Forum Jump: 

post #8731 of 9018 Old 06-16-2011, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weetoots View Post

I spent the night reading about 8300HD and others. My reading told me that some will and some won't allow an external drive. I'd like to be sure before I buy.

I have a 8300HDC s/n SABRTGRJT, ODN 4.0.2.4 and I've seen the word "mystro" but not the word "Navigator". The box has a 160GB WDC drive.
I would like to add a eSATA drive. There is a port in the rear. Maybe a 500GB or 1T externally.

From what I have shown you, can you tell if it will accept the eSATA drive.

Thanks

The HDC model does not support eSATA, but the HD model does. That's what I'm using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 9018 Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 AM

I recently purchased a 1 TB WD DVR Expander (WDBABT0010HBK-NESN) for my SA8300HD running the Passport IPG. Charter is my provider and I live in Massachusetts. Install went fine. Powered up the box, then powered up the drive. Asked me if I wanted to format. Did that and saw a big free space improvement. There are 2 problems that I am running into now:
1) If I pause or rewind a live show, the picture will often freeze then skip forward, tile and pixelate pretty badly, or even skip back 30 seconds or so.
2) To test it's recording prowess, I scheduled a bunch of HD recordings overnight. When I checked the following morning, maybe a third of them either ended early or started late, and I didn't get full recordings.
I still have another 10 days or so the return the HD if I can't figure this out. Did I pick the wrong one? Is the speed of the drive or its cache size the issue? I can't find specs for it. What's a better drive if the DVR Expander is the culprit?
Any help would be appreciated.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M motherboard; Intel i3-3225, 3.30 GHz, HD Graphics 4000 processor, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit; Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI; Pioneer PDP-5080HD 1366 x 768 Plasma Display; Marantz SR7000 Non-HD Receiver; Logitech Harmony One; Eden 11.0; Aeon Mq3
post #8733 of 9018 Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't think that is true. From what I remember reading here, the HDC works with some systems, but not others. It is not a matter of the esata port working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPrometheus View Post

The HDC model does not support eSATA, .

post #8734 of 9018 Old 06-16-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Go to the very first post in this thread. There is a data base for people's results with various externals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpercival View Post

I recently purchased a 1 TB WD DVR Expander (WDBABT0010HBK-NESN) for my SA8300HD running the Passport IPG. Charter is my provider and I live in Massachusetts. Install went fine. Powered up the box, then powered up the drive. Asked me if I wanted to format. Did that and saw a big free space improvement. There are 2 problems that I am running into now:
1) If I pause or rewind a live show, the picture will often freeze then skip forward, tile and pixelate pretty badly, or even skip back 30 seconds or so.
2) To test it's recording prowess, I scheduled a bunch of HD recordings overnight. When I checked the following morning, maybe a third of them either ended early or started late, and I didn't get full recordings.
I still have another 10 days or so the return the HD if I can't figure this out. Did I pick the wrong one? Is the speed of the drive or its cache size the issue? I can't find specs for it. What's a better drive if the DVR Expander is the culprit?
Any help would be appreciated.

post #8735 of 9018 Old 06-16-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Go to the very first post in this thread. There is a data base for people's results with various externals.

No listing for Charter there. Also, what specifically is causing the freezing and the incomplete recordings? Is it the transfer speed, the drive speed, the size of the cache? The box recognizes the drive so compatability doesn't seem to be the issue. It just chokes on the data.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M motherboard; Intel i3-3225, 3.30 GHz, HD Graphics 4000 processor, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit; Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI; Pioneer PDP-5080HD 1366 x 768 Plasma Display; Marantz SR7000 Non-HD Receiver; Logitech Harmony One; Eden 11.0; Aeon Mq3
post #8736 of 9018 Old 06-16-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

The provider is generally not relevant. It is the software and hardware. The data base indicates what works with Passport. I run SARA so I'm not that familiar with Passport and whether there are different versions of Passport that work and don't work. Check the data base and see if the DVD Expander always works or is iffy. If it is iffy take it back and get an HD that seems to always work per the data base.

