post #9001 of 9018 Old 04-26-2014, 08:40 AM
BWX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENAJonas View Post

I am hoping I can get a definitive answer on this; I have searched relentlessly but could not get confirmation. Does anyone with an 8300HDC (not 8300HD) on TWC with the current OTN Nav. software still work w/ eSATA? Confirmation that this works in NYC would be even better. If I can get confirmation that TWC hasn't completely disabled the port by now and at least one member is working I plan on doing this, at least temporarily until my local office gets any of the newer Ciscos or Sammys in. I just got hit with the new lineup, deletion of all SD channels, and the corresponding extreme loss of DVR space.

Thanks so much to all,

No it doesn't work on "C" boxes, only 8300HD.   I ended up having to ditch 8300HD because in my area, they no longer work, at least BOTH of the ones I had stopped working properly at the exact same time last July, and in the exact same way.  So I think they did it on purpose. Now I am stuck with a tiny 500GB HD on the Samsung POS DVR.

Go find an 8300HD non-C DVR if you want it to work. otherwise, you are just wasting your time.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 9018 Old 04-26-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
500GB is STILL the largest built-in drive? Jesus. Glad my 8300HD still works.

SA8300HD
TWC Rochester, NY
Navigator
Western Digital WD10EACS 1TB Hard Drive
Antec Veris MX-1 enclosure (Apricorn eSATA enclosure died)
LG 42LC2D 42" LCD
Harmony 670 remote
post #9003 of 9018 Old 04-26-2014, 08:58 AM
BWX

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36

Yeah it is ridiculous.  500GB is nothing when recording movies and whatnot in HD.  I'm constantly having to decide what movie/show to delete..

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #9004 of 9018 Old 04-26-2014, 08:59 AM

Any news on upcoming options with larger drives?

SA8300HD
TWC Rochester, NY
Navigator
Western Digital WD10EACS 1TB Hard Drive
Antec Veris MX-1 enclosure (Apricorn eSATA enclosure died)
LG 42LC2D 42" LCD
Harmony 670 remote
post #9005 of 9018 Old 04-26-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephraim View Post

500GB is STILL the largest built-in drive? Jesus. Glad my 8300HD still works.

Is that still the only option for more storage? Mine is still working too with an external but we all know those internal drives have a limited lifespan. WHen that goes we may not be able to get a replacement unit. If that's still the only option I guess subscribing to web services will get you replays of network episodes but I don't think there is a good option for replays of NFL football?
post #9006 of 9018 Old 04-26-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think the 500g limit is because they did not make pata drives above 500g. I had a 400g external, I thought it was a sata. My 8300 internal is pata, not sure about the newer models (mine is not cc).

My internal drive died last summer, I just stuck another pata that I had laying around in and it brought it back to life. When I turn it back I will have to revert to the dead drive.

I had a lot of problems with external after the original pata that I had died. The seagates seem to stutter a lot. I have a 750g wd black labeled drive in there now and it seems to work fine.
post #9007 of 9018 Old 04-26-2014, 04:06 PM

just drop in an ide and power up? Thats all you have to do?
post #9008 of 9018 Old 04-27-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it's not easy to get in to the 8300, but it worked for me. A dead drive 8300 still tunes channels. I'm not sure why I didn't just take it back. I guess I assumed that it wasn't a pata drive and that I could put a bigger sata drive in. I forgot that my external was pata too so I shouldn't have been surprised.
post #9009 of 9018 Old 04-27-2014, 05:11 AM

my external is sata. I didn't think you could go external with anything but esata?
post #9010 of 9018 Old 04-27-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

It was such a long time ago that pata ruled the world. it was a wd 400g pata in an esata case. I completely forgot that they existed. If anyone wants the case, you can have it!
post #9011 of 9018 Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

I am fairly certain 1TB is the maximum eSATA Ext HDD recognized by the 8300HD/HDC and 8240HDC, It was when I had one, running both SARA and Passport.

Just want to thank you for the help you gave me about three years ago on how to resurrect my WD SATA drive. Finally found the time to do it and works like new.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #9012 of 9018 Old 04-27-2014, 07:21 PM

So internally it uses pata but externally esata? Is that how it's configured?
post #9013 of 9018 Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 AM

I have the Explorer 8300HD DVR and it been sitting for the lst 4 months. Not sure if I can use it anymore or understand what to use it for since I no longer use cable . Yes I'm one of those cable cutter guys who had enough with the provider and now use Netflix, Bluray movies and OTA signals. Was hoping that I could use 8300 HD DVR with the OTA but it does not have a tuner to select the channels. Anyone know how I might use the 8300 HD or should I just get rid of it siince it won't help record anything unless you have cable?
post #9014 of 9018 Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant D View Post

I have the Explorer 8300HD DVR and it been sitting for the lst 4 months. Not sure if I can use it anymore or understand what to use it for since I no longer use cable . Yes I'm one of those cable cutter guys who had enough with the provider and now use Netflix, Bluray movies and OTA signals. Was hoping that I could use 8300 HD DVR with the OTA but it does not have a tuner to select the channels. Anyone know how I might use the 8300 HD or should I just get rid of it siince it won't help record anything unless you have cable?

