8300HD and External SATA - It Works!! - Page 296 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8851 of 9018 Old 01-13-2012, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Bryan_CoxPHX and deanbrew for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8852 of 9018 Old 01-13-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

I traded in my old 8300 and got a new 8240, and the new one works with my DVR expander. I just plugged it in according to instructions and it works fine.

Was this in Phoenix or PA?

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8853 of 9018 Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Is 1TB the max for the external hard drive? I was looking at getting a newer external hard drive and noticed most of them are now USB 3.0/2.0 and only a select few are e-sata. Will these work as well? Thanks
post #8854 of 9018 Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has to be esata. I don't know of any success with a HD over 1tb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycasey17 View Post

Is 1TB the max for the external hard drive? I was looking at getting a newer external hard drive and noticed most of them are now USB 3.0/2.0 and only a select few are e-sata. Will these work as well? Thanks

post #8855 of 9018 Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Has to be esata. I don't know of any success with a HD over 1tb.

Thanks for the quick reply
post #8856 of 9018 Old 01-14-2012, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do you guys turn off your external hard drives or leave them on all the time? Should I just leave the fan to off or only turn it on when watching a movie from it... Perhaps just leaving the side panel off the rosewill enclosure and leave fan off?
post #8857 of 9018 Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

Do you guys turn off your external hard drives or leave them on all the time? Should I just leave the fan to off or only turn it on when watching a movie from it... Perhaps just leaving the side panel off the rosewill enclosure and leave fan off?

Do not turn off your eSATA drive unless you want to disconnect it after powering down set-top box. The set-top box will manage its power state. The blue lights use maybe 0.5 watt.
post #8858 of 9018 Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 PM

Hey guys I bought my dad a Western Digital MyBook AV DVR Expander 1TB for christmas and we tried to set it up this week, I have the 8300HD 320GB operated by Vidéotron in Montreal. The DVR recognizes the drive and can write on it for a few hours when we set it up, but after a couple of hours, it just stops recording. The red light still appears and it tells me it is recording, but when I go in the list, nothing appears. The tech support of VIdéotron told me that 1TB might be too much for the DVR, cause it can normally support no more than twice it's capacity, so 640GB, he told us to go with a 500GB, the problem is that it's been more than a month and I can't bring it back to the store so is there a way to make it work? Thank you!
post #8859 of 9018 Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

1 TB drives work fine. I don't know how well those MYBooks work though. I haven't looked at the database for experiences with various setups recently. Have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisbriere View Post

Hey guys I bought my dad a Western Digital MyBook AV DVR Expander 1TB for christmas and we tried to set it up this week, I have the 8300HD 320GB operated by Vidéotron in Montreal. The DVR recognizes the drive and can write on it for a few hours when we set it up, but after a couple of hours, it just stops recording. The red light still appears and it tells me it is recording, but when I go in the list, nothing appears. The tech support of VIdéotron told me that 1TB might be too much for the DVR, cause it can normally support no more than twice it's capacity, so 640GB, he told us to go with a 500GB, the problem is that it's been more than a month and I can't bring it back to the store so is there a way to make it work? Thank you!

post #8860 of 9018 Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:

1 TB drives work fine. I don't know how well those MYBooks work though. I haven't looked at the database for experiences with various setups recently. Have you?

maybe hack it to create an ending hidden partition that SA8300HD does not see?
post #8861 of 9018 Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 AM

You could also re-purpose the WD eSATA drive. Get a Rosewill eSATA case and approved drive. I use Rosewill on my Dad's DVR (and I used to before going cable card).
post #8862 of 9018 Old 02-15-2012, 11:35 AM

Hooked up WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ the SATA cable which came w/ the Rosewill enclosure to 8300HD. When I turned ON pwr, it didn't ask to format drive?? When I checked diagnostics screen under HDD it shows 1TB external drive as device 2 but partitions for device 2 are zero....do I have to format drive and create partitions before connecting?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions...I appreciate everyone posting here w/ helpful suggestions. I searched here but couldn't find the answer. If it has been discussed before, please direct me to it -- thanks again.
SARA - Cablevision
post #8863 of 9018 Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

No partitioning required. More to the point: is it working? Has your available space decreased? If not, did you follow the instructions for connecting/power up order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy3na View Post

Hooked up WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ the SATA cable which came w/ the Rosewill enclosure to 8300HD. When I turned ON pwr, it didn't ask to format drive?? When I checked diagnostics screen under HDD it shows 1TB external drive as device 2 but partitions for device 2 are zero....do I have to format drive and create partitions before connecting?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions...I appreciate everyone posting here w/ helpful suggestions. I searched here but couldn't find the answer. If it has been discussed before, please direct me to it -- thanks again.
SARA - Cablevision

post #8864 of 9018 Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:

No partitioning required. More to the point: is it working? Has your available space decreased? If not, did you follow the instructions for connecting/power up order?