Quote:

No listing for Charter there. Also, what specifically is causing the freezing and the incomplete recordings? Is it the transfer speed, the drive speed, the size of the cache? The box recognizes the drive so compatability doesn't seem to be the issue. It just chokes on the data.

post #8737 of 9018 Old 06-16-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Charter uses Rovi Passport Echo as does Cox. Which is what I am running.
The most likely problem is the power-saving feature of the WD DVR Expander (WDBABT0010HBK-NESN) WD uses a AV-GP Green HDD, (WD10EVVS) with 8MB Cache in the unit. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=150

Your best bet is to return the prebuilt WD DVR Expander and get a WD Caviar Black HDD, see my signature. DIY-eSATA DVR Expander WD Caviar Black, No Enclosure

See also: Passport eSATA External HDD Expansion on the 8240HDC/8300HDC and 8300HD

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #8738 of 9018 Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 AM

After using an external esata drive with various models of Comcast DVR's branded Comcast, Cisco, SA or Motorola I have found that:

An external drive larger than 500GB willnot function correctly, if at all.
It may format, at least on a Cisco RNG200HD, the latest box, but you will get various errors and space over 500 GB is not even recoginized. I have been able to get a 750GB drive to work, for a time, but the functionality is still unreliable and the space over 500GB is not available.
The brand of HD is not an issue, nor is the speed of the drive 7200RPM~5400RPM. The brand of external enclosure may be, as the SATA I/O interface may vary somewhat from one brand to another. This should not be if they were all designed to the specifications of the interface but this does not appear to be the case. But the bottom line is that you will never get a drive larger than 500GB to work reliabily.

Comcast has no real information on this size limitation,, Surprise,,,,or even knows what you are talking about usually. Call them and ask, they just look down the "answer list" not find one and say something absurd. SA does not release any information on their publicly available literature either. I don't know if this limitation is part of the DVR's hardware programming or in the software of the Guide interface. We have just received the "new" Comcast Guide in Houston and I have not yet tried a larger drive using it. I will soon and will post what I find. When I asked Comcast's advance tech service they said "the new guide contained many new features". I thanked them for the useful information.
You lose all recorded programming if you change the external drive then reattach the previous one. Each time a drive is attaced it is formated if it's directory does not match the directory on the DVR. This also makes it impossibe to replace a full external drive with a new one and then later retach the 1st drive to play archived material on it.
A rather senseless limitation and typical of cable TV providers. It is difficult to understand the poor performance of huge companies; selecting horrible pieces like their REMOTE CONTROLS (purchased in millions), Cable boxes that are, at best, very low quality and stupid Guide implementation, the "new" Comcast guide is, in most respects, inferior to the previous antique one ....... until you consider that they are all virtual monoplies with no real competition. Satellite is not without its problems but I am about to go to Dish and forget cable. With a Dishnetwork DVR, 622,722,922 at least maybe others, you can add up to a 1TB external drive..........BUT they charge you a fee ($69) to turn on the esata port allowing you to do so. Charge you to attach your own drive!!

Please excuse the rant but I have fought this problem for years.
post #8739 of 9018 Old 06-19-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I just want to clarify: I guess you are talking about Comcast and whatever software it uses and that should be clear. With other systems, 1tb externals work just perfectly. Furthermore, you can replace an external drive with a new one and then reconnect the previous drive without losing anything that it is on it. Also, the drives and probably speeds do matter, at least on my system. That is why the data base show people's experience with what works and what does not work.

What I am saying is that I don't want anyone to misunderstand your post as a generalization for all systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardio View Post

After using an external esata drive with various models of Comcast DVR's branded Comcast, Cisco, SA or Motorola I have found that:

An external drive larger than 500GB willnot function correctly, if at all.
It may format, at least on a Cisco RNG200HD, the latest box, but you will get various errors and space over 500 GB is not even recoginized. I have been able to get a 750GB drive to work, for a time, but the functionality is still unreliable and the space over 500GB is not available.
The brand of HD is not an issue, nor is the speed of the drive 7200RPM~5400RPM. The brand of external enclosure may be, as the SATA I/O interface may vary somewhat from one brand to another. This should not be if they were all designed to the specifications of the interface but this does not appear to be the case. But the bottom line is that you will never get a drive larger than 500GB to work reliabily.