Check out this device. Not sure it's in the US yet but it's coming

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/05/simple-tv-take-2/

Beyond that hauppauge will record live tv I believe without a subscription.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Of course there's TIVO but the service fees are high.

I'm considering the same. Please report back on what you settle on. I think the 8300hd is useless to you for OTA.
post #9015 of 9018 Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the heads up NCguy2. Will post when I settle on a unit.
post #9016 of 9018 Old 05-02-2014, 02:13 PM

I was led here after searching for info about a "sleep issue" with external drives attached to an 8300HD.
Everything I have read so far seems to indicate a problem where the external drive goes to sleep and never wakes up again until a disconnect/reconnect or a power-cycle.
My external drive goes to sleep as well, but it also wakes up and the problem has to do with what happens when it does.

I have an 8300HD with Cablevision of Westchester, NY. A friend who switched to FiOS had an external drive from his 8300HD which he gave to me. It was already in an enclosure and worked great right from the start.

Sometime last year, the fan in the enclosure stopped working. The enclosure itself was pretty cheap/flimsy and rather than try to replace the tiny 40mm fan, I figured I'd just get a nice new enclosure with larger or multiple fans to keep things cooler.

I wound up purchasing one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G8QETS/

At some point after, I noticed that every so often while watching live TV, the picture would freeze for approximately 5 seconds, followed by a mechanical click and the sound of a hard drive spinning up.
Whatever I was watching would then pick up exactly where it left off, but there was no stuttering/glitching/pixelation otherwise.
I figured it was something with the drive in the STB itself, as it was quite old by that time, so I went and got another one.
Well, I had the same problem with the new STB (or so I thought)... I'd been meaning to look into this further, but everything is in a cabinet and not easy to get to, so I kept putting it off.
Since it only seemed to happen once-in-a-while, it wasn't too much of a disruption.

The other night, I happened to be sitting in a spot where I normally don't sit while watching TV in the dark.
Sure enough, at one point, the picture froze....1...2...3...4...5...*click*.... and now I see blue light bleeding through a cabinet door(?).
It was the LED on the external drive enclosure. So, it appears the external drive was in sleep mode and woke up. So now I'm thinking, why is the external drive going to sleep?
Is this a new feature of the OS in the 8300HD? My cable box is connected to a home automation system and when I turn off the TV, the STB also turns off. However, this has always been the case.
The only difference now is the new enclosure and the recent updates from Cablevision (most notably, the one that made the channel guide look like the Optimum App).

I've always seen the "press any button" followed by "please wait, hard drive powering up" when the STB was left on for some time, but if you hit a button while that message is up, you can still see live TV uninterrupted.
I guess the external drive is going to sleep with the STB, then waking up at some point after turning on the TV. I just want to know why I'm only seeing this now.

All this being said, I never looked into the make/model of the drive or enclosure because I never had to, but I was always under the impression that drive compatibility was the only factor.
It seems the chipset in the enclosure also needs to be considered(?).

So, is the external drive going to sleep because of an update to the 8300HD, or is it because I am using an enclosure that does not have a compatible chipset?

If due to an update, is there any way to defeat this? I was always told that the most amount of wear and tear on a HDD is from spinning up and spinning down, so aside from saving a few pennies a month in electricity, why not just let it stay up all the time? I could leave the box on 24/7, but then wouldn't the external drive still go to sleep due to inactivity at some point anyway?

Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you for reading!
post #9017 of 9018 Old 05-02-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
My external drive (My DVR Expander) never goes to sleep. Never could get a good answer from WD and my cable company on why it didn't.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #9018 of 9018 Old 05-02-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Look into the DVR Settings Menu, and see if there is a Power Management setting.

Rovi Passport Echo has two settings:
  1. Hard Drive Always On
  2. Hard Drive Power Off w/ STB

Choose "Always On" - When I had a SA8240HDC the External HDD would also power down w/ the DVR off, and this sometimes caused an issue.

Rovi Passport Echo for the SA8300HD(C) & 8240HDC looks like this:

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page