Thanks for your quick reply. I just figured the power on order was the problem. When I unplugged the drive (w/ 8300HD ON) and powered drive back again, "Format" option came on the tv. And afterwards used % went from 99% to 13% !!

Anyway, now if I turn off the 8300HD, it takes about 2-3 minutes before I see anything on the tv. Is this normal? Is the hard disk going tto sleep or something? Any solution?

edit: also the 8300hd seem to hang at times -- when I push "guide" I won't see it for a long while -- very annoying. I'd think this has been experienced by others -- I just need more time searching here.
post #8865 of 9018 Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Try a reset/reboot on the 8300. Mine will start limping along similar to what you describe. Eventually it will reboot it self, but it's easier to just do it yourself and be done with it- and you won't be in the middle of something when it decides to do it on its own.

Quote:

Thanks for your quick reply. I just figured the power on order was the problem. When I unplugged the drive (w/ 8300HD ON) and powered drive back again, "Format" option came on the tv. And afterwards used % went from 99% to 13% !!

Anyway, now if I turn off the 8300HD, it takes about 2-3 minutes before I see anything on the tv. Is this normal? Is the hard disk going tto sleep or something? Any solution?

edit: also the 8300hd seem to hang at times -- when I push "guide" I won't see it for a long while -- very annoying. I'd think this has been experienced by others -- I just need more time searching here.

post #8866 of 9018 Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 AM

I am running a SA8300HD box with a Fantom Green Drive 1TB drive connected here in NYC on TWC. Everything sorta works but I am having some issues. It's running Mysto, which is Navigator I believe.

When I initially connected it, I had everything off. Connected the drive via estata, then turned on both the box and the drive. It went though its boot cycle and when the Mysto countdown hit 6 it said that my drive wasn't properly formatted. It said press A to continue, never said press A to format. I did this, then the countdown resumed. It finished and then rebooted again. Once it came back up, my storage went from 86% to 6%, success!

But....

Some recordings are now showing up in the list but when you select them, the screen just goes black. You cannot FF/RW, you have to change the channel to get out of the program. Then you can go in and delete the program but it never plays. It's real hit and miss, I can't seem to find a pattern to which programs end up like this.

The other thing is that when I reboot the box by unplugging it, it will always say the external drive isn't set up properly and essentially reformats it every time. The capacity is always very low, so it sees the drive, but all the recordings after the reboot are the black screen type listed above.

Is the "black screen" recordings an error related to the external drive? Is it possible it's a low signal issue?

Is my drive really formatted? Is it possible the box sees the drive but can't actually use it? And why would it reformat every time I reboot the box?

Thanks in advance!
post #8867 of 9018 Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty sure IF (not sure what you mean by "essentially" it is reformatting you are losing whatever is recorded on the external. Obviously, it should not be reformatting after a reboot. This could explain why you have a title on the list which resides on the internal HDD but the recording on the external is not available. With SARA when my external loses contact with the unit and I click on the title I simply get a screen saying press list; I don't get a black screen. Not sure how Navigator handles this.

Make sure you are connecting and powering up in the proper order. I have SARA so my procedure is different than Navigator.

Do some experimentation. Try and find out when it is recording properly and when it isn't and what the circumstances are. Maybe try rewind during a recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos View Post

I am running a SA8300HD box with a Fantom Green Drive 1TB drive connected here in NYC on TWC. Everything sorta works but I am having some issues. It's running Mysto, which is Navigator I believe.

When I initially connected it, I had everything off. Connected the drive via estata, then turned on both the box and the drive. It went though its boot cycle and when the Mysto countdown hit 6 it said that my drive wasn't properly formatted. It said press A to continue, never said press A to format. I did this, then the countdown resumed. It finished and then rebooted again. Once it came back up, my storage went from 86% to 6%, success!

But....

Some recordings are now showing up in the list but when you select them, the screen just goes black. You cannot FF/RW, you have to change the channel to get out of the program. Then you can go in and delete the program but it never plays. It's real hit and miss, I can't seem to find a pattern to which programs end up like this.

The other thing is that when I reboot the box by unplugging it, it will always say the external drive isn't set up properly and essentially reformats it every time. The capacity is always very low, so it sees the drive, but all the recordings after the reboot are the black screen type listed above.

