

Is there any reason to leave it on?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post

Is there any reason to leave it on?

I cannot think of one.

Unless you wanted to be able to turn the DVR ON and be able to rewind the last two channels that you had tuned. But those channels would be different if a Scheduled Recording had taken place while OFF.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With the Power Manager set to "Hard drive on with settop" the DVR does indeed turn off both the Internal and External HDDs approx. 1 minute after DVR shutdown. Approx. 1 minute before a Scheduled Recording with the DVR OFF, Both HDDs get powered up for that Recording.

I posted this in the main ROVI DVR thread, but it should be repeated here.

Whoa! Slow down there a moment. The eSATA chipset does NOT have this capability. The only thing the eSATA port can do is shut down when the STB is powered off. Most likely, your particular Hard Drive is sensing the port status and shutting down on it's own due to a power saving feature of the drive.
I would say that this might be a particularly bad scenario if the drive doesn't sense the power status and then never spins up to record a program while it's off.

vegggas
Old 11-10-2010, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

I posted this in the main ROVI DVR thread, but it should be repeated here.

Whoa! Slow down there a moment. The eSATA chipset does NOT have this capability. The only thing the eSATA port can do is shut down when the STB is powered off. Most likely, your particular Hard Drive is sensing the port status and shutting down on it's own due to a power saving feature of the drive.
I would say that this might be a particularly bad scenario if the drive doesn't sense the power status and then never spins up to record a program while it's off.

vegggas

At Your Own Risk...Do not try this at home.

Well, I will be the beta tester and let you know. So far after several tests it has shut down and started up, right along with the internal drive, timing is nearly exact. Mine is a bare HDD set-up w/ no enclosure.

EDIT: For testing purposes, I have set two daily recurring 15min recordings, when I know the DVR will be OFF, one on a non-SDV channel, and one on a SDV channel. I will report back every so often or if a recording does not complete.
Have run a few 5min tests and my actual HDDs power up at 2-2.5min prior to the recording start time, not the appox. 1min I previously stated, that was just on shut down.

Update 11/11/10: Both 15min test recordings for this date completed successfully.
One minor issue is when you first power-up the DVR, for watching, You MUST wait a minute or two for the Ext HDD to spin-up before you attempt to use the guide or change channels. The Guide may freeze and need rebooting if you don't.

Update 11/12/10: Both 15min test recordings for this date completed successfully.

Update 11/14/10: All test and regular Scheduled Recording have completed successfully.
Whatever the reason, my particular DVR and external HDD combo, work just fine with the setting "Hard drive on with settop".

Update 11/29/10: All test and regular Scheduled Recording have completed successfully.
Whatever the reason, my particular DVR and external HDD combo, work just fine with the setting "Hard drive on with settop".

Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I will be the beta tester and let you know. So far after several tests it has shut down and started up, right along with the internal drive, timing is nearly exact. Mine is a bare HDD set-up w/ no enclosure.

I would just be aware that this is most likely due to your particular drive features and that will not be the case for every external drive. If there is a voltage sense for the port that triggers the drive, there is the possibility that it will not always sense that voltage trigger and fail to spin up. If a lot of drives have this feature, there may be people posting about random shows that did not record, and it may be a function of the external drive not spinning up during the record process. I'm not saying that it will fail, but there is a possibility of a low voltage connection not making a good contact at some point and needing to be physically reset by reseating the cable.

vegggas
Old 11-10-2010, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The symptom of a recording failing due to an external drive not working would manifest as seeing a recording in the list, but choosing it would immediately take you out of the recording because it can't access the stream. The drive was connected and created a larger volume, but when the stream was sent to the drive for storage it doesn't get stored and thus no recording.

vegggas
Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 PM

Just a quick post to add that Bryan_CoxPHX's setup works perfectly on my 8300HD on Time Warner Cable Los Angeles. I'm using a WD 640GB Caviar Black direct connected with no enclosure. 12V molex power adapter, Vantec heat sink, silicone drive protector, the whole works as spec'ed in his excellent .pdf instructions. Thanks, Bryan!

Edit to add: My HD 1080i recording capacity has gone from 20 hours to 100 hours. Niice!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borodeva View Post

Just a quick post to add that Bryan_CoxPHX's setup works perfectly on my 8300HD on Time Warner Cable Los Angeles. I'm using a WD 640GB Caviar Black direct connected with no enclosure. 12V molex power adapter, Vantec heat sink, silicone drive protector, the whole works as spec'ed in his excellent .pdf instructions. Thanks, Bryan!

