8300HD and External SATA - It Works!! - Page 291 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8701 of 9018 Old 04-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Member
 
MrJitters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vermont
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdrummond View Post

Well, I hate to say, but there is not a short term success here. Not only do the FF/REW/Pause buttons not work for live TV, nothing at all records. I spent the weekend reformatting, rebooting, changing cables, etc., etc., etc. So I guess it is time to punt and go with the set up that Bryan_CoxPHX has.

The TWC tech supervisor wants to see if he can get my 2 TB drive to work in his shop. I think the theory is that if he can get it to work in his shop on an 8300HDC, then it should work on mine. We will see... in the meantime off to order some parts...

If you are still running SARA on your box you really have no choice but to fall back to a 1TB external. Brian's solution is extremely good.

Let us know what the Tech Supervisor has to say about the 2TB.

Good luck.

My TV is powered by coal. 
MrJitters is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8702 of 9018 Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Newbie
 
wmdrummond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I used a modified version of Bryan_CoxPHX's configuration. I ordered this 1 TB Black Caviar HDD http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=6251742 and this Sabrent enclosure http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=2427201.

I also ordered the eSATA to SATA cable just in case the enclosure had compatibility problems. It turns out that the enclosure had no problems but I did not want to wait another week if there were problems.

Anyway, I plugged it all in and it worked the first time. I started out with 36% used and after the reboot it was down to 5%. I recorded two 2-hour-and-something HD movies and it showed 7% used. Both movies played back without any problems and they were on the external drive because the light was flashing madly. While I played one movie back, I recorded two more. Now it shows 10% used. I have scheduled recordings all night to really test things, but I suspect all will be OK.

I will take the 2 TB drive to the TWC tech next week and let them see if they can get it to work. I doubt that I will do that void the 3-year warranty by taking the drive out of the enclosure just to see if it is the enclosure circuitry that is causing the problem. I may order the 2 TB drive without an enclosure and test that.

Thank you to all for the help/support/advice!!
wmdrummond is offline  
post #8703 of 9018 Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Member
 
MrJitters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vermont
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdrummond View Post

Well, I used a modified version of Bryan_CoxPHX's configuration. I ordered this 1 TB Black Caviar HDD http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=6251742 and this Sabrent enclosure http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=2427201.

I also ordered the eSATA to SATA cable just in case the enclosure had compatibility problems. It turns out that the enclosure had no problems but I did not want to wait another week if there were problems.

Anyway, I plugged it all in and it worked the first time. I started out with 36% used and after the reboot it was down to 5%. I recorded two 2-hour-and-something HD movies and it showed 7% used. Both movies played back without any problems and they were on the external drive because the light was flashing madly. While I played one movie back, I recorded two more. Now it shows 10% used. I have scheduled recordings all night to really test things, but I suspect all will be OK.

I will take the 2 TB drive to the TWC tech next week and let them see if they can get it to work. I doubt that I will do that void the 3-year warranty by taking the drive out of the enclosure just to see if it is the enclosure circuitry that is causing the problem. I may order the 2 TB drive without an enclosure and test that.

Thank you to all for the help/support/advice!!

Glad things worked out for you. What are you using for a power supply?

My TV is powered by coal. 
MrJitters is offline  
post #8704 of 9018 Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Newbie
 
wmdrummond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJitters View Post

Glad things worked out for you. What are you using for a power supply?

The enclosure came with a power supply. If the enclosure not worked, I would have used the power supply from it or an old ATX power supply.

With over 7 new movies recorded in HD I am still only showing 7% used. I am recording 2 now and playing back another that I recorded earlier. I was out of the house for a while and expected to come home and find that the system had rebooted a few times.. :::knock on wood::: but nothing seems to be upsetting it. It seems to be handling anything and everything that I throw at it.

Hmm... I wonder if I should order in a bunch of these things and then put an add on the local TWC 'want ad' channel.
wmdrummond is offline  
post #8705 of 9018 Old 04-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
danki6x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdrummond View Post


Hmm... I wonder if I should order in a bunch of these things and then put an add on the local TWC 'want ad' channel.

You would not want the headache with all the variations and problems people will have with it and the calls you would get to help (even if works 100% for you). TWC did not want the headache and does not "support" external drives. /Dan
danki6x is offline  
post #8706 of 9018 Old 05-09-2011, 05:25 AM
Member
 
King_Stannis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. Purchased a Western Digital 1TB DVR expander for my TW 8300HD DVR (Mystro) last week. It installed correctly, the dvr show list went down from 70% to 8%. Everything was fine.