Comcast has no real information on this size limitation,, Surprise,,,,or even knows what you are talking about usually. Call them and ask, they just look down the "answer list" not find one and say something absurd. SA does not release any information on their publicly available literature either. I don't know if this limitation is part of the DVR's hardware programming or in the software of the Guide interface. We have just received the "new" Comcast Guide in Houston and I have not yet tried a larger drive using it. I will soon and will post what I find. When I asked Comcast's advance tech service they said "the new guide contained many new features". I thanked them for the useful information.
You lose all recorded programming if you change the external drive then reattach the previous one. Each time a drive is attaced it is formated if it's directory does not match the directory on the DVR. This also makes it impossibe to replace a full external drive with a new one and then later retach the 1st drive to play archived material on it.
A rather senseless limitation and typical of cable TV providers. It is difficult to understand the poor performance of huge companies; selecting horrible pieces like their REMOTE CONTROLS (purchased in millions), Cable boxes that are, at best, very low quality and stupid Guide implementation, the "new" Comcast guide is, in most respects, inferior to the previous antique one ....... until you consider that they are all virtual monoplies with no real competition. Satellite is not without its problems but I am about to go to Dish and forget cable. With a Dishnetwork DVR, 622,722,922 at least maybe others, you can add up to a 1TB external drive..........BUT they charge you a fee ($69) to turn on the esata port allowing you to do so. Charge you to attach your own drive!!

Please excuse the rant but I have fought this problem for years.

post #8740 of 9018 Old 06-20-2011, 02:20 AM

Incidentally, I have been successfully using a 1TB eSATA drive on one Time Warner SA 8300HD cable box, and a 300GB eSATA drive on another cable box of the same type, but that is not why I am writing.

In my experience, I have found that Time Warner does not adequately regression test their software updates on relatively older equipment. This has become extremely irritating with regard to their cable modems, so I recommend that everyone trading theirs in every 3-6 months for a newer model. Now, even though that issue is with regard to cable modems, it has informed my suspicion that Time Warner also does not adequately regression test their software updates on relatively older cable boxes, such as the SA 8300 HD, as I've noticed increasing instability in my units. Accordingly, I plan to trade these cable boxes in for newer models/units that support eSATA drives, but doing so would destroy my existing eSATA "video library" as the content is encrypted with keys specific to each cable box unit. So, before doing that, I need to archive my "video library" somehow, and I'm writing to find out what has worked for the community.

What method do you recommend?

I have a rare Philips DVD recorder which accepts _component_ input, which I had hoped would be allow me to archive the content in HD via the component outputs on the SA 8300 HD, but the video quality that results is somehow very disappointing. If anyone has insights as to how to remedy this, please do tell.

Otherwise, I'm thinking of a few video capture solutions now on the market which should accept HD content via _component_ input, and will supposedly store a resulting output file on my computer. Is anyone using one of these? What has been your experience?

Thank you!
post #8741 of 9018 Old 06-20-2011, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Incidentally, I have been successfully using a 1TB eSATA drive on one Time Warner SA 8300HD cable box, and a 300GB eSATA drive on another cable box of the same type, but that is not why I am writing.

In my experience, I have found that Time Warner does not adequately regression test their software updates on relatively older equipment. This has become extremely irritating with regard to their cable modems, so I recommend that everyone trading theirs in every 3-6 months for a newer model. Now, even though that issue is with regard to cable modems, it has informed my suspicion that Time Warner also does not adequately regression test their software updates on relatively older cable boxes, such as the SA 8300 HD, as I've noticed increasing instability in my units. Accordingly, I plan to trade these cable boxes in for newer models/units that support eSATA drives, but doing so would destroy my existing eSATA "video library" as the content is encrypted with keys specific to each cable box unit. So, before doing that, I need to archive my "video library" somehow, and I'm writing to find out what has worked for the community.

I have a rare Philips DVD recorder which accepts _component_ input, which I had hoped would be allow me to archive the content in HD via the component outputs on the SA 8300 HD, but the video quality that results is somehow very disappointing. If anyone has insights as to how to remedy this, please do tell.