Edit to add: My HD 1080i recording capacity has gone from 20 hours to 100 hours. Niice!

Most welcome,

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Update 11/11/10: Both 15min test recordings for this date completed successfully.
One minor issue is when you first power-up the DVR, for watching, You MUST wait a minute or two for the Ext HDD to spin-up before you attempt to use the guide or change channels. The Guide may freeze and need rebooting if you don't.

Quote:

I would just be aware that this is most likely due to your particular drive features and that will not be the case for every external drive....

Well it seems to work fine with my 1TB the Black Caviar external drive. I can hear both disks spin down and have had no problems with missed or poor recordings. Like Bryan states there is a slight delay at power up... but it's not a big deal.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:26 AM

Liked: 13
I can't get my previously working external eSata drive to connect to my 8240 HDC since the Passport Echo rollout about a month ago. I just called cox and they told me that the external drives were never supposed to work with the 8240 "it was a glitch that was probably corrected with the new software rollout"
A glitch? LMFAO, they took away a feature in my mind, hardly corrected a glitch.

They said the only boxes that will work with an external drive is the 8300 and they stopped making them in nov of 2009 and I *might* be able to find one at a local store but they have no way of checking who would have one in stock. What a friggin joke.

I checked the diag screen and it says eSata is enabled but it still won't recognize my esata drive. i am on Passport 3.0.185 here in Glendale, AZ.

Anyone else successful get an external drive working with Passport and the 8240 HDC ?

Thanks,
Trent
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentk View Post

I can't get my previously working external eSata drive to connect to my 8240 HDC since the Passport Echo rollout about a month ago. I just called cox and they told me that the external drives were never supposed to work with the 8240 "it was a glitch that was probably corrected with the new software rollout"
A glitch? LMFAO, they took away a feature in my mind, hardly corrected a glitch.

They said the only boxes that will work with an external drive is the 8300 and they stopped making them in nov of 2009 and I *might* be able to find one at a local store but they have no way of checking who would have one in stock. What a friggin joke.

I checked the diag screen and it says eSata is enabled but it still won't recognize my esata drive. i am on Passport 3.0.185 here in Glendale, AZ.

Anyone else successful get an external drive working with Passport and the 8240 HDC ?

Thanks,
Trent

External eSATA HDDs should work fine with an 8240HDC or any SA/Cisco DVR on the Cox network. I have had mine since Feb 2010 almost 1 year both with SARA and Passport. (it is true Cox does not "officially" support Ext HDD so they most likely won't help, but to state the 8240HDC does not work is false, it is true for Time Warner Cable running Navigator ODN though)

In my Diagnostic Menu (Channel 1999 in PHX) the following is displayed:
>Feature Authorization
>>SATA: YES (NO CHECK)

>DVR Info
>>Capacity 148.9 GB

>DVR AVFS
>>AV Size: 1076.4 GB
>>AV Capacity: 1076.4 GB

>SATA
>>SATA Status: Authorized

Check the Phoenix Thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...51563&page=318) we have tried to help one other person whose Ext HDD stopped working after Passport. I honestly don't know if his ever got working, he stopped posting.

One person In Oklahoma posted he got his working by simply hot-plugging the External with the DVR running.
Quote:

Got it fixed
Don't know why but with the DVR up and running I unplugged the power to the expander and the DVR popped up with the message that I had removed the ext drive and would have to restart the DVR but instead I just plugged the expander back in and after a couple of minutes the DVR asked if I would like to format the expander and now it all works. Did the same thing on the other DVR and it worked also

Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
Trent

Glenn - I think you have a bum piece of hardware somewhere. I'm in Phx with an 8240HDC and my external drive worked fine when I was migrated to the new system. But the "support" is flaky... before the migration, it took my three different STBs to find one that worked.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post

Glenn - I think you have a bum piece of hardware somewhere. I'm in Phx with an 8240HDC and my external drive worked fine when I was migrated to the new system. But the "support" is flaky... before the migration, it took my three different STBs to find one that worked.

I think Passport is slightly more flaky or finicky when it comes to an Ext HDD than SARA was. As I stated previously in the Phoenix forum, My 8240HDC has never shown me an onscreen message even acknowledging that an Ext HDD is connected. But of course it is and all my prior recordings play just fine, the space meter shows it, and the diagnostics show it.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, my diag screen does say that the sata port is authorized but it doesn't show that my drive is connected. I have tried unplugging the devices and connecting them together all the different ways i can think of.