Is the "black screen" recordings an error related to the external drive? Is it possible it's a low signal issue?

Is my drive really formatted? Is it possible the box sees the drive but can't actually use it? And why would it reformat every time I reboot the box?

Thanks in advance!

post #8868 of 9018 Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Try a reset/reboot on the 8300. Mine will start limping along similar to what you describe. Eventually it will reboot it self, but it's easier to just do it yourself and be done with it- and you won't be in the middle of something when it decides to do it on its own.

Thx very much -- rebooting 8300hd solved the long delay!

Yesterday I had 2 channels recording simultaneously for a while. When I watched one of those later, the video had issues - frequently it stops briefly and continues - rather annoying but I got thru watching it regardless. I wonder if it was because while I was watching it, there was another channel being recorded. Too bad I deleted the recording from the dvr so I can't now check playing it while the dvr is not recording another program. Did you experience this? I haven't read this whole thread but it might have been discussed-- so I need to explore more of the threads.
post #8869 of 9018 Old 02-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Pretty sure IF (not sure what you mean by "essentially" it is reformatting you are losing whatever is recorded on the external. Obviously, it should not be reformatting after a reboot. This could explain why you have a title on the list which resides on the internal HDD but the recording on the external is not available. With SARA when my external loses contact with the unit and I click on the title I simply get a screen saying press list; I don't get a black screen. Not sure how Navigator handles this.

Make sure you are connecting and powering up in the proper order. I have SARA so my procedure is different than Navigator.

Do some experimentation. Try and find out when it is recording properly and when it isn't and what the circumstances are. Maybe try rewind during a recording?

What is the exact order that I should be powering up? I looked through a few pages but could not find it in the thread.

And yes, it is reformatting after each hard reboot of the box and drive. Each time the box says my "drive is not properly configured do I want to continue press A". I wonder if I need to format it on my computer then reconnect?
post #8870 of 9018 Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos View Post

What is the exact order that I should be powering up? I looked through a few pages but could not find it in the thread.

And yes, it is reformatting after each hard reboot of the box and drive. Each time the box says my "drive is not properly configured do I want to continue press A". I wonder if I need to format it on my computer then reconnect?

Mikos, for Cablevision (w/ SARA) the powering seq which worked for me is to first unplug the ext HDD pwr, reboot 8300HD, turn on TV and 8300HD (I had some channel on tv) then plug the pwr to the Ext HDD. If the HDD format is not correct, it asks whether to format -- if it already has the correct format then it gives a message on how to remove it safely whenever. May be TWC & Mysto work differently, I don't know. Good luck.
post #8871 of 9018 Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Mikos, for Cablevision (w/ SARA) the powering seq which worked for me is to first unplug the ext HDD pwr, reboot 8300HD, turn on TV and 8300HD (I had some channel on tv) then plug the pwr to the Ext HDD. If the HDD format is not correct, it asks whether to format -- if it already has the correct format then it gives a message on how to remove it safely whenever. May be TWC & Mysto work differently, I don't know. Good luck.

Thanks for the sequence, I will give it a shot. I don't have a lot on the drive, so I won't be losing a ton if it doesn't work properly.
post #8872 of 9018 Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

No, it should not have glitches like you describe. When everything is fine, you should be able to record two HD programs while watching a recorded HD program- a max stress test. There should be no glitches like you describe. If it is messed up, it recorded that way, the playback is not messed up because something else was recording while you watched.

Quote:

Thx very much -- rebooting 8300hd solved the long delay!

Yesterday I had 2 channels recording simultaneously for a while. When I watched one of those later, the video had issues - frequently it stops briefly and continues - rather annoying but I got thru watching it regardless. I wonder if it was because while I was watching it, there was another channel being recorded. Too bad I deleted the recording from the dvr so I can't now check playing it while the dvr is not recording another program. Did you experience this? I haven't read this whole thread but it might have been discussed-- so I need to explore more of the threads.

post #8873 of 9018 Old 02-16-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

That's not how it works on my SARA system nor is it in the Scientific Atlanta instructions. Now it could very well be that works on Cablevision. Here's the link to the SC PDF. The instructions are on page 16.

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/Exp...ed/4003986.pdf

Whoops, just noticed OPO has Navigator rather than SARA. I have no idea what the Navigator sequence is. OP can experiment or try and track it down.

Quote:

post #8874 of 9018 Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:

That's not how it works on my SARA system nor is it in the Scientific Atlanta instructions. Now it could very well be that works on Cablevision. Here's the link to the SC PDF. The instructions are on page 16.