Yesterday I noticed the DVR was recording something, but when I checked there was nothing showing up on the DVR list and nothing was scheduled. In fact, the DVR percent was still around 9%. It may have been doing this phantom "recording" the better part of a day. I decided to unplug the 8300, and while it was unplugged I also swapped out the SATA cable that came with the DVR expander (apparently the one WD gives is prone to go bad). So, when everything is back up and running I see that the DVR has stopped recording but the DVR percentage is up to 25% now.

I don't think I have 25% filled, especially with the DVR expander. But it's also not at the upper reaches of the 8300HD only capacity, either, which is where I would expect it to be if it weren't recognizing the expander, given the number of shows I have recorded. The cables do appear hooked up correctly. I'm wondering if all the stuff the box was "recording" yesterday is gumming up the works, so to speak. But there is nothing in my DVR list other than the shows I scheduled to record.

Is there a secret cache of shows I can't see? What would cause the DVR to go from 9% up to 25% like that? Any help would be appreciated.
King_Stannis is offline  
post #8707 of 9018 Old 05-09-2011, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
phousley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dublin, OH (Columbus area)
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When powered on, the DVR is always recording. It's buffering both tuners, allowing you to pause and rewind current programming. It now sounds like its not using your external drive. If it's no longer recording, I'd put things back the way you had it.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

phousley is offline  
post #8708 of 9018 Old 05-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Member
 
King_Stannis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

When powered on, the DVR is always recording. It's buffering both tuners, allowing you to pause and rewind current programming.

Yeah, but the red recording light is not always on when it is doing that normal buffering. I noticed this when a friend was over and said "hey, what are you recording now?", having seen the light. That's when I checked the DVR list and saw nothing being recording.

Come to think of it, I tried to switch channels later on when I only thought one show was recording, but when I did I got the old "two shows are recording, do you want to cancel one" message. The other show was not on the DVR list at the time (showing the recording was in process). I decided to not change channels and see what happened, and when they were both done recording there was that other program in the list, right where it should have been. I have no idea why it didn't show when it was in the middle of recording.

I will check the cable connection again, though, when I get home.
King_Stannis is offline  
post #8709 of 9018 Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
clear31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a western digital dvr expander for both my 8300 hd's

it works great at times but i've noticed on each of my boxes that once in awhile my DVR won't boot up right away when I turn it on. If I unplugged the expander from my 8300 though the 8300 hd would turn on instantly

Can anyone explain why my cable box at times will not show a picture instantly and why I have to wait a bit? Am I doing something wrong? It is happening on both boxes
clear31 is offline  
post #8710 of 9018 Old 05-10-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by clear31 View Post

I recently bought a western digital dvr expander for both my 8300 hd's

it works great at times but i've noticed on each of my boxes that once in awhile my DVR won't boot up right away when I turn it on. If I unplugged the expander from my 8300 though the 8300 hd would turn on instantly

Can anyone explain why my cable box at times will not show a picture instantly and why I have to wait a bit? Am I doing something wrong? It is happening on both boxes

What IPG are the 8300HDs running? SARA or Passport or other?
What is the Model # of the WD Expander?

A couple of ideas come to mind.
The DVR could be set to turn HDDs off with Settop (Passport IPG) or
The WD Expanders HDD is going into a power saving mode and turning off the HDD.
Possible bad eSATA Cable or connection.
Possible bad power supply to the WD Expander

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #8711 of 9018 Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
clear31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

What IPG are the 8300HDs running? SARA or Passport or other?
What is the Model # of the WD Expander?

A couple of ideas come to mind.
The DVR could be set to turn HDDs off with Settop (Passport IPG) or
The WD Expanders HDD is going into a power saving mode and turning off the HDD.
Possible bad eSATA Cable or connection.
Possible bad power supply to the WD Expander

it's SARA

my model of Wd expander is - WDBABT0010HBK-NESN


I called my company, Cablevision and they simply said they wanted to send me a technician. I didn't feel the need for that.

I am wondering is there an option to keep the cable box to always be powered on?? Is it bad to keep it powered on?? I was messing with the settings and saw the AC Outlet option and picked Always On and i'm not sure if that will remedy anything.

Right now everything seems to be working but like I said once in awhile it seems i'll have to wait a moment for my DVR to turn on. Thanks for any help provided
clear31 is offline  
post #8712 of 9018 Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by clear31 View Post

it's SARA

my model of Wd expander is - WDBABT0010HBK-NESN


I called my company, Cablevision and they simply said they wanted to send me a technician. I didn't feel the need for that.