Also, ever since I started fussing with the ext drive yesterday my 8240 has been very finicky, it froze yesterday and then the display started doing the weird 10-15 minute countdown like it was receiving an upgrade so I had to let it sit and finish the "upgrade", same thing happened to me this morning before I left for work.

I will read the phoenix thread and mess with it more when I get home tonight.

Thanks,
Trent
Old 12-06-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 50
My WD My DVR Expander has recently started to screw up (freezes, pixelates, etc)when recording two programs simultaneously. Tried powering down and restarting. Will see if that has any impact.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Old 12-06-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I did some testing today with my External HDDs and my 8240HDC.

I had two Ext HDDs that both worked with my DVR. Both drives had been formatted and recorded on back when I was on SARA.

I tested both drives today to make sure they both were recognized and worked as expected, and they did.

I them took one of the drives and reformatted it on my computer, so that when I reconnected it to the DVR it would see it as a new drive and ask to format it. Well that did not happen. No message from Passport of any kind. I have been trying for a couple hours trying every combination of DVR settings and hook-up sequences, and rebooting, but nothing. The drive will not format and is not recognized by the DVR. The other drive still is recognized and works fine. But again no onscreen message acknowledging the Ext HDD.

So obviously there is some sort of issue here in Phoenix at least. Makes no sense to me that an Ext HDD that was connected under SARA would work but not a new one.

I will keep trying and report back.

I tried a 3rd HDD that had never been hooked up to the DVR and still could not get it to format. Will still keep working on that.

I did take my working 1TB Ext. HDD and using G4L did a bit-by-bit clone to the 1TB Ext that I could not get to format. So now I have 2 identical External HDDs so that at least I have a back-up Ext in case I need one. The cloned HDD was recognized immediately and plays recordings fine. Still no on-screen message stating an Ext is attached.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:41 PM

Quick question on the 8300HD. If I buy an used working model off ebay and connect it to my cable at home (i have timewarner cable service in los angeles), do i need anything else? Would the used 8300HD from ebay replace my cable company issued 8300HD without any glitches?

The leasing fees for my unit is getting rediculously high. I now have to pay $18/month for the single HD-DVR rental besides the $39.99 monthly digital cable fees.

It's outrageous!!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruzo View Post
Quick question on the 8300HD. If I buy an used working model off ebay and connect it to my cable at home (i have timewarner cable service in los angeles), do i need anything else? Would the used 8300HD from ebay replace my cable company issued 8300HD without any glitches?

The leasing fees for my unit is getting rediculously high. I now have to pay $18/month for the single HD-DVR rental besides the $39.99 monthly digital cable fees.

It's outrageous!!
Beware...Most likely not. You would need the serial number of the DVR and then check with TWC to see if it is in their inventory, and also to make sure it was not reported missing, stolen or tied to anther account. TWC probably won't even give you that information. If TWC did not originally purchase the DVR from Cisco then they would not have the authorization key to provision the DVR.

Most sold on eBay are for Canadian Customers who can purchase their own DVR directly from Best Buy Canada.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your reply. If I can't get an used 8300HD to work, then what's my other alternative?

Ideally I like to keep the monthly cable fees under $40, but I can't do that if I have to shell out $18 per month to lease this aging behemoth.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruzo View Post

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your reply. If I can't get an used 8300HD to work, then what's my other alternative?

Ideally I like to keep the monthly cable fees under $40, but I can't do that if I have to shell out $18 per month to lease this aging behemoth.

a TiVo, a Moxi, or build an HTPC those are your only real options for a stand alone CableCard DVR.

TWC is going to charge you approx $35.00 to come out and install the CableCard, in either of the devices
  • TiVo = $0 Down and $20.00/mo + monthly TWC CableCard fee approx $3.00/mo
  • Moxi = $599.00 no monthly fee + monthly TWC CableCard fee approx $3.00/mo
  • HTPC = approx $600.00 to $1000.00 using a 4-Tuner Ceton Infinitv 4

Old 12-07-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
With the Power Manager set to "Hard drive on with settop" my DVR does indeed turn off both the Internal and External HDDs approx. 1 minute after DVR shutdown. Approx. 2-2.5 minutes before a Scheduled Recording with the DVR OFF, Both HDDs get powered up for that Recording.

Hi Guys, My TWC (NC) / Mystro Navigator 8300HD setup has been giving me fits for the past 6-8 weeks. I've have an external SATA (500GB) connected for a while w/o any problems and now we are having to manually reboot the system about 2 or 3 x a week to force it to "play nice" with the eSATA setup. It will simply not be able to access the shows on the drive until it is rebooted. I've notice NOW that the drive appears to be powering down because the drive activity LED is not active when the 8300HD is turned OFF. Before now the external drive NEVER powered down as it always was recording to the device with the largest free space. The DVR has also missed 1 or 2 recordings because it gets into a hung state.