Otherwise, I'm thinking of a few video capture solutions now on the market which should accept HD content via _component_ input, and will supposedly store a resulting output file on my computer. Is anyone using one of these? What has been your experience?

Thank you!

It doesn't matter what you put into it. It's only going to record in SD.

I have the Hauppauge. It might be the best thing I've ever bought.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #8742 of 9018 Old 06-20-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you!

I have been using a Panasonic DMR-EH50, S-Video to S-Video for several years and the PQ @ 480p is amazing for SD, when recording an HD broadcast. If it ever died and I couldn't repair it, I would get a Magnavox MDR515H to replace it.

I also record from OnDemand on a regular basis, and have a dedicated 3250HD STB connected to the Panny DVD-R which has TVGOS.

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #8743 of 9018 Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:

I spent the night reading about 8300HD and others. My reading told me that some will and some won't allow an external drive. I'd like to be sure before I buy.

I have a 8300HDC s/n SABRTGRJT, ODN 4.0.2.4 and I've seen the word "mystro" but not the word "Navigator". The box has a 160GB WDC drive.
I would like to add a eSATA drive. There is a port in the rear. Maybe a 500GB or 1T externally.

From what I have shown you, can you tell if it will accept the eSATA drive.

Thanks

I emailed Oceanic TWC referencing my SA8300HDC and the addition of an eSATA drive.
Their response: The DVR has an eSATA port on the back. To verify if your DVR is capable of using an external hard drive, please check the manufacturers label on the bottom of the DVR. If the unit shows that it is Rev:2.0 or later then an external hard drive will work with the unit. Mine shows Rev:6.3.
SA has aligned functionality of these DVR's to work with these external SATA HDD manufacturers models: Iomega, Seagate, Western Digital and Maxtor.
Appropriate SATA drives are labeled that they are compatable SA DVR set-tops.
SA does not warranty the reliablity of the SATA HDD. Time Warner does not support the use of external drives at this time. It may be used by the customer at their own risk.

Fair enough.
post #8744 of 9018 Old 06-23-2011, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I emailed Oceanic TWC referencing my SA8300HDC and the addition of an eSATA drive.
Their response: The DVR has an eSATA port on the back. To verify if your DVR is capable of using an external hard drive, please check the manufacturers label on the bottom of the DVR. If the unit shows that it is Rev:2.0 or later then an external hard drive will work with the unit. Mine shows Rev:6.3.
SA has aligned functionality of these DVR's to work with these external SATA HDD manufacturers models: Iomega, Seagate, Western Digital and Maxtor.
Appropriate SATA drives are labeled that they are compatable SA DVR set-tops.
SA does not warranty the reliablity of the SATA HDD. Time Warner does not support the use of external drives at this time. It may be used by the customer at their own risk.

Fair enough.

No Cable Company "Officially Supports" eSATA Ext HDDs.
TWC Navigator ODN has the least likelihood for success.
But the 8300HD with Navigator MDN will most likely work.
Stay away from the prebuilt DVR Expanders and just use a WD Caviar Black HDD,

You should contact AVSF member BenJF3 as he seems to be the TWC ODN expert.

Time Warner Cable Navigator Forum

post #8745 of 9018 Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

This is the most definitive response we've ever seen from TWC.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #8746 of 9018 Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

This is the most definitive response we've ever seen from TWC.

Only took 6 years

xnappo
post #8747 of 9018 Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 PM

Haste makes waste.

Also in the email TWC Oceanic said,
"You may also be able to find some forums on the internet which discuss how to connect the external drive and what specfic drives will work with the DVR. I would suggest searching the internet for assistance.