I am wondering is there an option to keep the cable box to always be powered on?? Is it bad to keep it powered on?? I was messing with the settings and saw the AC Outlet option and picked Always On and i'm not sure if that will remedy anything.

Right now everything seems to be working but like I said once in awhile it seems i'll have to wait a moment for my DVR to turn on. Thanks for any help provided

If you are using the AC plug on the back of the DVR to power your Ext HDD, that might be your problem. Plug the Ext HDD directly into a power strip, preferably a good surge protected one.

WD external hard drive spins down after several minutes of inactivity
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/.../130/p/208,337

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #8713 of 9018 Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
clear31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

If you are using the AC plug on the back of the DVR to power your Ext HDD, that might be your problem. Plug the Ext HDD directly into a power strip, preferably a good surge protected one.

WD external hard drive spins down after several minutes of inactivity
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/.../130/p/208,337

no, I have the external hdd plugged into a power strip.

When my cable box is on, everything is great. It seems to be like every two or three days though there is an issue with one of the DVR's.

I'll end up having to reboot the DVR and everything goes back to normal or i'll have to unplug the external HDD from the DVR to get it running again.

Since the external hard drive powers down, is there a way to get it to load up from time to time even throughout the night while people are sleeping and nothing is recording?

thanks for all the advice Bryan
clear31 is offline  
post #8714 of 9018 Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
danki6x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by clear31 View Post

Since the external hard drive powers down, is there a way to get it to load up from time to time even throughout the night while people are sleeping and nothing is recording?

thanks for all the advice Bryan

Record a 1/2 hour series at night and set to only keep 1 show so it keeps replacing that one. With one combination of stuff, I actually hooked my set-up to a lamp timer so it rebooted every night since I would lose external HDD nearly everyday and needed to reboot each time. /Dan
danki6x is offline  
post #8715 of 9018 Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
clear31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post

Record a 1/2 hour series at night and set to only keep 1 show so it keeps replacing that one. With one combination of stuff, I actually hooked my set-up to a lamp timer so it rebooted every night since I would lose external HDD nearly everyday and needed to reboot each time. /Dan

Thanks

i'm going to do this

How long does it usually take for the HDD to power down if there is inactivity??
clear31 is offline  
post #8716 of 9018 Old 05-11-2011, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by clear31 View Post

Thanks

i'm going to do this

How long does it usually take for the HDD to power down if there is inactivity??

I have never used a pre-built DVR Expander, I guess that is just one of the downsides of using one with a Green Drive with a power saving feature. Green Drives have not been the choice of those that build their own.

You might want to attempt downloading WD SmartWare and connecting the Ext HDD to a computer to see if you can disable the power saving mode.
The last tab in the program is for power save. Simply turn it off, if the Smartware is installed on the HDD.

You could also leave the DVR on all the time, although I believe the DVR running SARA still goes into power saving mode itself, I remember mine did when I had SARA version 1.90.5.a113

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #8717 of 9018 Old 05-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Member
 
TOR047's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you tried to replace the internal hard drive?
TOR047 is offline  
post #8718 of 9018 Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Newbie
 
RedP85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if I want to swap the internal drive to a 1Tb, but would like to copy /
preserve the data of the actual one, which software should I be using, running it on a PC with XP ?
Thanks.
RedP85 is offline  
post #8719 of 9018 Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Member
 
TOR047's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILANI View Post

UPDATED INFO

Xnappo's SATA Databases. Tracks compatibility issues between SA8300HD and various SATA drives/enclosures: Interactive Program Guide Images. Useful for determing which software is being used: Installation Instructions

ORIGINAL POST
At least in Shrewsbury, MA. Our town owns and operates its own cable company, so they do their own thing, but we're running SARA version 1.85.17.3.

So, I ordered the following items:

External enclosure (black plastic)-
http://www.addonics.com/products/ext.../aeehdsa35.asp

SATA I to eSATA External Cable-
*** LINK NOW DEAD

And a 120GB Maxtor Ultra Series SATA drive.

I plugged the unit in as described in the 8300HD manuals found online, and the 8300HD recognized the external drive and asked me if I wanted to format it. Once this was done (it did this very quickly) the remaining disk space on my existing 8300HD increased accordingly.

Now, I had to "fill up" my fairly new 8300HD's internal drive enough to equalize the remaining disk space on each drive. Once this was done, the 8300HD recorded my next recording to the external drive (the 8300HD always records to the drive with the most remaining space, and ping pongs back and forth).