I have also noticed that when I power on the 8300HD, I hear the external drive spin up so I'm pretty sure this is new behavior as prior to these problems started, the drive remained on all the time as it was the record target due to largest amount of free space.

I SUSPECT that TWC has picked up this Hard Drive Power Mgt Feature but defaulted the Mystro setting to power off when the 8300HD turns off and of course has provided NO advanced menu option to change the behavior in Mystro as described in these earlier appends. I checked the drive to, and there are no pin options to force it to not power down and there's nothing in the firmware either to force it to remain on.

I have also found that if we leave the 8300HD powered on 24/7, we have a lot less problems with the external drive not being used and shows getting missed... but its not perfect. I hear the DVR reboot itself about 1 x a week automatically. I guess they are doing this for buggy code or with updates. Sometimes this TWC induced reboot will hang up the external drive b/c it has not spun up when the DVR boots. I usually have to reboot it manually.

Any suggestions? Anyone else seeing this behavior? I see another guy reporting similar problems on another thread.

I do not want to swap out my 8300HD for an 8300HDC or these new Samsung units TWX is handing out as I've read about the multitude of problems people have been having w/ these, especially when attaching an eSATA device and the default drive is simply too damn small for all the HD shows we filter thru.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:55 AM

I agree with keeping the 8300HD turned on to minimize the esata hard drive detection issues.

This might just be a case of you having a problematic esata enclosure or hard drive.

I use Thermaltake's ST0005U coupled with a 1.5GB Seagate. It's been troublefree when the dvr is powered on. So I just left it on 24/7.

Does anyone know if the ST0005U supports drive bigger than 1.5GB?
Old 12-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Well I tried every combo of powering down and powering on the 8240 and my 1TB external sata drive and I can't get it recognize. Oddly when I do disconnect the sata cable or the power to the ext drive and then reconnect the picture freezes for 10 seconds then it comes back, every time. So it definitely recognizes that something is being connected but it never asks me to format etc.

To rule out the drive going bad I connected it to my PC and it worked fine, I did a quick format on it and reconnected it to the 8240 with no effect.

I guess my only option is to find a store that has an 8300 that I can trade for??

Thanks guys.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:45 PM

Well, like bryan said, you'll need to get the equipment from your local cable provider. Getting any other unit that is not part of the cable company's inventory will not be wise.

@Bryan, Is there a way of taking the recordings from my esata hard drive and transfer them unto my htpc and or turn them into a video dvd?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I tried every combo of powering down and powering on the 8240 and my 1TB external sata drive and I can't get it recognize. Oddly when I do disconnect the sata cable or the power to the ext drive and then reconnect the picture freezes for 10 seconds then it comes back, every time. So it definitely recognizes that something is being connected but it never asks me to format etc.

To rule out the drive going bad I connected it to my PC and it worked fine, I did a quick format on it and reconnected it to the 8240 with no effect.

I guess my only option is to find a store that has an 8300 that I can trade for??

Thanks guys.

When I attempt to connect a New HDD to my 8240HDC it also freezes and locks up for up to a minute, so definitely the DVR is noticing the connection, but does nothing about it.

I actually received a response from Cox stating they were aware of the issue and were looking into the issue. Hope it wasn't just B.S.
If you are in Phoenix and have a SA8240HDC I urge you to Email: az.coxarizonahelp@cox.com sent it Attention Matt, and tell them you want this issue resolved.

Update:
I went to my neighbors who have an 8300HD and connected an Ext HDD and it immediately prompted for the format, formatted HDD, and worked as expected.

I'm gonna hit up some other neighbors to find another 8240HDC and test it.

Attached are the prompt we should be seeing.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:54 AM

I am having the same issues. We just switched from Directv to Blue Ridge cable in PA. The SA8300HDC only has a 160Gig hard drive so I want to add an external disk. After reading lots of info here I purchased a WD1001FALS and a Antec MX-1 enclosure. The cable box is running Passport 3.1.086 and refuses to recognize the new disk drive. I called the cable company and all they said was to have both boxes running and plug in the eSata cable followed by a pop up screen to accept formating the new hard drive. I never get the screen to accept formatting. I tried all the possible power up sequences. I do notice the programs freeze for about 10 seconds and then just continue with no attention pop up when I connect the eSATA cable. I don't know what to do next. Different cable box or drive or enclosure? Thanks for any new ideas.