Aloha
post #8748 of 9018 Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 AM

Running Passport Echo 3.1.092 and PowerTV version is 6.14.98.1sp. Tuner levels are at -3 dBmV. I am living in Massachusetts and have Charter as my provider. I used the setup as described by user Bryan_CoxPHX except for the external drive, which was the 6 MB/S, 64 MB cache version (WD1002FAEX). Rest of the setup includes StarTech 6 Ft. Shielded Internal to external eSATA to SATA Cable, M/M (SATA2ESATA6); VANTEC HDC-502A Aluminum Hard Disk Cooler; Cooler Guys CG 110v AC to 12v DC 4pin molex Power Adapter; ATX Molex Power to SATA Power Adapter; SIIG CE-PR0112-S1 Hard Disk Protector Sleeve for 3.5"Drive. These were all purchased through Amazon. First did a fresh reboot of cable box, then plugged sata/esata cable into the cable box and hard drive, then powered up the hard drive. A few seconds later I was asked to format the drive. A minute later and it was done. It has only been hooked up for a day, but no glitching at all, even when stressing the drive by recording two HD programs and watching one of them in time-shift. Will report later with a long term update. Thanks to everyone for the help.

post #8749 of 9018 Old 06-25-2011, 03:46 PM

I have been pleasantly using an external device for some years. Once the power supply went out on the external. Bought a new box put in the drive and fine ever since.

However it was a 160gig drive and I keep running out of space.

Today I put a brand new Seagate 1gig 32mb buffer 7200rpm drive in. It would not recognize the drive. I followed all the directions to the letter and it would not give me the message asking me to format it.

So, took the drive out and tested it for everything on my pc - checks out fine.

Put the old drive back in the box connected to the 8300. Works fine.

What is going on here ? Also with the Passport there is no way to get to the diagnostics that we used to have before Cox "upgraded" us to Passport. So I could not see if at least the hardware was recognizing it.

Suggestions any one ???

Thanks,
/phil
post #8750 of 9018 Old 06-25-2011, 03:47 PM

Make that a brand new 1 TB drive.

/phil
post #8751 of 9018 Old 06-25-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Conundrum View Post

I have been pleasantly using an external device for some years. Once the power supply went out on the external. Bought a new box put in the drive and fine ever since.

However it was a 160gig drive and I keep running out of space.

Today I put a brand new Seagate 1gig 32mb buffer 7200rpm drive in. It would not recognize the drive. I followed all the directions to the letter and it would not give me the message asking me to format it.

So, took the drive out and tested it for everything on my pc - checks out fine.

Put the old drive back in the box connected to the 8300. Works fine.

What is going on here ? Also with the Passport there is no way to get to the diagnostics that we used to have before Cox "upgraded" us to Passport. So I could not see if at least the hardware was recognizing it.

Suggestions any one ???

Thanks,
/phil

Diagnostic Mode for Passport
To Enter Diagnostic Mode: Simultaneously press and hold the SELECT and EXIT buttons (on the DVR itself) until "DIAGNO" or "DIAG" appears. Release the buttons, then press EXIT and the the box tunes itself to the multi-page Diagnostics channel. After this process the Diagnostic pages can be accessed by directly tuning to that channel using the remote, once you know the channel.
Most likely the Diag Menu is a channel listed in the guide also.

See the post above yours, Success with a WD Caviar Black, most here would agree that is the HDD to use.

post #8752 of 9018 Old 06-25-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Diagnostic Mode for Passport
To Enter Diagnostic Mode: Simultaneously press and hold the SELECT and EXIT buttons until "DIAGNO" or "DIAG" appears. Release the buttons, then press EXIT and the the box tunes itself to the multi-page Diagnostics channel. After this process the Diagnostic pages can be accessed by directly tuning to that channel using the remote, once you know the channel.
Most likely the Diag Menu is a channel listed in the guide also.

See the post above yours, Success with a WD Caviar Black, most here would agree that is the HDD to use.

I tried using the select/exit earliier today multiple times on multiple remotes and did not succeed in getting into diagnostic mode.

/phil
post #8753 of 9018 Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Conundrum View Post

I tried using the select/exit earliier today multiple times on multiple remotes and did not succeed in getting into diagnostic mode.

/phil

SELECT and EXIT buttons on the DVR. Thanks for noting the distinction, I will revise the instructions.