So, if anyone has any questions, let me know.
-D

Have you tried to replace the internal hard drive, or is this not an option?
TOR047 is offline  
post #8720 of 9018 Old 05-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Member
 
TOR047's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post

if I want to swap the internal drive to a 1Tb, but would like to copy /
preserve the data of the actual one, which software should I be using, running it on a PC with XP ?
Thanks.

I would keep the original drive isolated from all experiments incase something goes wrong while testing.
TOR047 is offline  
post #8721 of 9018 Old 05-29-2011, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR047 View Post

Have you tried to replace the internal hard drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post

if I want to swap the internal drive to a 1Tb, but would like to copy /
preserve the data of the actual one, which software should I be using, running it on a PC with XP ?
Thanks.

Replacing the internal HDD in the US would not be recommended, due to the fact the Cable Co owns the equipment. And should never be attempted by a novice.

With that warning out of the way, there is plenty of info on the Rodgers Canada Forum for SARA IPG users, if one is so inclined.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

The Internal HDD in the SA8300HD and 8240HDC is a PATA HDD and the largest, reasonably priced, PATA HDD is the 500GB WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKB. PATA to SATA adapters have not proved very successful in the long term.
As for cloning a DVR HDD, G4L works great.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #8722 of 9018 Old 06-06-2011, 04:11 AM
Member
 
jcorwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just added a WD DVR Expander SATA drive to my TWC 8300HD. This external drive previously worked perfectly on my previous Comcast 8300HD. The DVR recognized the drive and formatted it, but I don't see any increase in space when looking at my recorded list. Is this normal, or does this mean that the DVR really isn't recognizing the drive?
jcorwin is offline  
post #8723 of 9018 Old 06-06-2011, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorwin View Post
I just added a WD DVR Expander SATA drive to my TWC 8300HD. This external drive previously worked perfectly on my previous Comcast 8300HD. The DVR recognized the drive and formatted it, but I don't see any increase in space when looking at my recorded list. Is this normal, or does this mean that the DVR really isn't recognizing the drive?
Is your 8300HD running SARA or Navigator MDN?
If SARA check the Diagnostic Menu to see if the Ext HDD is listed.

The DVR will record to the HDD that has the most available space.
Easy way to check if the Ext is being used, Record a program with the Ext attached. Disconnect the Ext and reboot and see if the program will still play. If the recording does not play then reconnect Ext and check again.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #8724 of 9018 Old 06-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
danki6x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorwin View Post
I just added a WD DVR Expander SATA drive to my TWC 8300HD. This external drive previously worked perfectly on my previous Comcast 8300HD. The DVR recognized the drive and formatted it, but I don't see any increase in space when looking at my recorded list. Is this normal, or does this mean that the DVR really isn't recognizing the drive?
You also may need to reformat on PC first since it was used on a previous system and may need to be seen as "new" for the new box instead of "already" formatted. I think you should have seen the increase. /Dan
danki6x is offline  
post #8725 of 9018 Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Member
 
jcorwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post


Is your 8300HD running SARA or Navigator MDN?
If SARA check the Diagnostic Menu to see if the Ext HDD is listed.

The DVR will record to the HDD that has the most available space.
Easy way to check if the Ext is being used, Record a program with the Ext attached. Disconnect the Ext and reboot and see if the program will still play. If the recording does not play then reconnect Ext and check again.

The DVR is running Mystro software. On diagnostics page 23 is disk info. There is a bunch of info about the internal drive, and number of devices lists 1. I assume that means it is not recognizing the ext drive, even though it formatted it. Maybe I'll try to trade in the box and hopefully get an 8600 series replacement.
jcorwin is offline  
post #8726 of 9018 Old 06-07-2011, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorwin View Post

The DVR is running Mystro software. On diagnostics page 23 is disk info. There is a bunch of info about the internal drive, and number of devices lists 1. I assume that means it is not recognizing the ext drive, even though it formatted it. Maybe I'll try to trade in the box and hopefully get an 8600 series replacement.

Did you try recording a program and disconnecting the Ext HDD, to see where the program had been recorded? (See Above).

In your diagnostic menu look for the size of the AVFS File.
If the Ext HDD is not being recognized AVFS would be less than 160GB
If the Ext HDD is being recognized AVFS would be less than (160GB + Size of Ext HDD).