Whoops, just noticed OPO has Navigator rather than SARA. I have no idea what the Navigator sequence is. OP can experiment or try and track it down.

Thx for posting that pdf -- I was sure that was the seq I tried but the ext HDD didn't connect. To make sure, I tried that seq according to the doc several times but again the Ext HD didn't connect..(low space & 99% used shows up on dvr). Only difference is my signals go thru a Sony 7.1ch network a/v receiver -- but I don't think that matters. I made sure that was ON and the correct HDMI input was selected.

So I went back and did the seq in my prev post, and voila it connected to Ext HDD w/ a message how to disconnect.
post #8875 of 9018 Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:

No, it should not have glitches like you describe. When everything is fine, you should be able to record two HD programs while watching a recorded HD program- a max stress test. There should be no glitches like you describe. If it is messed up, it recorded that way, the playback is not messed up because something else was recording while you watched.

BigAssTV, you are right the glitches are in the recordings not just playback -- noticed the glitches in live TV (yesterday on MSGHD for example) when none was being recorded -- so it recorded the glitches as I see it on live tv. So far I can confirm the recordings from CBS and FOX in HD had annoying glitches. This morning I disconnected and connected all cables and re-booted and re-connected HDD. I didn't noticed anything in the short time I had it on. keeping my fingers crossed. I appreciate your helpful posts. Thanks.
post #8876 of 9018 Old 02-18-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:

I tried this sequence that was suggested, cable box on, then turn drive on. I then got a dialog box that said "the drive is not formatted, press A to continue". The dialog box is also not like any of the guide menus, it looks like a typical system menu from diagnostics. I have done this in the past and it would then "see" the drive and my space would be reduced. The strange thing is that every time I reboot the cable box, it says my drive isn't formatted. I think I am formatting it every time for whatever reason and I lose all my recordings.

Should I connect it to my pc and format it that way first? Would that help? Can I even get the right format?

I am still getting the "black screen" recordings. This basically means my box says I have the show, but when I hit play, the screen goes black. I can't fast forward or rewind.

I have an appointment with the cable guy on Friday, hopefully it is just a signal issue.
post #8877 of 9018 Old 02-18-2012, 07:29 PM

Mikos, from what I've read, the format is different from NTFS so I think it won't help to format on PC first.
post #8878 of 9018 Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 PM

Glitches are still there on my tv after adding the ext. HDD. It seems to definetely happen when I watch a program and then rewind the same program and watching it with a delay to the live program. Today I was watching CBSHD replay of a Persons of Interest live. About 20 min in, I rewound to almost to the beginning of that show and watched what I had just seen. This time there were glitches (picture & sounds stops briefly and jumps forward (basically small piece gets cutoff while video and audio freezes briefly.) It happens so frequently, that it will be annoying to watch a movie that way. There was nothing being recorded when I observed this today.

The other day the my dvr recordings had these glitches and I remember I had been rewinding and watching one of the programs. I don't know where to go from here. What's going on with this?
post #8879 of 9018 Old 02-19-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

hy3na and Mikos, I wish I could help, but I am at a loss. I am not that familiar with Navigator issues as I have SARA. Are you guys working with brand new drives? Mikos, you may want to take a flier and format in a PC in the unlikely event there is something on the HDD that is causing a problem.

Hy3na, can you return your drive? Clearly it is not functioning properly. If you haven't already done so, have you tried to do some test recording without the external attached just to make sure it's not something going on with the 8300 or your signal?
post #8880 of 9018 Old 02-19-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:

hy3na and Mikos, I wish I could help, but I am at a loss. I am not that familiar with Navigator issues as I have SARA. Are you guys working with brand new drives? Mikos, you may want to take a flier and format in a PC in the unlikely event there is something on the HDD that is causing a problem.

Hy3na, can you return your drive? Clearly it is not functioning properly. If you haven't already done so, have you tried to do some test recording without the external attached just to make sure it's not something going on with the 8300 or your signal?

It's a Fantom 1TB Green Drive. I read some others having luck with the drive and my box sees it. It's just odd that every time I reboot the cable box, it says my drive isn't formatted. And my storage percentage drops from a high number down to a single digit.

The "black screen" recordings are bizarre and they just started when I connected the drive to the cable box. All the other program errors prior were pixel issues, nothing like the unplayable recordings I am getting now.

I will connect and format the drive on my computer. And of course, post back the results. I also have a cable guy coming on Friday so we will see what he has to say.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page