Also note the difference in power-up sequence between SARA and Passport.
Passport IPG Instructions for connecting an External eSATA HDD
First, Power up the DVR with TV on, (Ext HDD powered off.)
Second, Power up the connected Ext eSATA HDD with the DVR running, and you should be prompted to press "A" to format.
The Passport IPG now only recognizes the Ext if the DVR is running, not during the bootup process like it did with SARA.

post #8754 of 9018 Old 06-26-2011, 03:00 PM

Liked: 14
Several nights ago, while watching a recorded program the picture froze and I received a message the recorded program was not available and to try again later. I then went to Show List and tried to access another recorded program without success. Although all the recorded programs were listed I couldn't access any and the Recorded Capacity which was at 43% earlier was now at 0%. I removed the drive, reformatted, ran ChkDsk and everything checked out ok. Now the DVR does not recognize the external drive. Anyone have any suggestions?

Prior to the problem listed above I've been getting pixilation and freezing on some recorded HD programs. This usually happens the first 15 minutes of a program. I've also gotten black out in the middle of shows. Sometimes I could FF past this to get back to recorded material and sometimes I had to delete the program because nothing was recorded. Was this an indication of impending problems?

My setup:
TWC SA/Cisco 8300HD DVR
WD Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX SATAIII HD
SIIG CE-PR0112-S1 R HD Protector Sleeve
Cable Tripp P952-003 RT SATA to eSATA (I-L) Cable
Vantec HDC-521A Alum. HD Cooler
110v AC to 12v DC 4-Pin ATX Molex Power Adapter

--Ed
post #8755 of 9018 Old 06-26-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulator8 View Post

Although all the recorded programs were listed I couldn't access any and the Recorded Capacity which was at 43% earlier was now at 0%. I removed the drive, reformatted, ran ChkDsk and everything checked out ok. Now the DVR does not recognize the external drive. Anyone have any suggestions?

That certainly sounds like impending hard drive failure despite your successful chkdsk. There are several things that can fail on a hard drive...I just received a replacement 750 GB Seagate hard drive 2 days ago; the original seemed fine to me, but was triggering a S.M.A.R.T. error upon booting (thankfully I was using it internally via SATA, not as an external USB drive, which I believe is unable to communicate S.M.A.R.T. info). I Binged the S.M.A.R.T. error code (kidding, only kidding, I Googled it) and it was related to a mechanical failing causing the spin-up time to be grossly excessive. If ignored, I'm confident that the drive would eventually fail to spin-up altogether (though it never actually exhibited any symptoms that I could notice, other than the S.M.A.R.T. error message that occurred at boot time after the memory check, and the Windows 7 error message that told me the drive was likely to fail soon).

I highly recommend that you download, install and run the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Tools for Windows

Do not run it using a USB external drive connection. Run it using eSATA or SATA.
post #8756 of 9018 Old 06-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

That certainly sounds like impending hard drive failure despite your successful chkdsk. There are several things that can fail on a hard drive...I just received a replacement 750 GB Seagate hard drive 2 days ago; the original seemed fine to me, but was triggering a S.M.A.R.T. error upon booting (thankfully I was using it internally via SATA, not as an external USB drive, which I believe is unable to communicate S.M.A.R.T. info). I Binged the S.M.A.R.T. error code (kidding, only kidding, I Googled it) and it was related to a mechanical failing causing the spin-up time to be grossly excessive. If ignored, I'm confident that the drive would eventually fail to spin-up altogether (though it never actually exhibited any symptoms that I could notice, other than the S.M.A.R.T. error message that occurred at boot time after the memory check, and the Windows 7 error message that told me the drive was likely to fail soon).

I highly recommend that you download, install and run the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Tools for Windows

Do not run it using a USB external drive connection. Run it using eSATA or SATA.

Thanks. I will give the Diagnostic Tools a try and report back.
--Ed
post #8757 of 9018 Old 06-26-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I will give the Diagnostic Tools a try and report back.
--Ed

Check your power supply too, when mine went bad I had a similar experience.

post #8758 of 9018 Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Check your power supply too, when mine went bad I had a similar experience.

Do I check output voltage with a VOM? I think it should be 12v & 5v DC right?

--Ed
post #8759 of 9018 Old 06-26-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do I check output voltage with a VOM? I think it should be 12v & 5v DC right?

--Ed

Correct, but under load you want to make sure it is still putting out ~2 Amps

post #8760 of 9018 Old 06-26-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Correct, but under load you want to make sure it is still putting out ~2 Amps

How do I check amperage?

--Ed
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List