Examples:
  • No Ext HDD, AVFS ~ 140GB
  • Ext HDD = 500GB, AVFS ~ 600GB
  • Ext HDD = 1TB, AVFS ~ 1100GB

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #8727 of 9018 Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Member
 
cpercival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a new esata drive for my 8300hd and need some advice. I am a Massachusetts Charter customer currently running an 8300HDC (SARA) with an older WD 500G DVR expander. This setup seems to work ok. I also have a 8300HD to which I would like to add a DVR expander. This box was recently updated to the Rovi (Passport, I believe) IPG. I tried hooking my DVR expander to this box and it seemed to recognize it, but I get this awful tiling/freezing/skipping that makes it unwatchable. Disconnected the drive and everything seemed normal again. It seems that most people have success with the 8300HD and not so much with the 8300HDC (opposite of my problem). Did the IPG update cause this and will my 8300HDC stop working when it gets updated? If this is true, has anyone with my setup had success with the new WD DVR expander (WDBABT0010HBK)?

Also, it seems the method for getting the diagnostic screens to appear has changed on the updated box. It had been hold down Select until mail icon blinked, then press info. This doesn't work anymore. Anyone know how to get to it?

ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M motherboard; Intel i3-3225, 3.30 GHz, HD Graphics 4000 processor, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit; Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI; Pioneer PDP-5080HD 1366 x 768 Plasma Display; Marantz SR7000 Non-HD Receiver; Logitech Harmony One; Eden 11.0; Aeon Mq3
cpercival is offline  
post #8728 of 9018 Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 AM
BWX
Senior Member
 
BWX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I just got these delivered yesterday (below)- actually for backing up all my PS3 data, but I tried them out on my 8300HD (TWC) via eSATA first and it recognized the HD and I was able to record 2 HD programs while playing another HD show back..

I just did it to test out the enclosure and HD to see if it would work, as I already have a 1TB HD hooked up to my other DVR.. and I cannot buy my old Azio enclosure anywhere that I know works.. Anyway- I know this combination below works, and if needed you can always use a jumper on pin 5 and 6 to change the mode to 1.5gb/s if you get any glitching.

Rosewill RX35-AT-SC SLV Full Aluminum Cover, Metal Tray 3.5" Silver USB2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182179

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136533


We got "upgraded" from SARA to Navigator last year, and after that the 8300HDC did not work at all with an external HD, I had to go back to the 8300HD. Anyway, if anyone cares, those two above work.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
BWX is offline  
post #8729 of 9018 Old 06-10-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpercival View Post

I'm looking for a new esata drive for my 8300hd and need some advice. I am a Massachusetts Charter customer currently running an 8300HDC (SARA) with an older WD 500G DVR expander. This setup seems to work ok. I also have a 8300HD to which I would like to add a DVR expander. This box was recently updated to the Rovi (Passport, I believe) IPG. I tried hooking my DVR expander to this box and it seemed to recognize it, but I get this awful tiling/freezing/skipping that makes it unwatchable. Disconnected the drive and everything seemed normal again. It seems that most people have success with the 8300HD and not so much with the 8300HDC (opposite of my problem). Did the IPG update cause this and will my 8300HDC stop working when it gets updated? If this is true, has anyone with my setup had success with the new WD DVR expander (WDBABT0010HBK)?

Also, it seems the method for getting the diagnostic screens to appear has changed on the updated box. It had been hold down Select until mail icon blinked, then press info. This doesn't work anymore. Anyone know how to get to it?

Diagnostic Mode for Passport
To Enter Diagnostic Mode: Simultaneously press and hold the SELECT and EXIT buttons until "DIAGNO" or "DIAG" appears. Release the buttons, then press EXIT and the the box tunes itself to the multi-page Diagnostics channel. After this process the Diagnostic pages can be accessed by directly tuning to that channel using the remote, once you know the channel.
Most likely the Diag Menu is a channel listed in the guide also.

The Following threads for Cox Rovi Passport also applies to the 8300HDC, The 8240HDC and the 8300HDC are the same except the 8300HDC has both an Analog and Digital Tuner, were the 8240HDC is just Digital.

eSATA External HDD Expansion on the 8240HDC/8300HDC and 8300HD

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r251...w-External-HDD

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #8730 of 9018 Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Member
 
weetoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spent the night reading about 8300HD and others. My reading told me that some will and some won't allow an external drive. I'd like to be sure before I buy.

I have a 8300HDC s/n SABRTGRJT, ODN 4.0.2.4 and I've seen the word "mystro" but not the word "Navigator". The box has a 160GB WDC drive.
I would like to add a eSATA drive. There is a port in the rear. Maybe a 500GB or 1T externally.

From what I have shown you, can you tell if it will accept the eSATA drive.

Thanks
weetoots is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off